• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Ugh, I hate when people demand to see my writing after I've said "no". And then they try and guilt trip me into posting it. I said no cuz I'm scared you'll judge me. Guilt tripping me when I've told you I don't feel comfortable doing it isn't gonna make me feel more comfortable. I don't care if your forum is the right place for it, I just...ugh. I don't want to deal with judgmental a-holes.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Okay, so let me get this straight. Not only is that talentless hack releasing a gender-swapped "reimagining" of her book, which somehow portrays more sexist stereotypes than the original, but she's expecting money for this?

Worse still, the publishers are on board with this crap--what in the actual hell are they thinking?

Answer: they aren't. All they see are dollar signs.

It's almost word for word the same garbage. I just...who will actually be stupid enough to pay $15 for the same book, supposedly "reimagined"?

Who am I kidding? The world's got more than its fair share of suckers. :meh:

Link for those who are curious: http://jezebel.com/stephenie-meyer-is-not-your-friend-and-you-shouldnt-buy-1735683393

When even fans are ticked off, you know there's something wrong...

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Oh my mind keeps coming up with ideas faster than I can write them. Damn my imagination! Oh well. >.> I just need to start writing. I even have my hubby proofreading my stories. +_+ I just need to push the procrastination fairy away and JUST DO EEEEEEETTTT! φ( ̄¬ ̄ヾ) *draws boobs* Hehe I'm such a baka.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
When you're revising the same piece for the fourth time and catch all the little bastards that slipped past you the first three times.
post-49037-avengers-hulk-smash-gif-gfycat-T5ao.gif

In the words of Vergil: BE GONE!!

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
That awkward moment when you're torn between flattery that someone has referred to your character as their "so-and-so" (lol, fangirls!) and thinking, "your so-and-so? What d'ya mean, your so-and-so?" :laugh:

The flattery outweighs the weird possessiveness, thankfully. Still, someone else please tell me I'm not the only writer who's had that knee-jerk feeling when it comes to their characters? ._.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
That awkward moment when you're torn between flattery that someone has referred to your character as their "so-and-so" (lol, fangirls!) and thinking, "your so-and-so? What d'ya mean, your so-and-so?" :laugh:

The flattery outweighs the weird possessiveness, thankfully. Still, someone else please tell me I'm not the only writer who's had that knee-jerk feeling when it comes to their characters? ._.

I do this all the time. Especially when people start running wild ideas of what my characters should be doing.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I do this all the time. Especially when people start running wild ideas of what my characters should be doing.

Thank gods it isn't just me, then. -Possessive growling- the day people start telling me what to do with my characters is the day heads will start rolling.

Well, not really. I'll probably flat out ignore them or give them a very curt, "As this is my character, I decide what he/she does." speech. But I'll probably grumble about it a lot on my own. :laugh:

I'm guessing it's happened to you a lot? O_O

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Thank gods it isn't just me, then. -Possessive growling- the day people start telling me what to do with my characters is the day heads will start rolling.

Well, not really. I'll probably flat out ignore them or give them a very curt, "As this is my character, I decide what he/she does." speech. But I'll probably grumble about it a lot on my own. :laugh:

I'm guessing it's happened to you a lot? O_O

I wouldn't blame you if you did. It's really rude when people do it.

Heh, yeah, I've been getting that for a long while. Namely when I RP with my characters. then I get so many people going "oh, you should make so and so do this, this, and this and do it now". And I'm just like "It's my character, flock off!" >_< Ugh. I'd understand if they were trying to offer a friendly suggestion or something, but not when they're just demanding you do things their way. :S

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I wouldn't blame you if you did. It's really rude when people do it.

Heh, yeah, I've been getting that for a long while. Namely when I RP with my characters. then I get so many people going "oh, you should make so and so do this, this, and this and do it now". And I'm just like "It's my character, flock off!" >_< Ugh. I'd understand if they were trying to offer a friendly suggestion or something, but not when they're just demanding you do things their way. :S

Oh gods, those types. I came across one or two of them on that one RP site, before I decided to say "screw it" and deleted my account. >.>

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Okay, so let me get this straight. Not only is that talentless hack releasing a gender-swapped "reimagining" of her book, which somehow portrays more sexist stereotypes than the original, but she's expecting money for this?

Worse still, the publishers are on board with this crap--what in the actual hell are they thinking?

Answer: they aren't. All they see are dollar signs.

It's almost word for word the same garbage. I just...who will actually be stupid enough to pay $15 for the same book, supposedly "reimagined"?

Who am I kidding? The world's got more than its fair share of suckers. :meh:

Link for those who are curious: http://jezebel.com/stephenie-meyer-is-not-your-friend-and-you-shouldnt-buy-1735683393

When even fans are ticked off, you know there's something wrong...

I don't get it. If she writes a gender-swapped version then what do the people of Jezebel expect by that, exactly, for it not to be 'dripping with sexism'? If she writes them as literally the same just with different names and genders they moaned about it, but if she changes their roles because of the gender then that is sexist?

I mean one reader complains:
I can barely get through it, because it’s the SAME story, and I keep getting the characters mixed up in my head because, for example, now Beau is saying the EXACT same things that Bella did, and Edythe is saying the same things Edward did

So ignoring gendered assumptions is... boring and samey, but if she does shove in gender assumptions, she's somehow not giving the audience what it is they wanted if they were looking forward to reading a gender swap?

That's a real head-scratcher. People tend to read gender swaps - far as I know - because they too buy in to a certain amount of gender assumption and are expecting to see it in the character, even if it's supposed to be "a new take" on an existing character. Otherwise why bother reading a gender swap at all? Or if they were expecting a female character to behave like a stereotypical male and vice versa, then.... that too is 'sexist'? Or if they were expecting to read a gender swap that confirmed their own particular bias about genders and how they should be, well, eyeroll... they should probably be writing their own manifesto. Might as well not bother with the gender hook in there at all and just write some new characters.

I see a legit complaint if all she's done is change names and try to sell the exact same story though. What a hack.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
@Ieyasu One of the examples I can think of that continue on with the sexism involves how, when the character was male (Billy), he fixed the truck himself, yet when changed to a female (Bonnie), she had work done to the truck. I get that in general, a lot of women don't work on their own vehicles, but if a woman goes out of her way to buy an old chevy like that, she probably knows her way around an engine block. I just find it stupid that Meyers continued to perpetuate those stereotypes.

That aside, I thought the series was awful to begin with, and I find it bullcrap that she's expecting $15 for a book that is exactly the same **** she pumped out the first time.

Last edited:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Ah I see. Given that the Twilight books seem to have some of that in already, I wouldn't expect too much from Meyer. One of the biggest complaints I hear is how creepy and controlling the male lead is over the female lead (who also seems to want him doing it) that I guess this is what her tack is and what her fans expect.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Ieyasu One of the examples I can think of that continue on with the sexism involves how, when the character was male (Billy), he fixed the truck himself, yet when changed to a female (Bonnie), she had work done to the truck. I get that in general, a lot of women don't work on their own vehicles, but if a woman goes out of her way to buy an old chevy like that, she probably knows her way around an engine block. I just find it stupid that Meyers continued to perpetuate those stereotypes.

That aside, I thought the series was awful to begin with, and I find it bullcrap that she's expecting $15 for a book that is exactly the same **** she pumped out the first time.
In theory I should have known who you meant when you first said 'talentless', but there are a couple of those out there in the world so wasn't sure.

That aside.
HA.
HA HA HA HA.
kansasmelting.gif

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
So this just happened...and yes, I'm the first and third post.

1623288_10153361074583500_2750030143778621498_n.jpg

Yeah, Strawman arguments really **** me off...

Edit: I've considered deleting it just to avoid more B.S., but it turns out while comments are pending, you can't. ._. Oops...

Oh, well. I stand by what I said.

Last edited:

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
So this just happened...and yes, I'm the first and third post.

1623288_10153361074583500_2750030143778621498_n.jpg

Yeah, Strawman arguments really **** me off...

Edit: I've considered deleting it just to avoid more B.S., but it turns out while comments are pending, you can't. ._. Oops...

Oh, well. I stand by what I said.

lol Some people. If shes re-releasing Twilight word for word but just changing the names around...how is that for the fans? There is nothing new nor exciting about that. I think is she is running out of ideas and is falling back on the cash cow that is Twilight. *sigh* Still don't know how she became so popular. (¬з¬) Guess I gotta step up my game. lol

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think is she is running out of ideas and is falling back on the cash cow that is Twilight
She's gotta pay for her new Porsche somehow. And I believe she meant it when she said it's for the fans. I've they're gullible enough to think Twilight is a love story, they're dumb enough to fall for this pile of poop, too.
On the lighter side of things, I wonder how many times Edward will now be referred to as a she and Bella as a he? We know her editors never even touched her manuscript, it's totally possible. XD

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
FLYING FART SUCKERS!
All day. ALL FRIGGIN DAY YOU'RE NAGGING AT ME LIKE
meatloaf.gif

And now.
Now that I can finally sit down, breathe, and think, with no disruption. NOW. I'm sitting here waiting.
AND you've shut up.
But you know what, that's okay, Mix. I see how it is.
I see how it is.
126851_mn66com.gif

*kicks muse*

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
I want to write about vampires , but, at the same time don't. Since my vampires are going to be more old school or at least more like the folklore vampires. I don't know I might just stick to my supernatural detective stories. Can put vampires in that. lol

Top Bottom