• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
*sigh* at the guys picking fights and drawing these battle lines.

It seems it will never end...

All this name calling crap really needs to stop, it does NOTHING for discussions.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
*sigh* at the guys picking fights and drawing these battle lines.

It seems it will never end...

All this name calling crap really needs to stop, it does NOTHING for discussions.
Calling people names for liking a game and calling people names for disliking a name. I'm no innocent in the latter, but I really don't like doing it.v_v

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Calling people names for liking a game and calling people names for disliking a name. I'm no innocent in the latter, but I really don't like doing it.v_v

Then one really should stop.

As its been proven time and time again on this forum, doing it only causes problems and ruins discussions.

Calling a certain group of people a name will only cause the people from that group to call you out as well.

And then 9 times out of 10 a flamewar will start.

Doesn't help a discussion one bit I must say.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Reported for thread derailment.

I find it sad how you dislike me so much.

Because I honestly do not have a problem with you.

But the fact that you would report me for trying to send a message of peace by asking people not to do things that would start flamewars just shows how far this really should not have gotten.

Please dude, I don't want to have any problems with you, you don't have to be so unneedlessly hostile.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I find it sad how you dislike me so much.

Because I honestly do not have a problem with you.

But the fact that you would report me for trying to send a message of peace by asking people not to do things that would start flamewars just shows how far this really should not have gotten.

Please dude, I don't want to have and problems with you, you don't have to be so unneedlesily hostile.
Yeah, and actually agreed with what you said before o.o

This is probably one of the few places fans can go where things aren't insane like youtube or gamespot. I'd rather the peace was kept and people can talk, actually talk to each other.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Yeah, and actually agreed with what you said before o.o

This is probably one of the few places fans can go where things aren't insane like youtube or gamespot. I'd rather the peace was kept and people can talk, actually talk to each other.

Yea I would love to just have a peaceful discussion with all the members here.

But some simply just like to be so hostile.

I just do not get it since I convey my opinions without insulting others, it isn't that hard.

But this is getting offtopic, i have said my peace and hopefully in the future Unknown can let go of his ill feelings he has for me so we can have actual "peaceful" discussions around here.

I don't want any problems with the guy after all.

Sorry for the derailment everybody.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
a message of peace
Whatever it is you're trying to convey, it certainly isn't this.

I don't think I can accept your apology (you did say "everybody", after all) because I have a feeling you're just going to go into another future thread with more escalating messages -- all under the guise of "peace".

And I don't think you mean it, either.

I'm going to be leaving for now to avoid further conflict.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
dante-vergil-vs-inuyasha-sesshomaru.jpg

They'll never know the difference... :shifty:

Well as a whole...there are plenty of differences.

Inuyasha and Sesshomaru aren't twins and are technically half brothers and Sesshomaru is the older brother by leaps and bounds (when Inuyasha was born Sesshomaru was literally how he looked now so he was born way ahead of Inyasha), since Inuyasha and Sesshomaru had different moms (???). I put a question mark for its unknown whose Sesshomaru's mother is but Sesshomaru unlike Inuyasha isn't a half breed, he is a full demon. Further the swords, Inuyasha and Sesshomaru's father had 2 swords and out of the 2 sons, Inuyasha got the better sword, their father's greatest sword while Sesshomaru, though got a pretty handy sword the Tensaiga, it wasn't as good as the Tetsusaiga and he wanted that. In fact, Sesshomaru in fact asked his father and it was supposed to be given to him but his father instead chosed Inuyasha to have it and hid it so one day he could find it and use it and not Sesshomaru. Now for Sparda he had 3 swords (2 if going by Kamiya's original vision) and he used one to seal away the demon world and gave the other 2 to his sons based on DMC4 and a passage in DMC1, Vergil got the better sword (Yamato can open up/close portals/dimensions to the underworld and stuff and displayed the ability to rip through and sever time and space...what can Rebellion do......you can throw it like a boomerang).

Now if with DMC3 based on DMC1, if Capcom never took away the Force Edge and replaced it with Rebellion but kept the plot almost the same (it would have to adjust to Vergil wanting to claim the Force Edge from Dante and either remove the Temen-ni-Gru plot or alter it) then you can say it was a direct rip off of Inuyasha since Dante would have his father's best sword while Vergil would have to settle for second best.

Now the similarities, Vergil and Sesshomaru both want their father's power. Sesshomaru wants it because....well its his father's and he thinks he deserves it more than Inuyasha. Vergil wants more power for some reason and thinks Sparda's power, his father's power, is the way t get more power. Sesshomaru based on what I remember isn't as power hungry as Vergil. Both want their father's power through his greatest weapon but Inuyasha has it and Dante does not.

Dante and Inuyasha....there both hod heads although Dante is much more cocky and Inuyasha is much more....violent and savage. They both have white hair and wears red but that is a cultural thing.

Not saying the writers didn't get any influence from Inuyasha, they did and a lot of other things (Batman, Static Shock, etc) but they did a better job at hiding that fact than NT did. Even when DMC4 took some influence(rip off) from Bleach it still doesn't compare to the Hollow Vergil/Ichigo fiasco.

With DMC4 it was very light and people only compare DMC4 to Bleach because of the VA. You can change the voice actors and you'll probably never draw a comparison of DMC4 to Bleach. You might compare it to Mario or any other story of a hero saving his girlfriend from baddies...or a religious cult.

IncarnatedDemon

@ about Hollow Vergil
Throughout games ive seen this concept of a evil or opposite version of a character.

Dark Link
FFA_Dark_Link.png

SHADOW War
Sga.jpg

Evil Cole
1238514029-evil_cole.png

Granted the word "Hollow" is pretty british word. But with what i know (Bleach), there is no other direction other than HollowVergil being ripped off from HollowIchigo.

How he is all white
How they call him Hollow Vergil instead of Dark/Evil/Corrupted/Nelo Angelo or any other name.
And other similarities such as the battle happening in a Hueco mundo looking place, and in a "Soul plane" similar to where HollowIchigo resides in Bleach (Ichigo's soulworld).

So if anyone has played any games,read any books or watched a movie where a "Hollow" version of a character has been presented, then please do let me know.

Because ive not played all the games in world, watched all movies or even read all books.

So with what i have watched, i conclude "This is a Bleach rip off".

I tried search on google with keywords "Hollow UK British culture Amulet Evil Corrupt Heartless/Heart" in hopes of finding something within British culture that could explain Hollow Vergil, but i found nothing.
Since NT is a british studio, i am sure they have been influenced by the british culture.

Sunaka Marién

The whole point of the Vergil's Downfall DLC is that Vergil goes through the same "Journey to the Centre of the Mind" vision quest that Dante went through during the course of the main campaign, and the ultimate result for both of them was that they obtained their Devil Trigger once the vision was complete. The problem is that Dante's quest was absurdly simplistic compared to Vergil's, and he never had to deal with FACING HIS DEMONS, because that expression refers to coming to terms with your personal problems through introspection. VD did represent this, the main campaign didn't, and it's conspicous because we get very little insight into Dante's background when the vision quest would have been a great opportunity to flesh out his character. The man apparently burned down an orphanage as a child and spent most of his life brutalizing police officers; you'd think he'd have to come to terms with that before being given the power of ZA WARUDO.
Only half correct. Vergil had already obtained his DT somethime previous to the games events. What Vergil goes through in VD is due to his live being literally destroyed, creating new and strenghtening already existing inner troubles he has now to face, and regaining his DT in the process.
But I agree that they could have elaborated on Dante's past and inner troubles more during his quest for his DT :ermm:

.That does imply an interesting question: How would you have designed Vergil's Doppleganger? I mean as a question for everybody. That's probably a good thread starter right there.
Sounds intresting. You should do that! :D

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Macabre don't be drawn into these conversations either as they don't exactly show members in a good light.

...So I should avoid talking about DmC, because other people might shame themselves when they replY? I'll try to tone down.

...Although I wouldn't mind knowing what Chancey's original reply was...

Macabre, Dante did face his demons, Mundus. He choose to fight instead of running away. He faced his demons by killing the demon king that murdered his mother, tore his family apart, imprisoned his dad and sent down the the life filled with demons where he was unable to trust another person until Vergil found him.

The whole point of the Vergil's Downfall DLC is that Vergil goes through the same "Journey to the Centre of the Mind" vision quest that Dante went through during the course of the main campaign, and the ultimate result for both of them was that they obtained their Devil Trigger once the vision was complete. The problem is that Dante's quest was absurdly simplistic compared to Vergil's, and he never had to deal with FACING HIS DEMONS, because that expression refers to coming to terms with your personal problems through introspection. VD did represent this, the main campaign didn't, and it's conspicous because we get very little insight into Dante's background when the vision quest would have been a great opportunity to flesh out his character. The man apparently burned down an orphanage as a child and spent most of his life brutalizing police officers; you'd think he'd have to come to terms with that before being given the power of ZA WARUDO.

Still, both their mindscapes are shown to be barren, empty expanses, so that at least confirmed my impression of them.

Vergil11_zpsd662cb7a.jpg

Devil-may-cry-vergil-nelo-angelo.jpg

That parallel makes no sense to me either: In the Classic continuity Vergil's hair was a spiky bouffant before he fell into darkness, when he was a free agent following his own agenda. His hair became slicked back after he was corrupted by evil and became a monster.

The Antonaides brothers got the haircuts mixed up, because they're dingbats.

Plus, of all the negatively regarded stylistic elements inherent to the shounen aesthetic, why would you include Saiyan hair, even as a reference to the old games? Especially with a design like that, which seems more reminiscent of a truant yanki than a terrifying demon lord. Maybe he's going to dominate humanity by sending them into paroxysms of hysterical laughter.

As for being a the most meaningless excuse imaginable, DmC IS a Devil May Cry game. They can do whatever they want with it. Stop being so ignorant of that.

And as Chancey pointed out, a big part of the design intent with DmC was to avoid making parallels to Japanese idioms in order to "westernize" the franchise. The fact that it had to rely upon cliches popularised by shonen manga, and even use exactly the same nomenclature to refer to the concept ("Hollow" Personas) instead of anything else shows a shocking dearth of creativity.

It's surprising just how many westerners are looking to Bleach of all things for "creative inspiration".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnate_(comics)

I wish they'd made Hollow Vergil, Dante and Kat more bloody looking in the eyes though, that probably would've helped making it look less obvious where they got inspiration from.

That does imply an interesting question: How would you have designed Vergil's Doppleganger? I mean as a question for everybody. That's probably a good thread starter right there.

Personally I'd have loved it if he just looked like Vergil at his best; pristine and handsome to draw contrast with Real Vergil's increasingly dishevelled, pathetic appearance. Yet the "Hollow" persona is daubed in the blood of the followers who he has manipulated into laying down their lives fruitlessly and pointlessly while serving the Order, their hands and faces writhing across the surface of his skin as he smiles with satisfaction. A core part of Vergil's character as I see it is that he's willing to pile the bodies of those who believe in him up to the sky just so he can reach the Castle on the Hill.

God damn it, now I'm fixating on Berserk again.

View attachment 597

But, like I said before, DMC5 is coming back,

View attachment 598

Stop regurgitating what is unproven and untrue in an attempt to divert attention away from discussion of DmC. It doesn't help anyone.

I knew he was inspired by the Joker. Arkham being the jester character. As a comic book fanatic it wasn't hard for me to piece together he was inspired by our giggly inmate from Arkham Asylum.

The trope of the giggling trickster harlequin extends back well before Robert Kane had a mescaline bender and decided that the perfect adversary for The World's Greatest Detective would be an unstable stand up comedian.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheJester

you mean the games were they commisioned award winning writers to write the script for them?:
the writer for heavenly sword had to gut everything but the basic character ideas
for enslaved tameem wanted Monkey to kick a slave out of a plane to his death to show he was a badass.

And in the end Ninja Theory's interpretation of Journey To The West made the tale of a pious pacifist teaching the ways of peace to an invincible trickster magician into a murderquest to kill Live Action Andy Serkis.

Oh well, at least they made one of the most racist games ever, right?

Because that's who you want making a more "western" interpretation of your franchise: a studio that has NEVER made a game without pervasive asian stylistic influences.

Genius.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Reported for thread escalation.

I request that this thread be closed.

You call for a thread to be closed the very moment somebody catches you in a lie. The truth is DMC5 hasn't been confirmed or even hinted, and it's wrong for anyone to repeatedly state such a thing as a fact when it clearly isn't so.

Give the mods a rest for goodness sake.

As for the thread's subject, I have to say that when a journalistic industry has a clear conflict of interest with the very media that it's intended to scrutinize, it's only sensible to approach it's advice with caution. I wouldn't be inclined to take political advice from a pundit whose blog is plastered with banner ads for the party he recommends any more than I'd trust a 9/10 video review for a game on a site that is sandwiched between two ads for the same game.

I saw a lot of ads for DmC surrounding reviews that were very positive, but then again I saw a lot of ads for Metal Gear Rising surrounding reviews that were much more critical.

It's important to question the credibility of anyone you trust, but you shouldn't be too quick to doubt everyone. Even Dorito Pope.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You call for a thread to be closed the very moment somebody catches you in a lie.
I've already requested that the thread be closed before this. Nice try. Looks like you're the one who's trying to mislead people here.

Edit:

You may want to consider PMs if you really want to give the mods a rest that much.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I've already requested that the thread be closed before this. Nice try. Looks like you're the one who's trying to mislead people here.

Edit:

You may want to consider PMs if you really want to give the mods a rest that much.

I'm engaging the discussion on the subject of games industry credibility because it interests me. You have no need to participate if you don't want to.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
You responded to my posts. If you're going continue this, then do it on PM.

It's obvious now that you're doing this for the sake of an audience, nothing more.

So, I know that you would never take this to PM, anyway.

And you never needed to reply, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom