• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil and the gun (Spoilers...maybe a plothole.)

btmudd28

Right, so you just aren't capable of accepting things as they happen in the game for the specific purpose of being entertaining and telling a story, that's what I'm getting here. To me, you're trying to inject your own logic into the narrative to make it look bad. No one was around to hear the exposition, and that's why it happened there, for specific dramatic effect and theatricality, yes, but that's who most writing is done. No more different than Temen-Ni-Gru popping up right down the street from Dante's office (how convenient), the dumbass Cloverfield monster to swat Lady Liberty's head right in front of the main character's apartment (whoooaa did you see that?!), Snake diving into the very same river The Sorrow's corpse happened to be in (of all the rivers in the expansive Russian jungle! Whodathunk?!), or Ventus and Vanitas fighting on a stained-glass floor that shatters, leaving them flying around, fighting amidst glittering shards of glass (Hooodangthat'spurty!). All things are written for a specific, oftentimes theatrical or dramatic effect, especially when it comes to games and movies. DmC is no different. Why are they not allowed to be theatrical, and when the entire setting is perfectly set up to allow for it? No cameras, no people, no eavesdropping demons, that's how it was written. Get over it.

This!! So much this!! This is the exact point I made. It's all part of plot progression. It happens in every type of story-telling media. Things happen just to move the story forward alongside with a "woah, cool!!" moment.

Also, Two, WE LIKE THE SAME THINGS!! Fun fact for the day hahaha.

Downfall

It wasn't a sniper was it? I thought it was an XM8 Assault Rifle.

It was an XM8 with a sniper scope and barrel extension on it.

it looked like it, but as far as i know an xm8 cant blow a hole that big into a body. at least i dont think it can... cause that was some serious stopping power

"A 30-calibre bolt-action 700 with a Carbon One modification, and a state-of-the-art Hensolt tactical scope. At this range, the exit wound ought to be the size of a small tangerine." :steve:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Phone_Booth_(film)

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
And just think of the kind of customization Vergil could have done to that thing so that when the bullet exited, the hole would be the size of a watermelon like we saw. He was probably, what, twenty to thirty feet away from her at most? if even that?

it looked like it, but as far as i know an xm8 cant blow a hole that big into a body. at least i dont think it can... cause that was some serious stopping power
True, although some people are exaggerating on the size of the exit wound. Although it leaves you to think, the size of the Spawn she was carrying maybe it, you know? Exploded... *rolls eyes*

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
"But if we will get him away from Hell Gate, our swords will do the rest" From what Vergil haven been saying Mundus is immortal when he is near gate getting power from it.
I would mind that if Mundus and Dante would fall out during fight, but what i have seen is just plain stupid. If there was at least one guard to keep eye on gate that would make more sense.

Wait. Mundus didn't know who Vergil was, therefore didn't know he had the yamato in his possession. Plus, Vergil also said Mundus is reckless when he's angry, and I don't know about you, but if some punk shot my only child while still in the mother's stomach, I'd be pretty ****ed.

Downfall

Wait. Mundus didn't know who Vergil was, therefore didn't know he had the yamato in his possession. Plus, Vergil also said Mundus is reckless when he's angry, and I don't know about you, but if some punk shot my only child while still in the mother's stomach, I'd be pretty ****ed.

Yeah, but after you ate his mother's heart? :|

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
This!! So much this!! This is the exact point I made. It's all part of plot progression. It happens in every type of story-telling media. Things happen just to move the story forward alongside with a "woah, cool!!" moment.

It's sorta like what my girlfriend said, it's part of the suspension of disbelief - certain things you just have to accept as happening in order for the story to progress. If you really get right down to it, all stories have these "convenient things" happen in the plot to move it forward, and you just have to sort of go with it. To lose that suspension is to essentially start saying "Man, it's really convenient that the gas station attendant's directions got Jim to his destination like they said they would." After a certain point, you just sound like a dork for not going with what the story is telling.

Case in point, we've got people here who seem to only look at the game thinking everything it does is wrong. They have no suspension of disbelief, and are just complaining about any old thing, conveniently inserting or removing logic to justify such an odd position.

Also, Two, WE LIKE THE SAME THINGS!! Fun fact for the day hahaha.

Haha, just don't lump Cloverfield in there, I hate that movie. That is the definition of a movie that had a shaky suspension of disbelief for me :/

Alektus

Hmmmm, it is interesting to not that Vergil would even use a gun, given in the previous titles he considers them beneath him, but yes, I know, it's a reboot.

My main sticking point though is the scene with Lilith, how was she injured and killed so easily by what appeared to be a regular human model assault rifle? Considering Dante's supposedly powerful magic powered pistols are so incredibly weak against pretty much all demons, how is a regular bullet from a regular gun able to do something like that to a demon?
I always just assumed it was because of them being in the real world instead of limbo.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Right, so you just aren't capable of accepting things as they happen in the game for the specific purpose of being entertaining and telling a story, that's what I'm getting here. To me, you're trying to inject your own logic into the narrative to make it look bad. No one was around to hear the exposition, and that's why it happened there, for specific dramatic effect and theatricality, yes, but that's who most writing is done.

...So you're agreeing with me, that it's illogical plot structure then? I'm applying "my own logic" to this scene, it's common sense. Narratives need to have a consistent logical basis that corresponds with how the viewer thinks in order to function. If characters act in such a way that defies good judgement when they are meant to be conniving, ingenius manipulators who have succeeded in evading GODS for many years, it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

No more different than Temen-Ni-Gru popping up right down the street from Dante's office (how convenient),

Temen-Ni-Gru is implicitly a magical location that can appear anywhere, or indeed the city could have been built over it. Dante obviously lives in the city because he gets work there, so it may be like the Hell Mouth in Buffy.

the dumbass Cloverfield monster to swat Lady Liberty's head right in front of the main character's apartment (whoooaa did you see that?!),

It's an illustrative scene which demonstrates the frightening power of the monster and gives a sense of proximity to it's threat, which is hard to do in a first person Kaiju story without revealing the creature outright. It set the tone for the entire story and gave an effective visual motif for the movie to be identified by.

Snake diving into the very same river The Sorrow's corpse happened to be in (of all the rivers in the expansive Russian jungle! Whodathunk?!)

Given that the river is the refuse stream from the biggest military installation in the area and that The Sorrow was killed during a military operation, it's not inconceivable that that particular river was where The Sorrow was killed. It was also demonstrating The Sorrow's message; that Naked Snake was walking a path of murder, and that it may well end with him being killed by The Boss just as he was.

or Ventus and Vanitas fighting on a stained-glass floor that shatters, leaving them flying around, fighting amidst glittering shards of glass (Hooodangthat'spurty!).

That was a symbolic scene occurring within the minds of those two characters. The stained glass window is a visual motif in each Kingdom Hearts game which represents the minds, memories and futures of the characters, so the fact that it is shattered in the midst of their battle symbolizes their mutual self destruction. In Kingdom Hearts 1's prologue when the windows broke it represented Sora fate of being split into alternate personas, and when it was consumed by darkness it represented his (temporary) transformation into a Heartless.

All things are written for a specific, oftentimes theatrical or dramatic effect, especially when it comes to games and movies. DmC is no different. Why are they not allowed to be theatrical, and when the entire setting is perfectly set up to allow for it?

Because good writers are capable of having consistent logical narrative while creating a theatrical, evocative motif throughout their stories. TWOxACROSS, you're clearly a fellow who enjoys his Hong Kong Heroic Bloodshed. You might recall in Hard Boiled, when the detective Tequila investigates Tony, a known triad enforcer, against his boss's wishes, and finds his boat by the harbour. He ambushs Tony when he returns, but instead of killing him Tequila has a chat with Tony at gunpoint, in which we establish that Tony is an insider, and that he owns a curious collection of origami birds.

1292346307_2.jpg

They don't leave the security of the boat to meander through Aberdeen loudly explaining that they are the only ones who can destroy Johnny Wong's syndicate. They do in fact get attacked by a group of assassins, which leads to a frenetic gun battle where the two have to desperately defend eachother despite their mutual distrust and forge an unlikely alliance despite their differences. Together they wipe out their attackers and agree to meet again just as Tequila flees the scene to maintain Tony's cover. The scene uses artful direction and ultraviolence to illustrate their character development just as much as snarky dialogue.

It's consistent with both of their characters, sets up visual motifs for later in the film and is the kind of scene which put Heroic Bloodshed on the map by the interplay of gratuitous action and intelligent story telling.

DmC is replete with scenes where Vergil generally acts like an inept prat for no reason other than to move the plot along and to blatantly demonstrate how evil he is. It's insulting to the viewer's intelligence.

At some point he'd come down away from the Hell Gate, and logically he'd leave the ample amount of protection behind if he did so. He seemingly has an entire police force to do his bidding, along with whatever security is already at his disposal in the tower already. There's also the fact that it was always The Order's plan to try to get Mundus away from the Hell Gate, but they failed so miserably to the point that they had to risk it all on storming the tower, luckily, Kat did some spirit recon to even make that possible. However, the Hell Gate is still pretty important to Mundus, so obviously he probably takes a lot of precautions when he does leave it.

Even if Mundas had a squad of footsoldiers holding the Hell Gate, we've seen (Or rather, seen the result of) Vergil is capable of trouncing hordes of armed soldiers when he infiltrated Mundas's tower. As long as Kat is providing her ridiculously OP all-seeing area exposition powers, Vergil could have snuck inside once Mundas buggered off and had the gate closed within a few minutes. Unless the camera is on him of course; Vergil magically becomes completely incompetent whenever the camera goes on him. It's his kryptonite.

You didn't predict it, and neither did Dante, thus, things played out the way they did.

No, but Vergil predicted it, and it was integral to his plan to close the gate, and he had no way of knowing that Mundas would react in that way. The thing is, it wouldn't even be that hard to write in an explanation or to insert a scene that justifies this massive gamble that Vergil takes with the fate of the world for no reason: Show that on the day Eva was killed, Sparda had friends attack Mundas en masse but Mundas evaporated/melted/spontaniously tortured them to death with no effort at all. When he went to attack Mundas, Sparda goaded and insulted him to the point where the only articulate attack he could manifest was a kinetic shockwave that threw Sparda out of the building.

There, I just cemented over your plot hole. Hell, they could have made the whole sequence playable with a really overpowered Sparda. That would have given the old fans some great fanservice, shown the player Sparda was someone to look up to and wish to emulate, and make the player intimidated by how powerful Mundas was.

<EDIT: Sorry for not explaining that properly, that was a bonehead move on my part>

It's a very specific kind of reaction that is rather common among really ****ed off people.

People manifest psychic blastwaves that ineffectually throw people when they're upset where you're from? Remind me never to visit.

...although to be honest I do the same thing when people make MasterCard jokes...

You can complain until you're blue in the face about how it was written that this or that happened, but that's how those things happened, and I've outlined all of why it all works.

I'm not trying to retroactively remove DmC from existance TxA, I'm showing why I see this entire game's narrative as poorly constructed and why you, as an intelligent human being, deserve better. I'd rather people were knowledgeable and miserable rather than ignorant and content. NT agrees with me, seeing as that's the moral of their game.

You're rather inconsistent in trying to point out flaws, either by questioning the obvious as if it doesn't exist, or by trying to instill your own logic contrary to what already works :/

My logic demonstrates that you can have a story where all elements are internally consistent for the most part while still providing profundity, humor, excitement and the full gamut of human expression. When events happen for no reason or contradict themselves, the story as a whole is weaker. Not that any plot is perfect or that a good story can't have flaws. If you want some good examples just look at Metal Gear again.

liquid-snake-20080508002806370-2389545_320w.jpg

How can a man with a genius level IQ be so completely ignorant of basic genetic theory when it informs his entire world view and philosophy? I can chalk it up to Liquid being a certifiably insane nincompoop who was lied to on a grand scale (Mostly on his IQ score) who was propped up by far better manipulators and tacticians (Ocelot & The Patriots). I can't overlook Vergil's stupidity because he's meant to be the sole orchestrator of a world wide terrorist network, a self taught tactician who outsmarts a god on a daily basis AND the worthy opponent to my protagonist, who should be my equal or better in order to make him threatening and fulfilling to triumph over.

Dante47

It might have something to do with the fact that they were not in Limbo during that particular scene.
One could say Lilith was susceptible to gun fire whilst in human form, along with her child.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
It might have something to do with the fact that they were not in Limbo during that particular scene.
One could say Lilith was susceptible to gun fire whilst in human form, along with her child.
I'm going to go with that. Mundus needs the power of the hell gate to be in the human world and take a human vessel. A soon as the gate is destroyed Mundus is fused with the human form and becomes vulnerable. So it could be concluded that demons are weaker in the human world from what we've seen with Mundus, and this also then applies to Lilith.
She must be a pretty weak demon anyway if she has to hold her human form together with that corset in her skin; and even then there are tears and blood at the back.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
...So you're agreeing with me, that it's illogical plot structure then? I'm applying "my own logic" to this scene, it's common sense. Narratives need to have a consistent logical basis that corresponds with how the viewer thinks in order to function. If characters act in such a way that defies good judgement when they are meant to be conniving, ingenius manipulators who have succeeded in evading GODS for many years, it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

So a person can't have a moment in time to do something different? That's ass.

Temen-Ni-Gru is implicitly a magical location that can appear anywhere, or indeed the city could have been built over it. Dante obviously lives in the city because he gets work there, so it may be like the Hell Mouth in Buffy.

But out of all the places in the world, why did Dante have to be in the city with the giant freakin' tower had to pop up? And also what happen to that tower afterwards? No logical explanation for where it went at all.

It's an illustrative scene which demonstrates the frightening power of the monster and gives a sense of proximity to it's threat, which is hard to do in a first person Kaiju story without revealing the creature outright. It set the tone for the entire story and gave an effective visual motif for the movie to be identified by.

But why near HIS house? Why not let the head fly into some old lady's house, or into the ocean? Why by the house of the guy who has the camera? Logical thinking here.

Given that the river is the refuse stream from the biggest military installation in the area and that The Sorrow was killed during a military operation, it's not inconceivable that that particular river was where The Sorrow was killed. It was also demonstrating The Sorrow's message; that Naked Snake was walking a path of murder, and that it may well end with him being killed by The Boss just as he was.

Can't care enough about MGS since it logically doesn't make sense with some of its plot.

That was a symbolic scene occurring within the minds of those two characters. The stained glass window is a visual motif in each Kingdom Hearts game which represents the minds, memories and futures of the characters, so the fact that it is shattered in the midst of their battle symbolizes their mutual self destruction. In Kingdom Hearts 1's prologue when the windows broke it represented Sora fate of being split into alternate personas, and when it was consumed by darkness it represented his (temporary) transformation into a Heartless.

No. That was to represent the very darkness in his heart, and him having to defeat it. However, logically he fights this giant outside his mind, so logically that doesn't make sense either.

Because good writers are capable of having consistent logical narrative while creating a theatrical, evocative motif throughout their stories. TWOxACROSS, you're clearly a fellow who enjoys his Hong Kong Heroic Bloodshed. You might recall in Hard Boiled, when the detective Tequila investigates Tony, a known triad enforcer, against his boss's wishes, and finds his boat by the harbour. He ambushs Tony when he returns, but instead of killing him Tequila has a chat with Tony at gunpoint, in which we establish that Tony is an insider, and that he owns a curious collection of origami birds.

1292346307_2.jpg

They don't leave the security of the boat to meander through Aberdeen loudly explaining that they are the only ones who can destroy Johnny Wong's syndicate. They do in fact get attacked by a group of assassins, which leads to a frenetic gun battle where the two have to desperately defend eachother despite their mutual distrust and forge an unlikely alliance despite their differences. Together they wipe out their attackers and agree to meet again just as Tequila flees the scene to maintain Tony's cover. The scene uses artful direction and ultraviolence to illustrate their character development just as much as snarky dialogue.

So how did they survive? Logic states that when its just two people and a lot of men with guns, they shouldn't be alive.

It's consistent with both of their characters, sets up visual motifs for later in the film and is the kind of scene which put Heroic Bloodshed on the map by the interplay of gratuitous action and intelligent story telling.

And they survived an entire syndicate? That's logically impossible.

DmC is replete with scenes where Vergil generally acts like an inept prat for no reason other than to move the plot along and to blatantly demonstrate how evil he is. It's insulting to the viewer's intelligence.

I didn't know I had to be a genius to enjoy a game. How sad and illogical for me.

Even if Mundas had a squad of footsoldiers holding the Hell Gate, we've seen (Or rather, seen the result of) Vergil is capable of trouncing hordes of armed soldiers when he infiltrated Mundas's tower. As long as Kat is providing her ridiculously OP all-seeing area exposition powers, Vergil could have snuck inside once Mundas buggered off and had the gate closed within a few minutes. Unless the camera is on him of course; Vergil magically becomes completely incompetent whenever the camera goes on him. It's his kryptonite.

Like Vergil from DMC3 seems completely smart from how he's presented, yet he couldn't even figure out how to open the hell gate while whining about it. How logical Vergil.:/

No, but Vergil predicted it, and it was integral to his plan to close the gate, and he had no way of knowing that Mundas would react in that way. The thing is, it wouldn't even be that hard to write in an explanation or to insert a scene that justifies this massive gamble that Vergil takes with the fate of the world for no reason: Show that when Vergil attacked Sparda, Sparda had friends attack him en masse but Mundas evaporated/melted/spontaniously tortured them to death with no effort at all. When he went to attack Mundas, Sparda goaded and insulted him to the point where the only articulate attack he could manifest was a kinetic shockwave that threw Sparda out of the building.

You do realize Sparda and Dante are two different people, right?

There, I just cemented over your plot hole.

No you didn't, because why is Sparda suddenly back?

I'm not trying to retroactively remove DmC from existance TxA, I'm showing why I see this entire game's narrative as poorly constructed and why you, as an intelligent human being, deserve better. I'd rather people were knowledgeable and miserable rather than ignorant and content. NT agrees with me, seeing as that's the moral of their game.

So DMC3 and DMC4 were enough for stephen hawking's intelligence? Or the President? Oh please. How can you say DmC is for the metally challenged, then by such logic, DMC3's plot and every movie ever created is considered for the brain dead.

My logic demonstrates that you can have a story where all elements are internally consistent for the most part while still providing profundity, humor, excitement and the full gamut of human expression. When events happen for no reason or contradict themselves, the story as a whole is weaker. Not that any plot is perfect or that a good story can't have flaws. If you want some good examples just look at Metal Gear again.

liquid-snake-20080508002806370-2389545_320w.jpg

How can a man with a genius level IQ be so completely ignorant of basic genetic theory when it informs his entire world view and philosophy? I can chalk it up to Liquid being a certifiably insane nincompoop who was lied to on a grand scale (Mostly on his IQ score) who was propped up by far better manipulators and tacticians (Ocelot & The Patriots). I can't overlook Vergil's stupidity because he's meant to be the sole orchestrator of a world wide terrorist network, a self taught tactician who outsmarts a god on a daily basis AND the worthy opponent to my protagonist, who should be my equal or better in order to make him threatening and fulfilling to triumph over.

You must not play much video games, or read many books, or watch a lot of movies with that logic.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
So a person can't have a moment in time to do something different? That's ass.

Not when it threatens and risks their entire life's work for no reason they shouldn't. It'd be like if Naked Snake started scratching his chin with the barrel of a loaded pistol. Vergil could just walk the streets with Dante, no dialog required, show him the play area, and go back to base, letting inference tell the story for him. It would tell the story without the need for lengthy exposition, give the tragedy of their circumstances weight, and make Vergil appear more calculating by having faith in Dante to come to his own conclusions.

But out of all the places in the world, why did Dante have to be in the city with the giant freakin' tower had to pop up? And also what happen to that tower afterwards? No logical explanation for where it went at all.

Like I said, i could be possible that it can be summoned anywhere, and if it did exist before hand it's presence could justify Dante's presence by increasing supernatural activity. Two explanations, both with foundations within the work itself. As for the tower disappearing, the plot ends before it can so we have no way of knowing if it does or not or if it's even relevant.

If you really want to point out a plot hole in DMC3, my favourite is the fact that the entire civilian populace apparently disappears without a trace or a gunshot. It obviously wasn't shown because of the technical/budgetary contraints inherent in making such a scene, and it makes the whole game much eerier by their absence. Ghost towns are freaky.

But why near HIS house? Why not let the head fly into some old lady's house, or into the ocean? Why by the house of the guy who has the camera? Logical thinking here.

Well, Lady Liberty was the first thing that the creature saw upon leaving the ocean and the city was the largest source of light/noise in the proximity, so it struck the statue's head to knock it into the city. Statistically it was going to land in the city somewhere. It's also likely that, no matter where it landed, a disaster in a populated first world zone is going to have someone capable of filming it, whether by camera phone or by full sized camera. The reason we see this is because it's one of (supposedly) many accounts made by those who were at ground zero during the attack.

If you want a real plot hole in Cloverfield it would be the recording surviving a nuclear bombardment, but even that is merely improbable rather than illogical/impossible. In fact a better one is when the protagonist returns to reclaim the camera when the monster is literally standing over him. That was just dumb.

I don't care for Cloverfield myself either.

Can't care enough about MGS since it logically doesn't make sense with some of its plot.

Fair enough, but I'd like to hear what some of those problems are. Open a topic on it in VG general and send me a PM, I'd be interested to hear your perspective on it.

No. That was to represent the very darkness in his heart, and him having to defeat it. However, logically he fights this giant outside his mind, so logically that doesn't make sense either.

TxO is referring to this scene in BBS. Check the whole fight, and especially 2.40 onwards. And you can read that scene in KH1 the way I described it, there's no reason not to. When a theme or symbol appears multiple times and infers the same thing, it's called a motif, which is what this is.

So how did they survive? Logic states that when its just two people and a lot of men with guns, they shouldn't be alive. And they survived an entire syndicate? That's logically impossible.

It's actually just statistically unlikely; there have been recorded events of even non-battle hardened individuals going into scenarios against mutliple advesaries and triumphing. I can link you to Cracked if you like; they've made a media empire out of pointing this out.

However you're deliberately getting mixed up between narrative contrivance and unlikely probability. The whole point of the Heroic Bloodshed genre, or even Heroic fiction, is that characters survive unlikely circumstance through luck, ability or cunning, not that they do things that are incredibly stupid and suffer no ill consequence.

I didn't know I had to be a genius to enjoy a game. How sad and illogical for me.

No, you're intelligent, and you deserve better. God knows I'm not particularly, I just know a decent narrative when I'm told it's Shakespearean.

Like Vergil from DMC3 seems completely smart from how he's presented, yet he couldn't even figure out how to open the hell gate while whining about it. How logical Vergil.

Vergil had no way of knowing how to open the gate because Arkham had intentionally lied to him about it to keep him in the dark, and Vergil's critical personality flaw is that he underestimates humanity. It's implicitly part of his characterisation that Vergil has irreconcilably pride (Notice how Arkham relishes saying the word as he opens the Hellgate). Vorgil does things like discus his plans in public, abandon the person he knows his plans entirely rely on to torture and death (Kat), and further endangers said individual during a critical hostage exchange when he could have just put a gag and a bomb on Lillith.

You do realize Sparda and Dante are two different people, right? No you didn't, because why is Sparda suddenly back?

I'm sorry, I meant to say it could be a flashback to when Eva was killed, because that's when Sparda would logically battle Mundas with Vergil present. I'll edit that now if you don't mind.

So DMC3 and DMC4 were enough for stephen hawking's intelligence? Or the President? Oh please. How can you say DmC is for the metally challenged, then by such logic, DMC3's plot and every movie ever created is considered for the brain dead.

That's not fair, and works under the assumption that I think Devil May Cry was ever up to the standards of high fiction, which I never did. I didn't say DmC is for the mentally challenged either, just that it's not a well told or very consistent story. If you feel insecure enough to infer that perhaps you should calm down before replying.

(Incidentally I do not think you are metally challenged. I am certain you are extremely metal)

DanteUNevan_ad.jpg

Narrative consistency isn't some kind of impossible objective for a writer, it's a standard that all strive for. The reason I'm being so thorough in my assessment of DmC is that NT claimed it was a new high standard in videogame story telling, which is patently untrue.

You must not play much video games, or read many books, or watch a lot of movies with that logic.

I think I've demonstrated that I've got a storied appreciation of those things actually.

For some people small and even massive inconsistencies aren't an issue, but for others it nags at us and stops us from enjoying ourselves. With DmC it's mostly a question of tone. We could overlook DMC's occaisonal pratfalls because it didn't take itself seriously; it's a game where the wild goofball protagonist murders succubi and turns them into guitars for God's sake. If you decide that your plot is going to be a social commentary with a dour protagonist, it's not only going to jacknife into the over-the-top gameplay, but it's also going to be held to a higher standard where people are going to notice things like main characters being stupid for the sake of moving the plot along.

Hell, God Hand is probably my favourite game ever, and it's an incredibly ugly, gleefully stupid mess.

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
Haha, just don't lump Cloverfield in there, I hate that movie. That is the definition of a movie that had a shaky suspension of disbelief for me :/

And maybe DmC has shaky suspension of disbelief for some people? Maybe it's a matter of perspective, we've all got different tolerance levels when it comes to what, when, and how much a story requires us to be credulous.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
And maybe DmC has shaky suspension of disbelief for some people? Maybe it's a matter of perspective, we've all got different tolerance levels when it comes to what, when, and how much a story requires us to be credulous.

Yeah, but my complete lack of suspension for Cloverfield is based completely on the knowledge of the military works, and how retarded they were being all throughout the movie - I hate Cloverfield because the monster only wins because of a completely retarded military and the completely inconsistent monster itself; blasting the monster further into an evacuation zone, an evacuation helicopter circling around to watch the monster instead of evacuating from the area, and the lumbering monster somehow sneaking up on the heroes in the middle of an open patch in Central Park, and choosing a nuclear option after only a night's worth of fighting, oh, and how a nuclear blast didn't completely wipe the recording we were watching. That just...it killed it for me, because stuff stopped making sense, and stuff was done way too conveniently to have things play out. During the movie I seriously thought of so many better ways that things could have played out and still had the intended effect, but nope...it was just...very badly done.

With DmC, suddenly there's no common sense that Vergil wouldn't speak about such things unless they knew they were in a secure-ish location, or that maybe, juuuust maybe, The Order jacked the security feeds. Because it doesn't explicitly tell us so, suddenly it never happened? Or that a dude would get angry enough to punt someone through a building - and that was even explicitly told to us, that Mundus gets angry easily and makes mistakes because of it. Those could seem convenient, but at the same time, they still fit within the story being told.

But, whatever, people can feel how they want to feel, but at that point, why the hell stick around? No one's mind is gonna be changed, and if you have little to no interest...there's gotta be something better to do that talk continuously about it. I'm just tired of people hanging around here who just don't like what the whole point of this side of the forum is for. If I went around to Cloverfield forums bitching about the movie, I'd just be an asshole who could be doing so much more things with my time.

Top Bottom