• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Vergil and the gun (Spoilers...maybe a plothole.)

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
but they have to consciously activate their powers like healling

That would be more of a gameplay mechanic than anything, but the point is that he's shrugging off those bullets like their spitballs. It's not a matter of having a healing factor, it's a matter of how much pain and injury something like that inflicts on him, which is more about endurance than it is healing from the damage caused. We see Dante take and survive plenty of hits in cutscenes that are worse than some bullets from five-five-sixers.

And we see Dante and Vergil use their Triggers outside of Limbo, so we know DT isn't dependent on Limbo either.

Considering none of those points are really touched on in the game, Dante Shrugging off bullets but Lillith dying to one normal bullet (which shouldn't happen to a demon) I am going to chalk it up to a plothole.

We can hypothesize as much as we wish about "Oh, because of this maybe this is why it happened". But if in the actual game reasoning is given why regular bullets can kill a demon with ease, but bounce off a nephilim, I shall concede the point.

I gave you that reasoning - Lilith's human body is a vessel that she's tied to, making her as powerless as a human is in the human realm. Even Mundus' vessel "Kyle Ryder" was the same way, the only thing that kept him immortal was because he was connected to the Hell Gate, so his soul wasn't tied to the Kyle Ryder vessel. However, once Vergil closed the Hell Gate,, Mundus lost his connection to it, and it tied his soul to the vessel, which allowed him to be killed in the real world. He was still able to use what magic he had drawn from the Hell Gate prior to its closing (which was a ****-all great amount), which allowed him to turn himself into a steel and concrete colossus, but the human vessel of Kyle Ryder was still in there, and that's ultimately what got killed.

So...soul binding is the reason, I guess? Demons need to bind there soul to a human vessel (unless they have a Hell Gate to connect to) in order to operate in the human realm, but Angels (and most likely Nephilim because of that angelic heritage) don't have that limitation.

As I mentioned, that's most likely why the Nephilim are feared by the demon king; not only can they operate powerfully on their own, but they can also walk right into the demon king's realm and knock on his door.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
He got it from his mammy~
I thought Vergil was daddy's boy and Dante was mamma's boy. So it's a lie?! Dante is not only hated by demons, but he's hated by his parents too! Whatever . . .

Well, then Eva's an ass for giving Vergil a gun like that. This is DmC people! Not some sniping game where one shot is one kill! Eva should have given Vergil a butter knife. Try using that as a plot device ya dick.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
Well, in that cutscene, the bullet looked pretty damn big. So, he could have used some insanely powerful rounds. Also, let's not forget that Vergil taught Kat the basics of demon magic and whatnot, so it's entirely possible that those were anti-demon magic imbued bullets, similar to the spray paint that Kat uses inside The Order's HQ to stop the demons from entering

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I thought Vergil was daddy's boy and Dante was mamma's boy. So it's a lie?! Dante is not only hated by demons, but he's hated by his parents too! Whatever . . .

Well, then Eva's an ass for giving Vergil a gun like that. This is DmC people! Not some sniping game where one shot is one kill! Eva should have given Vergil a butter knife. Try using that as a plot device ya ****.

No no no, Sparda and Eva just realized how much of a weeny Vergil would be, so they gave him a machine gun :p Sparda saw into the future and was like "Aww man, my son is going to wear a fedora...he's going to need this..." *cha-clack!*

I still like that fedora, though :p

EvilX-81

That would be more of a gameplay mechanic than anything, but
the point is that he's shrugging off those bullets like their spitballs. It's not a matter of having a healing factor, it's a matter of how much pain and injury something like that inflicts on him, which is more about endurance than it is healing from the damage caused. We see Dante take and survive plenty of hits in cutscenes that are worse than some bullets from five-five-sixers.

And we see Dante and Vergil use their Triggers outside of Limbo, so we know DT isn't dependent on Limbo either.

I figured by that point Mundus turning into that giant form had caused chaos, basically semi merging the real world with limbo, which was why they were able to use their powers. Otherwise they're just upgraded humans.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, in that cutscene, the bullet looked pretty damn big. So, he could have used some insanely powerful rounds. Also, let's not forget that Vergil taught Kat the basics of demon magic and whatnot, so it's entirely possible that those were anti-demon magic imbued bullets, similar to the spray paint that Kat uses inside The Order's HQ to stop the demons from entering

The power of a Demon Repelling Wall right through your f*cking skull.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I figured by that point Mundus turning into that giant form had caused chaos, basically semi merging the real world with limbo, which was why they were able to use their powers. Otherwise they're just upgraded humans.

I dunno. I figured Mundus' building form was all the power he had from the Hell Gate, because Vergil mentioned "the fabric of Limbo is unraveling" which means Limbo isn't really there anymore.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
No no no, Sparda and Eva just realized how much of a weeny Vergil would be, so they gave him a machine gun :p Sparda saw into the future and was like "Aww man, my son is going to wear a fedora...he's going to need this..." *cha-clack!*

I still like that fedora, though :p
It's a derby hat. Hell, even DMC Vergil had issues with his father.
Sparda_and_Vergil__s_tea_party_by_kartos.jpg

EvilX-81

I dunno. I figured Mundus' building form was all the power he had from the Hell Gate, because Vergil mentioned "the fabric of Limbo is unraveling" which means Limbo isn't really there anymore.

That would make more a conclusion to come to, but then it doesn't really fit with the visual data; of why Dante could *now* use his sword and powers in the real world, and why he had his guns but not sword during the exchange until Mundus limbo'ed them. Maybe Tamem could make clarify in a tweet or something. Limbo's effects are kinda confusing...

AlchemistFromEden

That has never been the case in any of the previous DMC titles, Dante taking a bullet to the head and shrugging it off for instance, and being able to do the same in a fight in game.

Or is this another change by the reboot?
no dante actually takes fire during the shootout, you can see the bullets hitting him and blood coming out

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That would make more a conclusion to come to, but then it doesn't really fit with the visual data; of why Dante could *now* use his sword and powers in the real world, and why he had his guns but not sword during the exchange until Mundus limbo'ed them. Maybe Tamem could make clarify in a tweet or something. Limbo's effects are kinda confusing...

Dante was also more powerful at the end than he was during The Trade. We wondered why Vergil had the Yamato out at all times while Dante always brought out Rebellion in Limbo, but at the end of the game Dante gets his white hair and is able to spawn Rebellion at will, outside of Limbo.

So either Dante was to the point where he was powerful enough to be like Vergil, and the white hair sorta "seals the deal," or Dante could always spawn Rebellion whenever he wanted it, but just never had it out in public because a dude with a claymore on his back walking down the street is a little too conspicuous :p

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
So either Dante was to the point where he was powerful enough to be like Vergil, and the white hair sorta "seals the deal," or Dante could always spawn Rebellion whenever he wanted it, but just never had it out in public because a dude with a claymore on his back walking down the street is a little too conspicuous :p

Whereas Vergil hobnobbing about in public with a samurai sword is perfectly acceptable. Of course it could be mistaken for a cane at a distance, but I'm pretty sure some eyebrows would be raised. Then again, looking sharp and having a distinct appearance is crucial to keeping a low profile as the most wanted person on the planet.

The power of a Demon Repelling Wall right through your f*cking skull.

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded packing a few of those myself...

You have to admit, the notion that human vessels are as vulnerable as normal people in Reality does deflate a lot of the threat in a demonic Overlord. Are you seriously telling me that all Vergil really needed to do to deal with Lillith is march some impressionable kid into her club with a bomb vest and give her a cuddle?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Whereas Vergil hobnobbing about in public with a samurai sword is perfectly acceptable. Of course it could be mistaken for a cane at a distance, but I'm pretty sure some eyebrows would be raised. Then again, looking sharp and having a distinct appearance is crucial to keeping a low profile as the most wanted person on the planet.

No one knew of Vergil's existence though, so...

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded packing a few of those myself...

You have to admit, the notion that human vessels are as vulnerable as normal people in Reality does deflate a lot of the threat in a demonic Overlord. Are you seriously telling me that all Vergil really needed to do to deal with Lillith is march some impressionable kid into her club with a bomb vest and give her a cuddle?

He could have, but Vergil didn't know about Lilith carrying Mundus demon spawn until Dante told him, and when he learned of it, he had to go along with Dante's plan of not killing Lilith at the time.

And in the end, Mundus was still immortal thanks to the Hell Gate, so a demonic overlord is still quite a threat. What if Hitler was immortal, yah?

I gotta say dude, for someone who harbors so much malcontent for the game, you don't seem to have paid a lot of attention to it :p

AlchemistFromEden

But cops cant even hit Kat while she is in middle, how i said just like Batman utility belt.
they were aiming at the two people who were gunning them down, and even then kat almost got hit when the bullets starting getting close to her general location which is why dante chose to basically say "**** it i'm going to get kat" and start running towards her

Martius

SSSmokin!
And in the end, Mundus was still immortal thanks to the Hell Gate, so a demonic overlord is still quite a threat. What if Hitler was immortal, yah?
Too bad he was so stupid to jump on Dante and fall outisde instead at least trying to kill Dante when he was near thing which grants im immorality.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Too bad he was so stupid to jump on Dante and fall outisde instead at least trying to kill Dante when he was near thing which grants im immorality.

As long as the hell gate isn't shut down, it still gives him power of immortality no matter how far he is from it. Mundus clearly knows he is more superior to dante and he didn't even know that Vergil is a nephilim so he is clearly confident and was blinded by rage of what dante did to his child, so of course he would attack the **** out of the guy.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

He was still immortal that entire time they were falling outside, and he didn't know Vergil was there with the means to close the Hell Gate.

It's not a matter of Mundus being near the Hell Gate to retain his immortality, it was about severing the link and closing it. They constantly talked about "getting him away from the Hell Gate" because he wasn't going to let someone close it otherwise.

Top Bottom