• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Tameem/NT is not the only company to go through fan fury, but since I can't back up that I have a good understanding of the processes involved behind the scenes (you know, the things the fans DON'T see) with solid proof from reliable sources (who are incredibly stingy toward me as of late. Like I'M the one flaming Tameem? WTF, people?!?!) I decided to ask a few game developers what they would do were they in a similar position as Tameem, and so many others. I'll be posting the replies as they roll in, but I figured it might do well here to let the fans know hoping and ranting that NT should completely overhaul what they've got is going to have no effect on the end result of the game.

Here's my quote:

I'll give you a scenario to better explain my question:

You're working with a small developing team, but because you're relatively new to the business not a lot of gamers know who you are. Along comes an established gaming company and shrugs one of their big brand titles onto your little shoulders and say 'show us what you've got'. Now, you know you've got it made, you're good at what you do, you have that confidence. You work for a long time on all the hundreds of nitty gritty details that encompass a good game, with extra baggage considering it's an already existing franchise, and finally your team decides on where you're taking this game. You get the green light from the established game company, and release a trailer of barely over a minute.

The response from the fans is total outrage. They believe that their voice should be heard in contesting this new idea you've presented them with. Because you are the lead developer of your team, you're singled out and become the most hated person in the world. Regardless that it was all a team effort and that your co-workers are also taking a hard blow by the negative response, since they worked late into the night alongside with you to get a simple trailer done, it is YOU that carries the burden of the fan backlash. You're the one who has to deal with the negative reaction. The problem is, you haven't done anything wrong. You're staying true to the franchise, but taking it to a whole new level as the big company that contracted your small company requested you to do. So, from a developer point of view, you're all pleased with the product you've come up with, even if it is only a stepping stone to send your team into the right direction, but as creative people you are denied any positive credit by the fans.

Of course, because it becomes well known just how hated you are for what you've produced, the question 'what do you think of the fan's reaction?' keeps popping up in interviews.

So what would YOU do? A game is nothing without its fans, and 90% of fans are unhappy with what you want to give them. They want you to change this or that or else it will ruin the franchise and they'll refuse to buy the game and throw rotten eggs at you if they were to ever walk past you in the street, etc etc. So what would you do about it? Would you stick to your guns and meet their verbal backlash with indifference? Or would you crack under fan-pressure and change your idea to suit their satisfaction, until it no longer resembles YOUR idea?

Here's one of the first responses:
I wouldn't be working on Dota or a Sonic game in the first place... Obvious suicide is obvious.

However, this is a valid question, just without all the hyperbole: Basically, what do you do when your game has a following and your followers don't like your new version?

We might have something like this happen with DD. Yeah, it's got nothing like the fanbase that something like Dota has, but then again, what does? The full version of DD has some changes that will definitely catch people by surprise. Some people will hate that, others will love it. Basically you have to stick to your guns in the end: If you're sure something is better, then give it a chance to be better. If you're not sure, why the hell are you releasing it without hordes of testing in the first place?

P.S. Super-hardcore fans may think that they're the majority, but in truth they're just loud. For every 1 loudly disappointed hardcore anti-change screamer, there are usually a lot of people that are perfectly happy with whatever colour the Nurgler's bullets are now.

fon

Crazy Chick
"At least Star Wars Dan was...wait, what. STAR WARS??!!"

Just thought about Dan Southworth and got Power Rangers confused with Star Wars! Wtf, how does THAT happen.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
See, that's the point I was trying to get across in the DmC section. The people who blatantly voice their outrage are not the majority, they're just loud. So, to those who think that they're in the majority for doing so, SORRY, you're out of luck.

CT: "My eyes are so unfocused, I just read the word "final" as "anal"! I need help!"

XD BrainScratchComms, you make my day.

Ronan

oakheart
Premium
The painting is a win....but I misspelled courage?! What the hell??

._.

Dyslexia strikes again >.>

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Bleh, sore throat.

I should be getting to bed soon, but... i just can't be arsed.
Do you ever get that feeling you're forgetting something?
An odd feeling has just crept over meand made me feel really uncomfortable...

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
I'm crushing on the president of the GSA. ._. I hardly even talked to her, but she's so cute and nice and eeeeeeeEEEEeeE~ <3

Daring Dylan

This is all we got now.
Wait, M, I can't call you a 'fag' or 'faggot' but you can call me a 'dyke'? Wow, double standards much? I love you, but you're really ****ing me off with this right now.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I need the toilet..... and I'm on a train with no toilets! Not that I'd use a train toilet anyway! I've said 'toilet' a lot in this thread and I never use that word. 'toilet' it just sounds weird!?

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Have to clean the house that still manages to become like a terror zone no matter how much you look after it...Grr:mad:

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
Heh, not such a wise cracking arse now, are you?
Go and crawl back under a rock you petty, small minded little human.

Need more cola... got more cola.

Its sad, my dad has got more of a social life than me... and the bastard has just bitten my friggin head off.

Need to start making changes to DSC... BUT I'm not sure i can be bothered.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I'm thinking I'm not getting involved in the 'Lets Discuss' thread. I don't like talking 'politics.'

I like to bury my head in the sand and ignore all the crap in the world - stupid I know, but it's how I deal with it. ^_^

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
My friends are stupid, childish and are absolutely ignorant...It's a wonder why I still call them my friends. It's probably because they are the only ones I DO have in RL...What a sad sad realization...

Edit:
The crazy demon;282918 said:
*Is ignorant*

Everyone is ignorant in their own way but my friends are on a whole different level...My best friend wanted to be emo and cut herself a couple times...I mangaged to stop her from doing anything else(she now excersises excessively and doesn't eat much at all), one wanted to take the place of an aquantice that died in an accident (I am no longer friends with him, he...changed in a lack for a better word.) And my other 2 friends and my best friend played a "joke" on me by sending me a text that one of them got hit by a truck and weren't moving...I wasn't pleased at all with their childish sh*t.

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
first i spend ages waiting for this chao to appear in the market then i spend LOADS on it, then about 5 hours getting his stats up, another 3 hours making him love me and feeding him, then he LOSSES every race and draws Sonic instead of ME!?!(Knuckles) i hate this little S.O.B!

i love my other chao :)

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
CHAOS!! Cute things. Epecially the evil ones and yes i have on called Vergil :lol:

That moustache really does not suit him.

Top Bottom