• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Suicide Squad reviews.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Ummm...
I'm going to see this because I loved every one of the DC movies so far... Granted there are only 2 but I loved both and they both got s*** on but it didn't change my views of the movies. I'll judge for myself but I was never a fan of SuicSqud so I'll go on a matine.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
Yeah, I also have hopes for this film, critics be damned. People kept telling me that critics have affected my view of Batman v Superman, but that was never the case. The quality of that flick affected my view of it, starting from the promotional material to the movie itself. Suicide Squad on the other hand - I like what I've seen so far and I'm gonna watch it and give my own criticisms on it, free of bias or any other negative property that's plaguing the respective Marvel/DC fanbases.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
just saw the movie. it has it's highs and it's lows. i can certainly understand why there are so many people who are over the moon about it, and i can see why there are some people who aren't fans of it. personally, i think it's alright. i'm more irritated with the fact that the joker subplot was hacked to the bone because (and i can confirm this. a friend of mine was privilaged enough to see the movie at a test screening) a majority of the joker scenes dealt with joker abusing harley. and it ruffled some feathers so it was cut from the film. overall...it's a fun film. miles better than BvS. not as good as MoS imo. but it was a lot of fun, and i think it's hilarious how batman behaves more like batman in 30 seconds of this movie than he did in all of BvS. and i understand the story reason for why bruce is the way he is in BvS, but i just thought it was funny. also, flash makes an appearance (which isn't a spoiler btw. ezra miller's name was released to be on the cast list), and his cameo washed away all my doubts of him playing barry allen. and the suit looks boss as hell too.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Okay so I don't want to type out a whole review on this, but here's a "like/dislike" quick review since I know not many will watch the video I post.

• Story stuck close to source material.
  • Definitive Harley Quinn (second to the animated series)
  • Deadshot was cool
  • El Diablo had a lot going on for him.
  • Killer Croc in general (favorite character before the movie came out)
  • Katana. Just Katana in general.
  • Amanda Waller really was "The Wall."
  • A special someone makes a "quick" appearance
  • Batman as the shadow hunting bad guys
  • The comedy
  • The final battle
  • The music was probably the best choices I've ever seen in a CBM (since Iron Man using AC/DC, and such)
  • Easter eggs
  • Joker's outfits
  • I enjoyed Jared's preformance as Joker
DISLIKE
  • Some scenes were cut badly (only near the beginning. Rest of the movie was fine to me)
  • Not a lot of Joker in it
  • Jared Leto just didn't sell me as the Joker. (I enjoyed the performance, but just didn't see Jared as Joker.)
  • Killer Croc didn't say a lot. I knew he wouldn't but still.
  • Only about four scenes with Batman/Bruce Wayne. (again, I expected that but still...)
  • Scott Eastwood was being hyped as something big, but really wasn't.
  • Critics once again being full of ****. (apparently one didn't like Katana being Japanese and being a samurai, another said Deadshot being black and using a gun was bad)

The creator of that petition says its purpose is not to shut down RT (they can't do that, no matter how many people sign it) but to show that people don't care about critics. Let me be the first to say that is truly retarded.

*Doesn't care about critics*
*makes petition about critics*

To person who made petition:
tumblr_inline_mo0w2otvu71qz4rgp.gif

Teal

Okay so I don't want to type out a whole review on this, but here's a "like/dislike" quick review since I know not many will watch the video I post.

• Story stuck close to source material.
  • Definitive Harley Quinn (second to the animated series)
  • Deadshot was cool
  • El Diablo had a lot going on for him.
  • Killer Croc in general (favorite character before the movie came out)
  • Katana. Just Katana in general.
  • Amanda Waller really was "The Wall."
  • A special someone makes a "quick" appearance
  • Batman as the shadow hunting bad guys
  • The comedy
  • The final battle
  • The music was probably the best choices I've ever seen in a CBM (since Iron Man using AC/DC, and such)
  • Easter eggs
  • Joker's outfits
  • I enjoyed Jared's preformance as Joker
DISLIKE
  • Some scenes were cut badly (only near the beginning. Rest of the movie was fine to me)
  • Jared Leto just didn't sell me as the Joker. (I enjoyed the performance, but just didn't see Jared as Joker.)
  • Only about four scenes with Batman/Bruce Wayne. (again, I expected that but still...)
  • Critics once again being full of ****.
Where do you rank it in the DCEU movie roster so far?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
DISLIKE
  • Critics once again being full of ****. (apparently one didn't like Katana being Japanese and being a samurai, another said Deadshot being black and using a gun was bad)

*Doesn't care about critics*
*makes petition about critics*

what, that's it the bad part? then the movie is far from being bad, and i randomly viewed youtube reviews and again they're all positive.. until i see the movie i could say the critics just went nutjob this time

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
what, that's it the bad part? then the movie is far from being bad, and i randomly viewed youtube reviews and again they're all positive.. until i see the movie i could say the critics just went nutjob this time

I will say it's not for everyone but those specific reviews about Katana and deadshot were the most dumbest ones to me.

Where do you rank it in the DCEU movie roster so far?

I rank it like this;
  1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)
  2. Suicide Squad
  3. Man of Steel
MoS just wasn't that good, but then again, I stopped liking Superman a long time ago due to him being too perfect in live action adaptations.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Did any of the scenes feel like reshoots?
only one scene felt like a reshoot. and it was an action scene with harley
so this is pre-BvS? and scott eastwood is really insignificant?
this is POST-BvS actually. and scott eastwood is just there to look pretty...he serves the plot in no way

i will say, i have a fanboy nitpick. and it's about captain boomerang. he does something in the end of the movie that i feel was out of character and it wasn't explained at all.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I got family coming over from out of state so unless I can convince them to go watch this movie with me I don't think I'll see it tonight.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Just saying, the best scene in this movie was when the Joker stepped out in to the rain and all his temporary tattoos started to wash off.

With that joke out of the way, let's get in to a real review about DC's latest endeavor in their cinematic universe, Suicide Squad.
tumblr_o18o6eE2Us1rxpq74o7_500.gif

So, my brother and I just got out of the theater, and we were both going in crossing our fingers being rather optimistic. We walked out thinking it was just......OK.

Let's say this right of the bat, Suicide Squad is definitely not the heavy hitter DC needs that will somehow prove they have what it takes to really compete with Marvel, but it's at least a step in the right direction. Compared to their first two outings, this one is actually watchable with quite a few things to appreciate, and even love.

I'm sure you all know the general plot, after Superman's appearance changed the world, Amanda Waller tries develops Task Force X, an emergency response team of more skilled individuals to take on meta-human threats.

This team is comprised of Deadshot, Harley Quinn, Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc, and El Diablo. (Yea, sure, Slipknot is also there but face it, you knew damn well he was dead on arrival and just expendable) The team is led by Rick Flag, a special forces operative to keep them in line, with Katana backing him up.
7d4bb0ec-ee9f-4043-83f6-3df10a550215.gif

First off, Will Smith's Deadshot is quite possibly the best character in the film. He's given more time than others to actually expand upon his character all to his benefit. Will Smith's charismatic acting makes him likable, and relatable. His one liners and joke actually hit, and do so at the right time.

It's fair to point out this movie is a little more lighthearted than previous endeavors and that's a good thing. Makes the films seem a lot more realistic, and the characters more human.

Now, you all know how big of a Harley Quinn fan I am, but Margot Robbie's Harley is just OK. Her heart is in the right place, but she also kind of really just doesn't feel like THE Harley Quinn. Watching the film, I couldn't help but feel that her scenes could have been improved to make her more Harley Quinn-ish. Granted, maybe Margot Robbie just needs some more time to get more in to the role, and she could improve over time, but this Harley portrayal is not the kind I was hoping for. It's not terrible by any means, but it's a rather shallow version of the character. Not to mention, some of her lines are....too cheesy.
tumblr_nrg0nwa9rY1qg0u4go4_500.gif

With Harley Quinn being a major player here, you know the Joker is here as well, but barely. The marketing for this film pushed him as if he was a big deal, but I swear just about every piece of footage you see in the trailers, is the ONLY footage he's in in the film. (actually even some footage in the trailer isn't in the film so) Maybe 7 minutes top is Joker related. And overall Jared Leto's Joker is tolerable. I feel as if I need to see more of him before I start really judging his performance.

