• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

what kind of movie themes do you wish to see more?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
they remaking Magnificent Seven?
giphy.gif

how many reboot and remakes we need till they finally stop :dead:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Plenty of people have identified Sapkowski's work as plagiarism, even Michael Moorcock himself.

Of course he would. And for that matter, there's also a lot of people who've recognized it's not really plagiarism, rather a case of instances of common fantasy archetypes.

If all it takes for being a case of plagiarism is sharing trivial similarities that simply fall under the same archetype, the world would be full of cases of plagiarism. As I made you notice, the two characters are not at all the same, they present their fair share of differences, some of which I didn't even mention, such as their religious beliefs and such.

Besides, Geralt is mainly a melee fighter, not a spellsword. Magic is very rarely used by him. And being a spellsword isn't an exclusive to Elric, can't say it's plagiarisim based on that, that's for sure.

Witcher Sight? There's no such thing in the novels, Geralt just has heightened senses and can see clearly in the dark, that's all. Witcher Senses is something TW3 came up with.

The dub "White Wolf", as I said, was meant to be an homage to Elric, and can't constitute a basis for a case of plagiarism.

Moorcock himself dropped the case, apparently asserting that such legal disputes are "counterproductive", but I highly suspect that the real reason is that he knew he would lose. He would have surely continued the case if it was such a blatant case of plagiarism as you make it out to be. Without even counting the fact that Moorcock himself admitted that he hadn't even read Sapkowski's novels when he initiated his lawsuit. No judge in his right mind would give him reason. There's simply no solid basis to back it up aside from a few unsubstantial similarities such as their nickname and their hair color.

This case was kind of famous back when the first Witcher game started to gain popularity, but never held solid ground, nor legally, nor amongst readers. The vast majority of them at least.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
how many reboot and remakes we need till they finally stop :dead:
Hey, at least they're remaking something that actually needs an update. The original Magnificent Seven was from 1960 with Yule Brenner, and THAT movie was a remake of a chanbara flick from the 50's called Seven Samurai.

You know what DOESN'T need a remake? Something from as late as the 80's like Total Recall, RoboCop, or maybe....Ghostbusters?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Hey, at least they're remaking something that actually needs an update. The original Magnificent Seven was from 1960 with Yule Brenner, and THAT movie was a remake of a chanbara flick from the 50's called Seven Samurai.

You know what DOESN'T need a remake? Something from as late as the 80's like Total Recall, RoboCop, or maybe....Ghostbusters?
Even if does needs remake I seriously sick of lack of any creativity from hollywood. I also sick of ANY remakes and I seriously can't care less for their excuses. Magnificent doesnt need remake. Especially since Seven Samurais was remade who knows how many times.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
But back to the topic at hand, another genre I think is visited rather infrequently is the Spaghetti Western genre. True, we have Tarantino's Django Unchained and its rather lackluster follow-up The Hateful Eight, but outside of them, the Western genre has been practically dead. The only films in the genre to come before the aforementioned Tarantino movies were bombs like Jonah Hex and Cowboys & Aliens.

Maybe the upcoming Magnificent Seven remake will rejuvenate things:
Personally, I thought Django Unchained was probably Tarintino's best film since Pulp Fiction. Leonardo Dicaprio as Calvin Candy was freaking amazing. Also, Christoph Walt's King Schultz. That's not to say he has been making bad movies since because I do enjoy pretty much every movie's he's ever done. I also liked The Hateful Eight. Wasn't as good as Django, but it was still pretty good.

And holy sh!t does that Magnificent Seven cast look killer. Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Vincent D Onofrio, Lee Byung Hun, and Ethan Hawke. Trailer looks good too.

Hey, if you're looking for westerns, have you ever tried watching AMC's Hell On Wheels? I freaking adore that show. It's really good. I recommend it. You can find it on Netflix.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I second the idea that pirates should be valued more. But in a movie that treats the subject in a more serious way, cause as of now, pirates in cinema pretty much equals Jack Sparrow.

I'd like to see a pirate movie more grounded in reality.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
lack of any creativity from hollywood.

this is exactly why i don't mind remake, least with remakes i get to know what i''ll see.. well if it's bad, then it's bad.. but with the line up of casts in magnificent seven, i can expect something good..

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Hey, if you're looking for westerns, have you ever tried watching AMC's Hell On Wheels? I freaking adore that show. It's really good. I recommend it. You can find it on Netflix.
I can also vouch for Hell on Wheels for those who haven't seen it. Just prepare because it takes itself extremely seriously, and is very grim and bleak in nature. It's more Unforgiven than Fistful of Dollars.

I'd like to see a pirate movie more grounded in reality.
You should check out Black Sails.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I can also vouch for Hell on Wheels for those who haven't seen it. Just prepare because it takes itself extremely seriously, and is very grim and bleak in nature. It's more Unforgiven than Fistful of Dollars.

WOO Another Hell On Wheels fan! I thought I was alone here with that show.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

Looked it up. Seems interesting. The thing is, though, that I prefer movies to shows. I don't dislike shows at all but the narrative structure of a film is the one I prefer, tends to make the story stick in my mind more.

Plus I mean, I know myself. When a show captures me, it's over. I end up doing marathons, dedicating every spare minute I have to watching it, LIVING just for seeing the next episode. And it's so hard to recover man... so hard.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
this is exactly why i don't mind remake, least with remakes i get to know what i''ll see.. well if it's bad, then it's bad.. but with the line up of casts in magnificent seven, i can expect something good..
Will see, but honestly amount of new movie ideas makes me sick. The only enjoyable new movie I saw last year was Hateful Eight which wasn't remake. Rest swung between boring, mediocre or pretentious.

absolitude

Will see, but honestly amount of new movie ideas makes me sick. The only enjoyable new movie I saw last year was Hateful Eight which wasn't remake. Rest swung between boring, mediocre or pretentious.

same here, the last movie that i really enjoyed as an entertainment was john wick. and it was a very simple movie.. there's gotta be something wrong in the industry when something that simple received better than the bigger more complicated ones..

here's hoping the sequel could top that..

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
^ John Wick is great :D

On a slightly more serious note than my previous post, I would actually love to see more films like 13 Assassins and Roaring Currents. I'm a bit of a fan of Japanese/Korean/Chinese films and I love all the culture and history. I even don't have a problem with dealing with subtitles (can't stand dubbed movies).

absolitude

^ John Wick is great :D

On a slightly more serious note than my previous post, I would actually love to see more films like 13 Assassins and Roaring Currents. I'm a bit of a fan of Japanese/Korean/Chinese films and I love all the culture and history. I even don't have a problem with dealing with subtitles (can't stand dubbed movies).

oh nice, i'm not following japanese movies anymore, any suggestions? like any suggestions..

do koreans still make good movies? you know with kpop thingy, i kinda assume it probably affect their cinema..

and chinese cinema isn't as good as they're used to imo, most are big budget and all but just not as good, even the colossal type of movies which was basically their department for quite a long time..

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
oh nice, i'm not following japanese movies anymore, any suggestions? like any suggestions..

do koreans still make good movies? you know with kpop thingy, i kinda assume it probably affect their cinema..

and chinese cinema isn't as good as they're used to imo, most are big budget and all but just not as good, even the colossal type of movies which was basically their department for quite a long time..
The Koreans have had some of the best thrillers I've seen in years.

For example, "I Saw The Devil" is freaking fantastic, and probably one of the best serial killer thrillers since Seven. I highly recommend it, I'm fairly sure its on Netflix. After a brutal serial killer murders a Korean special agent's pregnant wife, he seeks revenge. Not just wanting to kill him, but making him suffer as much as humanely possible.

Another serial killer thriller is The Chaser. Rather enjoyed that one as well. A former cop turned pimp uses his old detective skills to try and find a serial killer that's been targeting his women.

Also there's Oldboy, one of my favorite films of all time. There was a U.S. remake not too long ago, but it doesn't hold a candle to the masterful original. It's also on Netflix. A guy gets mysteriously imprisoned for 15 years and is suddenly released. Going on a vengeance quest, he gets involved in a bigger, and bizarre conspiracy.

This last recommendation is a crime drama, and could totally be in the same league as crime dramas by Scorsese. It's called New World, and that one is about an undercover cop in a crime syndicate trying to use his high status he's gained over the years to manipulate the election of a new leader after the previous one is killed for the police. But loyalties are questioned in this dangerous task, as he decides to whether or not do his duty for his rather uncaring and ruthless superiors, or the gangsters that consider him family. Freaking awesome flick.

I could go on, but there's 4 Korean films I at least recommend.

absolitude

The Koreans have had some of the best thrillers I've seen in years.

For example, "I Saw The Devil" is freaking fantastic, and probably one of the best serial killer thrillers since Seven. I highly recommend it, I'm fairly sure its on Netflix. After a brutal serial killer murders a Korean special agent's pregnant wife, he seeks revenge. Not just wanting to kill him, but making him suffer as much as humanely possible.

Another serial killer thriller is The Chaser. Rather enjoyed that one as well. A former cop turned pimp uses his old detective skills to try and find a serial killer that's been targeting his women.

Also there's Oldboy, one of my favorite films of all time. There was a U.S. remake not too long ago, but it doesn't hold a candle to the masterful original. It's also on Netflix. A guy gets mysteriously imprisoned for 15 years and is suddenly released. Going on a vengeance quest, he gets involved in a bigger, and bizarre conspiracy.

This last recommendation is a crime drama, and could totally be in the same league as crime dramas by Scorsese. It's called New World, and that one is about an undercover cop in a crime syndicate trying to use his high status he's gained over the years to manipulate the election of a new leader after the previous one is killed for the police. But loyalties are questioned in this dangerous task, as he decides to whether or not do his duty for his rather uncaring and ruthless superiors, or the gangsters that consider him family. Freaking awesome flick.

I could go on, but there's 4 Korean films I at least recommend.

true that, they're good with the genre.. the man from nowhere was what really got me.. i'll keep in mind those titles when i hunt for dvds..

judging from the title, new world sounds great..

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
true that, they're good with the genre.. the man from nowhere was what really got me.. i'll keep in mind those titles when i hunt for dvds..

judging from the title, new world sounds great..
The Man From Nowhere was awesome. It was like Taken, but 10 times better and what that movie should have been.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Themes I'd like to see more of are: some action crime thriller like Leon: The Professional. More Noir film: Kinda like John Wick. Cyber/Stream/diesel - punk. Also a epic fantasy with vikings. That is always cool. ;3

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
After seeing The Crow for the first time last night, I can say I want more gothic style themed action movies.

Also would like to see more Space thrillers like Event Horizon and such.

Also I wanna see more Cold War style espionage spy movies, the James Bond movies are good, but I wanna see more different takes. The Mission Impossible franchise is awesome, but I want more spy movies!

My favorite theme is already being made in spades thanks to people like Justin Lin and James Wan with all the insane stunts, oneliners and bikini clad ladies and now Vin Diesel is coming back to xXx riding a f**king MX bike underwater through waves!!!
What more can they think of? Maybe a Monster Truck on the moon? Please let that happen!!!

Also I really really wanna see more Heavy Metal themed movies, Mad Max Fury Road was just utter perfection and I wanna see the Heavy Metal style done more in this day & age.

Top Bottom