• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sparda's Story

A manga, anime, and/or game devoted to Sparda?

• Total voters

Demonic Skeleton

Just a Devil Hunter.
I was thinking how we all know the story of Sparda, Eva and Mundus, but we've never actually seen it. Wouldn't it be great to devote a manga, anime, or game to the story how Sparda started to rebel, met Eva and fell in love (maybe include the death of them and what happens to Dante & Vergil).

What do you guys think, which would you prefer, would it work, what would you have included?etc.

Viper

Premium
I voted hell yeah, but I'm kinda not fully into it. It would be nice to get clarification, but the magic of the myth would be destroyed. It would be so epic to see Sparda and Eva in action, but it would break my heart to see them die.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Stories where you already know the outcome are difficult to pull off because you have to keep the story interesting while not deviating from what has already been established. I don't think there is much left in Sparda's backstory that hasn't already been alluded to, and for that reason i wouldn't care to see it.

Also i know this is all hypothetical but if they were to do a tie in manga, it would have been better to have done it instead of the DMC3 manga since that really didn't add anything new. But any chance of a Sparda story now is kinda low.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I've been saying this for years. Hell yes, DO IT!

It's got massive potential. The level designers could go crazy portraying Hell with its different planes.

Artists can also go crazy with enemy design, and just imagine the bosses and Devil Arms. The most powerful demons of Hell at Mundus's side to stand against Sparda who singlehandedly rebels against his own kind? That would be epic to actually see, instead of just being told by voiceovers.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Not for me, sorry. I'm with the idea that it takes away the mystery he's so elegantly shrouded in.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
What mystery? We know the story. It's just that we never actually saw it or played it.

Well that isn't strictly true, my friend. I mean yeah we know mostly of his past and his feats, but in some very vague manner. I think it'd be better to maintain his legacy and his memory, as an oppose to actually playing it out. That's just me though.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Im cool with exploring Sparda's past but im skeptical of their ability to pull it off so im not in a rush to see it.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
One issue with the Legendary Dark Knight is that he is just that: a legend. He's like The Boss from MGS. Sure, it would be great to see more of them, but knowing more about them demythifies them and runs the risk of damaging their image in the fans' eyes. It really is true that no version of this story is as compelling as the one you have in your head.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
One issue with the Legendary Dark Knight is that he is just that: a legend. He's like The Boss from MGS. Sure, it would be great to see more of them, but knowing more about them demythifies them and runs the risk of damaging their image in the fans' eyes.

Not necessarily. In the Witcher lore, Geralt of Rivia himself is considered a legend. Yet he's got a whole series of books and 3 games about him. And that doesn't make him any less interesting.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
What I mean is, Sparda is a legend to the player just as much as to the characters. Geralt is not a legend to the player because they've always been following his story. If characters in DMC started revering Dante as a legend, it would be much the same since Dante is our avatar in the world of DMC. But Sparda is someone we've only ever heard of. We don't even know if his human form is canon or just there for the DT mechanic. That's what I meant.

Viper

Premium
You know, I think the right question in this case is - could Capcom make a story that holds up to the legend?
We've seen how they like to cheapen their characters, I love the series and will defend it to my death, but fact stands that any attempt at giving characters more depth fell short, cause fanservice was higher on their list of priorities.

(oops, so much for me staying away from DMC...)

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I voted Hell Yeah!, but after reading some of the posts I have to agree. It's kinda the same argument when they decided to revel Wolverine's origin story (the comic version). Now, personally the Origins story is one of my favorite Wolverine stories, but beforehand, many argued beforehand that it would ruin the mystery of the character.
That could happen with Sparda if the game's not done right,plus come on. They would have to make a character as awesome as Dante and Vergil combined.
I still like the idea of it, but it could backfire big time.

Vergil Crosse

You know, I think the right question in this case is - could Capcom make a story that holds up to the legend?

This. Exactly.

I voted hell yeah, but I'm kinda not fully into it. It would be nice to get clarification, but the magic of the myth would be destroyed. It would be so epic to see Sparda and Eva in action, but it would break my heart to see them die.

And this is what would make it such a good game if the previous quote was done right. As my English professor used to say "A good story will make the reader laugh and break their ****ing heart.". Done correctly, DMC - The Legendary Dark Knight would be an epic game, full of action (DMC style, who can argue with that?!), love (lets face it, a good story has a love arc usually), and a tragic ending (while not always happy, it does give birth to (the) legends that come after)

berto

I Saw the Devil
I concur. The idea that they could make it work doesn't sound genuine to me. Looking at how Capcom has been handling DMC's narrative, or their other franchises, for that matter, I don't think they would be able to pull off a Sparda story, much less THE Sparda story.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
But we know Sparda's rebellion story already. How can you be disappointed by something you already know? The only difference would be that you'll get to see it happening on screen instead of just reading about it on a wall of text, a la DMC1.

The potential of a Sparda game, as I see it, does not lie in the story, but in everything else.

Level design

It's freaking Hell. How much of it have we seen in DMC? Yeah, very little. It would be awesome to visit Hell for an entire game, with its different planes.

Enemy design

Sparda faced and defeated the entirety of Mundus's army. He got to meet face to face the elite of what Hell had to offer. The most powerful demons of their time. Tons of potential in enemy design, especially bosses.

Combat system and weapons

Sparda was (and is) the ultimate badass in Devil May Cry. He was a master swordsman, the most skilled of all, and he used both a broadsword and Yamato as weapons, as well as firearms. He could be the perfect blend between Dante's and Vergil's style of fighting, or they could come up with his own style, maybe more focused on his demonic powers, being a full demon instead of a halfbreed.

Also, Sparda's multi-forms. They could make that instead of Dante's Styles, he's got multiple forms of Sparda to use, I dunno, just throwing ideas here, I'm no game designer.

And, they could make some badass Devil Arms to use when bosses are defeated. Very demonic looking ones.

And of course, I finally want to actually see the massive final clash against Mundus the Demon King himself.

If this game was announced, I would lose my **** completely. I would actually be more excited for this than for DMC5.

Viper

Premium
@Foxtrot94
You are constantly focused on what could be done with gameplay, while people are indeed worried how would they handle his personality and story in general. Cause we actually don't know the whole story, we know the bare legend. The danger with legends is that you need a damn good writer and a damn good director that will make a final product that can stand its own against people's high expectations.
Capcom is not one of those companies I can say fills me with hope.

Top Bottom