• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Were the reviews really paid or people aren't buying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncarnatedDemon

I don't care if you're a Bleach fan. It's ok at best but also severely overrated because it really isn't good.
I never asked for your opinion of Bleach, as i know what Bleach is. But i still appreciate the good things by Bleach. Now be either stop spiting out garbage not relevant to what is discuessed,is HollowVergil taken from Bleach?, or dont post at all.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Very weak attempt.

So you say, right before launching into a double post! This "weak attempt" clearly struck a nerve, or you'd have used the Edit button. At least I'd hope.

Does one thing that could draw a similarity to an overrated anime show really compare to an entire series that takes so much influence from anime all along?

Whenever someone levels criticism at DmC, I see the same defence thrown up: "Classic DMC did the same thing!". That's the most meaningless excuse imaginable; the entire purpose of this insipid reboot exercise was to break the Devil May Cry franchise away from the perceived Japanese influences that were apparently holding the franchise back from getting God Of War level sales. The idea that a creative team would take this instruction and decide to base their new take on the franchise, meant to "modernize" a "dated" franchise, and looked to cult films from '88 and '99 for primary inspiration is absolutely mind boggling. That's before you get to the fact that Bleach was abused for inspiration with Vergil's Downfall.

I keep seeing this point ignored, so I'll reiterate: The entire purpose of this reboot was to make it less "anime", and they made it "anime" anyway. You can't just say "DMC3 was a bit like Inuyasha" and make it go away; Alex Antonaides literally copied the entire final battle for VD out of a Bleach Tankobon. This is what happens when you let your brother with no writing experience handle the script of a multi-million dollar project. Then again, who needs talented writers when you have nepotism, right?

View attachment 594

Of course we know why Vergil's Downfall had to be a bootleg Persona 4 sequence; the purpose of the DLC was to reuse assets from the main game in an attempt to scrounge up extra revenue from the project, which meant it had to use character models and animations from the main game, so it makes sense to have the primary villain be a "dark self" doppelganger. Even if it makes no sense in context of the plot: Dante's visit to the centre of his mind didn't require him to fight a personification of his inner darkness; he never even had to FACE HIS DEMONS in the psychological sense, which is bizarre given that it's the tagline of the damned game. He never needed to encounter apparitions based on his past, even though he apparently had an angsty and painful background from the orphanage. A little consistency is all I'm asking for.

View attachment 593

Christ, DmC: Venereal Disease is so awful I'm getting sidetracked, hang on...

The truth is that DmC didn't need to have these Japanese anime or American movie influences at all, especially not ones this out of vogue. Ninja Theory only had the proviso of making a game that would "modernize" and "westernize" the Devil May Cry IP, they could have taken that and made a game that took inspiration from the UK's culture to enrich the franchise. It would certainly have helped NT, considering the UK government's new policy of awarding tax credit to new media that spotlights UK culture.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/73001/120927_VG_Condoc.pdf

Of course we couldn't have that either; NT are just as ignorant to the UK's history and modern culture as everyone else. You know it's pretty sad when JoJo's Bizarre Adventure has done more to glorify UK history in heroic fantasy fiction than Ninja Theory.

View attachment 592

I'm never getting an over the top action game based on The War Of The Roses or the Ulster Cycle, am I...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
115195__safe_fluttershy_animated_reaction-image_putting-your-hoof-down_saddle-bag.gif.gif

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Macabre, Dante did face his demons, Mundus. He choose to fight instead of running away. He faced his demons by killing the demon king that murdered his mother, tore his family apart, imprisoned his dad and sent down the the life filled with demons where he was unable to trust another person until Vergil found him.

And also

Vergil11_zpsd662cb7a.jpg

Devil-may-cry-vergil-nelo-angelo.jpg

As for being a the most meaningless excuse imaginable, DmC IS a Devil May Cry game. They can do whatever they want with it. Stop being so ignorant of that.

And this Bleach stuff, didn't DMC3 get a lot of inspiration from the Joker for Jester? Heck even calling the guy that was really him by Arkham, the name of Arkham city. Lady even climbed up the side of the tower by a rope like the classic Batman shows used to do. I don't see anybody exactly calling that a rip off, thank god.

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
And this Bleach stuff, didn't DMC3 get a lot of inspiration from the Joker for Jester? Heck even calling the guy that was really him by Arkham, the name of Arkham city. Lady even climbed up the side of the tower by a rope like the classic Batman shows used to do. I don't see anybody exactly calling that a rip off, thank god.
you also get a trophy called "Asylum" when you beat Arkham lol

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
HD collection, not original release on ps2.
They didn't have trophies on the ps2, I guess they must've thought it'd be a nice nod to it on the HD release on the Ps3. A lot of Ps2 games re-released to HD get this trophy thing added now. I had it for when I got the HD version of RE: Code Veronica.

i hope they make him a sadisdick clown like the Joker >:3
Oh god yes! Mislead Dante into thinking Jester's a clown joking around,and then do a flip and make him appear really dark and sadistic.

And dancing, don't forget the dancing XD

Dark Drakan

Admin
I don't care if you're a Bleach fan. It's ok at best but also severely overrated because it really isn't good.

Bleach is overrated. Screw Bleach.

Does one thing that could draw a similarity to an overrated anime show really compare to an entire series that takes so much influence from anime all along?

This is stupid and grasping for straws. Geez, enough of this stupid bs.

Nice try but, you are really just making yourself look silly.

Very weak attempt.

Amazes me how people are still stating opinions as facts & multiple people in this thread have been doing it. Also have a little more respect for peoples opinions as simply stating people are speaking bs all the time & mocking them for liking something you do not is getting a little old. Ive seen so many posts in this nature lately that I felt I had to comment & suggest a more respectful attitude is taken for your own good & the overall maturity level of the boards.

As I said before its like someone slating someone else for having a favourite food that they themselves dont like, then everytime they mention it them saying how bad it is. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean no-one is allowed to like it or you should mock them for thinking a different way than you. I mean I hate olives but does that give me the right to tell everyone who likes them they are wrong & have bad taste? No, variety is what makes life interesting, respect it.

“It's okay to disagree with the thoughts or opinions expressed by other people. That doesn't give you the right to deny any sense they might make. Nor does it give you a right to accuse someone of poorly expressing their beliefs just because you don't like what they are saying. Learn to recognize good writing when you read it, even if it means overcoming your pride and opening your mind beyond what is comfortable.”
- Ashly Lorenzana

Macabre don't be drawn into these conversations either as they don't exactly show members in a good light.

Cabbage Detective

Cabbages <3
Oh god yes! Mislead Dante into thinking Jester's a clown joking around,and then do a flip and make him appear really dark and sadistic.

And dancing, don't forget the dancing XD
don't forget the puns: "*Jester is about to trow a flameball at Dante* "You're fired!" :troll:
they could do stuff like this:troll:

IncarnatedDemon

LittleCorn is right Dante did face his demons (Mundus).
That aside

Macabre is right, just because in past games there have been rip offs doesn't make it ok or "let's forget about it".

A rip off wont excuse another rip off
Neither will a murder excuse another murder.

"I murdered someone, but its ok, my family has murdered someone as well".

That being said, i definetly think Downfall was pretty rushed story and the concept of HollowVergil seems to be taken from Bleach.

And why must what DMC having ripped off be taken into a topic of possibility of HollowVergil concept being a rip off Bleach?
Where is the logic in that?

Obviously DMC has ripped off stuff, noone can deny it.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Obviously DMC has ripped off stuff, noone can deny it.
Then, there we go :3

By the way, does anybody have a clip of Bleach that shows this hollow thing? I feel a little left out of the loop. If they were doing a nod to that series like DMC3 did with Batman with The Joker, I'd like to see.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So, if the Old Series has ripped stuff off, why are people complaining about DmC doing the exact same thing?

Sunaka Marién

Then, there we go :3

By the way, does anybody have a clip of Bleach that shows this hollow thing? I feel a little left out of the loop. If they were doing a nod to that series like DMC3 did with Batman with The Joker, I'd like to see.
I guess that's the one people were talking about:
(Ah, btw, that "Zangetsu" they're talking about is Ichigo's sword, and in that realm the two are fighting in that clip, Zangetsu usually has a human form Ichigo can talk to.
Bankai is some sorta super mode, where they're stronger or something. Not too sure anymore.
Just thought that could be a little confusing to someone who hasn't read Bleach :< )
Edit: Oh, and "Hichigo" stands for "Hollow Ichigo".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom