• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
@ef9dante_oSsshea Agreeing with Angel above -- I'm open for chat as well if you or anyone here needs it. I'm not a professional in stuff like this but if just a chat eases your mind, feel free to send me a message. :)

Also, @Angel: I LOVE ginger, but I haven't eaten it much because it's not recommended for pregnant women by our national health authorities 0_o I guess I'll have to ask why! How did you use it, as ginger tea or...?

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Thank you all for the kind words and offer of ears and inboxes

My mother is in hospital and they believe she has a calcified brain aneurysm and it's the cause of her having a sever headache since last Wednesday

She hasn't eaten since then and barely slept so her doctor sent her to the emergency room and the ct showed the calcification.They need more tests to verify, until then we have to wait.

So we are in limbo , and none of us are allowed in to be with her over covid so she has to face everything alone

Surgery is a worry as she has copd, atrial fibrillation and high bp

So she doesn't do good with any form of anaesthesia[\spoiler]

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
@e9fdante_oSsshea I second Rebel - sending virtual, socially distanced hugs to you and your family.

@therogis - that's genuinely interesting. Any reasons why they are against it? I used to nibble on ginger biscuits to keep the nausea at bay. My routine with my first pregnancy was before I even moved out of bed, I had a cup of hot sweet tea with some ginger biscuits. Didn't always work (depending on how sick I was), but most of the time it did the job. Haven't been pregnant for 10 years, but as far as I know, ginger is still recommended over here.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
@therogis - that's genuinely interesting. Any reasons why they are against it? I used to nibble on ginger biscuits to keep the nausea at bay. My routine with my first pregnancy was before I even moved out of bed, I had a cup of hot sweet tea with some ginger biscuits. Didn't always work (depending on how sick I was), but most of the time it did the job. Haven't been pregnant for 10 years, but as far as I know, ginger is still recommended over here.
Freely translated from a Finnish website:
"There is a little information about ginger consumption during pregnancy, and the results are somewhat contradictory. However, some chemical substances in ginger have been discovered to cause apoptosis (cell death, if I'm not mistaken). Thus, consuming ginger products or drinking a lot of ginger tea, or drinking it long-term, should be avoided during pregnancy. Evira ("Elintarviketurvallisuusvirasto", our former national authority for food safety) requires companies to add a warning tag to the packages of ginger consumables, ginger tea, and corresponding drink powders. Companies should warn expecting women with an additional marking on the package: "Not recommended during pregnancy"."

---

I am so sorry about that, ef9. Take care of yourself. I wish all the best for the situation. :(

Dark Drakan

Admin
Thank you all for the kind words and offer of ears and inboxes

My mother is in hospital and they believe she has a calcified brain aneurysm and it's the cause of her having a sever headache since last Wednesday

She hasn't eaten since then and barely slept so her doctor sent her to the emergency room and the ct showed the calcification.They need more tests to verify, until then we have to wait.

So we are in limbo , and none of us are allowed in to be with her over covid so she has to face everything alone

Surgery is a worry as she has copd, atrial fibrillation and high bp

So she doesn't do good with any form of anaesthesia[\spoiler]

Sorry to hear that and all the best to yourself and the family.

My youngest is 3 and they were still telling Amy to eat Ginger Biscuits etc if she was feeling nauseous, only problem was that she doesnt really like Ginger.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Freely translated from a Finnish website:
"There is a little information about ginger consumption during pregnancy, and the results are somewhat contradictory. However, some chemical substances in ginger have been discovered to cause apoptosis (cell death, if I'm not mistaken). Thus, consuming ginger products or drinking a lot of ginger tea, or drinking it long-term, should be avoided during pregnancy. Evira ("Elintarviketurvallisuusvirasto", our former national authority for food safety) requires companies to add a warning tag to the packages of ginger consumables, ginger tea, and corresponding drink powders. Companies should warn expecting women with an additional marking on the package: "Not recommended during pregnancy"."

---
Well if the health advice for Finland is the above, then only take mine as anecdotal. I'm not a doctor and I wouldn't want to advise anyone to go against a medical professional. To be fair, advice changes and when I was pregnant with Jessica, I could eat peanut butter. Fast forward 8 years and it was banned. I formula fed all my kids and the advice there changed constantly...I ignored it all, of course, but that's coz I'm belligerent.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Well if the health advice for Finland is the above, then only take mine as anecdotal. I'm not a doctor and I wouldn't want to advise anyone to go against a medical professional. To be fair, advice changes and when I was pregnant with Jessica, I could eat peanut butter. Fast forward 8 years and it was banned. I formula fed all my kids and the advice there changed constantly...I ignored it all, of course, but that's coz I'm belligerent.
The health authority approach in Finland is pretty much "better safe than sorry": If it's not devoid of any risk, don't eat it. I have a damn long list of stuff I should not eat or I should at least avoid while I'm expecting, including liquorice, salty liquorice, herrings over 7 cm in length, anything that has liver in it, organs of a moose over 1 year in age, Prosciutto di parma, pike, coffee, herbal tea, artificial sweeteners other than aspartame, seeds of oil plants such as sesame seed... ginger...

The health authorities in here are very careful in comparison to some other countries. I was amazed when I was in Germany last autumn and I could've actually bought alcoholic beverages over 5,5 % of alcohol straight in a grocery store. In Finland you can't do that, you have to go to the state's official beverage store to buy your wine. No other store than the official state-owned company can sell them in here. Also, in Germany you apparently can buy an alcoholic drink from a bar and take it out with you... that's illegal in Finland.

Also, it was weird to actually see cigarette packages in a German kiosk. In Finland you can only see numbers in a box, and you have to ask the cashier which number is the brand you like to smoke. They tell you "64" and then you press "64" and get to see your cigs. This is because (according to the authorities) seeing those cigarette boxes could encourage people to start smoking.

On the other hand, in Germany, regular over-the-counter painkillers weren't available on the pharmacy shelves. I had to go to the cashier and ask for "Medizin gegen Kopfschmerzen, bitte", so she took them from a locker behind the desk... In Finland, you just walk in, choose your painkillers, preferably pay for them and get going. :D

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Here you can buy any strength alcohol in any licensed shop or supermarket. If you want medications, only stronger ones are behind the counter and as for cigarettes I think they are in a closed cupboard nowadays (never smoked so got no idea) for similar reasons to Finland's.

Current thoughts: you can tell when an American is writing a travel blog because they think everywhere in the UK is an hour away from London. No offence to any Americans here, before someone gets all uppity.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Current thoughts: you can tell when an American is writing a travel blog because they think everywhere in the UK is an hour away from London. No offence to any Americans here, before someone gets all uppity.
My version: you can tell you're abroad when everyone's expecting you're from Helsinki.

German lady: "What?! Your population in total is less than 6 million?!"
me: "Yes"
German: "And in your city about 180 000... and you consider it one of the Finland's largest?"
me: "Yes"
German: "So... I guess you don't have apartment houses in there?"
me: "...???"
German: "I mean, your country is so big but you have so little people. So I guess everyone is living in a their own house, not on top of each other like here, right?"
me: "... erm, we do have apartment houses"
German: "Okay, so... they must be pretty far away from each other, right?"
me: "No. Not exceptionally far away..."
German: "... how?"
me: "We just have a lot of forests, no one lives in there"

CT, I want grapes with my writing.

berto

I Saw the Devil
My computer died and the work I was doing for the Spanish version of my DMC video has come to a halt. My old man had a gaming computer he dropped once and had repaired and I moved back in November and, in my paranoia, I backed up all the data on my computer, but I lost over 2 months of work.

Frustrating as this is, it could've been far more tragic.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
"Accept people as they are. That means you love them."

I call bull shot on that. Bull shot indeed. How about "get your stuff together and stop being so...you!" This is not the life I wanted with someone folks. It's not.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
"Accept people as they are. That means you love them."
What?! What's the logic behind it?
I mean... I've just learned to accept people as they are, but in terms of some pricks I also decided to cut ties with them. I'd say, "Accept them and tell them to get the hell out of your life". That way everyone's happy. Accepting someone does definitely NOT equal to love. And you don't HAVE TO love anyone o_O

--

Somewhat related to the above, it was a good therapy session today. I've identified a trauma bond inside my head with a relative and another abuser as well, the latter of which being so mild though that it hasn't affected my behavior for a long time. Now it seems there's more than just a trauma bond or any psychochemical response to it. Not with the abuser, she's been off my head for quite a long time and the trauma related to her was quite easy to win, but with the relative.

Feels good to understand.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
The weekend is approaching too quickly. As is the next school holiday.

Kinda hoping that the idea of a shorter summer holiday and longer school days is going to be a reality...

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I'm thinking there is someone looking out for us, probably my dad

My mother is going to be okay thank god, turns out it was excessive spinal fluid causing cranial pressure

Not an aneurysm, they still don't know what caused the calcification but they will investigate.All going well she will be home in a few days

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin

My mother is going to be okay thank god, turns out it was excessive spinal fluid causing cranial pressure

Not an aneurysm, they still don't know what caused the calcification but they will investigate.All going well she will be home in a few days
Hey that's awesome news! Really glad to hear she's going to be ok

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

That's wonderful news! I'm so glad she's doing better. <3

CT: Halfway through TMT's edits. Gods, let this be the last round...

+Had dinner with one of my husband's friends and his girlfriend last night, which was a nice change of pace. It was a first meeting with the girlfriend, so naturally I was nervous as all hell (I could write an essay on why I get this way while meeting other women, but that'd be boring) but she was super nice. I get the feeling she felt as awkward and self-conscious as I did. ^^;

Top Bottom