• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
So ****ing sick of book reviewers on Amazon thinking they know how to give proper reviews.

I don't care if their review is harsh, if they give fewer stars than other people. I do care, however, when the basis for such a low rating is something as asinine as, "I didn't like half of the characters, and the one I really liked died" (lack of spoiler warning as they go further on about how), along with a header that says "Amazing plot". So, let me get this straight: you thought the plot was amazing, but you gave it a one-star...

Over one. ****ing. Character?

And then you have the people who say, "I thought I knew how it would end, and frankly the ending I had in mind is better and makes more sense." You presumptuous little ****. Don't you dare think you know better than the author how her characters should think, feel, act, etc. Don't you dare presume to think you could have done better, because I promise you, you couldn't. They are not your characters; this is not your world, or your book series--so shove off.

Please, by all means, do try. Try to write a layered plot with complex characters, woven from the fibres of both fantasy and reality. You're the type of person that makes the vindictive side of me come to life; the side that would enjoy watching someone try and fail, because that person dared to think they had any claim as to how things played out in someone else's world.

It's one thing to say you find it dissatisfying because you were hoping for it to end different. It is quite another to assume you could do better than the creator.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Still absolutely nothing resolved about my pay. I've been told by my previous manager that it'll get sorted, but I'm unwilling to wait another month. Last week I emailed head office and have received no reply. Today they'll be getting a phone call, so good luck to whoever's on the other end of the phone. You'll be needing it.

Goldsickle

Really despise the habits of certain fanboys who start the "my favorite game was developed with less budget/staff/time than your favorite game" bulls**t, in an attempt to prove that their favorite game is "superior".

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
It drives me crazy when people come across a word they don't know (say, in an online comic) and pointlessly ask, "What is *insert word*?"

You're on. The effing. Internet. Look it up! :facepalm:

Gods, what do they think it was originally created for? Social media? >.>

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Anyone want three kids?

Ages are 5, 7 and 15.

All are incapable of behaving themselves and/or taking responsibility for their actions.

One never shuts up, one doesn't listen EVER and the other lives on social media as though to be parted from it would mean certain death.

Two don't eat much, one would rather live on takeaway pizza and none of them know how to take an empty plate from one room to another.

All are happy to live in squalor.

The eldest one seems to believe the world owes her billions and can't quite understand why she's not being treated like some sort of celebrity.

The youngest one has the attention span of a bucket.

The middle one will happily tell you to **** off and die at any given moment. Also loves Mario Kart.

As individuals they are barely manageable. As a trio they are akin to monsters of mythological proportions.

All sensible and even insensible offers considered.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
So... What do you do when a friend you've known for a couple years suddenly loses it? Went from being a mostly normal guy who shared some interests to an absolute bonkers whatever the heck overnight. He discovered I had a few viral construct characters and decided to make his own, bragging about how she could make "easy prey" of mine. When I told him that was impossible, as the compressed biomass would be too much for any one creature to take in at once, he got upset at me like I was ruining his fun. The only good thing to come out of this is that I came up with an idea for a new villainess. Other than that, it was a waste of my time and when he eventually found a picture of what he was looking for to try and "prove" he was right, he was instead horrified by the picture he found and backpedaled everything he said. Ugh.

TL;DR: People are jerks and will gladly stomp on the characters you love to prove a point.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
When you're listening to someone making chit chat to someone else for the sake of it, but the other person doesn't sound remotely interested.

Try...shutting up?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Spoiler, because unless someone is genuinely curious or concerned, I won't force them to read such personal issues. I just need to get this off my chest somewhere, and no doubt I'll never need to rant about it--or things related to it--again.

Tired of waiting to see if the other shoe is going to drop, in one way or another. The worst thing about it is, I can't tell if my suspicion of completely irrational action being taken by a certain someone (like "driving nearly 5 hours to reach a destination where they're not wanted, just to threaten" irrational) is sound, or if years of that kind of B.S. while growing up has made it impossible for me to imagine anything less happening, regardless of being well into adulthood.

Just further proof that burning that bridge was all the more necessary. It wasn't that I didn't try to forgive and forget the past; it's that it was too ****ing big, too ****ing much, to let the people who had put me through that remain in my life. That, and I can't allow that kind of B.S. to leak into kiddo's life, either (since someone crossed that line twice with her, too).

I don't feel guilty in the slightest. Just apprehensive that my hard-fought freedom will still be infringed upon somehow.

Kurisu

Bunny mom
Sigh... My mom is acting cold with me since an argument we had on Tuesday because of my stupid older brother. It's been three days and I already apologized and you said "It's okay", can't you just let it be? Everytime you talk to me you make me want to run to my room and move the furnitures to block the door, and just be there forever just to not see you. Also dad and you claim that you understand me and yet you deny depression is a mental illness, you don't want to look up what official pages say about it and you also claim that I have memory loss just because I don't pay attention. Parents of the year, really.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Yooka Laylee received mixed reviews, which has left me quite confused. Maybe some of this is my own personal bias talking, but I'm not entirely sure it is.

Now, it's not like you release a game and everyone gives it a good review. It's not like you release a game and every website has it scored between 7-10/10. But...

...mixed reviews would indicate it's not a bad game, but it's not a great game. So for the most part we're calling Yooka Laylee an 'ok' game. Not the worst, not the best, and most importantly 'nothing that special'. It sounds like a Marmite game (you either love it or hate it, but either way it's there and it's 'ehhh', not exactly sliced bread).

I wouldn't so much have a problem with this if (1) my own personal bias is that the game definitely deserved to receive better reviews, and (2) if those who gave it bad scores did so for a reason that I could somewhat understand.

Let me explain. For those who enjoyed the game, then great. I haven't really read too much into why people did like the game. But for those that didn't, this is what I've heard you say..."Yooka Laylee is a bad game because it feels 'outdated' (between 90's - early 2000's), and it relies heavily on 'nostalgia'."

Okay, well...

(1) Yooka Laylee feels outdated because it was created by ex-Rare employees whose obvious great gaming milestones were set around that time. Not only is this what they were trained to do back then, but it's how they're still most likely going to think and operate now. For instance, if you took someone out of a particular time period where they only knew how to behave then, what exactly would you expect? I'm not saying these people haven't followed the gaming scene and have been living under rocks, but their greatness and their experience existed in a time which isn't now. This leads to our second point, because subsequently it feeling 'outdated' also means it's trying to rely heavily on nostalgia to interest and entice us...

(2) And? You're aware that the game is meant to make us feel nostalgic, because firstly - it's a SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR to Banjo Kazooie - and secondly - Because it's a revival of the 3D PLATFORMING genre. How exactly would you want to try to remind people about platforming games and also put it out there that it's a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie IF you didn't design it like that, and IF it was something completely different to what you might've expected from a game like that. It's not meant to be some brand new crazy out there and over the top modern spin on 3D platforming, its soul purpose was to remind you of the good old days when we had games such as Banjo Kazooie. It doesn't make sense to say that because it tries to make us feel nostalgic that that's a 'bad thing', because the soul intentions of what the game was going to be like when it was released were laid out on the table when the game's proposal was announced.

It seems incredibly silly to me that it's receiving low scores because it isn't something that it never said it was going to be. It was exactly what they promised people, and that's exactly why it was so well funded.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Funny, that doesn't look like a request. What it looks like is someone assuming I'll do it, because I clearly don't have anything better to do, and who could possibly resist it, because it's just that "good"?

Just because I've done it before, doesn't mean I'd planned on doing it indefinitely, or for however long until you get bored with it. And how about instead of expecting me to do all the heavy-lifting, you apply some of the know-how I've previously given? If you don't care enough to actually put in the effort, then why should I or anyone else give a damn about it?

>.>

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
6 calls. 6 effing calls since I made the choice to burn that bridge--in under a month. That you can't respect my wishes comes as no effing surprise; I wonder if it's because you're trying to hide the truth from your other half (a bit late to "protect me" from him, don't you think?) or if you're really so deluded as to think I didn't mean it when I said I'm done with you.

Whatever the case, there should be no doubt once I send that big, bold, and straight-to-the-point letter. Oh, and if you think of having your friends go into "Witch-hunt mode" on my FB as a result, know this: I've got everything that led up to this decision typed out...including some pretty effing incriminating ****. So you might want to rethink playing the victim, here.

Now, if you don't mind (not that I give a **** if you do) I'm busy being the parent you NEVER were.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
What a pain. :facepalm:

I never figured out how to get my PS mic to work. :laugh:

lol

They just make them crappy so that you have to buy them again. It's all a conspiracy :nailbiting:

Top Bottom