• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Burn the Witch is a manga that takes place in London so I was waiting for the English dub, but, much to my disappointment, but not surprise, it didn't even occur to them to make them sound cockney. Why would you give your cast of Brits American accents, ya' wankers? Is it too much to ask for the English to speak like they're from England. I would've loved to have seen this show with British accents. I love British cinema and TV so I was hoping for a bit of that on the one anime where it would've been appropriate. Wouldn't be the first anime with British accents but it would've been the first I've seen with a full British cast, even if the actors playing them weren't.
Y'know, having seen the American dub for the anime "Black Butler"... perhaps it was a small mercy that they didn't try to fake British accents. o_O

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
That means it's a true statement that you're more likely to find a Cockney or British accent in a Final Fantasy game than in an anime that actually takes place in London, and that's hilarious.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I dunno about forever stamps, but they are hella expensive to get some. A book of 12 stamps costs £10.20 now. Madness...

£10.20 for just 12 stamps? That's a ripoff. A booklet of 20 forever stamps costs just $11USD here if you buy it from an Office Depot, and they never depreciate in value. The cost of individual stamps may increase over time but a forever stamp bought even five or ten years ago still works to send the same letter as it would've worked the first time it was bought, as long as it's within a certain weight.
I'm happy to tell you that here in Finland, one (1) stamp for a regular letter costs 1,75 EUR. That's approx 2 USD, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, sending stuff outside the Union is just mad when it comes to costs. Last time when I sent something to the US, it was a birthday card and two small bars of chocolate (50 grams each). It was delivered as a letter, not as a package, and it cost 9 EUR. Around 10 USD.

I just thought you can get a lot of chocolate bars in the US with that 10 bucks.

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I love how my dumb question has spawned a whole discussion about post. We are all truly getting old... :LOL:

I've never posted anything to another country, aside from a few letters via AirMail. Like you, @therogis , I find the costs prohibitive. And then there can be customs issues, taxes and all kinds of nonsense. Email every time, where possible, for me...

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Hey, I'm not old! I say, as I reminisce about Back In The Day. :ROFL:

I used to send plenty of things to overseas recipients. Letters, books, etc. It's kind of nice. Handwriting letters is a fading art.
See, now that I've thought about it, I need to find a reason to Do The Thing.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I used to send plenty of things to overseas recipients. Letters, books, etc. It's kind of nice. Handwriting letters is a fading art.
See, now that I've thought about it, I need to find a reason to Do The Thing.
*whispers* I find hand-written letters awesome and wouldn't mind sending and receiving one

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Currently thinking: I should've blanched those onions first.

Context:
Problem: More onions in the house than I know what to do with. They're even sprouting onion juniors.
Solution: Chop them up, turn them into a puree, and pour the puree into the nearest glass jar and possibly any repurposed candle jars in the kitchen.
Result: Instant seasoning for later without having to deal with, well, chopping or peeling any onions, having to stick half-used onions in the fridge, etc.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Currently thinking: I should've blanched those onions first.

Context:
*searches "to blanch" from the dictionary* ... oh. You should have done that.

By the way, onion jam is surprisingly good. I tend to season it with cinnamon, star anise, and a bit of apple juice. Goes well with different kinds of game and stew-like food, and if you have spare onions, it's an easy way to use them before they rot.

That said... I can't wait for summer, I have so many preservation recipes to try. Dandelion jam, birch leaf tea, spruce sprout pesto, strawberry jam, pesto from stinging nettles... :love:

But now it's fresh asparagus season, so I think I have nothing to complain. ;)

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Just accepted a job offer. Haven't been in paid employment for 20 years, so this is in equal amounts both terrifying and exciting.

But in this current economic climate, to turn down paying work in a place I already volunteer at, with people who are my friends and with a role that I already know mostly how to do...that would be crazy. Opportunites don't turn up like this very often - I'd be insane to reject it.

EDIT: just had a call with my new boss and he said he was so happy I accepted as they didn't want to offer the role to anyone else. Apparently he had to keep his cool during the offer process so I didn't feel pressured to say yes.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Seven more chapters to go... Might still have to do some small tweaks afterwards, but at least I'll be able to officially commission the cover after this.

I can't believe it's been nearly 8 years since I started this series. o_O Ending Gwen's arc is going to be sad, but not gonna lie--there's a sense of relief there, too.

+Sometimes I think I stick it out with that group out of spite. >.>

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
*searches "to blanch" from the dictionary* ... oh. You should have done that.
The kicker is that I was already doing that with extra peaches and plums I had last year, when I wanted to make syrup out of them. Should've known that would work on other things. :cry:

Oh well, those onions can't get unpureed, so at least I know enough for next time. I put dates on the jars so I can time when they go bad, if that happens.

By the way, onion jam is surprisingly good. I tend to season it with cinnamon, star anise, and a bit of apple juice. Goes well with different kinds of game and stew-like food, and if you have spare onions, it's an easy way to use them before they rot.
Onion jam, you say? I'm going to have to take notes. And look up recipes!

.... Bacon onion jam exists! (And there's a keto-friendly variety!) Yessssssssssss~

That said... I can't wait for summer, I have so many preservation recipes to try. Dandelion jam, birch leaf tea, spruce sprout pesto, strawberry jam, pesto from stinging nettles... :love:

But now it's fresh asparagus season, so I think I have nothing to complain. ;)
(y) Excellent! Good luck on those recipes.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Having a job interview tomorrow (for a job that would begin straight after my trainee period).

Damn, I'm nervous. Trying to figure out what should I say when they ask about my preferred salary per month... I've got some special skills that must be very rare among the applicants, and I'm not selling them for cheap, but I would still like to request something that makes sense.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Now's the time to surreptitiously contact anyone in the same position and figure out their salary range versus level of experience/skills, or otherwise find the salary information from some other reliable source. Knowing it beforehand makes negotiating your compensation much easier.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Now's the time to surreptitiously contact anyone in the same position and figure out their salary range versus level of experience/skills, or otherwise find the salary information from some other reliable source. Knowing it beforehand makes negotiating your compensation much easier.
The problem is that I'm still an undergraduate, so I cannot request a professional salary. And the salaries that are paid for students have a really wide range... depends mostly on the company rather than the position or experience. I don't know anyone undergraduate working there, I have no idea about the salary they've been thinking about.

There are some recommendations for salaries paid for law students in different stages of their studies, but I guess no one pays according to them.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
*concern for potential exploitation and burgeoning anti-capitalist sentiment intensifies*

Rc85ec5bc1cccd2ed94fc5f09354bce3e

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
The problem is that I'm still an undergraduate, so I cannot request a professional salary. And the salaries that are paid for students have a really wide range... depends mostly on the company rather than the position or experience. I don't know anyone undergraduate working there, I have no idea about the salary they've been thinking about.

There are some recommendations for salaries paid for law students in different stages of their studies, but I guess no one pays according to them.
Don't worry about salary right now. A crash is around the corner anyway. Focus on impressing the person who hired you, then his/her right and left hand man/woman. Once that's done, worry about how you're going to secure a raise or promotion.

Right now isn't the time to worry about a raise or promotion. A crash is coming so you need to survive that first, and avoid the pitfalls of a crash where workers are fired. You're at the bottom. You are at as much risk as the people who stayed in that job for years.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I can do a spot on liam neeson impression actually, and Schwarzenegger and sean connery too

I'm a big child lol

As for what I'm thinking, hmm I'm thinking why are people in hospitals treated like a bag of money on a conveyor belt, what ever happened to saving lives and making people better cause that's the right thing

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I can do a spot on liam neeson impression actually, and Schwarzenegger and sean connery too

I'm a big child lol

As for what I'm thinking, hmm I'm thinking why are people in hospitals treated like a bag of money on a conveyor belt, what ever happened to saving lives and making people better cause that's the right thing

Right? Like I get doctors and nurses need money in order to live too, but it's sad how they sometimes become so desensitized they stop seeing their patients as people.

CT: Four and a half chapters left to edit. Fingers crossed I can wrap this up by Sunday.

+Kaz being trimmed definitely makes things a bit easier. Dirt doesn't cling to him as badly for one thing (and there is a lot of dirt, thanks to all the sand they use on the sidewalks during winter). Don't have to brush him as much for another. :giggle:

Top Bottom