• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was the 2010 DmC originally going to be about?

The Final Offer

NT aside, this is quite possibly the best art I've seen.

Dante-and-Vergil-devil-may-cry-5-33254417-744-1052.jpg

So accurate.

Meg

*reading thread* *thinks to self* Oh no. More "it's all because of the fans" complaining.

Okay everyone, calm down your socks and potatoes for a moment and listen to old timer Auntie Meg for a second.

After the announcement trailer was released, NT said themselves that Capcom told them to make Dante drastically different, and that once they get a base design down, Capcom and NT will walk the design back to something less extreme. The plan from the beginning was to create something mega-different from old Dante, and then tweak the design until Capcom and NT were satisfied. There were articles about it on a ton of game sites and everything.

NT also said that they had very little work done on the game. The trailer wasn't reflection of what the game would be about, but rather a reflection of some of the ideas they had for what the game would be about.

And honestly, every single game goes through periods of change during development and just because the finish product is different from the initial trailer does not mean that the fans' wrath made NT change the game. To disregard the fact that all games face design changes through out development in favor of more DMC-fan bashing is completely ridiculous and reeks of desperation to find more reasons to hate on the people who don't like the reboot.

Honestly, the game came out a year ago to positive reviews and sales figures that Capcom is pleased with. If anything, the game was a success. Heck, even I like the game, and from the moment it was announced I gave no crap about it until I actually sat down to play it. The Internet personalities/YouTubers who were famous for their DmC hate have long since shut up about it. Because continued discussion about the initial outcry and following controversies surrounding the game has long become so tired I can't even compare it to beating a dead horse. If anything, the dead horse has completely decomposed and now you're just beating the fertilized ground where the dead horse was.

So really. Please. Please. For the sake of this forum's integrity and my own sanity, stop blaming and complaining about the fans who were enraged about DmC. Because hardly anyone cares anymore. And for the few people who are still freaking out in hatred for this game, they are sad, obsessive, and need to chill out. However, anyone who continues to point at those people as a way of justifying their own continued complaining is also obsessive and needs to chill out.

Meg

So... what was your favorite part?
When it finally ended. :tongue:

Seriously though, I'm not sure what I favorite part was. I did like a lot of the level designs. The whole concept your surroundings changing while in Limbo was really cool. I'd love to see a sequel just so NT would get a chance to create even crazier environments.

The Final Offer

And honestly, every single game goes through periods of change during development and just because the finish product is different from the initial trailer does not mean that the fans' wrath made NT change the game. To disregard the fact that all games face design changes through out development in favor of more DMC-fan bashing is completely ridiculous and reeks of desperation to find more reasons to hate on the people who don't like the reboot.
Example A
Early
3.jpg

cole-macgrath-infamous-2-11018.jpg

Mid:
gicole1.jpg

Final:
images

Side Note: It was the hair.

Sad Part:

actionguy2_8149.png

(Welcome to the club Cole)​

Last edited:

Meg

snip for space

I wasn't even talking about Infamous. I was talking about DmC. In the case of Infamous, Sucker Punch came right out and said they were changing Cole back to please the fans. NT said no such thing for DmC. What I was trying to get across is that all games go through design changes, so you can't always point at angry fans and say it was all their fault.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Vergil looks like Kiefer Sutherland when he was in The Lost Boys. I would have loved seeing that.

What I'd love to see NT do is release a special edition of DmC that includes what they had wanted to include, but couldn't. Just ignore the fans and make the game their own. Judging by what was cut, it does look like they had wanted to make the game more challenging and in-depth. Maybe more like a psychological thriller, too. I would have loved that even more.
I think it be better off as adapted into a comic since its cheaper than making a game so its more likely for Capcom to do it. Dark Horse comics did something similar with the original screenplay of Star Wars.

Well, the drastic change was what Capcom wanted to do, but even then I think it's a far leap to assume so much of Dante's character is difficult to ascertain for seeing him grow into something akin to the classic Dante. It was the first trailer, and there's so many things that can happen from the beginning of a story to its end; to not be able to see the possibilities is an utter lack of imagination, honestly.

Especially since in the classic series, Dante's childhood and reconciliation with the world of demons that started his business is a gigantic void of white noise in his backstory.

Take Crisis Core - Square gave Zack, a bit character that was still pivotal to FFVII's main plot, his own story that filled in huge gaps of nothing in his life, and the guy had his own grand adventure. If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

Well I did say i was interested in seeing how they would have reconciled the two.

What I was trying to get at was most of the outrage was because fans couldn't reconcile TGS10 Dante with the Dante they knew and love. One fan called it "trying to make Green Lantern into Batman". So its not lack of imagination, its just more they didnt care to because they were emotionally outraged.

For me, I didn't feel it was impossible, it was more of a difficult bridge to cross and they had their work cut out for them.

The Final Offer

I think it be better off as adapted into a comic since its cheaper than making a game so its more likely for Capcom to do it. Dark Horse comics did something similar with the original screenplay of Star Wars.

Well I did say i was interested in seeing how they would have reconciled the two.

What I was trying to get at was most of the outrage was because fans couldn't reconcile TGS10 Dante with the Dante they knew and love. One fan called it "trying to make Green Lantern into Batman". So its not lack of imagination, its just more they didnt care to because they were emotionally outraged.

For me, I didn't feel it was impossible, it was more of a difficult bridge to cross and they had their work cut out for them.

The only logical explanation to be emotionally outraged at that time is the inexperience with the way game creation work. If they aren't aware that an early build of the game is not the final product, then what can you say to them?

It's not like DMC 4's Dante didn't have an overhaul on his design and looks.

In short, those who were emotionally raging, didn't know any better.

So no, it's not the lack of imagination, it's the lack of intelligence.

The Final Offer

I dunno but, maybe they were upset that they lost their favorite character? Because no matter how you put it, DmCDante is not and will never really be DMCDante, he'll only ever be a re-interpreted/imgained version of him.

Dante will never really be Dante in any DMC games. Why do you think people prefer certain Dantes? He's been re-imagined several times over and none of you can say which one is the best.

All new Dante can be is himself.

Sunaka Marién

How do you fail at that? Simple. You have no direction for him.

Also..

Not claiming Man-child Dante. Nope.
I... don't really understand what you're trying to tell me here? It doesn't matter whether they had a direction for him or not, he was supposed to be the same, and that's all that counts, especially since they only really failed with the way he's in DMC4, if you ask me, because otherwise his character would actually make sense, like
DMC3: He's young, he's wild, he's unexperienced and hasn't yet found his place in life.
DMC1: He's older, more mature, he knows what he's doing, he has a goal.
DMC2: He's even older, god knows how old, he's been through a lot, maybe his friends and loved ones even died, making him the more grumpy self we see in this game.

Top Bottom