• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
So, they killed an animal (giraffe) because it was 'surplus to requirements' and that it was born out of 'inbreeding'.
Imagine if we had the same idea about humans...
I don't know how to word this rant, but hopefully you'll see where I could take it.
BTW, They fed the giraffe corpse to the lions (after they carried out an autopsy).
who says we CAN'T do that to humans?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
This was in a zoo, right? I suppose some zoos operate with the idea that they are meant to be maintaining the healthiest population of rare animals so any inbred ones are an expense and a liability. BUT, how did this giraffe come to be born from inbreeding, then? If they don't want inbred animals they should have kept them in a situation that wouldn't have allowed it to be bred in the first place. Unless this giraffe was bred elsewhere.

First rule of the zoo, right behind "don't put the lions in with the zebras", surely

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
This was in a zoo, right? I suppose some zoos operate with the idea that they are meant to be maintaining the healthiest population of rare animals so any inbred ones are an expense and a liability. BUT, how did this giraffe come to be born from inbreeding, then? If they don't want inbred animals they should have kept them in a situation that wouldn't have allowed it to be bred in the first place. Unless this giraffe was bred elsewhere.

First rule of the zoo, right behind "don't put the lions in with the zebras", surely

Other zoo's had offer a place for this giraffe but they just said no. People even raised money to keep it alive.
They were just so intent on destroying it (it also 'sounded' of 'if we can't have it, no one will').

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
So, they killed an animal (giraffe) because it was 'surplus to requirements' and that it was born out of 'inbreeding'.
Imagine if we had the same idea about humans...
I don't know how to word this rant, but hopefully you'll see where I could take it.
BTW, They fed the giraffe corpse to the lions (after they carried out an autopsy).
There's a story this week that a family of lions: male, female and 3-4 cubs were euthanized because they were surplus to the park. I don't understand why they kill them when they could have sent them to another park in UK.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Does seem like the guy in charge just really wanted to do a live broadcast autopsy on it by the sound of things...

Sure, as a zoo manager the guy who declined these offers can't be sentimental about animals, but at the same time being so fixated on killing one when the option to let it live and take it off his hands was so there, is giving some bad vibes.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Does seem like the guy in charge just really wanted to do a live broadcast autopsy on it by the sound of things...

Sure, as a zoo manager the guy who declined these offers can't be sentimental about animals, but at the same time being so fixated on killing one when the option to let it live and take it off his hands was so there, is giving some bad vibes.
Sounds like it. From one article I read, he killed the giraffe in front of adults and children, and then did the autopsy in front of them too. Things like this, I just can't believe people do it.

Sure, if the animal had a really bad quality of life or was terminally ill, then kill it in a humane way. But to kill like that for the sake of it is just disgusting to me. I don't know how someone could kill an animal anyway. I couldn't.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
In a way, I don't see the fuss. Because, millions of animals are killed to end up in people's dinners every day, and people shouldn't be sensitive about that if they eat meat. I eat meat, so I should be aware of what died for me to eat it. That's just how I see it. People can be sensitive and ignorant at the same time, and in a way this giraffe makes that stand out, if the disregard for this giraffe's life is bad then... well, we should take a look at the mass disregard toward animals everywhere. The giraffe is treated like a pet so it's somehow worse to kill him? But what about all the animals who only exist to be our food? The guy in charge in the zoo sees the giraffe more like a commodity than a soul, and that's what it ended up as. And if that's insensitive, all of us who indirectly let animals be treated that way are responsible.

I'm not sentimental about that. I believe we're all part of nature and humans are naturally predisposed to eating meat, but I also believe you should treat your food humanely. Give it a pain free life before you eat it, kill it as humanely as you can, and don't eat more than you need. Respect it, in other words.

(The autopsy... well, I don't see that as bad. People shouldn't find it horrific, because it's educational. But I would much prefer if such a thing were done on an animal that died from natural causes or old age, than one that appeared to have been killed mainly to provide the spectacle. They don't do this any more in UK universities as far as I know, we didn't dissect anything intentionally killed for the purpose of dissection or I would probably have refused to do it. Bi products of the food industry sure, but not like in the past where they would go gas a hundred rats or frogs just so students could learn what you can just as easily read about in a book.)

That said, the giraffe had a lot of press on it and there were many people willing to save its life, the guy was really pushing it by claiming allowing it to live would do 'harm' to other zoos. It might not have been genetically sound as a partially inbred animal but it appeared healthy enough (many inbred animals are) and could have served just as well in another animal park as an attraction not intended for breeding. A lot of animals in zoos do not successfully breed and they aren't done away with just because of that. This guy, I figure, is holding himself as the authority over this giraffe because he believed it was his call and he 'knew best'.

But I suppose it will highlight the situation with animals and people will make of it what they will.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
i like how even in an event meant for me my parents just HAVE to take the spotlight

Is this one of those things where they live vicariously through you, take credit for how you turned out and thus, believe your success is their success?

If so, I understand your ire.

Other zoo's had offer a place for this giraffe but they just said no. People even raised money to keep it alive.
They were just so intent on destroying it (it also 'sounded' of 'if we can't have it, no one will').

That's ridiculous. :/ It seems completely unnecessary that they went that route, when it could have been avoided.

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
From the sounds of it, it was mainly killed because of the 'inbreeding'.
Our nearest Zoo (Newquay), kept a father and daughter lion and lioness together (the last time I went there was back in sixth form 10 years ago). I can remember the look of disgust on one of the tutor's faces... I can't remember if they said the Male lion had been 'done' or was on drugs to stop him... 'getting horny'.
So, perhaps the whole 'inbreeding' thing with this giraffe could've been prevented.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Our nearest Zoo (Newquay), kept a father and daughter lion and lioness together (the last time I went there was back in sixth form 10 years ago). I can remember the look of disgust on one of the tutor's faces... I can't remember if they said the Male lion had been 'done' or was on drugs to stop him... 'getting horny'.
So, perhaps the whole 'inbreeding' thing with this giraffe could've been prevented.

Totally, it's the first thing you think of as an animal keeper - are the animals you put together going to breed or kill each other? If they received this giraffe from some other place then it's not their fault but if they allowed their giraffes to inbreed, only to claim they have to boltgun a young giraffe because of it, that's pretty close to neglectful cruelty.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
If that's the case, were they sure it had genetic problems or would have a bad quality of life as a result? If it was healthy, then they could have sterilized it to prevent it breeding as an adult, or sent it away to another zoo.

It's hypocritical that this place kills a giraffe for inbreeding, then you have that infamous case of deliberate inbreeding to make white tigers where the offspring were clearly mentally and physically defective.

That's what really gets to me. It could have been prevented if they didn't want more. Other zoos and animal parks are able to sterilize their animals.
I'm sure the place that killed the giraffe could have prevented this easily if they had some sort of contraceptive or sterilization plan.

Failing that, don't keep two giraffes together if they are related and could breed together; send a giraffe to another zoo to prevent it. This mess is either a result of poor planning or just not caring.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
"Oh, that's right, too...you've never had to go through the grieving process, have you?"

Um...what?

What in the ACTUAL f*ck?

Let's see...um, yes. Yes, I have.

Y'see, just because I haven't had someone close to me die (aside from my first and only dog, because the other two didn't count; they were yours. Oh, and by the way, that was a major loss to me, since at least that dog was there for me through the worst sh*t in my young life, up to that point) I have lost people in my life. I have been denied heaps of f*cking closure in regards to those individuals, and in life, in general. How the hell do you not know that? You were involved in most of those situations, and the cause of at least three!

I've grieved for a great many things; I've cried those tears that show no signs of stopping; I've felt the unbearable pain in my chest when I couldn't contain the sobs, anymore. I've spiralled in and out of depression, drifted between states of sleep and wakefulness, enduring the delirium that comes with those feelings of loss when you dream about the someone or something you miss most being there...when they've been long gone.

But no, what would I know of grief? Isn't it bad enough that I will know the type of grief you obviously view as the only kind, down the road?

You really are blind, and self-centred. You continue to prove my point that your only concern for others stems from your incurable nosiness, and from nothing else.

Last edited:

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
So, now you know what my problem is... saying you stayed together 'just because of me', I don't find acceptable. You knew what my dad's mother and father put him through as a child, you should've avoided history repeating itself... but no, it made sense to 'mentally screw up' your only child just for the 'financial security'. Let's face it, that's how your marriage has lasted 30+ years, not because of love, but because of money. You both make me sick.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Don't go to Midas in Newtown.
They took off my front wheel and exchanged it with a flat, worn out wheel and made it look like they'd taken that wheel off my car. Which is BS because it was NOT that worn when I washed the car that morning.
Oh, and this morning my car suddenly has an oil leak.
AN OIL LEAK.
I've had this car for 5 years. Not ONCE did it ever leak oil.
****ing scheming bastards.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
They took off my front wheel and exchanged it with a flat, worn out wheel and made it look like they'd taken that wheel off my car. Which is BS because it was NOT that worn when I washed the car that morning.
AN OIL LEAK.
******* scheming bastards.

Ugh! It sounds like they're taking advantage of the fact that you're a woman, and thus, they assume you know nothing about your own car. :mad: Similar stuff happened to my mom a few times-which is hilarious, because she worked in the automotive business for 20 years, and is married to a mechanic. XD

Anyway, I hope you give them the tongue-lashing of a lifetime, and get a refund. I cannot stand crooked car centres like that...

Vergil'sBitch

Premium
AN OIL LEAK.
******* scheming bastards.

A friend of my mum's has been going to a garage in the local area for years. Two weeks before her MOT she took it in because it needed work (the electrics failed, it rained, the upholstery was soaked and some other stuff was damaged). They fixed it, then when it went in for MOT... it FAILED!
Obviously they're squeezing money because she's female, an OAP, and reliant on her car.

I swear they make problems just so they can get more money out of customers.
I bet they don't to it to blokes built like "brick s**t houses" (as my mum says... she really means 'a man bigger than a rugby player'), bald, with the name 'Bertha' tattooed on his arm (I'm not saying that all garages are like it... just the greedy b*st*rds).

CRT:
- Why is 'private part' for Genesis 2 Female a bigger file size than the Genesis 2 Male 'private part'?
It makes no sense what.so.ever.
- That program looked more fake than 'Most Haunted'. At least on MH, they don't wear masks and carry 'tape recorders' around (if that's what they are).
- I just want my back to stop itching...
- What exactly is that supposed to do?
- Urgh... Valentine's Day... I suppose I could always make Lightning Returns a pressie to myself... no... I don't like Lightning that much...
-5kb a second! oh, now it's one...

Top Bottom