• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil and the gun (Spoilers...maybe a plothole.)

SryCauldon

Hmmmm, it is interesting to not that Vergil would even use a gun, given in the previous titles he considers them beneath him, but yes, I know, it's a reboot.

My main sticking point though is the scene with Lilith, how was she injured and killed so easily by what appeared to be a regular human model assault rifle? Considering Dante's supposedly powerful magic powered pistols are so incredibly weak against pretty much all demons, how is a regular bullet from a regular gun able to do something like that to a demon?

SryCauldon

Gameplay and story segregation.

See tvtropes article of that name.
That has never been the case in any of the previous DMC titles, Dante taking a bullet to the head and shrugging it off for instance, and being able to do the same in a fight in game.

Or is this another change by the reboot?

SryCauldon

This, and she also caught a bullet to the side of the temple hahahaha
Yes a "regular" bullet, by what is (there is nothing to say or show it is otherwise) a "regular" gun, in virtually all fantasy, demons cannot be properly harmed by normal human weapons (Even Dante's magically imbued heavy caliber pistols have a tough time of it), enough firepower sent there way can do the job, but a single bullet?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Making something magic-powered doesn't explicitly mean the shots are going to hit like a truck. It could entirely mean that the bullets are able to work as normal against demon's in their own realm of Limbo.

Lilith was also killed in the human realm, in her...erm..."human" form, as was Barbas getting two plugged into his flab. From what it seems with what happened with Mundus at the end, in DmC, the human vessel is just as important to a demon existing in the human world as having a working body is for a regular human.

Also remember - the reason Limbo exists is because it's the greatest way for demons to use their magic, because they can't use it in the human realm. Mundus couldn't even do too much in the human world without first getting power from the Hell Gate.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That has never been the case in any of the previous DMC titles, Dante taking a bullet to the head and shrugging it off for instance, and being able to do the same in a fight in game.

Or is this another change by the reboot?

I'd also say this isn't exactly true - I've seen tons of stuff happen in cutscenes that aren't anywhere near the same as gameplay in the classics, like Dante destroying an uninjured Alto Bianco with one non-charged shot from Ivory.

SryCauldon

So if Dante or Vergil were shot in the human world, by a regular human bullet, they would kick the bucket? If that is the case why doesn't Mundus just hire some snipers?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
So if Dante or Vergil were shot in the human world, by a regular human bullet, the would kick the bucket? If that is the case why doesn't Mundus just hire some snipers?

We've already seen that that isn't the case, because as Dante was saving Kat, he was shrugging off bullets to the back. However, Dante and Vergil are also Nephilim, so their power isn't dependent on an alternate dimension, or a Hell Gate.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
So if Dante or Vergil were shot in the human world, by a regular human bullet, they would kick the bucket? If that is the case why doesn't Mundus just hire some snipers?

Well when Dante ran into the rain of bullets to get Kat he didn't die. Apparently the only way to really kill a Nephilim is to rip his heart out.

SryCauldon

We've already seen that that isn't the case, because as Dante was saving Kat, he was shrugging off bullets to the back. However, Dante and Vergil are also Nephilim, so their power isn't dependent on an alternate dimension, or a Hell Gate.
Ummm, since they are half demon, and half angel, wouldn't their power come from Heaven or Hell? Or rather both, so if they are in the human world wouldn't they have the same vulnerabilities as a demon out of hell? Or a angel out of heaven?

btmudd28

Well I think as Dante carries Kat away from the bulletfire in that cutscene from The Trade, we see bullets hitting Dante and having no effect on him. I'm assuming because he is Nephilim.

EDIT: Someone beat me to this point!

Domenic93

but they have to consciously activate their powers like healling

SryCauldon

Considering none of those points are really touched on in the game, Dante Shrugging off bullets but Lillith dying to one normal bullet (which shouldn't happen to a demon) I am going to chalk it up to a plothole.

We can hypothesize as much as we wish about "Oh, because of this maybe this is why it happened". But if in the actual game reasoning is given why regular bullets can kill a demon with ease, but bounce off a nephilim, I shall concede the point.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Ummm, since they are half demon, and half angel, wouldn't their power come from Heaven or Hell? Or rather both, so if they are in the human world wouldn't they have the same vulnerabilities as a demon out of hell? Or a angel out of heaven?

That's assuming that like Demons, Angels need to be one some sort of home ground like Heaven. They might not.

So far all we know is that demon's need Limbo to use magic freely (or a Hell Gate), and Nephilim can operate well enough outside of Limbo as well as within it. And in Dante's case after he gets his Devil Trigger, even moreso, because he can manipulate things to an extent :p

What they inherit from angels might also be why the Nephilim are such a threat to demonkind - they can not only operate without the need of a special dimension like an Angel might be able to, but can also enter the demon's special dimension (Limbo) and take the fight to them. I think I remember hearing something about the reason why Demons did so well is because they had Limbo, which could veil itself over the human realm, and the Angels couldn't set foot there.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Maybe Vergil gun is something like Batman utility belt? I dont get why he is not using throwing knives more, in one cutscene he uses them without any problem.

btmudd28

Well, Nephilim seem to be omnipotent beings having all the benefits of both races, but none of their flaws. They're not immortal though as evidenced by Phineas' anecdote about them being hunted down. How to kill a Nephilim though? Apparently not buy bullets or a sword to the chest! Although Dante got pretty close to killing Vergil, maybe it's just that they are able to withstand more damage than demons, angels, and especially humans.

As far as the ease in which Lilith was disposed of? Chalk it up to plot progression; it happens in movies, TV, pretty much every form of story telling media. It's just one of those things. Try not to look too into it.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Actually, since Phineas mentioned that Nephilim, being able to shift between worlds almost on whim, were highly formidable, and we've seen that the demons need a hell dimension or some layer thereof for their greater powers to operate...that may hold the answer exactly what meant Lilith got screwed like she did. Plus the fact that Dante had trounced her and she likely still recovering didn't help...

Top Bottom