• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So we've been had.....sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.

moseslmpg

Asmodaius;277361 said:
Indeed. Those who doesn't like this reboot keep making it seem like that those who -do- like it are now hating the past games and the past Dante's look. I don't know about the others, but it is not the case for me at least.
For some others, it is apparently the case. And the willingness of people like you to just abandon the old series is more disturbing than the fact that you place so much faith in the new one.
I too would like to see a continuation of the past series, as I have mentioned MANY times before on this forum, however, it is not going to happen in the near future if at all.
That doesn't make sense. They are not going to be able to maintain a 4 team collaboration for an entire series of DINO, so they will have to have something to fall back on. And they aren't going to abandon such a lucrative IP either, because unlike DINO, it actually has some recognizable features that make it unique.
However, I find it quite unreasonable that some people think that because it is a reboot equals that it is going to suck. It won't be like playing the past games, that much I agree with, but it still doesn't mean that DmC will turn out to be a bad game. With that said, it could definately turn out to be a complete flop, but in reality, none of us knows how it will turn out! So by pre-judging it like that is just idiotic in my opinion.
I agree with the first part, but I think you need to consider the paradox here. Some fans want it to suck so they can go back to the real series. Some fans want it to succeed so that Capcom doesn't drop DMC altogether. It is between a rock and a hard place. And for many of us, whether the game turns out good or bad is just as irrelevant if GOW:pSP turns out good or bad; in both cases, it won't be DMC.

As for your last statement, that is plain hypocritical. Prejudice is how humans operate and how we survive. We cannot be amnesiac phenomenologists, because then we would just go into everything naively and die because of stupidity. To illustrate: Have you ever smashed your genitals with a hammer? I'm guessing not, but I'm also guessing you don't need to try it to assume it will hurt, even though you have no actual confirmation that it will hurt.

You know what saves you? Prejudice. In some situations where the contexts are similar, prejudice is a useful tool and should not be disparaged. For gamers who have been gaming for a while, it is easy to tell how a game will turn out just from trailers and such like, although it is not foolproof of course. But it is not something that exists in potentia in a vacuum.

moseslmpg

Asmodaius;277405 said:
If you wish to believe that, then alright. That's your choice. I'm not that cynical though.
I think the word you were looking for was realistic and tempered, as opposed to blindly hopeful and desperately defensive.

But as a "cynic," you can be assured that I will continue to bark at both the haters and the supporters until the truth of the matters makes itself known.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Aren't you going a bit overboard Moses? First of all...we aren't fighting for anything worth fighting for, it's DMC. Yeah sure it has a big name but hell, you don't have to tell Asmodaius where his loyalties lie for DMC. He likes the orginal canon and is looking forward to the new one...I don't think he's abandoning the original canon for this one.

What's wrong with being optomistic for a new game? I don't see a reason to bash him for that either. Hell, im optomistic as well that it will turn out great, are you goin' to bash me for my opinion? Unlike some people, we (supporters of the new DMC) can still play the old series without it affecting our overall opinions of how this new DMC 'effects' the original canon. We still see it as the DMC we know and love and still make room for a new addition.

moseslmpg

Faustinasa;277604 said:
Aren't you going a bit overboard Moses? First of all...we aren't fighting for anything worth fighting for, it's DMC. Yeah sure it has a big name but hell, you don't have to tell Asmodaius where his loyalties lie for DMC. He likes the orginal canon and is looking forward to the new one...I don't think he's abandoning the original canon for this one.
No, I'm not, because I didn't do anything but clarify my position. And you have basically proved my point by disparaging the importance of the series, by saying it isn't worth fighting for. If the series doesn't mean that much to you, then I won't hold it against you and we don't need to argue about the new series. It certainly does appear that Asmo and others are abandoning the old series though, seeing it off without shedding so much as a tear, with some people going so far as to say "good riddance."
[/quote]What's wrong with being optomistic for a new game? I don't see a reason to bash him for that either. Hell, im optomistic as well that it will turn out great, are you goin' to bash me for my opinion? Unlike some people, we (supporters of the new DMC) can still play the old series without it affecting our overall opinions of how this new DMC 'effects' the original canon. We still see it as the DMC we know and love and still make room for a new addition.[/QUOTE]There's nothing wrong with being optimistic until you start disparaging the pessimists and neutral parties, which tends to happen among the "optimists" because the latter parties represent a facet of reality they are purposefully trying to avoid with their optimism. I think it is good that you are optimistic, but don't shove it in my face and tell me I have to be optimistic because optimism is the least valid response here; it is not based on evidence but hope.

