• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Diving back into the fantasy genre this time with "Fate/Prototype". The basic rundown is that seven Mages from around the world have gathered in Tokyo to take part in what's called the "Holy Grail War". Only one Mage can get their hands on the wish granting cup, so each of them summon a Legendary Hero from times past to fight for them. It's a battle royale in the middle of the city, no holds barred and anything goes. :thumbsup:

139339.jpg

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Diving back into the fantasy genre this time with "Fate/Prototype". The basic rundown is that seven Mages from around the world have gathered in Tokyo to take part in what's called the "Holy Grail War". Only one Mage can get their hands on the wish granting cup, so each of them summon a Legendary Hero from times past to fight for them. It's a battle royale in the middle of the city, no holds barred and anything goes. :thumbsup:

139339.jpg

Does it come before or after Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night? Or is it AU to those particular storylines? (I didn't even know the Fate franchise had books). :eek:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Does it come before or after Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night? Or is it AU to those particular storylines? (I didn't even know the Fate franchise had books). :eek:
It's a bit complicated, but it's basically the original draft of Fate/Stay Night back when it was planned to be a book series, hence why it's called "Prototype". The change to Visual Novel meant many plot points were altered or left out entirely. The biggest was that the genders and subsequently the personalities of the two main characters were swapped around. Saber actually was a man in the original draft, as can be see below...

JEMIVkU.jpg
But yeah, it's a pretty entertaining story so far. It's a shame that the books are unlikely to be localised, but hopefully if it ever gets an anime then that might come Westwards.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

Edit, now that the book is finished: My gods, that was an incredible read. No, seriously--this series is really, really good. With everything that happens in this book (turning everything in the previous two books on its head) it makes me want to read Akarnae again; to see the story with new eyes, now that something incredibly pivotal has been revealed. Of course, then I'd have to read Raelia again, too, and circle right back to this one...

...I think I'll put a few more books between myself and this series until my feels aren't quite as raw as they currently are. :'(

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Finally got around to reading "My Hero Academia" Volume 5. The tournament arc has finally finished and we got a lot of character development all around, but mostly on the monochrome haired Todoroki on the cover. This series has definitely been great so far, can't wait to get started on Volume 6! :thumbsup:

51QGDuqbn8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

His hair kinda reminds me of DmC Dante, don't ya think?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

Volume 1 of NeverenD (first three chapters).

Volume 2 of NeverenD (Chapter Four)

Fullmetal Alchemist (Volumes 1-3)

^ I already (re)read the NeverenD volumes, so now it's onto FMA. And since it won't take me that long to finish, I may as well post the books that will be preoccupying me for at least the next week or so:

Viper

Premium
It's...certainly an interesting read.
Indeed. XD
It can be somewhat convoluted and has eww moments, but the plus is that it already offers more than Over Heaven, which is a shame actually, as the latter expands on the canon events, not continues them.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

^ Started reading yesterday and finished earlier today. I officially have to get the other volumes. Really, really loved the way lore and popular fiction (including various head-nods to DC characters) was interwoven.

Now I'm on:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Starting this:

Afterwards, I'll go onto this:

I suspect by the time I finish both of these (the first about 460 pages, the second somewhere over 500), someone else will have contributed to this thread. :laugh:

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
The English localisation of this book series is called "The Saga of Tanya the Evil", but I prefer it's original name "The Military Chronicles of a Young Girl". Written by Carlos Zen, the basic surmise it that a young girl, Tanya Degurechaff is living in a fantasy version of WWII with magic and stuff. She's told by a supernatural being (that may or may not be God) that she's the reincarnation of an evil person from our world and she's presented with a choice: Become a devout believer or live long enough to die a natural death. If she fails both, then she will be sent to Hell for all her past self's sins. Needless to say, Tanya is not pleased and without much choice, joins the military and tries to climb the ranks to avoid dying in the war.

Y%C5%8Djo_Senki_light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

I also love the art used in this series. :thumbsup:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium

Really enjoying this so far. Anyone who's heard of this book has also likely heard that it's somewhat like a Mulan re-telling, only taking place in feudal Japan rather than China. So far, it's very, very loosely like a Mulan re-telling, in that the main character is pretending to be a boy. Beyond that, this story is completely its own.

Top Bottom