The other characters, while interesting in their own right, aren't really given a lot of time to shine and just have small moments. Which seem a little unfair, but whatever. The villain is not really memorable either other than the look. She's there to fulfill her role as a capable world destroying threat, and that's about it. I imagine no one will be walking away really talking about her.

Ok, I've talked enough about the characters, so now I'm gonna get in to the overall quality of the film. The first act of this movie is quite stylized and are probably the best parts of the film. You get to be around these characters, and have their introductions. The soundtrack also compliments the scenes, and makes them kinda fun.

The second and third acts however, kinda just blur together because it's one giant city fight scene. And the editing once again here, feels kinda choppy. It was hard to put my finger on as while it is more coherent, my brother and I couldn't help feel scenes didn't flow together as they should. I seriously believe there were some scenes left on the cutting room floor probably because of the reshoots. And the city fight scene is what you expect, not as much character stuff as you want (the only highlight is the bar room scene which there should have had a little more of) but a lot of fighting against cannon fodder enemies. It's not as interesting or exciting as you might want it to be, even though it does keep you vaguely entertained.
ssgif13.gif

So, yea. Overall Suicide Squad i still a pretty flawed film with some plot holes, questionable design choices, and portrayals of characters that still leave you a little on the fence, but you can still have a bit of fun with this film. DC is heading down the right path, but just still needs to learn how to drive because they're swerving all over the place.

Critics are possibly giving this film a little more grief than deserved, but I still completely understand why it gets grief in the first place. DC needs a killer app, and this isn't it unfortunately.

A rather weak 3, out of 5.
New-Trailer-For-Suicide-Squad-Shows-Off-The-Joker-and-Batman.gif

Still thinking Wonder Woman looks legitimately great though, maybe that is the one DC needs.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I just got back from the movie and I had a blast.

The desert:
Margot Robbie is my beloved Harley in the flesh and if this is the kind of Harley I get to see in future DC movies then I am sold cause I adored every moment she was on screen and wanted more!

I was expecting Will Smith to just be Will Smith as Deadshot and he pretty much is, but he still managed to do a great job and I look forward to seeing more of him.

Jai Courtney has FINALLY found the role he was made for cause he was great as Captain Boomerang.

I liked Killer Croc but he could have used more lines and I liked Enchantress as well, don't know why, I just did.

Now for the damn veggies:

Leto as the Joker I'm not entirely sold on, he had his moments but I'm not sold yet, still he has an entire DC Extended Universe to improve.

I don't want nor like the HarleyxJoker relationship they're showing here, this time it's as if Joker actually shares the feelings with Harley and it just goes against everything I've seen about their relationship over the years and that was Harley is obsessed with Joker while Joker is obsessed with Batman, now Joker seems to be more focused on Harley and it makes me wonder about how much of a damn he cares about Batman.
Still I can only hope Harley cuts him loose soon and gets on to the partnership with Ivy.

Hmmmm... now that I think about it, a HarleyxIvy story with a jealous Joker chasing them does sound like a laugh.

I also agree with the 2nd half of the movie, it just seems off, not bad, but definitely choppy.

Overall I still enjoyed this movie very much and I'll happily buy the extended Blu Ray edition to see all the scenes that were cut from the movie.
This part in particular:
New-Trailer-For-Suicide-Squad-Shows-Off-The-Joker-and-Batman.gif

Just DC & Warner Bros need to back off and let the damn film makers do their jobs in the future.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, I liked it and had a blast.

Margo Wazhername was... good. She never broke me out of the idea that she was Harley but her jokes were a lot of miss and a few hits. I didn't go in it for the laughs but I hoped for more.

Teal

Angry Joe thought it was awesome. Hm. :cautious:

Most of YouTube critics have liked the film so far. Kevin Smith, Jeremy Jahns, Mr Sunday Movies - almost all of the opinions that actually matter. One notable negative review came from Chris Stuckmann, but while I respect him as a critic, I don't always necessarily agree with him. Doesn't help that some of the points he brings up are purely subjective and reliant on his own enjoyment of the film.

That is why I'm stoked to watch it.

All that said, Angry Joe sort of lost credibility for me when he called Holland's Spiderman "too young". I wanted to hit him with the first issue of The Amazing Spiderman across his angry face.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think Kevin Smith made a good observation that maybe this movie is for the young. Maybe there's an age limit on it. I've seen that happen a few times.

Edit:
She liked it, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom