• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unknown is the fate of DmC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ji-high

Are we part of the same fanbase here? Did you not hear about Capcom saying more DMC in 2015? Well the DE and DMC4: SE are it, it also lines up with what they said about keeping both options open.

Last thing I heard Capcom state that was closest to DmC2 happening was Capcom's disappointment with DmC's sales, the multiple lowerings of sales expectations, the blame on outsourcing, failure to generate interest in eastern audiences and that any game that sells less than 2 million won't get a sequel.
Sure sounds like there's a lot of interest in DmC.

While with DMC on the other hand we have the DMC4:SE hype dominating DmC via DmC's very own marketing video, DMC is on the good side of the 2 mill or nothing policy and the director wants to make another DMC game.
Yeah no one wants DMC back at all.

DmC is done, just let it go, move on and stop torturing yourselves.
Nobody cares about your little 'analysis'.

Stop torturing yourself and let us do whatever the hell we want.

Jesus.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
As much as I want both DmC and DMC to continue, and I would look forward to both DmC2 and DMC5, I have to admit that @xMobilemux definitely has a point.
Between the two sagas, DmC has a lot of factors that point to the possibility it won't get a sequel.
But hope is hope, we gamers have already seen franchises we thought dead and gone, but they continued. Time will tell.

sssensational

What are you gonna do with all that power?
Supporter 2014
As much as I want both DmC and DMC to continue, and I would look forward to both DmC2 and DMC5, I have to admit that @xMobilemux definitely has a point.
Between the two sagas, DmC has a lot of factors that point to the possibility it won't get a sequel.
But hope is hope, we gamers have already seen franchises we thought dead and gone, but they continued. Time will tell.

It's not so much the statement that person said that bothered me, it's the way they said it.

tumblr_inline_nisfsivbfw1qjh2qr.gif

I love speculating about the future of DmC because I think it has a lot left to offer and a lot that's unexplored, but I'm not gonna drop dead to the floor if it doesn't get a sequel.

If the person was like "I don't believe that DmC is going to get a sequel", I'd be like "okay, I see your point".

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I understand some people want DmC2, so if people get it, it's nice for them, but if capcom would choose between DMC and DmC, I prefer DMC without second thought. Maybe capcom should sell DmC trademark without Devil may cry in it to NT, and keep doing DMC as separate franchise, like Parasite eve lost it's name in third part, due to lack of trademark accesability

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Why does it seem like some people here honestly and truly believe the latest game isn't a Devil May Cry game or part of the franchise?

Since when? You can't "sell off DmC". It's all Devil May Cry.

And there was no controversy surrounding the name of the 3rd installment of the Parasite Eve series. It is a spinoff and indirect sequel to the first two games. It's still all under the same trademark.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

True, but there's a way you say things and being a giant D-bag isn't the best way to put a point across.

The Final Offer

In actuality, DmC DE existence proves that NT and Capcom are still highly interested in the sequel. Re-releasing a game that sold under 2 million is not a strong sign that no one is interested in the sequel. Alot of negative people have claimed that the Definitive edition was never going to come out and there it is.

In short, stop pretending like you care about the well being of other gamers. We know you're just here to troll.

What you should be saying is that DMC5 has little to no chance of ever resurfacing. How long has it been again? Yeah, thought so. Oh the original in the series is getting a special edition and we should rejoice because that could mean DMC5 is on the way? Heh.

Also, if you're firm believer that neither game is ever going to have a sequel come out then why are you in any thread that involves DmC or DMC? Rhetorical, it's either you're hoping or you're trolling.

DmC 2 is still a possibility and DMC5 is still a possibility.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I would like to point out that if DmC: DE sells at least 2 million copies then, by Capcom's standard's, it would qualify for a sequel. :angel:

Someone contact Bill Gates and ask him if he'd be willing to buy a bunch of copies! :eek:
Well, if the Definitive Edition actually accumulates a decent sales number, considering it is also a re-release, that would add to the first edition's sales would it not? It's the same game. So I would assume.

The game did break a million about a couple months after release which is typically the standard for a Devil May Cry title. It's just not been able to gradually increase like DMC 4 did.

As of right now, DmC stands as the 4th best selling Devil May Cry title with DMC 3 as the worst selling.
People seem to overestimate the appeal of the Devil May Cry franchise here. As even the best selling title (DMC4) only saw 2.9 million in its lifetime. It took a month to break a million and other games can break triple it's lifetime amount in a single night.

Unfortunately, Devil May Cry just isn't that popular anymore and can't seem to garner many new fans. Most of its fans now are players who for the most part are hardcore players that have been familiar with this franchise for quite some time.

Hypothetically, if DMC 5 came out in the place of DmC, would it have sold significantly more than DmC? Fan backlash really made it apparent they were condemning the reboot so that dent is shown in sales, but I imagine just a traditional DMC wouldn't have saw that much more over the reboot. Because it would have been coming out nearly 5 years after DMC 4 ,and like I said, Devil May Cry isn't doing a good job garnering new fans which is needed if the series hopes to survive in the long term.

Let's face uncomfortable facts here and I think Yatzee put it best; DMC 4 kinda shows the series was already being pushed through the ringer, existing to only appeal to the fanboys and girls who write erotic fanfiction and smell like old meat.

DMC 4 is not very welcoming when you look at it. It's almost exclusive just for people who give a sh!t about Devil May Cry. Sure as hell kinda plays out like a badly written fanfiction.

A lot of contemporary hack n slash fans have had their attention diverted to other, bigger titles. But also the hack n slash genre is an ailing one as is.

As much as I love it, Devil May Cry is a series that has for a while now had one foot in the grave. The reboot was considered to grab new fans, and it just didn't do well in that regard. Now, it's a franchise trying so hard to stay afloat with only a ever slimming niche audience acting as the floaties. Devil May Cry is becoming a forgotten once king of hack n slashers.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm always going to be a fan regardless.

Note: And before anyone says this crap again, the initial sales figures were also ridiculous to a point that no Devil May Cry game would have met such a amount.

Last edited:

Dominus

In actuality, DmC DE existence proves that NT and Capcom are still highly interested in the sequel. Re-releasing a game that sold under 2 million is not a strong sign that no one is interested in the sequel. Alot of negative people have claimed that the Definitive edition was never going to come out and there it is.

In short, stop pretending like you care about the well being of other gamers. We know you're just here to troll.

What you should be saying is that DMC5 has little to no chance of ever resurfacing. How long has it been again? Yeah, thought so. Oh the original in the series is getting a special edition and we should rejoice because that could mean DMC5 is on the way? Heh.

Also, if you're firm believer that neither game is ever going to have a sequel come out then why are you in any thread that involves DmC or DMC? Rhetorical, it's either you're hoping or you're trolling.

DmC 2 is still a possibility and DMC5 is still a possibility.
It's more odd giving a 7 year old game a special edition than it is porting your latest series entry to next gen. I assume dmc:de wasn't too difficult to port because UT engine is highly portable, not to mention most of the updates were gameplay tweaks and the incorporation of existing pc mods and dlc. The lock on and vergil bloody palace additions are new, and must style mode plus some other modes as well... I think the new additional modes wouldn't require too much extra programming. Also the release order is telling as well, but I do think NT is an option Capcom will at least consider revisiting at some point. Because NT will always be looking for dev work from publishers.

And I wish people would quit saying dmc3 was the worst selling in the series. If you add vanilla dmc3 sales and the special edition it is around the 2nd to 3rd best selling entry.

Goldsickle

And I wish people would quit saying dmc3 was the worst selling in the series. If you add vanilla dmc3 sales and the special edition it is around the 2nd to 3rd best selling entry.
Completely depends on criteria.

Some sites or publications will mix ports and special editions together.
But for business and investor standards, it's normally per-stock keeping unit (which is how DMC3 is determined as the "lowest-selling" in this case).

If you're just having a non-serious discussion, you can make up any rule you want.
But if we're talking about industry standards, then it's dictated by certain guidelines.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was just relaying information I found from Capcom's archives and multiple other sources around the net. Do Capcom themselves count DMC Special Edition as an entirely separate entry? How much did it sell individually then? I only found sale estimates from DMC 3 from Capcom.Co LTD.

We're only allowed to count DmC rerererereleases together. Rest is separate games ;)
Nobody said that.

Hush.

Now shoo.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Final Offer

It's more odd giving a 7 year old game a special edition than it is porting your latest series entry to next gen. I assume dmc:de wasn't too difficult to port because UT engine is highly portable, not to mention most of the updates were gameplay tweaks and the incorporation of existing pc mods and dlc. The lock on and vergil bloody palace additions are new, and must style mode plus some other modes as well... I think the new additional modes wouldn't require too much extra programming. Also the release order is telling as well, but I do think NT is an option Capcom will at least consider revisiting at some point. Because NT will always be looking for dev work from publishers.

So what you're saying is, the Definitive Edition of DmC will add on to the sales of DmC? Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom