• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Oh grief, what year were fluorescents available for commercial use?
FFS!
lTsAZ7s.gif

The pain. I don't think I'm going to be doing any more historical fiction after this.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Erm... about the ah Smut thing? the fic I'm currently making has one scene but eh it's used as plot advancement

I don't mean smut in general's bad. =) There's nothing wrong with a smut scene and some of my favorite fics (that I've both read and wrote) have smut and it works for me. The problem, to me, is not the smut but the way it's used. There's a lot of writers who have no clue what to do with their plot so they just tack on random smut for no reason other than "because I can". They don't let it come into the story naturally. =) That's my issue with it. If it's well written and it flows with the story and it works between the characters, then bring on the smut...erm...as long as it doesn't take over the plot (when the writer's not writing a romance).

LuciferHades

Let's rock,babes!!
I don't mean smut in general's bad. =) There's nothing wrong with a smut scene and some of my favorite fics (that I've both read and wrote) have smut and it works for me. The problem, to me, is not the smut but the way it's used. There's a lot of writers who have no clue what to do with their plot so they just tack on random smut for no reason other than "because I can". They don't let it come into the story naturally. =) That's my issue with it. If it's well written and it flows with the story and it works between the characters, then bring on the smut...erm...as long as it doesn't take over the plot (when the writer's not writing a romance).
Alright,well, it isn't gonna happen with my fanfic until later, I'm wanting to set the mood right for Dante and Gijinka Amaterasu,

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Alright,well, it isn't gonna happen with my fanfic until later, I'm wanting to set the mood right for Dante and Gijinka Amaterasu,

I've been seeing artwork of them together on DA--not sexually, but really cute stuff. ^^ I'm sure you'll pull it off really well.

Current Writerly Rant: Dammit, muses! No, we cannot start on Book Three yet--we're not even halfway through Two! I need to finish the first draft before that happens, otherwise I'm likely to mess up something very important.

Stop it. >.<

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Funny how my muse evades my advances and when I sit down to write there's nothing. As quiet and empty and blank as the page before me for days on end.
Then when I'm browsing pinterest for writerly tips, I come across a pin that states:
KNOW YOUR CHARACTER DEEPLY IN ONE STEP - THE BACKDOOR.
And now my muse won't stop dragging my mind through the dirt. He thinks it's hilarious and I'm just like, meh.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I hate when I wanna write in a more mature manner, but yet I always find myself writing something as if it were an anime or manga title. Whether using big words or not, I still find my set up being too anime like and it takes away from the direction I want to take my story.

However I also realize that maybe I think it's too anime like because it's me reading it, and anime has had a big impression on me, that now when I try to write away from it, I only end up bringing myself closer to it. I dunno.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
So you're condemning a character for being an addict...while working on a character that takes steroids recreationally? Don't you think that's kinda hypocritical? Besides, you know nothing about said addict except what I've mentioned off-handedly. Maybe you should try reading what I'm writing before getting so judgmental. :/

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Sometimes I get the impression my mind is trying to sabotage me. Still a little less than half of FotS to go, and my thoughts keep flitting to planning out the third book, getting more outlined for the first of however many prequels, and of course, outlining one of those other prequels (focusing on two specific character's meeting, and what led to their hatred of one another).

I really need to learn to juggle these projects--otherwise I'm going to drive myself insane with the want of doing them. :facepalm:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
The only story out there that has never been told before is your life story.
Elvis Presley went from being born a twin to dying on the toilet from an OD. If you'd been reading his story, you wouldn't expect that twist ending. etc.
Everything else has already been done in some shape and form, every epic tale or horror series or non-fictional work, has. been. done. before.
It's how you write it that matters.
Own that darn cliché.
Just don't bring sparkles into the mix.

This is what I keep telling myself every time I connect a movie or book to my own work.
Because IT SUCKS when you see something out there in the public eye that's like just a teeny weeny bit or maybe like a lot like a carbon copy alternate universe version of your own novel you've written a decade ago/been working on that make you jump up, point your finger and demand:
12397-cm12397050046d2927e58gif-Xj14.gif

Top Bottom