• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Calling all writers! Do you have a writerly pet peeve that's just annoying the heck out of you? Is there a particular thing you've been told about your craft that always gets you down? Have you had an experience with a reviewer who was, most likely, really a demon in disguise? Don't let it get you down any longer, with this nifty thread! Unload all that anger here, in a safe, writer friendly environment!

Please note: rants should be about writing (actually, artists of any kind can rant here) only. Nothing else. Please be supportive. We're all in the same boat. We all need to get this stuff off our chest, so don't abuse the thread to hurt people's feeling. If you have an issue with someone, take it to PMs. (You don't have to agree with everyone, just be polite if you do come to a disagreement.)
(I hope this is the right board for this.)

---

Getting sick of this current trend in writers thinking that a story is only good if they turn it into a big smut fest. Honestly, there are plenty of writers who can do smut well, so smut's definitely not the problem. The problem is when writers set up a story to be one way (say the two main characters completely and utterly loathe each other) and then ruin it with random smut that doesn't fit in anywhere. I just read a fic that was actually really good, and then, out of nowhere, random smut that destroyed every trace of characterization for the characters. And, sadly enough, I see this happening more and more. >_< It's so frustrating.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
(I literally typed this up when you first told me you were thinking of making this thread). xD

People that tell me how my character should be reacting; for example, telling me Gwen should react with more fear, and less hostility at the start of WoN (not to be confused with people telling me she's handling it well; both those comments, and the advice to draw out her resistance a bit more are very much valued). Um, excuse me, but the last I checked she is my character, so I get final say in how she reacts. Some people get defensive when they're scared, and Gwen is one of them. Do not presume to tell me how she "should" be acting, based on how you would react in her situation. Everyone handles stressful and frightening situations differently, so get over the fact that she's not acting the way you would write her; you want to write a situation like that and have a character react the way you would? Go for it. But do not--do not--tell me how to write my character. I know her (and all my others) better than anyone.

People that tell you your story isn't much different from one they've read (one you haven't), then proceed to tell you to read said story so you can see how the author handled similar conflict between characters--thereby telling you to handle the conflicting personalities in your story the same way. Yes, I will likely look into the series they spoke of, but the last effing thing I want is people telling me, "you're story is so much like this one, so therefore, you should make it a goddamn carbon copy". No. Thanks.

Other writers, who whether they've been writing longer than you or not (more often than not, there's no way of truly knowing) who act as if they're superior--even though they're on their third or fourth draft, and it's riddled with more grammatical errors than your first. >.> News flash; you are not superior; we are all learning, and until you're published, you can get off your damn high horse. Don't treat me like I'm lesser, just because I'm a couple steps behind you.

...I feel much better. :happy:

Last edited:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
One thing that bothered me about one particular writer's forum I am on (but don't visit too often) is the attitude you'll encounter in the air in many of these places (sometimes among the published) that younger writers aren't worth **** and you probably shouldn't be bothering unless you're middle aged or older. I later found out it's a general kind of discrimination you'll get as a writer if you intend to publish conventionally, but what bothered me most was that it was coming from other writers.

I can't tell the age of a writer just by reading their work and knowing nothing about them, so I don't know where they get off thinking that age = quality. Some of my favorite writers died young and wrote as well as others, if not better. And surely the quality of the writing should speak for itself.

Artistically, that "your work reminds me of ___________" is a pretty pointless and inane comment to leave an artist. What exactly can I take away from that? Great, my art reminded you of someone else. Unfortunately it's like a knee-jerk reaction, and very common. People try to define what they are seeing by some earlier established idea or hook.

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I haven't officially posted this anywhere. But I've had my had my friends tell me my story's like Twilight, Angel, or The Originals. Because my main protagonist is a dhampir, and has a vampire father.

