• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was the 2010 DmC originally going to be about?

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
It's a shame that the fan outrage forced NT into making Dante more "Dante". Looking back, I'd quite like to know what the hell they were originally intending, like the whole "what is your name" brainwashing thing they had going.

If people like me didn't react with a "WHAT THE **** IS THIS?" mindset, it may have ended in a much better story. Instead we got a Dante who is tries and fails to act like the old Dante, and a story which basically summed up as "Anonymous vs Fox News. Also, capitalism is bad"

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Corporatism is bad (big business, mainstream media brainwashing, bailing out banks, etc). They didn't necessarily imply true capitalism (small business and free markets) itself.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
I always got a horror or macabre feeling from the 2010 concept for DmC which when you think about it, really goes back to DMC's roots of being a horror-based hack n' slash rather than the over-the-top DMCs after DMC1. I mean, the torture, flashbacks, and overall twisted psyche and unhealthy look Dante gave made it look like DmC was supposed to be a horror hack n' slash dealing with corrupt corporation and government - disenfranchisement -; psychological breakdown and mental instability. Instead, we got an over-the-top hack n' slash dealing with corruption. I kind of wished we had the other just to see how different it would be compared to the one we have now.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I always got a horror or macabre feeling from the 2010 concept for DmC which when you think about it, really goes back to DMC's roots of being a horror-based hack n' slash rather than the over-the-top DMCs after DMC1. I mean, the torture, flashbacks, and overall twisted psyche and unhealthy look Dante gave made it look like DmC was supposed to be a horror hack n' slash dealing with corrupt corporation and government - disenfranchisement -; psychological breakdown and mental instability. Instead, we got an over-the-top hack n' slash dealing with corruption. I kind of wished we had the other just to see how different it would be compared to the one we have now.

So f*ck Capcom. Once again, they made a good Devil may Cry game into a less then interesting one. Though I like DmC, I wished they stuck with the 2010 plans. But it seems like with DMC4, Capcom fails me again.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
So f*ck Capcom. Once again, they made a good Devil may Cry game into a less then interesting one. Though I like DmC, I wished they stuck with the 2010 plans. But it seems like with DMC4, Capcom fails me again.
I would rather say the blame is to the very vocal fans. It's implied through the trailer, concept art, and some of the interviews that Ninja Theory wanted to stay close to DMC's roots as a horror hack n' slash while still having stylish and over-the-top gameplay. The concept arts suggests that even before Capcom said to make Dante even more different, Ninja Theory wanted to keep DmC dark and twisted. It wasn't until fans started lashing out that they, Capcom and NT, changed plans.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I would rather say the blame is to the very vocal fans. It's implied through the trailer, concept art, and some of the interviews that Ninja Theory wanted to stay close to DMC's roots as a horror hack n' slash while still having stylish and over-the-top gameplay. The concept arts suggests that even before Capcom said to make Dante even more different, Ninja Theory wanted to keep DmC dark and twisted. It wasn't until fans started lashing out that they, Capcom and NT, changed plans.
Yea, DmC was a very different thing originally and looked very interesting. They just tried to please the butthurt fans by trying to make it more like the thing they were complaining was disappearing and it still wasn't enough. A lot of people just never wanted to give this thing a fair shot. They were looking to hate it from the get go.

I still think it turned out quite amazing visually. The world design is just so damn good, it was a great idea to put so much effort into what are basically just combat arenas, because it really makes doing combos extra satisfying.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
It was all really probably going to be exactly like what we have now.

Remember that the 2010 trailer is a hook - a teaser. The cool "what is your name?" spliced together with someone beating the tar out of demons left and right was vocalize the question viewers are supposed to have, like "so who is this guy?" Then it culminates into "My name is Dante" to tell us that some things are changing, and that he was the protagonist for this iteration.

I incorporated the 2010 content the best I could in DmC -Stairway to Heaven-, but it still remains as something that was mostly a hook, and not something that was necessarily indicative of content that was changed or removed. I think, though, in the end that they did want to expand a bit more on some of the things they had shown us, since some of it isn't nearly as clear, but was truly thought out as if it was something they didn't have time and resources to expand upon.

Concept art, on the other hand, is a great way to see cut or changed content. However, sometimes concept is just that, a concept :tongue:

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
Yeah it did, but still I would've liked a more John Constantine-like Dante.
My feelings are pretty confused about this. I'd love to see a little bit of what the 2010 Dante was like, but I don't think I'd be very welcoming if a whole game was made detailing his adventures. Although I must admit he has a charming sense of rebellion even though he doesn't speak much in this trailer, I still think it would have strayed too far away from the attitude of our beloved character.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I'm not a fan of smoking at all but, I couldn't care less whether or not Dante does it. The way he put it out in the demon's eye was pretty cool and seemed like exactly something Dante would do.
Actually, it's funny you should bring up whether or not Dante is too cool to smoke.
I could see him smoking, just not cigarettes. The thing is, cigarettes aren't nearly as awesome as cigars, because they show you are slightly afraid of the inevitable consequences of tobacco.
My stance on smoking probably came from the fact that Godot (Ace Attorney) turned me into a coffee aficionado who thinks that real men drink it black.

And let's face it, Dante is a semi-invincible nephillim who literally has NO REASON to use filters.
So how about in the next game, a member of the Devil May Cry business offers Dante a cig. And Dante replies,

"I'm sorry, I don't smoke that filtered ****." And then pulls out a cigar

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Actually, it's funny you should bring up whether or not Dante is too cool to smoke.
I could see him smoking, just not cigarettes. The thing is, cigarettes aren't nearly as awesome as cigars, because they show you are slightly afraid of the inevitable consequences of tobacco.
My stance on smoking probably came from the fact that Godot (Ace Attorney) turned me into a coffee aficionado who thinks that real men drink it black.

And let's face it, Dante is a semi-invincible nephillim who literally has NO REASON to use filters.
So how about in the next game, a member of the Devil May Cry business offers Dante a cig. And Dante replies,

I wanna see him smoke pot.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

Do...you know how a cigar works? Because they're much healthier than cigarettes (at least on one's lungs). You're not even supposed to breathe it into your lungs, the point of a cigar is holding the smoke in your mouth for the taste - that's why flavored cigars are a thing.

Smoking a cigar is manly sure, because it isn't just sucking back smoke into your lungs. Really, to choose cigars over cigarettes based on the health benefits of the latter, or worse, specifically because "cigars are unhealthier" is...silly >.<

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
http://www.capcom.co.jp/dmc/column/images/zoom17.jpg

this old concept art shows us a tougher and scruffer looking vergil so im guessing he and dante grew up together and his uprising and the Order would have been less "Manhattan Projects" and more "Vox Populi".

the kid with them could have been a rebooted Nero.
The lower left picture of Dante looks so bishonen-y. All he needs are sparkles and he'd be fabulous. While darker Vergil with his single-edged sword would be another neat idea since Vergil in both DMC and DmC stays to the classy, calm, cold, and samurai-esque demon slayers with katanas who are driven by power and loss. This Vergil could of just been power-hungry or throughout the game he gets addicted to the violence, carnage, and power from killing head demons and influencing thousands if not hundreds of people. That'd be a bloody, good idea. Also, the smaller image in the middle has Vergil - it could be Sparda - with slicked-back hair that has horn-like ends. While the one on the right just has a spikier and sinister look to it. As for the kid, he could be Mundus's son, but through Dante and Vergil, decides to be good - so a bit like Damian Wayne or Hellboy. Or it's a younger version of the twins. It might even be a girl.

Ninja Theory really did have Combichrist on their minds since some of the early concept arts for Dante looked almost like Andy LaPlegua, the lead for Combichrist.
Andy%2BLaPlegua.png

Concept art; notice the sort of "angry" look they were giving him and the hairstyle. Aw, we could of had an aggrotech Dante... Oh well. Plus, the snub-nosed revolvers would of been a cool idea.
tumblr_mgozang7O51rblqwco5_1280.png

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The lower left picture of Dante looks so bishonen-y. All he needs are sparkles and he'd be fabulous. While darker Vergil with his single-edged sword would be another neat idea since Vergil in both DMC and DmC stays to the classy, calm, cold, and samurai-esque demon slayers with katanas who are driven by power and loss. This Vergil could of just been power-hungry or throughout the game he gets addicted to the violence, carnage, and power from killing head demons and influencing thousands if not hundreds of people. That'd be a bloody, good idea. Also, the smaller image in the middle has Vergil - it could be Sparda - with slicked-back hair that has horn-like ends. While the one on the right just has a spikier and sinister look to it. As for the kid, he could be Mundus's son, but through Dante and Vergil, decides to be good - so a bit like Damian Wayne or Hellboy. Or it's a younger version of the twins. It might even be a girl.

Ninja Theory really did have Combichrist on their minds since some of the early concept arts for Dante looked almost like Andy LaPlegua, the lead for Combichrist.
Andy%2BLaPlegua.png

Concept art; notice the sort of "angry" look they were giving him and the hairstyle. Aw, we could of had an aggrotech Dante... Oh well. Plus, the snub-nosed revolvers would of been a cool idea.
tumblr_mgozang7O51rblqwco5_1280.png
I think a legitimate criticism of TGS10 trailer was that Dante looked too drastically different that you couldn't reconcile this character with Dante of the classic. Its not about the hair as Chancey trivialized it as but that you couldn't see him grow into Dante of the classic series when he's more likely to become Zephyr from Resonance of Fate or Setsuna F Seiei from Gundam 00.

So it would have been interesting to see how they would have handled his transition from TGS10 to Classic Dante.

I would say the person with the white hair horns in the other picture is still Vergil since the other two are Dante and Kid with the same position as the last one. Well in the first light novel , he was more obvious sociopathic than DMC3 vergil so they probably wanted to gravitate towards that.

The kid could be a proto Kat, fulfilling her role as a morality pet.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think a legitimate criticism of TGS10 trailer was that Dante looked too drastically different that you couldn't reconcile this character with Dante of the classic. Its not about the hair as Chancey trivialized it as but that you couldn't see him grow into Dante of the classic series when he's more likely to become Zephyr from Resonance of Fate or Setsuna F Seiei from Gundam 00.

Well, the drastic change was what Capcom wanted to do, but even then I think it's a far leap to assume so much of Dante's character is difficult to ascertain for seeing him grow into something akin to the classic Dante. It was the first trailer, and there's so many things that can happen from the beginning of a story to its end; to not be able to see the possibilities is an utter lack of imagination, honestly.

Especially since in the classic series, Dante's childhood and reconciliation with the world of demons that started his business is a gigantic void of white noise in his backstory.

Take Crisis Core - Square gave Zack, a bit character that was still pivotal to FFVII's main plot, his own story that filled in huge gaps of nothing in his life, and the guy had his own grand adventure. If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

EllDawn

http://www.capcom.co.jp/dmc/column/images/zoom17.jpg

this old concept art shows us a tougher and scruffer looking vergil so im guessing he and dante grew up together and his uprising and the Order would have been less "Manhattan Projects" and more "Vox Populi".

the kid with them could have been a rebooted Nero.
Vergil looks like Kiefer Sutherland when he was in The Lost Boys. I would have loved seeing that.

What I'd love to see NT do is release a special edition of DmC that includes what they had wanted to include, but couldn't. Just ignore the fans and make the game their own. Judging by what was cut, it does look like they had wanted to make the game more challenging and in-depth. Maybe more like a psychological thriller, too. I would have loved that even more.

Top Bottom