• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The DmC Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Asmodaius

I can see why you would be perplexed by the description, but you really don't have to take everything so literally, CoolDemon. As Meg said, there's the original version and there's a new version of Dante. That might not be the way you would put it... but who cares? I don't call you out everytime you make a grammar mistake either, or if you explain something in a way I wouldn't do.

It's not really all that important, just as long you know what I am talking about.

Meg

Asmo's right, there is no need to get so caught up in what a word means. So long as we know what we are talking about. :)

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Asmo's right, there is no need to get so caught up in what a word means. So long as we know what we are talking about. :)
What Asmo has said "They are two versions of same character" has created misunderstandings before. That is why it's important to clear it up.

By saying that it means DMC 1 and DmC Dante are versions of a original character.
And i think it's wrong to say "original version" though i am sure i have said that myself. Because a version is a version because it's a variation of original character.

But my most important message with this post is that it's wrong to say "They are two versions of same character". They are 1) not the same character 2) DMC 1 Dante is not a version.

Asmodaius

Everyone else knows what I mean. You're the only one who doesn't. But now I have explained myself, so I hope that for future reference that you will know what I mean so we won't have this discussion again.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Everyone else knows what I mean. You're the only one who doesn't. But now I have explained myself, so I hope that for future reference that you will know what I mean so we won't have this discussion again.
My intentions with bringing it up was not to mock you or look down on you because you expressed yourself wrong, but to be nice.

Asmodaius

My intentions with bringing it up was not to mock you or look down on you because you expressed yourself wrong, but to be nice.

And that is quite alright, but I don't think that I am wrong in expressing it that way and I shall continue calling it so in the future as well.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
They are versions of a concept, the concept being a man who has demon powers who kills demons....they are BOTH versions of that CONCEPT...if you want to argue semantics by your logic, look at Link...there are many "Links" over time, they all act the same....hell even sometimes it's a parallel universe "Link" that they use....IT'S THE SAME CHARACTER IN A DIFFERENT INCARNATION! guess what? The games are still Legend of Zelda...this is STILL Devil May Cry!

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
They are versions of a concept, the concept being a man who has demon powers who kills demons....they are BOTH versions of that CONCEPT...if you want to argue semantics by your logic, look at Link...there are many "Links" over time, they all act the same....hell even sometimes it's a parallel universe "Link" that they use....IT'S THE SAME CHARACTER IN A DIFFERENT INCARNATION! guess what? The games are still Legend of Zelda...this is STILL Devil May Cry!
So your saying that DMC 1 Dante - the concept as in the idea of creating Dante came from a other character - a man who had demon powers and who killed demons?
Who is that man?

Because last time i checked DMC 1 Dante concept came from three sources: Blade, Cobra and Dante from D.C.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
^ Lol Really? The CONCEPT was original, the character was made to fit the CONCEPT...We've gone over this with other video game characters, comic characters, etc and you remain ignorant to it...They are versions of a single CONCEPT...it's another incarnation of that concept, the concept/idea being in the form of a video game character. The FIRST incarnation was DMC1 Dante, all others (DMC 2-4) are that SAME EXACT Dante as he goes through events in his life. The SECOND incarnation is DmC Dante. There literally is no other way to make this any more clear to you.

Asmodaius

I believe what GGC is trying to say is this...

Inspired from Blade, The Divine Comedy, Cobra and such, Capcom came up with the concept of a character called Dante who is a demon hunter. At this point we are still on the idea level, nothing physical has been made yet. Then that concept turned into a character which is the Dante we know from the first DMC. The concept has now become physical.

However, from that same concept, from that same idea, DmC Dante was born as well.

And as GGC says, the Dante from DMC is the same Dante through the whole series, from 1-4.
DmC Dante, however, is a new incarnation, a new version, of that same concept.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Asmo already explained it pretty clear with the X Men reference.

I really do not get whats so hard to understand.

Anybody that has heard of the Marvel franchise has surely heard of the "Ultimate" franchise which has the same characters (such as wolverine or spiderman) set in a parallel universe.

They are different characters by the fact that their origins are different and sometimes their looks, but they ARE still based on the same original character.

THAT is what I think Asmo is trying to say. They are both Dante, but this dante (DmC Dante) is based off the original dante (to a certain extent).

And what I mean by a certain extent is that so far the only thing that he has in common is

1.he is part demon
2.his name is dante
and
3.he kills demons

Now I still think it was ridiculous for NT and Capcom to make this Dante part Angel. That in itself is going to cause alot of people to not want to see this Dante as a parallel version of the original Dante. I just do not get why NT could not have kept one of the core aspects that was known about the original Dante with this Dante (such as him being half human and half demon).

At least the Ultimate Universe from the Marvel comics kept the core character aspect intact such as Spiderman being a human with Spider powers.

But time will tell if this whole being half angel business works for the best or worse.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
^ I agree with what you say, except for the Half Angel thing, as I think it's still under deliberation as it could be a story element of him getting angel powers. It's a work in progress. However, that's for another thread another time. Other than that, you hit the nail on the head

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante
ohhh geez, I can't believe that we are still arguing on this new DmC matter. Well then allow me in...
I am not going to criticise anybody's opinion in particular nor make any reference. I'll just write what I think on this matter.
We started arguing about the logo, moved to the character and finally we were letting out negative critics on the new Dante. I know that it is hard for many to accept the new concept and the fact that our Dante is no longer that handsome and humorous dude. I felt the same too. After I watched the DmC trailer for the first time I told myself that I will never play that game and I even cursed Capcom and NT...I WAS WRONG!!!
Later I realised something. I realised that we, DmC fans, are not only in love with Dante but we love the game itself. They can call it DMC, DmC or even dmc if they want...I don't care...I love Devil May Cry and I don't care how they spell it, I only care how we say it...we say 'Devil May Cry' and people hear 'Devil May Cry'...its not some caps or logo which is going to make me curse my favourite company and wrong that precious game again, surely not. Who can love DMC more that the creators of the game? you think its us? fans? well, I think it us, me, because I was finally able to accept Devil May Cry like it is.
I'll say it again, I know that many of us still think the way I used to do, they think that this Dante is a total failure, he smokes and he's dirty but now I mention that this Dante is a part of the Devil May Cry family and we should love him as we love all the other characters so please do not ignore me. Changes are always hard to accept especially when they are not in our favour but we got to smile and move on.
Moreover, What's with that DMC 1 Dante, DMC 2 Dante and so on...? The concept may be different but Dante is Dante... he is the lead, the symbol of Devil May Cry and I would prefer if fans could now start referring him as just Dante because mentioning the 'DMC' before his name is trying to compare and comparing is also pointing out mistakes. What mistakes do we want to point out? Dante is PERFECT in every concept!
I just want you all to see what I see and what I see is that is it still Devil May Cry and no matter how many changes they bring in the lead we will forever be here in this forum, not because we only love Dante but because we are thankful that we have such a game called Devil May Cry.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
ohhh geez, I can't believe that we are still arguing on this new DmC matter. Well then allow me in...
I am not going to criticise anybody's opinion in particular nor make any reference. I'll just write what I think on this matter.
We started arguing about the logo, moved to the character and finally we were letting out negative critics on the new Dante. I know that it is hard for many to accept the new concept and the fact that our Dante is no longer that handsome and humorous dude. I felt the same too. After I watched the DmC trailer for the first time I told myself that I will never play that game and I even cursed Capcom and NT...I WAS WRONG!!!
Later I realised something. I realised that we, DmC fans, are not only in love with Dante but we love the game itself. They can call it DMC, DmC or even dmc if they want...I don't care...I love Devil May Cry and I don't care how they spell it, I only care how we say it...we say 'Devil May Cry' and people hear 'Devil May Cry'...its not some caps or logo which is going to make me curse my favourite company and wrong that precious game again, surely not. Who can love DMC more that the creators of the game? you think its us? fans? well, I think it us, me, because I was finally able to accept Devil May Cry like it is.
I'll say it again, I know that many of us still think the way I used to do, they think that this Dante is a total failure, he smokes and he's dirty but now I mention that this Dante is a part of the Devil May Cry family and we should love him as we love all the other characters so please do not ignore me. Changes are always hard to accept especially when they are not in our favour but we got to smile and move on.
Moreover, What's with that DMC 1 Dante, DMC 2 Dante and so on...? The concept may be different but Dante is Dante... he is the lead, the symbol of Devil May Cry and I would prefer if fans could now start referring him as just Dante because mentioning the 'DMC' before his name is trying to compare and comparing is also pointing out mistakes. What mistakes do we want to point out? Dante is PERFECT in every concept!
I just want you all to see what I see and what I see is that is it still Devil May Cry and no matter how many changes they bring in the lead we will forever be here in this forum, not because we only love Dante but because we are thankful that we have such a game called Devil May Cry.
Diddo!!

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Dante is Dante, and if you think he needs a change then your not a fan of him (or no longer). That´s how SIMPLE it is.
You may be a fan of DmC.

But when it comes to DmC and DMC Dante - you pick one. And stick to that. But don´t be a hypocrite and say "I am a fan of both Dante".

If you have to pick a Dante - DmC or DMC ------PICK one. If you can´t then it shows that your a hypocrite and don´t wanna reveal that.

I say this because there are NATURAL changes. But then there making a new character that copies a other character.

There is these reasons why many of you like DmC Dante:
1) Because he´s a copy of Dante
2) Because DmC Dante is how you "want" Dante to be like. Dante can (real Dante) have character development as in human issues without being turned into a angel or punk, or looks.
3) Your a Ninja theory fan.
4) Mix of the above
5) You were never fan of Dante in first place but DMC gameplay and other characters.

Because there is no way this copy is better than the original. And if you think that i am wrong then your no longer a fan of Dante. I didn´t become fan of Dante for no reason.

When Capcom said "It´s a parallel world" you all go "Oh ok since it´s a parallel universe i can accept this Dante". When the hell did Capcom become parallel universe researchers/scientists? They are GAME developers not scientists. And the parlell universe thing is a excuse.

IF you had to pick DmC Dante or DMC Dante - who would you pick? Answering "both" is hypocritical. If you like one of them 0,000000000001% more - that will make the difference for you to be able to say "I actually like X Dante the most".

DmC Dante is not unique. And it´s funny how so many people talk "I got faith in Ninja theory´s storyskills" yet Ninja theory can´t make a new character and use their storyskills to make you like the new character. No...they had to make a new character and copy Dante.

And apparently Tameem thinks DMC Dante is no longer cool. I am guessing those of you who say "I like both of them" must agree - because why would you then support this change?

Sure Capcom forced Ninja theory but Capcom never forced Ninja theory to say "Dante is no longer cool" - that came out of Tameems mouth.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Dante is Dante, and if you think he needs a change then your not a fan of him (or no longer). That´s how SIMPLE it is.
You may be a fan of DmC.

But when it comes to DmC and DMC Dante - you pick one. And stick to that. But don´t be a hypocrite and say "I am a fan of both Dante".

If you have to pick a Dante - DmC or DMC ------PICK one. If you can´t then it shows that your a hypocrite and don´t wanna reveal that.

I say this because there are NATURAL changes. But then there making a new character that copies a other character.

There is these reasons why many of you like DmC Dante:
1) Because he´s a copy of Dante
2) Because DmC Dante is how you "want" Dante to be like. Dante can (real Dante) have character development as in human issues without being turned into a angel or punk, or looks.
3) Your a Ninja theory fan.
4) Mix of the above
5) You were never fan of Dante in first place but DMC gameplay and other characters.

Because there is no way this copy is better than the original. And if you think that i am wrong then your no longer a fan of Dante. I didn´t become fan of Dante for no reason.

When Capcom said "It´s a parallel world" you all go "Oh ok since it´s a parallel universe i can accept this Dante". When the hell did Capcom become parallel universe researchers/scientists? They are GAME developers not scientists. And the parlell universe thing is a excuse.

IF you had to pick DmC Dante or DMC Dante - who would you pick? Answering "both" is hypocritical. If you like one of them 0,000000000001% more - that will make the difference for you to be able to say "I actually like X Dante the most".

DmC Dante is not unique. And it´s funny how so many people talk "I got faith in Ninja theory´s storyskills" yet Ninja theory can´t make a new character and use their storyskills to make you like the new character. No...they had to make a new character and copy Dante.

And apparently Tameem thinks DMC Dante is no longer cool. I am guessing those of you who say "I like both of them" must agree - because why would you then support this change?

Sure Capcom forced Ninja theory but Capcom never forced Ninja theory to say "Dante is no longer cool" - that came out of Tameems mouth.
....there are so many things wrong with this statement i don't know where to begin. first of all who are you to say we fans can't be a fan of both DMC dante and DmC dante, because last i checked we can! i am a fan of BOTH dantes. i like DMC dante more than DmC dante at the moment, because i haven't gotten to play as DmC dante and see what he's like. nobody has to pick a dante. i find it offensive that you are calling people hypocrites just because you don't like both dantes and other people do, myself included. everyone on this forum understands that YOU don't like DmC dante, or DmC in general, but you don't have the right to say WE can't like DmC dante and DMC dante or else we're hypocrites.

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
Dude chill the f*** out...seriously! you blow this out of f****** proportion! Just because YOU don't like Dante does not mean he's a **** character...I like them BOTH EQUALLY! Many people do...you CAN'T FORCE people to choose that. And you most certainly may NOT call me or anyone else on this forum a hypocrite without looking at yourself. You have taken this discussion to another level CoolDemon. NT was TOLD by CAPCOM to make Dante this way and do this game, they did not say "ooh let's make this game like DMC because we're unoriginal"...Capcom said "hey you have skills and we want them for our game. We want to give the series new life". STOP PUTTING THIS ON NINJA THEORY! THIS ENTIRE GAME IS A COLLABORATION! AND STOP MAKING PEOPLE CHOOSE, THAT'S JUST STUPID!

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
....there are so many things wrong with this statement i don't know where to begin. first of all who are you to say we fans can't be a fan of both DMC dante and DmC dante, because last i checked we can! i am a fan of BOTH dantes. i like DMC dante more than DmC dante at the moment, because i haven't gotten to play as DmC dante and see what he's like. nobody has to pick a dante. i find it offensive that you are calling people hypocrites just because you don't like both dantes and other people do, myself included. everyone on this forum understands that YOU don't like DmC dante, or DmC in general, but you don't have the right to say WE can't like DmC dante and DMC dante or else we're hypocrites.
I don´t need to like two Dantes. There is only one Dante. And if your waiting to have DmC Dante to convince you that hes more cool, then the moment you like him more is the moment your fan of him. And making DMC Dante your second choice of like is pretty much as good as not being a fan of him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom