• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was the 2010 DmC originally going to be about?

Sunaka Marién

No, they said he'd become "the Dante everyone knows and loves" when in actuality, he became more like DMC1 Dante, which is the Dante only half of the fanbase knows and loves.
Well, as far as his personality goes, yes, he did become the Dante "everyone knows and loves" (however you are right, he's more like DMC1 Dante, so not quite evreryone's fav), but since it was intended as a reboot from the start (at least as far as I know, although I think the media didn't make it really clear in the beginning), he wasn't going to be the exact same Dante; he's a character of his own.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Well, as far as his personality goes, yes, he did become the Dante "everyone knows and loves" (however you are right, he's more like DMC1 Dante, so not quite evreryone's fav), but since it was intended as a reboot from the start (at least as far as I know, although I think the media didn't make it really clear in the beginning), he wasn't going to be the exact same Dante; he's a character of his own.

As is every other Dante. The only difference with this one is that this Dante didn't have the same emo-like long white hair and flamboyantly red coat.

Sunaka Marién

As is every other Dante. The only difference with this one is that this Dante didn't have the same emo-like long white hair and flamboyantly red coat.
*sigh* no, you don't get, and I'm honestly not sure how to explain it; the other Dante's aren't individual character, since they weren't created to be individual characters, they were intended to be the same character. A character with character-inconsistencies, yes, caused by different people working on the story - people that couldn't be bothered to actually try and understand the character as it seems, yet, I still think that it's only DMC4Dante that made the character-inconsistencies as big as they are, because without 4, it would have made sense (of course, this is only my opinion, yadda yadda yadda, the usual disclaimer).

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
*sigh* no, you don't get, and I'm honestly not sure how to explain it; the other Dante's aren't individual character, since they weren't created to be individual characters, they were intended to be the same character. A character with character-inconsistencies, yes, caused by different people working on the story - people that couldn't be bothered to actually try and understand the character as it seems, yet, I still think that it's only DMC4Dante that made the character-inconsistencies as big as they are, because without 4, it would have made sense (of course, this is only my opinion, yadda yadda yadda, the usual disclaimer).

Whether intended or not, it doesn't change the fact that every Dante is not 100% the same. Each Dante is for the taste of different people.

Some like textbook heroes (DMC1)
Some like serious professionals (DMC2)
Some like shonen cocky hotheads (DMC3)
Some like...jokesters...or whatever the hell he was trying to be (DMC4)

When you boil down to it, even if its him in a different time period whether in his teens or late 30's, each Dante is still a different iteration of him.

Sunaka Marién

Whether intended or not, it doesn't change the fact that every Dante is not 100% the same. Each Dante is for the taste of different people.

Some like textbook heroes (DMC1)
Some like serious professionals (DMC2)
Some like shonen cocky hotheads (DMC3)
Some like...jokesters...or whatever the hell he was trying to be (DMC4)

When you boil down to it, even if its him in a different time period whether in his teens or late 30's, each Dante is still a different iteration of him.
...? It'd be illogical for him to always be 100% the same, because that'd mean he had absolutely no character development whatsoever <:/ Fact is, he's still the same character.

The Final Offer

...? It'd be illogical for him to always be 100% the same, because that'd mean he had absolutely no character development whatsoever <:/ Fact is, he's still the same character.

No, these Dantes are just in the same universe.

There is nothing connecting the attitudes in each installment. There is no significant character development.

DMC 1 is before DMC 4. SO why does Dante act like a man-child in DMC 4 and not DMC 1?

Sunaka Marién

No, these Dantes are just in the same universe.

There is nothing connecting the attitudes in each installment. There is no significant character development.

DMC 1 is before DMC 4. SO why does Dante act like a man-child in DMC 4 and not DMC 1?
Have you even read my previous posts? I already said that I think that DMC4 destroyed the picture and makes no sense whatsoever :/
The rest is sorta fine, not the best character development, but it can be seen.
Look, you have DMC3, where Dante starts out as an immature brat, but during the course of the game, he matures, not all that much, but you can see a change; give him a few more years, and it's quite natural for him to become DMC1Dante.
DMC2 again takes place several years after DMC1, so DMC1Dante developing into DMC2 is quite possible; as I already said, by the time of DMC2, he's been through a lot, maybe lost even more of the persons dear to him, I'd say that hardens and matures a person greatly.
So, there is character development, Capcom just made the great mistake to not show it on-screen, for the most part.

The Final Offer

Have you even read my previous posts? I already said that I think that DMC4 destroyed the picture and makes no sense whatsoever :/
The rest is sorta fine, not the best character development, but it can be seen.
Look, you have DMC3, where Dante starts out as an immature brat, but during the course of the game, he matures, not all that much, but you can see a change; give him a few more years, and it's quite natural for him to become DMC1Dante.
DMC2 again takes place several years after DMC1, so DMC1Dante developing into DMC2 is quite possible; as I already said, by the time of DMC2, he's been through a lot, maybe lost even more of the persons dear to him, I'd say that hardens and matures a person greatly.
So, there is character development, Capcom just made the great mistake to not show it on-screen, for the most part.

DMC 3 Dante become DMC 1 Dante....then changes back to DMC 3 Dante and then goes DMC 2 Dante.

Gotcha.

Sunaka Marién

DMC 3 Dante become DMC 1 Dante....then changes back to DMC 3 Dante and then goes DMC 2 Dante.

Gotcha.
Are you doing this on purpose? For the last time, I left out godforsaken DMC4Dante here on purpose, because he does NOT go with the rest logically, so do me a favor and spare me your "goes back to DMC3Dante" nonsense.
Edit: On 4Dante. Capcom screwed up. But that doesn't make him a different character.

The Final Offer

Are you doing this on purpose? For the last time, I left out godforsaken DMC4Dante here on purpose, because he does NOT go with the rest, so do me a favor and spare me your "goes back to DMC3Dante" nonsense.

I mean, you couldn't just take DMC 4 out. It is canon. I'm living by that law. Not the fan made one. So, the DMC universe has a messed up Dante with no character development.

Actually, a re-imagined Dante for each installment.

Sunaka Marién

I mean, you couldn't just take DMC 4 out. It is canon. I'm living by that law. Not the fan made one. So, the DMC universe has a messed up Dante with no character development.

Actually, a re-imagined Dante for each installment.
I know you can't just take out 4Dante in general. I only took him out for the connection of the rest. I know Capcom messed up (I actually just edited my previous post), I was never trying to say otherwise. But that doesn't mean you can just disregeard the rest of his character development, and it certainly doesn't make them different characters; look at it from the point of view of the rest of the cast in the games, for example Trish. For her, 1Dante and 4Dante are still the same person, Capcom messing up or not.
Surely, you could say they re-imagined Dante for each installment, but they did that with the intend of him still being the same character, whereas with DmC, he was going to be someone 'completely' new, and that's whatpeople were and still are mad about.

The Final Offer

I know you can't just take out 4Dante in general. I only took him out for the connection of the rest. I know Capcom messed up (I actually just edited my previous post), I was never trying to say otherwise. But that doesn't mean you can just disregeard the rest of his character development, and it certainly doesn't make them different characters; look at it from the point of view of the rest of the cast in the games, for example Trish. For her, 1Dante and 4Dante are still the same person, Capcom messing up or not.
Surely, you could say they re-imagined Dante for each installment, but they did that with the intend of him still being the same character, whereas with DmC, he was going to be someone 'completely' new, and that's whatpeople were and still are mad about.

Could you find me the source of this promise of a completely new character?

I found him different and familiar than the alternate universe's Dantes.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
My friend explain DMC4 Dante as him laughing at a funeral so to speak. His constant immaturity was his way of dealing with his brother's death and finding Nero (a relative of some kind).

Eventually the jokes stop and he slides into DMC2/Anime style quiet brooding. Or the writing sucks since they haven't made it clear in the stories themselves how these stories connect.

On topic- Final offer theorized that there could be some degree of exploration/open world. It would be an interesting way to set this game apart from the others and also help his character development out because you could have Dante visit places of his past at the players leisure.

EllDawn

I think it be better off as adapted into a comic since its cheaper than making a game so its more likely for Capcom to do it. Dark Horse comics did something similar with the original screenplay of Star Wars.
I wouldn't really expect them to do either one. If they do, I'll be happy. If they don't, I'll understand why. And, actually, if they were going to put it into any type of book I'd rather it be a novel. I'm sure they have some good writers that wouldn't mind doing that.

Nelo The Great

You guys remember the 2010 TGS trailer for the reboot, right? Showcasing a skinnier Dante which also smoked, fighting a bunch of Stygians in a post-apocalyptic setting. This, basically:

So, since I haven't really done much research about it, I was wondering what was the game originally going to be about? From what I can collect from the trailer, the idea of the modern world and Limbo being set apart from each other didn't really exist in this concept. The only dimension that existed was Limbo, a world that was governed by demons. But do you guys have any info on what was it going to be about? Any links, interviews, something?!
this actually looks like it would've been a better game honestly.

Top Bottom