• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Snyder Cut

berto

I Saw the Devil
So it's a thing now.
While I was hoping for it I understood the situation and why it was a logistical impossibility. In this day of streaming services doing what the studios won't, though, the impossible is no longer so. The question now becomes will it be good? Will it be better? Will it be worth it? I loved MoS and BvS. Yeah, I'm one of the 3 people who loved those movies and own them. I am all but trembling to see this, but I can also see that things aren't always what we'd hope they are and this is possibly as bad as it could be great. I want this to be great but I am fully aware that it could be on the same level of the theatrical release.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm sick of hearing about it but I'm curious as to whats actually in it.

I honestly don't think it will be worth all the wait and the campaigning. Everyone already decided how they were gonna view Snyder's tenure so I fear its a lost cause.

Goldsickle

There was already a trailer for this:

It's an April Fool's joke from earlier this year.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I loved MoS and BvS. Yeah, I'm one of the 3 people who loved those movies and own them.

Don't let those idiots like Honest Trailers, Cinema Sins, or Movie Bob, discourage or fool you. There are plenty of Man of Steel fans and BvS fans. More so the former as BvS is love it or hate it territory. I thought BvS was just okay, but went overboard on the darkness in some areas.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Part of me can't help but think this is some way for WB to exploit the whole thing about Snyder's daughter's death, which would be pretty disgusting.

But aside from that, I mean... The guy is pretty inconsistent with his movies and when it comes to DC, he did MOS which I thought was good, and BvS which I was ok with at the time but on subsequent views I realized how terrible it was. So I dunno what to expect out of his JL cut. Not that I'm all that interested in watching it anymore anyway, superhero movie fatigue hit me a while ago.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I've been wating for this to come for years now. SUPER hyped to finally see it come to fruition!
I've loved MOS and BvS since they first came out, so to FINALLY see Zack's original cut is a dream come true. Whether it's good or bad doesn't even matter to me. I at least wanna see what was planned from the start. It can't be worse than the Theatrical cut.

berto

I Saw the Devil
More so the former as BvS is love it or hate it territory.
Or from one to the other.
It's a long video but I think this is a great analysis of the themes of the film and how they change for this person after trying to hate it some more. Even if it's a long I do think it's well made and worth a check out.

Part of me can't help but think this is some way for WB to exploit the whole thing about Snyder's daughter's death, which would be pretty disgusting.
Well, there are theories abound to all kinds of possibilities. This one here implies that it's not happening because of WB or DC but rather because of the streaming service. That, in fact, they would rather see it forever buried.

It can't be worse than the Theatrical cut.
That's one of my questions. Will it be as bad as that? If it is it won't be as bad for the same reasons. These directors have tremendously different styles, but, as we can see, neither in infaulable.

The one thing I am hoping to not see is that Steppenwolf from the Theatrical cut. The one we saw in BvS was a far more interesting and menacing looking being. He looked demonic, foreboding.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I was going to have a knee-jerk reaction against WeGotThisCovered, but good to know they actually sourced Zack himself for their headline.

That being said, *excited screaming for the Snyder Cut*

I plan on watching the absolute f#ck out of it. Cyborg backstory? Green Lantern arc? Iris West? Cal Swanwick as Martian Manhunter? Uxas/Darkseid during the "History Lesson"? Flash not falling on Wonder Woman's boobs? Sign me up for all of that. The only thing I'm nerdier about right now is Tenet and that's because Nolan's earned it as a director. Snyder's earned his bit too; as much as people rag on how dark and different his movies are from the Superman they're used to, I find it a bit exaggerated in that there's still a hopeful message in Snyder's movies and Superman is still good in his core and saves the day, whereas the Injustice comics and videogame (twice!) is more or less "Superman is a murderous dick and each year he turns into even more of a murderous dick because reasons, so suck it". Wonder Woman is already doing that so, no thanks, and people are still buying those comics and enjoying Dickhead Superman: The Game, so what gives?

Aside: the criticism about Jonathan's portrayal is also overblown; he's just as protective over Clark and his identity in MoS as the John Schneider version of him was in Smallville, but Smallville was 5 seasons of Jon explaining himself about it and MoS is, well, one movie where Jon has to establish that he wants Clark to keep his powers discrete and also refused to exploit his son for personal gain at all costs, or else some three-letter agency would take Clark away for experimentation or pimp out his powers. Clark was just a child when his powers developed and neither Jon nor Martha knew his limits or if there were others like him out there. How else should they have behaved?

Anyway, can't wait to see it. No Russian Family subplot! No Red Skies! Wooooooo!

berto

I Saw the Devil
steppenwolf-zack-snyder-justice-league-1232523.jpg

Just what I was hoping for.

Edit:
Here's a comparison.
ogvsnyder.jpg

And here's the original concept art:
d4e38004bd8467b907954105cf40e86e.jpg

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Theatrical version is the "Mega64 (Sweded)" version of Steppenwolf, and the Snyder cut version is the actual design as far as I'm concerned.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
1598014315658780458549.jpg

15980143278491159473378.jpg

-------

Screenrant: Ares Actor Wasn't Credited: Here's What Happened

Variety: WarnerMedia Investigating ‘Justice League’ Production Amid New Ray Fisher Claims

---------

After 5 weeks of interviews with various cast/crew, @WarnerMedia has officially launched an independent third-party investigation to get to the heart of the toxic and abusive work environment created during Justice League reshoots.

This is a MASSIVE step forward! (1/2)

— Ray Fisher (@ray8fisher) August 20, 2020

I believe this investigation will show that Geoff Johns, Joss Whedon, Jon Berg (and others) grossly abused their power during the uncertainty of AT&T’s merger with Time Warner. Thank you @WarnerMedia and @ATT for making strides to ensure a safer workplace for all!

A>E (2/2)

— Ray Fisher (@ray8fisher) August 20, 2020

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021

Flashback Filmmaking: The Return of Superman 'Justice League' bonus scenes 4K

DCEU Honest News: Cyborg Deleted Scenes from Justice League (footage from TheAscendedAncient)

Superbro Movies: Deleted Scenes For ‘JUSTICE LEAGUE’ Have LEAKED (Text description of Cyborg and Flash deleted scenes)

Streamable Clips of TheAscendedAncient leaks: Clark at the Farm || Cyborg evading the Parademon || Flash Saves Iris || Victor Nods at Silas || Cyborg Controls Hundreds of Missiles || Cyborg's First Flight || Cyborg Projects Holographic Loadouts

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Ladies and gentlemen, Zack “I would set the movie on fire, I’d destroy it before I used a single frame that I did not photograph” Snyder.

He still hasn't seen the theatrical cut, as far as we're aware.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter: Zack Snyder Pulls Back Curtain on His 'Justice League' Cut

Snyder admitted that he still hasn’t seen the theatrical cut of Justice League and won’t, while also assuaging fears that any of the material Whedon shot would appear in his cut. “I would set the movie on fire, I’d destroy it before I used a single frame that I did not photograph,” Snyder said. While Snyder never spoke Whedon’s name directly, he did say that following his decision to step down as director of Justice League, after a family tragedy, the replacement director was chosen by the process of committee.

Even before he stepped down, Snyder ran into opposition from studio execs who wanted the film to be “hilarious.” He received a significant amount of pushback in wanting to see Superman return in a black suit as he famously did in "The Return of Superman" (1993) comic book storyline. Execs feared the black suit Superman would be “too scary,” but Snyder wasn’t interested in making Superman’s return into a joke. “I want Superman in full volume, in the full spectrum of emotion, not a one-note boy scout.”

I've found while trawling through the internet for Snyder Cut news, is that studio interference has gone beyond what happened to Zack Snyder and his movies, as evidenced by interviews with Patty Jenkins, insider knowledge from Warner Media, and what David Ayer has revealed on Twitter of his own cut of the story.

Fandango: ‘WONDER WOMAN’ Director Patty Jenkins On How the Film's Most Memorable Scene Almost Didn't Happen
“I think that in superhero movies, they fight other people, they fight villains,” she said. “So when I started to really hunker in on the significance of No Man's Land, there were a couple people who were deeply confused, wondering, like, ‘Well, what is she going to do? How many bullets can she fight?’ And I kept saying, ‘It's not about that. This is a different scene than that. This is a scene about her becoming Wonder Woman.’”

The Hollywood Reporter: 'Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety
A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin was really ****ed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn't deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

Sadly [Harley Quinn's] story arc [in Suicide Squad] was eviscerated. It was her movie in so many ways. Look I tried. I rendered Harley comic book accurate. Everything is political now. Everything. I just want to entertain. I will do better.

— David Ayer (@DavidAyerMovies) Apr 10, 2020

[Harley being an accomplice to Jason's murder] broke my timeline. Johns added it.

— David Ayer (@DavidAyerMovies) Jun 4, 2020

ScreenRant: Suicide Squad: Every Trailer Scene NOT in The Film

CBR: Suicide Squad: What We Know About the David Ayer Cut

MovieWeb: Harley Quinn and Deadshot Hooked Up as a Couple Before Suicide Squad Reshoots

The bafflement about Superman's black suit, Wonder Woman "fighting bullets", and everything around Ayer's cut of Suicide Squad is definitely a Geoff Johns and Joss Whedon thing (also Kevin Tsujihara, but I only found his name in an unsourced "open letter" calling Wonder Woman "a mess"). Let's not even get started here on Joss's infamous Wonder Woman script.

While Zack has had a "dark" take on Superman, he's at least trying to portray Superman. No different than Red Son, Kingdom Come, and other interpretations. Patty Jenkins did a Wonder Woman movie. Ayer intended an understandably dark take on the "Worst Heroes Eva". What Johns and Whedon seem to like doing across the movies they have influence on, though, is insert their personal drama and opinions into the characters, butchering the character in service to what they want to do.

Johns ruined Green Lantern by inserting Daddy Issues and his personal hate for Batman into Hal Jordan (read also: the Emotional Spectrum). Hal Jordan coming back to begin with, along with Barry Allen taking priority over Wally West and other speedsters, was Johns fostering nostalgia wank. He didn't even grow up with Barry Allen as the Flash, he grew up with West.

Whedon also has his own history of morphing characters so he can express his frustration over his Successful but Still Oppressed Nerd status, summed thus: 'When I was running Buffy, I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can't touch it.' So he's stuck inserting these pathetic nerd characters in the proximity of buxom women and bonus points if the nerd falls on the pretty lady's boobs, because funny.

And screw it, I'm gonna say it. His Wonder Woman script was awful. It was basically Diana being called nasty things from men being unequivocally sexist towards her, and Steve telling Diana to Check Her Privilege. Plus Whedon's foot fetishism. Plus WW dirty dancing to get men's attention, described in-script as "sensual, ethereal, and wicked sexy". Plus basically the story arc of Thor 1, "God gets powers stripped because of arrogance, learns to navigate the world without abilities", Genderbent Strife (changed from goddess to god), and did I mention Steve telling Diana to Check Her Privilege?

I'm just saying Snyder, Jenkins, and Ayer were out to tell stories and DC/WB ruined it to varying degrees. Hoping that Zack Snyder's Justice League is the beginning to directors not having their works hijacked by people who are out of touch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom