• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Suicide Squad reviews.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Checking in to defend movie critics.
They have an awesome job where they get paid to watch a movie and evaluate it. There is something wrong when people take the average critic score as the be all and end all. I don't think it's any single critics fault and I don't think it's Roger Eberts fault.

Blame sites that collect critic scores and lump them all together as if the average critic score represents how good it is. It doesn't even. Then, blame a world where ratings like those carry water. Don't see any movie because a critic said it was good or bad. Ever.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
Checking in to defend movie critics.
They have an awesome job where they get paid to watch a movie and evaluate it. There is something wrong when people take the average critic score as the be all and end all. I don't think it's any single critics fault and I don't think it's Roger Eberts fault.

Blame sites that collect critic scores and lump them all together as if the average critic score represents how good it is. It doesn't even. Then, blame a world where ratings like those carry water. Don't see any movie because a critic said it was good or bad. Ever.
Preach!

We, the fans - we are alcoholics. You can serve us anything ranging from a Cabernet to a 50 dollar bottle of wine you bought from your local liquor store, and we'll chug it down. We might notice the difference in quality, but we'll enjoy it nonetheless.

Critics - they're wine tasters. They sniff it, they stirr it, their jobs are to analyze every aspect of it. They're blind, as in they don't know or care about the source material's history or how much it matters to the fans. They're there to watch a technically passable movie.

We don't have to agree with any of them, because we hit the movies to get entertained (drunk) not dissect them.

While I've found most recent DC films disappointing (with the exception of Man of Steel, who I thought was way more superior than BvS in a technical level), I have found all of them entertaining for the most part. It's only when I began to delve too much into them that I could see the flaws.

I'm not saying they can't be wrong though. Actually, I'm hoping they are.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
What has surprised me is that IMDb have it rated as pg-13 when I figured it ought to rank on a more mature level?

Still want to see it - I mean, it can't be as bafflingly mental as batman v superman, right? Right?!?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
What has surprised me is that IMDb have it rated as pg-13 when I figured it ought to rank on a more mature level?

Still want to see it - I mean, it can't be as bafflingly mental as batman v superman, right? Right?!?
Eh, it's not like the comics ever went beyond PG-13 material so.

And trust me, it isn't as bad as the dumpster fire that was Batman v. Superman, but it also isn't very good either. It's just (if I'm being generous) alright.

I have a pretty in depth review thread posted if you're interested in checking it out.

Teal

I have a pretty in depth review thread posted if you're interested in checking it out.

Shoot! I'm interested to absorb everything about the movie before I inevitably watch it for myself. And I don't give a crap about spoilers.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'm interested to absorb everything about the movie before I inevitably watch it for myself.

I never do that. I don't wanna run the risk of going in the theater with prejudices (positive or negative) about the movie.

Teal

I never do that. I don't wanna run the risk of going in the theater with prejudices (positive or negative) about the movie.
Surprisingly, that has never consciously affected me. If I had a nickel for everytime someone told me The Amazing Spiderman 2 sucks and I shouldn't pay to watch it, I'd have enough cash to hit the theaters at least three more times before the movie's theatrical run ended.

Ok, if you don't care about spoilers then you should know, Jared Leto's Joker is SO twisted, he played the version of Mortal Kombat for the Genesis. The one with the red blood.

I find it funny how Batfleck in Batman v Superman did more messed up stuff than some members of his own Rogues gallery. Not detrimental for my enjoyment of Suicide Squad, just funny. Shows the consequences of having a trigger happy Batman and still trying to pass him off as a legit superhero.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Saw it.

10/10.
No one will ever take your opinion on these films seriously, because you're less about pointing out the flaws in it, and just have a thing for having the unpopular opinion. You see for the most part people criticizing it, so you're gonna act like it's great just to spite those.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
so my friend prefer BvS more than suicide squad, we were talking about script and story telling.. i find that weird..

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I'm just confused as to which Suicide Squad thread we should use to discuss the movie. All these threads for the same movie are redundant.

Teal

I'm just confused as to which Suicide Squad thread we should use to discuss the movie. All these threads for the same movie are redundant.
Is there another? All I've seen so far were threads concerning a single aspect of the film.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Is there another?

Two more, actually.

The general one: http://devilmaycry.org/threads/suicide-squad-movie.20312/

And Chancey's: http://devilmaycry.org/threads/suicide-squad-review.21559/

(I don't get what you mean when you say those threads are about "a single aspect of the film".)

I don't know why two more threads had to be created when what's supposed to be discussed here and in Chancey's thread could have very well been discussed in the film's own thread. It's not like discussing reviews about Suicide Squad (or posting our own) would have been off topic in a Suicide Squad thread: http://devilmaycry.org/threads/suicide-squad-movie.20312/

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I just made my review its own post because I just wanted to have it separate from everything else. It's a rather long post. So instead of having something of that length just hanging around randomly in a slew of other post, just give it its own space.

I actually was thinking about making a Spoiler Talk thread specifically discussing my issues with the film.

But I can also totally make a thread talking about the reality of Harley and Joker's relationship throughout the years, and point out why Suicide Squad gets it entirely wrong with a portrayal that's more in bad taste than anything.

Hooooo boy did that p!ss me off in that movie.

Teal

Two more, actually.

The general one: http://devilmaycry.org/threads/suicide-squad-movie.20312/

And Chancey's: http://devilmaycry.org/threads/suicide-squad-review.21559/

(I don't get what you mean when you say those threads are about "a single aspect of the film".)

I don't know why two more threads had to be created when what's supposed to be discussed here and in Chancey's thread could have very well been discussed in the film's own thread. It's not like discussing reviews about Suicide Squad (or posting our own) would have been off topic in a Suicide Squad thread: http://devilmaycry.org/threads/suicide-squad-movie.20312/
Oh, I actually didn't know about the general one. Sorry.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
Eh, it's just a difference of opinion. No need to think too hard about it.

yeah, it's just that as much as i like BvS, but the script was kind of a scrambled egg.. like not possible for a next installment could top that wrecked part.. and this friend of mine is a movieholic so to say, and i find that really surprising..

and now all i can think of is what the hell went wrong DC?

Teal

@Joker, no. Just no.

Suicide Squad came at a time where superhero movies are trending MASSIVELY, especially different types of superhero movies like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy. Warner Bros. could have thrown a scene where The Joker suppresses a dumpster fire by taking a sh!t on top of it and it still would have made a lot of money. I watched both films and while I found Suicide Squad more entertaining (never was into the older Ghostbusters and I have no reason to be into the new ones), Ghostbusters was miles ahead of it in a technical level.

Are the guys behind Ghostbusters right when they attribute their lack of success to angry geeks? Maybe, maybe not. I honestly can't care less.

Did Suicide Squad silence them? No, not at all. Out of all the female characters he mentioned, Viola Davis is the only one that meets traditional feminist standards. Harley is overly sexualized and is reliant on her pimp daddy. Katana barely gets any screentime. Enchantress is the worst thing about the movie as a whole. Yes, the movie does have racial diversity, but those racially diverse characters are reduced to stereotypes. Killer Croc is one of the most interesting villains in the comics. He's a tragic character, someone you should feel bad. Here, though, he takes the backseat and acts like a ghetto thug.

I'm not saying that the movie was bad. It was okay, miles ahead of Batman v Superman but stumbling behind Man of Steel, and definitely not the breakout movie DC needed. But I wouldn't even try adding political correctness as to why the movie was a success, because that's not one of the reasons.

Top Bottom