• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Devil Breaker might Break Nero's combat

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Ha see what I did there:wink:!?

But seriously while people are being upset about the lack of a dedicated dodge button, apparent lack of any new moves for Red Queen, the fact the game resembles DMC more than DmC I've noticed something potentially far worse that those.

I've noticed that we cant change our Devil Breakers as free or on the fly like we could weapons and styles in previous games. The only way that has been shown and confirmed to switch Devil Breakers if one breaks it goes to the next Devil Breaker on the line up or you pick up one from the stage and he goes that DB you picked up.

A Devil Breaker only breaks when you get hit while using or charging one, if you perform their Break Age attacks, or you perform a Break Away move. Meaning the only way to use another DB is to willingly destroy one of them. So if I want to swap to another Devil Breaker (because each are different and have unique functions) to mix up the gameplay and my combos I have to destroy one and lower my DB count (which as of right now is a ludicrously low 4 DB's and this isn't 4 DBs per arm no its only 4 DBs you can use or break at max) or stop the flow of combat to pick up another Devil Breaker. Break one you have 3 and break all 3 you have none and the combat reduces itself to less than what Nero was capable of in DMC4 or about the same (Just Red Queen w/ the Exceed System, Blue Rose, and a Grappling Hook). In one of the gameplay demos a player was able to known down Goliath but he needed to use the Buster Arm to perform the Buster attack on the downed Goliath so he blew up one arm to use the Buster Arm essentially lowering his combat moveset just so he could use another weapon to make the best out of the combat. This is basically if we want to switch to one of Dante's Devil Arms or guns he has to toss one away to use the next.....................................and pick up a new one later.

I don't mind the idea of having limited Devil Breaker arms and them breaking during combat. It prevents spamming over powered and badass moves and have the player play more carefully and get good at the system rather rely on cheap tactics *cough*JudgementCutEnd*cough* and spamming. But you should run out of Devil Breakers as punishment of playing carelessly and not have it be the dominate feature of the game. It's almost like they designed this to make sure we always break our arms. This is highly restrictive and stifles player/combat freedom something Devil May Cry has always pride itself on. Plus if this is the only (so far) new feature to Nero's combat what is the point of its inclusion if we are heavily restricted in how we use it.

Worst even is during the interview with Matt and Itsuno and the Matt guy was talking about the DB system and he literally says "Itsuno-san thought it would be cool if during gameplay Nero's arm broke and he was like "sh*t" and had to pull out a new one. Like yeah man doesnt that soon cool?"

If I have to take Matt's word seriously and him not paraphrasing Itsuno's words and intents in a dumbass way (or intentionally hiding some details) Itsuno and the developers first intent of this combat system was to make a system where the arms always break and we have to scrap to get more and use them versus introducing a new combat system to expand an already barebones character to have more meat to him. But then again in the same interview DoorRug also says if we want to switch Devil Breakers we have to perform the Break Away to destroy a Devil Breaker to use another Devil Breaker.

It also doesn't make any sense in why Nero or any sane, logical person if they had a small number/finite limit of weapons why would they break it to use another instead of just dislocating the arm and attaching another one like a person whose IQ isn't below -69. Especially if Nero has to dislocate it first before he can use it as a bomb unless if Nico designed it that way (if that is the case that is the most impractical and inconvenient weapon I have ever seen in a while and why is she a genius again if that is the case).

It also gets worse as in you have no choice in how you use the arms either as there is a set chain of order. You lose one arm it goes to the next arm or you pick up another arm it automatically goes to that arm. What if I was comfortable using Gerbera and pick up Overture because I was low on DB arms and now I am forced to use Overture unless I break that one too just to go back to Gerbera which renders getting that DB arm pointless. Also it ruins flow of combat of having to get new DB arms in the middle of combat (although that could be a big appeal for pro play with collecting arms while being able to maintain combat flow....maybe). Also what if in another scenario I have to use a certain DB arm but that one is far up in the line up like I down Goliath or another boss and I want to perform a Buster but the Buster Arm is the 3rd or last in the set so I have to sacrifice 2 maybe 3 DB just to perform the move. Not only that I have to watch the Break Away animation play out too before I can use another DB arm so if I want to chain an Air Jocky into an aerial Buster I can't because the Break Away animation will have to come between that and the fact the Break Away is an attack of its own that will probably send the enemy flying meaning I can't use that combination. Also say I'm in a situation where Break Away is necessary I wont get the choice to determine which DB arm I want to sacrifice to perform the Break Away.

Not only that then what the FLYING FOOK will the d-pad and Right Trigger do? NOTHING!!! AGAIN!!!
I'm optimistically confident that everything else in the game will be amazing (and perhaps this gets remedy the more we get shown and maybe down the line with new additions to the gameplay where we dont have to destroy an arm to use another arm) and hopefully Dante and V doesn't have anything as nearly stupid as this poorly designed mechanic.

Itsuno says we should have the highest expectations because he claim they will smash it (even before this fact became known I had a hard time believing they could so I kept my expectations moderate because I have a feeling Itsuno's understanding of high expectations is less than what I perceive as high expectations) and they set out to make the best action game ever. I'm honestly having strong doubts about that if this restrictive f@*!ery is what he considers fun game design.

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever seen implemented in a Devil May Cry game and most action games. Dumber than color coded enemies, dumber the spinning tops, dumber than the dice game, and even dumber than instant kill QTEs *cough*cough*Bayonetta*cough*cough*

Hopefully my worries can be put to rest because Itsuno knows what he is doing or now that they're play testing people with brains and a sense of fun have the balls to tell Itsuno this system is whack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominus

I agree the devil breaking switching system is TERRIBLE as is. And all it would take is a simple fix by letting you switch to devil breakers with the d-pad. We need to voice our opinion on this ASAP otherwise I feel this topic will get lost in the weeds.

Itsuno please allow on the fly devil breaker switching with d-pad!

berto

I Saw the Devil
the Matt guy (with a highly obnoxious dude bro voice and a really punch-able face) was talking about the DB system and he literally says (obnoxious dude bro voice)
We have a rule stated above this thread. There will be no bashing of any of the developers tolerated here, be it Ninja Theory or Capcom. Refrain from doing that again.

Meaning the only way to use another DB is to willingly destroy one of them.
One of the people who played the demo said that they D-pad allowed you to switch between the DBs though it wasn't as straightforward as that, he said it needed calibration or something like that.

Dominus

One of the people who played the demo said that they D-pad allowed you to switch between the DBs though it wasn't as straightforward as that, he said it needed calibration or something like that.
I haven't heard this at all, can you cite your source? I'm skeptical....

berto

I Saw the Devil
I haven't heard this at all, can you cite your source? I'm skeptical....
It was on 4chan, the night when people started posting gameplay from the ground floor. One of the people there was answering questions from the ground floor. If that's not enough for you I got nothing else, you'll just have to wait till there is more to verify if it was true or not. It's only a matter of time.

ShiningTempest

Yeah so the entire robo arm is trash. This should not matter in the long run because when he gets his original DB back that should contain all the skills crammed into one.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yeah this whole breakable arm stuff never convinced me ever since it was announced. But...

One of the people who played the demo said that they D-pad allowed you to switch between the DBs

At least that's good news.

when he gets his original DB back

You're talking like that's a given. We don't know if he'll ever get it back. For all we know, the Devil Bringer may very well be gone forever.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Generally I would wait and see how it fares. So far this can get very annoying very quickly, but than again maybe this may add some kind of strategic impact to the combat. Though in my opinion it would be much, much better if they just added "jamming". Basically if you overuse arm, it gonna jamm and be unusable for some time. It would add strategic element without need to limit somebody completely. But, oh well. I'll wait till TGS and more information, but I still gonna have lot of fun with it. ;)
Also sorry, but I doubt many would be upset about "the fact the game resembles DMC more than DmC". It was already confirmed, that it builds upon DMC combat from get go.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
It was on 4chan, the night when people started posting gameplay from the ground floor. One of the people there was answering questions from the ground floor. If that's not enough for you I got nothing else, you'll just have to wait till there is more to verify if it was true or not. It's only a matter of time.

Very well we will just have to wait and see. On the bright side there are so many people (even the casual scrub lord journalists....like all of them) who are asking for effective and on the fly DB switching. In that one interview the moment the DB system was mention the interviewers IMMEDIATELY asked if on the fly DB switching was possible and Matt (kind of nervously) says yeah and later says we can switch DB by blowing up our arms. I feel this hints to the fact on the fly DB switching wasn't the intent (as no single shred or frame of gameplay actually shows Nero using multiple arms at once or in tandem with one another and even this concerned me during the first trailer). Everyone wants it. No everyone was expecting it. Its the one (and only) thing everyone who played the demo have issues or worries with. Ive seen a few journalist absolutely slam the game over it.

While I respect Itsuno and he is probably the best developer left at Capcom he too is prone to the occasional dumb idea. Dragon's Dogma being a good example. Great game......baffling game design decisions.

Hopefully we have A LOT and I mean A LOT of people who are becoming aware of the DB system as it is now and are not having it and plenty of taking to social media to express concern. Matt did say they were looking for feedback. They have 6 months so there should be plenty of time to implement proper DB switching especially if Team Ninja can alter a defense system people were complaining about in Nioh 2 months before release.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium

Any clarification on how it "needed calibration" at all? I would have assumed up and down (or left and right) would cycle through them, but what kind of calibration would even be necessary?

Erian1Mortal

Premium
D-Pad is marked as "unused" in the options menu.
Wich means there might be a use for it later on, otherwise the button wouldn't be mentioned (like in DMC4), that's my guess at least.

Overall the more I think about it, the less I'm really worried about the system. If difficulty doesn't affect the amount of Devil Breakers you can pick up and if the ones you find in the level are only the ones you equip at the start of the mission, then it might even be a non-problem.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really have a problem with the arms breaking. Maybe its due to the fact that back in DMC4, I didn't really rely too much on the Devil Bringer unless I needed it to get from place to place or close the distance between enemies. Plus with the time I've spent in DmC, the grappling mechanic will be easy to get use to. Plus, I'm not combo MAD crazy so I don't try to do a bunch of crazy stunts like most combo players would. I just play Devil May Cry as is.

With each arm, a new technique to use but if you rely on it, it breaks. Sounds pretty strategic to me.

My only real concern is the fact that you can't switch Devil Breakers on the fly. I feel that's a disservice to gameplay. And if there are enemies that require certain Devil Breakers to defeat them, then that only makes things even more troublesome as you need to break one arm to use the other. Hopefully that won't be something that sticks for the final game.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
My only real concern is the fact that you can't switch Devil Breakers on the fly. I feel that's a disservice to gameplay. And if there are enemies that require certain Devil Breakers to defeat them, then that only makes things even more troublesome as you need to break one arm to use the other. Hopefully that won't be something that sticks for the final game.

That is the main (actually ONLY) concern here. I wont repeat myself (just read my first post if you haven't already) but this breaking system as it is has SOOOOOO much flaws and it baffles me if this is the direction they would go with it.

Apparently they got asked this a lot of Twitter and confirmed its here to stay.......oh boy......if that is true......damn I was hoping to get into Nero but this might ruin it for me. Some idio...I mean blinded fanboys keep insisting this might work out and we should trust Itsuno and co.

I'm like nah man. I don't see this working out at all (this is developer ignorance and arrogance at a high degree) if this is the case. It might even be worst than DMC4 where far less people use Nero in the meta-game because of this system. Which is a crying shame because he IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE MAIN CHARACTER!

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
That is the main (actually ONLY) concern here. I wont repeat myself (just read my first post if you haven't already) but this breaking system as it is has SOOOOOO much flaws and it baffles me if this is the direction they would go with it.
The only flaw I see is if I were a heavy combo MAD expert and I tried using the arms in combos only for them to break and mess up the flow. But I think if combo MAD expects are as good as they seem to be, they'll find a way around it.

Apparently they got asked this a lot of Twitter and confirmed its here to stay.......oh boy......if that is true......damn I was hoping to get into Nero but this might ruin it for me. Some idio...I mean blinded fanboys keep insisting this might work out and we should trust Itsuno and co.
I don't trust anything from Capcom; Itsuno or otherwise. We'll just have to play the game for ourselves to see what it looks/feels like.

I'm like nah man. I don't see this working out at all (this is developer ignorance and arrogance at a high degree) if this is the case. It might even be worst than DMC4 where far less people use Nero in the meta-game because of this system. Which is a crying shame because he IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE MAIN CHARACTER!
I didn't really play as Nero all the much due to his swordplay movements looking so ugly and his appearance didn't catch my attention. Not because of the system.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Matt (kind of nervously) says yeah and later says we can switch DB by blowing up our arms.
Perhaps we should rephrase it to 'can you cycle through them' rather than switch.

Any clarification on how it "needed calibration" at all? I would have assumed up and down (or left and right) would cycle through them, but what kind of calibration would even be necessary?
'fraid not. There is another event at the end of the month, Pax West, and DMC5 will be playable there. We should try to keep our ears to the ground and see if anyone tried it or ask for attendees to try it.

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really have a problem with the arms breaking.
I'll tell you once I actually play the game. I'm undecided on that one.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, I think the concern about not being able to cycle/choose your Devil Breaker should be held with some reticence. Simply because a button says "unused" in a demo's key map doesn't necessarily mean it's indicative of the final product. We might be able to cycle with the d-pad in the full release, or perhaps there's even an ability we can purchase with Red Orbs that gives us the option of selecting Breakers, similar to having to buy Enemy Step and other common abilities. Who knows.

Like, in the end, what I'm saying is don't turn into gigantic babies like when DmC was in development. People consistently blew different elements out of proportion that were yet to be finalized. People got up their own asses about rumors regarding dial-a-combo and overheating guns, and they proved to be false, so...like...be concerned, but also make sure your membership to the Waitensee tribe is renewed.

DarkSlayerVergil

Well, I think the concern about not being able to cycle/choose your Devil Breaker should be held with some reticence. Simply because a button says "unused" in a demo's key map doesn't necessarily mean it's indicative of the final product. We might be able to cycle with the d-pad in the full release, or perhaps there's even an ability we can purchase with Red Orbs that gives us the option of selecting Breakers, similar to having to buy Enemy Step and other common abilities. Who knows.

Like, in the end, what I'm saying is don't turn into gigantic babies like when DmC was in development. People consistently blew different elements out of proportion that were yet to be finalized. People got up their own asses about rumors regarding dial-a-combo and overheating guns, and they proved to be false, so...like...be concerned, but also make sure your membership to the Waitensee tribe is renewed.
This right here, like I'm not to fond of how the devil breaker mechanics are being presented so far but we got like 8 more months until release. No need to for fans to start tantrums over it.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Right. Plus, after the garbage they dealt with when DmC was being made, people goddamn owe it to Capcom and Itsuno to be on their best behavior. We're getting DMC5, don't be a schmuck.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
People don't "own" anybody anything. They either like it or don't. So far I'm not fond of mechanics but I just wait and see how it plays.

Top Bottom