• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
It really bothers me when I share a fic I love with a friend and then they go and laugh and trash the fic. Yeah, I know the grammar and spelling isn't great and I know the plot's a little predictable, but I really like it. If you don't like it: fine. But you don't have to sit here and throw this big production and follow it all up with "it's no where near as good as any of yours". Which turns it into a slap in the face, because I think it's a great fic. Especially since it inspired one of my fics that you think is so good. And it puts me in a bind because, if I agree with you, then it turns me into a hypocritical *sshat, but, if I don't, then you're ****ed off at me. This whole situation makes it so I can't share fics from friends with you because I don't know how you'll react. You need to just stop and consider other people's feelings for once.

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
People! It's YOU who put me in this corner so why the **** do you think I wanna be here? I never even once wanted to be here and there were never a reason either. Jesus this stereotypical world!

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
This isn't exactly a rant, more like I'm puzzled. But I'll put it here anyway.
I've come across these dolls before called reborn babies. They look so realistic that it's uncanny. Anyway, I was browsing blogs, and someone on there is posting loads of pictures of their reborn doll and trying to make out that it is a real baby that actually needs feeding and changing. I don't understand why someone would do this.:blink: When someone called them out on it being a fake baby in the comments, this person then went ape-sh!t angry. :|

This same person also goes on a rant about being very offended when a real mother is freaked out by their fake baby doll. I'd be freaked out too if a grown adult put a fake baby doll in a pram and pushed it around town and talked to it like it was a real child.

Something about that just seems weird to me...why pretend that a doll is a real baby, post loads of pics about it, and then get angry when someone actually points out that the baby is a doll? I just don't get it.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
aI just don't get it.
There are some corners of the human psyche that shouldn't be looked into.

Trust me. I know. I've played Shadowman.

And read all the documents (and heard all the audio files) in the game. I kinda know how you feel.

Also, I think the power's about to go out. Goodnight everyone.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I've come across these dolls before called reborn babies. They look so realistic that it's uncanny. Anyway, I was browsing blogs, and someone on there is posting loads of pictures of their reborn doll and trying to make out that it is a real baby that actually needs feeding and changing. I don't understand why someone would do this.:blink: When someone called them out on it being a fake baby in the comments, this person then went ape-sh!t angry. :|

This same person also goes on a rant about being very offended when a real mother is freaked out by their fake baby doll. I'd be freaked out too if a grown adult put a fake baby doll in a pram and pushed it around town and talked to it like it was a real child.

Something about that just seems weird to me...why pretend that a doll is a real baby, post loads of pics about it, and then get angry when someone actually points out that the baby is a doll? I just don't get it.
I want one of them dolls. SO. BAD.
But only the really good ones. You get some crappy artists out there that charge you an arm and a leg and then you get a doll that is not worth the price.

*Synth-Dragon huggle* ^^
>>>>>>>GROUP-HUG<<<<<<<

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I want one of them dolls. SO. BAD.
But only the really good ones. You get some crappy artists out there that charge you an arm and a leg and then you get a doll that is not worth the price.

>>>>>>>GROUP-HUG<<<<<<<
Do the dolls actually do anything such as cry or pee themselves like those toy dolls for children? The ones I've come across on the net just stay still and do nothing.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin

these dolls are a source of controversy, in some ways. They even had a documentary about them some time ago on UK tv (probably channel 5) and featured a variety of women who had these dolls for different reasons. The appeal for some is because it may be the closest they can get to a real baby and as such they may get quite maternal and protective over it as you would a real child - which is why it can be a controversial thing and there is sometimes the need to question the mental health of the person.

However, for some people the appeal lies in the fact that they may have recently lost a baby and want to have something to remember them by or to realise what they imagined their child to have looked like if the baby hadn't already died in the womb. It's the kind of thing that is deeply personal, can border on unhinged and is rarely understood by others - even those who have gone through a similar trauma.

Reborns remind me a bit of 6th Day with Re-Pets...some people cannot or do not want to get over the death of a baby and to comfort them, they buy a Reborn doll and use it as a sort of therapy device. Only for a number of them it actually causes more harm than good and they enter a fantasy world from which it becomes very hard to get out of alone.

I almost went down a similar route when my twins died - they died before they were born and for a while I wanted something to remember them by as there was no provision for a funeral or anything back then; the hospital merely disposed of remains on site and there is no death certificate issued for babies who are not born first. I looked at some sort of realistically-sized representation of them but Steve was like, "that's going to do you more harm than good" so as he was right, we went down the more traditional route of having a candle lit in the hospital chapel once a year in their memory.

Also, as far as I know, the dolls do nothing. They just look real. Although there is no doubt someone out there who has tried to make them pee or cry or eat or something...if Tiny Tears can do it, there's no real reason to suggest the same tech cannot be implanted into a Reborn.

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
Authors who write simple stories. They think they know how to be a beta-reader and know what's best for your style/writing technique just because they have a sh*t-ton of reviews with barely any meaningful words. I like lengthy, wordy stories and I use complex words with them. Don't like it:

408086841.jpg

Just because you're scratching the bare surface of the character while thinking their traits are deep enough, and you think all stories should be a perfect balance of literary and casual does not mean you know what's best...for...me. I may write like that one day, I may not. My writing's no where near perfect, nor will it ever be, but I like it's un-perfect naturalness. It's not up to you, darling, it's up to me and what I am comfortable writing with. If you offered tips on how to improve maybe it wouldn't have seemed like your head was up your a**. Seriously when you leave reviews it's like you know all there is about the character and people should follow your style. So, stick to your 'one sentence describes this, one sentence describes that' and leave me with my love for writing a bunch of sh*t, doll. Just because you think it's 'not readable' does not mean I'm going to take words out for your benefit. What's the point of having your own way of writing if you want it all to be the same?

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
Please tell me who this person is so I can avoid them.
I'm probably going to seem like a colossal b*tch for saying this, but the author GinaeEvans has not left that big of an impression on me with her stories. I've read six of them and they don't grip me as a reader, maybe her Vergil diary one, but that's it. I don't mean 'simple' by there's no structure to the story, I mean it as it's not really delving into the character/not really digging into what makes them “them” ya know? I understand that different people have different levels of “deep” in their tones of writing, but I have a hesitant feeling about the knowledge they claim to know about writing stories and understanding diversity.

When someone leaves a constructive review, once you're done plowing through the reviews of:

“OMG. I love it!”

“Update please!”

“I want more!”

“Gah! It's so good!”

(not to say those aren't worth anything, but you want to see what they like about it specifically), I like to see if that reviewer has any stories, and if they do, do they have a better grip in the area that I need work on. And when I read their work and they don't have the “gusto” or “spark” that I can get into, or lead by example to gain influence into my work, I'm doubtful of their their bold knowledge on how to convey deep impressions, is all. Not to say there's one definite way to write a character/story/plot or anyone's wrong in their version of it, but the proof isn't really that strong in her writing. That's perfectly fine that others love her work and they think it's the best thing ever, it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe there's a disconnect on my end somewhere, but I don't see it.

Edit: Is it really hard to offer tips in a constructive review so that the author can go and do research on the tips/find out more about them other than the simple, explain their dislikes/critique and leave it with "get a beta." That grinds my gears. List the things they don't like about it and offer no helpful suggestions.

Last edited:

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
I absolutely, positively hate this fat faced f***er that has been negatively influencing my brother. I swear if I catch you in the street I'll body slam you into a f***ing lake you little twat. How dare you get my brother arrested over your damn skateboard antics and drug use. He's 14!!! You're 18!!! Be an adult! I'm glad you're on house arrest and I hope you rot there! Thanks to you, he's never been the same! I hope your house turns into a monster and swallows you! F*** you Ricky. F*** you with a rusty chainsaw!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------
Also f*** mainstream hip hop music. You s***s sound like a dying cat who has his nuts in a vice grip. You suck and I hope your swag-fag fans learn that soon.
Young-Money.jpg

71191-arya-stark-burn-in-hell-gif-nuIz.gif

---------------------------------------------
F*** Hitler!

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i swear my mother is the real life counter part of margaret white (carrie's mother). i'm very tolerant of religion and i accept that everybody has views, but seriously, i would like to form my own opinions without you threatening to sacrifice me or whatever

Top Bottom