• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was 2 dodge buttons really necessary?

The Final Offer

We've been over that already. Demon/Angel dodge is decided by holding L2 or R2.

The dodges themselves are mapped to two buttons, and the dodges themselves are exactly the same. You can hold R2 and press either L1 or R1 and you'll still get a Demon Dodge. Same for Angel Dodge.

The dodges are what this whole thread is about, not the modifiers for said dodges.

Yeah, but why bring up trickster again?

Axon49

Frequency 141.80
Yeah, but why bring up trickster again?

Someone else brought it up. I was just replying with how I don't think it's comparable to the topic of this thread.

This thread is about two buttons doing the exact same thing. The Trickster Dash is different than the rolling dodge, so I don't see any comparison or relevance between the two.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
No not at all. I thought it was very silly to have two dodge buttons. They could have easily used the other for devil trigger. Or....

you know.....

a lock on button.

:whistle:
Though this was said for lulz, I'm quoting it because I seriously feel this way.
No lock-on button sucks ass and it always will. Not all gamers are friggin pro at hack and slashing left right and center without the aid of lock-on.

If you had problems with DmC because of the lack of lock on then, how you dress yourself in the mornings?
With style, thank you very much. At least I'm not grabbing toothpaste, a hairbrush, a shoe and a shirt and slamming them onto all the wrong body parts while I'm doing it, which is honestly what DmC feels like to me sometimes. I get lost and then I don't know wtf is going on and then BAM, I'm hit, bam bam bam, down down down. It's really annoying.
If NT was trying to appeal to the more casual newbie gamer and make this game easier yet more challenging than the previous entries, they could have added the friggin lock-on button.
OR they could have made it the DT.
Like, come on. Make it EASY for me.

This is just my preference as a casual gamer. I'm not a hardcore-this-is-do-or-die kind of gamer. I like to have fun, not tear my hair out because of little things that could have made it more enjoyable and less frustrating.

But alas.
Bring out ye pitchforks then, I have yet again spoken my mind. :rolleyes:

Gabranth

I understand what they were thinking with using two dodge buttons. Its fine, but now I think I would have preferred to have one dodge button and the other button should have been used for Devil Trigger. Which should have worked a bit like the previous games, rather than having L3+R3 DT.

R3+L3 could have then been used for Taunting the enemy.

Not sure where these misconceptions of lock-on comes from. DmC uses a full manual lock-on, rather than the automatic lock-on of the previous games.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Though this was said for lulz, I'm quoting it because I seriously feel this way.
No lock-on button sucks ass and it always will. Not all gamers are friggin pro at hack and slashing left right and center without the aid of lock-on.

With style, thank you very much. At least I'm not grabbing toothpaste, a hairbrush, a shoe and a shirt and slamming them onto all the wrong body parts while I'm doing it, which is honestly what DmC feels like to me sometimes. I get lost and then I don't know wtf is going on and then BAM, I'm hit, bam bam bam, down down down. It's really annoying.
If NT was trying to appeal to the more casual newbie gamer and make this game easier yet more challenging than the previous entries, they could have added the friggin lock-on button.
OR they could have made it the DT.
Like, come on. Make it EASY for me.

This is just my preference as a casual gamer. I'm not a hardcore-this-is-do-or-die kind of gamer. I like to have fun, not tear my hair out because of little things that could have made it more enjoyable and less frustrating.

But alas.
Bring out ye pitchforks then, I have yet again spoken my mind. :rolleyes:

Now see, if there was a hard lock option, it would just have been on R3, a la Souls style, because there's no reason why a camera centering function couldn't also be a lock-on, like it always is. Given how the game works, having a lock-on key anywhere but occupying the same key as camera centering would be silly. If I remember correctly, pushing R3 during a fight will actually face your camera to whatever your current target is with the soft lock.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Can you just shut your goddamn mouth for once? What pitchforks are there? I'm just replying, adding on, to what DS said. No hostility whatsoever.
Running around, jumping on others back, remember? And that wasn't a question, so no need for answer ;)

Queen Virus

The Nephilim on Your Sholder
I, personaly, never use the dodge button, unless I have to in order to get to the next level.

Elijah Guerrero

There's no better way to get dressed in the morning. ;)

in completely unrelated news not pertaining to this post, i like DmC Dante and Vergil's attire it sets them apart in terms of how they grew up (plus Dante is more 'normal' then the classic series). when i look at Dante and Nero in the classic series i can't help bu think that they spent hours getting things done to look that way (at least Vergil in Devil May Cry 3 made some sense).

Also i wanted to point out that Tameem pointed out earlier during an interview (when the game was still in development), that the reason why there was two dodge buttone was so that people wouldn't have trouble using their angel and demon weapons along with the dodge mechanic (think of it this way, if the dodge button was mapped to R1 (remaining as one button), it would be problomatic to pull off a specific dodge with the Demon mode (R2) as your index finger is holding down that button). to me the dual dodge buttons were a nice touch.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Can you just shut your goddamn mouth for once? What pitchforks are there? I'm just replying, adding on, to what DS said. No hostility whatsoever.
Running around, jumping on others back, remember? And that wasn't a question, so no need for answer ;)

Simmer down you two, goes for the rest of people who deem it necessary to bait others too. Seem as though the 2 of you seem to have been arguing since the dawn of time maybe its time to add each other to your ignore lists before warnings start getting handed out for the tone of your posts towards each other & further action starts coming into play...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Simmer down you two, goes for the rest of people who deem it necessary to bait others too. Seem as though the 2 of you seem to have been arguing since the dawn of time maybe its time to add each other to your ignore lists before warnings start getting handed out for the tone of your posts towards each other & further action starts coming into play...

Oh, I wasn't baiting anyone. But if it comes up this way, I do better to improve myself, i promise ;)

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
in completely unrelated news not pertaining to this post, i like DmC Dante and Vergil's attire it sets them apart in terms of how they grew up (plus Dante is more 'normal' then the classic series). when i look at Dante and Nero in the classic series i can't help bu think that they spent hours getting things done to look that way (at least Vergil in Devil May Cry 3 made some sense).
In fairness, DmC was intended to bring the Devil May Cry mythos to a contemporary, modern world...so Dante and Vergil's attire made sense, given their surroundings.

DMC 1-4 was set in a much more Gothic, style-entrenched, logic-defying world, and the clothes of Dante and Vergil reflect that.

In terms of clothes, I don't have any complaints. Everyone seems dressed appropriately, and caters to their personality really well...from Dante's casual hoodie in DmC, to Nero's punkish and modified Order of the Sword coat, to the New Vergil's consistent wearing of gloves for all of his hacking activity throughout the game.

One thing I find amusing is that everybody seems to hate DMC4 Dante's attire...yes, the infamous "red cowboy stripper boots." Personally, I think it embodies his personality fairly well. It's both a nod to the professional look of DMC1 Dante (particularly the sleeves), but retains some of the carefree and flamboyant nature he has in DMC3---which btw, is way, way more tolerable and better-executed in this game. It's almost a way of the character designer saying that Dante is more professional and down to earth than he was in 3, but even at this age, he still has a lot of growing up to do (Lady yanking the pizza away from him in that one scene was a perfect example of this).

Oh, and by the way...his boots aren't red. That's not even what he's wearing...they're called "chaps." Just thought I'd throw that out there.

(I know, this is the longest I've defended the original Dante on ANYTHING. I really hope this is just a temporary lapse).

Viper

Premium
Oh, and by the way...his boots aren't red. That's not even what he's wearing...they're called "chaps." Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I've seen this and thought to share with people the page from artbook where you can see nicely what Dante's boots look like. Yeah, they are normal black boots, the red part comes over them and is connected to the black chaps.
Well, I call the upper black part chaps, but the lower red one I refer to as legwarmers just for fun. XD

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
The title is self explanatory.
I found that I always used the analog stick to control the direction I went and always used only one of the dodge buttons. Note I set it so that on an X box 360 controller my Left bumper was demon mode and left trigger was for Angel Mode. And kept the Right button as the only dodge button I needed.

You found a way that is confortable for your set-up. The default set-up was created so that you can alternate between the two dodge buttons with your index fingers as you hold one of the two stance(demon and angel) buttons with your middle fingers. If you believe two buttons were not necessary, then there is always the custom set-ups, that most advanced dmc players used anyways.

I for one believe an actual problem with the button layout was the gun special (jump+fire), and so almost never used it, since I usually play with the default set-up. I play on the PS3 btw.

SSSSwagmasterMLGDmCplaya

Was two dodge buttons necessary? Of course not.
If both buttons do the EXACT SAME THING, there's no need for it. You can easily discipline yourself to use one dodge button, especially when its in R1 and L1 by default. And there's no repercussions besides the player's skill, which is not much to achieve something as simple as use one dodge button. Two dodge buttons is only really acceptable in Vergil's Downfall, because the buttons had different dodges, if I recall correctly.

When I played through DmC, all I used was R1 to dodge. I replaced L1 for firearm attacks, for easier charge. I did not need to use the second dodge button at all, I replaced it with Gun Special instead.
Putting two dodge buttons is a waste of space on the controller, therefore a waste of potential for more features to be added like a Lock On button. One may argue that two dodge buttons are needed for gun specials, in which my response would be that gun specials should have been put there by default. That would still leave Jump+Gun empty for another ability, in other words, the wasted potential would still be there (though quite honestly, I rather not use Jump+Gun because it starts getting in the way of gun JC, though still manageable).

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I find it funny that people are complaining about this, seeing as there were two "shoot" buttons in DMC1. You'd thing they would've used it for something more useful...

Top Bottom