For starters, stories of dhampirs have been around for centuries.
Secondly in those cases, the births were miracles. In my story, dhampir births, are still extremely rare (most of the time the children are stillborn) but not unheard of.
Thirdly, in those cases, the children were the offspring of the main character(s) and serves as a form of motivation/plot-device. My character IS the protagonist, if anything the parents are plot-devices in his back story
Fourth, my character's a dhampir (half human/half-vampire), human mom and vampire dad. Twilight doesn't have vampires (Nope), in Angel both the parents were vampires, and in The Oirginals the mom was a werewolf while the dad was an original-vampire/werewolf hybrid (BTW, normally I hated the vampire/werewolf mixes in Underworld. This shows version's actually not bad.)
And finally....I'm just p.o.ed to be compared to Twilight.....

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
I haven't officially posted this anywhere. But I've had my had my friends tell me my story's like Twilight, Angel, or The Originals. Because my main protagonist is a dhampir, and has a vampire father.

For starters, stories of dhampirs have been around for centuries.
Secondly in those cases, the births were miracles. In my story, dhampir births, are still extremely rare (most of the time the children are stillborn) but not unheard of.
Thirdly, in those cases, the children were the offspring of the main character(s) and serves as a form of motivation/plot-device. My character IS the protagonist, if anything the parents are plot-devices in his back story
Fourth, my character's a dhampir (half human/half-vampire), human mom and vampire dad. Twilight doesn't have vampires (Nope), in Angel both the parents were vampires, and in The Oirginals the mom was a werewolf while the dad was an original-vampire/werewolf hybrid (BTW, normally I hated the vampire/werewolf mixes in Underworld. This shows version's actually not bad.)
And finally....I'm just p.o.ed to be compared to Twilight.....

I'd like to read your story. +_+ I don't think I've read a story about dhampire yet.

Rant: I hate it when I'm writing a fantasy story and someone tells me "that can't happen it's not realistic!" I'm writing a fantasy story set in an original world were magic is the norm......

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Originally I had this in the ranting thread, then realized it would be better suited here.

So, I don't know what compelled me to check now, rather than back when it was said; but, I had someone correct me on the use of "coy". Now, I'm well aware that it means shy, but like pretty much every other damn word in the English language, it does have another meaning--and the context I was using it in was just that.

This, namely, taken from Merriam Webster (bolded parts show my usage)

"Showing reluctance to make a definite commitment <a coy response> "

On dictionary.com:

1. artfully or affectedly shy or reserved; slyly hesitant; coquettish.

2. shy; modest.

3. showing reluctance, especially when insincere or affected, to reveal one's plans or opinions, make a commitment, or take a stand.

(Seriously, I effing hate when people make me second-guess my grasp of the English language--especially when I wind up changing the dialogue because of it. It doesn't matter that the new dialogue works; it's the principle of the thing).

In sum? If someone is going to correct my use of a certain word, they'd best be sure they know all of its meanings too, instead of talking to me like I'm an errant child. :/

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I don't understand when people are a-holes about other peoples stories. I just saw a guy complaining about a fanfic being too close to the original's source material when the author's note stated it was going to slowly break away from the original, the guy then went on to, very rudely, say the writer needed to go look at the his story to "get an idea how to write fanfiction better". Funnily enough, the guy who was complaining's fic is so far away from the original material that it made no sense and didn't even seem like a fanfic. :/ If you're going to critique someone and act holier than thou about your own writing, then make sure you can back that up and not look like a total jerk. :/

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
This literally just happened an hour ago:

Someone I don't talk to very often (if I can bloody well help it) was asking me about my writing. Then they dove right into, "I would really love if you would write this story for me". First of all, that by itself is off-putting; no writer likes to be told what to write--it defeats the whole purpose. Now, tack this part on: I tell said person (in my attempt at being diplomatic) it would be a long while, since when I finish this book, I plan to write two more--as its intended to be a trilogy--and they say, "Oh, that's too bad, then."

Wtf?! Too bad for you, maybe! I'm absolutely effing thrilled to be working on my story. Don't act as if what I've been working on is in the way of what you want to see in the publishing world. You want it so goddamn badly, do it yourself; no one else is going to do it for you.

Just...ugh! >.<

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Teachers've always told me I've got a natural talent for writing, but I've always told them that I don't like writing. I am still livid for that time my teacher at middle school basically forced me to attend a creative narrative course against my will. Obviously I quit after barely a week, but F you teacher, that course was optional and you had no right to force me!

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So, writing about angels (in a fantasy setting) being messengers for a higher being is apparently blasphemous because the people go to a specific place to send their messages to the angels. NOT worship the angels. NOT like the angels are God since then people wouldn't need to GO to a SPECIFIC place to SEND their MESSAGES, they'd just be talking to angels all the time anywhere, right?

But, hey, look, how about this story that's all about a rebellious girl who ends up sucked into a hellhole, finally escapes it with the help of her angel guide, and then sets out to defeat all the demons who swarm the earth? Nah, that's okay. Never mind that you could also call it blasphemous as the girl is a parallel for Jesus and Him descending into hell, defeating death and then saving the world, kind of thing, right?

Oh, and then there's this other story about how human DNA is altered with fallen angel genetics hence a hybrid species is created, and all the havoc that comes with it. Nope, that's okay, too. Nevermind that IT WAS AN ACTUAL THING in the Bible and that it absolutely disgusted God.

Hypocrites for the win, right?

BAH.
I'ma write what I wanna write and how I wanna write.
You don't like it, then DON'T READ IT.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Just thought of another one. It's something you usually see on writing pages, or on the blogs of people who give writerly advice--though thankfully a lot of them don't spout this nonsense.

The advice is usually something along the lines of: "A real writer knows when to give up on a project, and move onto something else."

No. Nope. Niet. Nuh-uh.

If a writer chooses to quit on a particular writing project because it no longer interests them, fine. But to be told that the thing you've been slaving away at isn't worth your time, and that you should move on to something guaranteed to succeed?

Screw that.

You, and you alone, decide whether the story you're working on is worth the time and effort; to hell with what's popular--do what makes you happy.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Well i remember to get 3 troll reviews when i started mine sharing of FanFics on FF.net ( those ones are trying to discourage me from writing and its been from Anons and that ended in mine decision of blocking rights to annon comments on site as I grow sick with like that reviews). Also well now sometimes i get FanFic writers block or ideas that I can't pursue to write since i have 3 and more stories to finish and new plots somehow shows itselfs.

BTW, i have an new story on sight that I call " You can't hide from me" but really im unsure if i would publish it to FF.net since Im writing it as preview chapter and well that one will include summoning ritual in it.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
56923091.jpg

This is what I'm dreading. So so so much.

+Are you kidding me? This is not a race. I don't care if he gets published before I do. You know I crack under pressure. You know I'm not competitive. Urging me to get my stuff in before he does is not motivating at all, if anything it just stilts my drive.
Let's not forget here that the whole publishing goal is everybody else's goal.
The only goal I have, writing-wise, is to write every day. Not get published. Not get money. I dread the whole idea. I'm not good at talking to people. I'm not good at having the spotlight on me. If nobody ever sees my face, I'd be happy. I don't do well with other people. So no, getting published really isn't a dream of mine, but I serve to please, so if you want me to try, I'll try. If I don't get it, YAY! If I do? Well....let's not think about that.
But no.
This is not a race. Writing doesn't work that way, love.

{edit}
When you get on a roll with writing and your muse keeps going:
Dude-Wheres-My-Car-And-Then.jpg

Everyone knows that scene from Dude Where's My Car, right?
It's amazing when you have the answer to that question repeatedly, but very unnerving when you start to wonder when you're going to run out of answers.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I've been having trouble with setting aside time to write so any tips?

I guess this would greatly depend on what your schedule consists of. ^^; I'm guessing a hectic work schedule comes into the mix (one that isn't consistent). In which case, if you can make time--even 20 minutes a day--before or after work to write, that goes a lot further than not getting in any writing time at all. If you find writing and some leisurely past-times vying for the same time slot, you can alternate between them from one day to the next, or allow your leisurely time to be a reward for writing you got done, earlier. :)

Top Bottom