• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
... I really don't like that cover (yes, I know the old adage, that's beside the point).

Even if it is a really good book (which I'm sure it is), that cover's the first thing that I'm ripping off if I buy it.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Going to be reading some book samples on my tablet (via the kindle app) to see if any of them catch my fancy enough to buy them.

In no particular order, these are the samples I'll be reading:

-The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas
-Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saez
-Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley
-Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
-Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
-Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard by Rick Riordan
-Hard Magic by Larry Correia
-Wildefire by Karsten Knight
-Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
-The Passage by Justin Cronin
-Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta
-And I Darken by Kiersten White
-A Curious Tale of the In-Between by Lauren DeStefano
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
-Akarnae by Lynette Noni
-Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
-Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
-The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng
-Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Going to be reading some book samples on my tablet (via the kindle app) to see if any of them catch my fancy enough to buy them.

Did you get a chance to read the Dead Witch Walking sample?

--

For once, I'm not reading anything. =( Got a list of some stories I'd like to read, though, and I'm thinking about rereading some really old books if I have them still.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Did you get a chance to read the Dead Witch Walking sample?

Good call! Somehow I missed it on my carousel (probably because this is the fullest it's ever been, lol). Other post amended. ^^

Edit: Now that I've read all the samples I mentioned before, I've started on Finvarra's Circus by Monica Sanz.

It's a self-published novel, one in which I started reading the first draft on Wattpad some weeks ago. I'm only seven chapters into the finished, paperback version, and so far, aside from a few tweaks to dialogue and trimming in certain parts, the plot remains much the same (which is something of a relief). Since I never got further than chapter nine online, any other differences will remain unknown to me until after the writer (possibly) re-uploads the rest of her first draft chapters.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
the-colour-of-magic-2.jpg

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Battle Royale by Koushun Takami.

So far, I'm having very mixed feelings about this. Once I finish it--or barring that, I've gotten as far as I can go before I can't take anymore--I'll add my review to this post. (Honestly, even though I've heard good things about it from a couple of people, I still tempered my expectations; experience has taught me well over the years. And even then--even then!--I'm still quite disappointed with it so far. I'll still try to finish it, though; I don't typically drop books, even the worst ones, so this one still has some hope. Or so I figure).

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Couldn't sleep so I finished reading Ensnared by AG Howard. It's the last book in the Splintered series (other than a short story, I believe) and holy heck. That hit me right in the feels. If you're a fan of fairytales and romances, you should definitely go give it a read. It's a prime example of a love triangle actually done right...and of people trying to fix mistakes by making more mistakes.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Okay, so now that I've finished Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, I figured I'd quote my Goodreads review of it here, instead of in my previous post:

Okay, for a book this size, it took me longer than usual to finish it, and the reasons behind that (aside from real life obligations) I have taken the care and time to explain below. However, before I get started on it, please know that not everything I have to say about this novel is negative; it has its positive aspects too, which I'll touch on after the fact.

So, let's begin in list format:

-Repetition.
-Superfluous exposition.
-Info-dumping at points.
-Telling instead of showing.

The four aspects listed above didn't occur once or twice, but repeatedly throughout the novel, from beginning to end. There were times when a character would think, say, and then another character would reiterate the same piece of information--all on the same page. Sometimes even within the same paragraph. Not only did much of this contribute to the book's size, it became incredibly irritating, considering even if a reader didn't catch on to subtle hints, the information was given bluntly anywhere from 3-5 times in very short order. With regards to superfluous exposition, there were times when it went into great detail about characters' backgrounds, thoughts, etc. when it otherwise was unnecessary. This also more or less covers info-dumping; several times, info was given that had little impact on the characters' actions or motivations, but that isn't to say every instance of info being given was for naught--just that it occurred more than what was necessary. Telling instead of showing is pretty self explanatory: at times, we are told (sometimes by the characters) things we otherwise could have learned from their actions, tone of voice, etc.

Other aspects that came off jarring: awkward dialogue/inner monologue at points, some of which felt incredibly forced and unrealistic. I get that people sometimes think about the most inane things while in the middle of serious situations, but I felt these aspects either could have been 1) toned down, or 2) worded differently so that they didn't come off as awkwardly.

I also found the over-usage of "crushes" being mentioned a bit tedious. If it had only been a few characters (or couples), I could have dealt with it. But it seemed every time I turned around, crushes were being used as the motivation behind the majority of characters' actions; motivations for what they were doing in the "game", and motivation for their dialogue. Overall, it got to be a bit much after a while.

The frequency of the student numbers and gender being displayed in brackets became a turn-off very quickly. While I understand certain occasions did call for the reader to know a specific character's designated number, it really didn't need to be displayed as often as it was throughout the novel.

Characterization: This was a bit hit and miss for me. While some characters were well developed and grew with the plot, others felt like cliché archetypes in anime. Considering this novel is written by an actual Japanese person, this was even more disappointing, since this kind of thing is what one would expect from a hard-core weeaboo, not someone actually born of the culture. Following on the tails of characterization, it also became redundant when so many male characters kept underestimating their female counterparts; whether because they, in their naivete, believed the best of them, or because they assumed girls couldn't be as violent as boys (no matter how hard-boiled the reputations of some) it turned me off a bit more. When it was Shuya, I accepted it as being part of his character. But when others echoed his inner monologue? Suffice it to say, I found it a bit unimaginative, having so many characters thinking along the same lines.

Now, complaints aside, I felt the overall plot was well-handled. Environmental details (while overwhelming at times in their clinical explanations) were otherwise well done. Details about the Program (in which the students find themselves thrust into this sick and twisted game) was likewise well laid-out. As the story progressed, I found it easier to relate and sympathize with some characters, and the suspense during intense gunfights--especially featuring characters I had built up something of a liking for--had me holding my breath at times. The syntax was hit and miss, but when it was hit, the storyline flowed really well, and at those times, it was easy not only to imagine the characters' surroundings and situations, but to immerse myself in it. In other words, I became emotionally-invested...but only *when* the writing was spot-on.

All in all, while not the best read, it was far from being the worst. If I could give a split rating, I would give it a 2.5, but 3 likewise seems fair.

Would I recommend this book? Sure. But I'd also caution the reader to temper their expectations.

Now that it's done, I'm moving onto...

MissPeregrineCover.jpg

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Nevermore by Kelly Creagh. Just finished it, actually. I've been trying to read it for years and Stilts trapped me in my seat long enough to reread the beginning of it. It's based on Poe's writings and...honestly, not very good. Only ever really connected with Varen and the ending was...basically, the novel was presented like it wasn't going to be a series (I don't think it has a sequel, either) but the book is essentially unfinished. It ends (me being as unspoilery as possible) with a certain character just starting to put the pieces together as if a new chapter is about to begin. And just cuts off. With no reason or explanation or any kind of finality. And no hints at a sequel. Basically, it's how not to do a cliffhanger. And...I feel very unfulfilled. :/

Think I'll go do some beta reading and read through some things I've been meaning to give feedback on.

Top Bottom