As long as you don't make definitive statements that can be challenged (e.g. this is the same Dante, this is the new direction of DMC, they won't go back to the old series, haters/neutrals are misguided/immature, prejudging the game is idiotic, etc.), then no one will challenge them.

BTW, I'd like to point out I didn't say any of the things you attributed to me in my post to Asmo. I think you're projecting some imagined position on to me. I'm a neutral, not a hater or a supporter.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
My sincerest apologies then, I didn't mean to put some imagined position on you. It was unfair to say something that didn't happen.

Asmodaius

In my opinion, crying over this reboot is overreacting. It's a pretty strong reaction for something that is made for people's entertainment, especially when their lives aren't directly involved with the production of the game, and by that I mean those who have a part in making it.
For example, I can understand if the man who created the franchise would feel personally assaulted when they replaced him with someone else to make the sequal. But as a gamer, I indeed believe it is overreacting.

Also, it is not only the optimists who disparages others, I have been called "not a true fan" by a hater, because I wasn't hating on the reboot. And the fact that you believe I have abandoned the old series actually hurt me when I have more than once tried to explain that I indeed haven't. Then you can choose to believe that or not, that's up to you, but don't make your opinion into a fact.
However, I agree that it was wrong of me to point fingers like I did and also calling you a cynical, and for that I apologize.

Also, you say you are a neutral party, but then you say that prejudice is a good tool to use... Do you have any prejudices towards this reboot? Do you have an opinion to express about it? Because then I'd actually like to hear it.

Legendary Darkslayer

The Roguedemonhunter
^This kind of reaction is understandable if these games take up a portion of your life and mean something to you. Some of the people here grew up with these games, and seeing them turned upside down on like this makes people upset. It would be like if your favorite book series or TV Show was suddenly rebooted when it didn't need it. We do devote at least some of our time to these games, so it does mean something when it gets rebooted. If you have ever had a favorite TV show or movie series, just imagine that being just being thrown out the window. Just like a TV show or comic or book series, people get attached to the characters, atmosphere, and in this case gameplay, now those things people liked are either getting changed or going away completely.

I know it's hard to understand if you like the reboot, because you see the good in it, but while others mark this new game as a beginning, others will mark it as an ending/ruining.

Also that sucks that you're being called 'not a true fan' just for not liking the game, I'm sorry you have to go through that.

Asmodaius

Legendary Darkslayer;277633 said:
^This kind of reaction is understandable if these games take up a portion of your life and mean something to you. Some of the people here grew up with these games, and seeing them turned upside down on like this makes people upset. It would be like if your favorite book series or TV Show was suddenly rebooted when it didn't need it. We do devote at least some of our time to these games, so it does mean something when it gets rebooted. If you have ever had a favorite TV show or movie series, just imagine that being just being thrown out the window. Just like a TV show or comic or book series, people get attached to the characters, atmosphere, and in this case gameplay, now those things people liked are either getting changed or going away completely.

I know it's hard to understand if you like the reboot, because you see the good in it, but while others mark this new game as a beginning, others will mark it as an ending/ruining.

Also that sucks that your're being called 'not a true fan' just for not liking the game, I'm sorry you have to go through that.

Thanks, I appreciate that. ^^

The thing is, I was excited when I saw the teaser trailer the first time and I wanted to learn more - that is how I found this forum - and I too have grown up with Devil May Cry. I was mid-teens when I saw it for the first time on the game shelves and I have been a fan of the series ever since. I even like DMC2! So according to some others, there's something wrong with me, I'm not a true fan, I have abandoned the past series... because I like what I've seen and heard about this reboot and I'm not on my knees crying my eyes out because of it.

Where are the rules of being a hardcore fan written? Does being a hardcore fan equal that you are so passionate about a game that you want to kill or die for it?
I honestly don't understand it...

Vampi

Asmodaius;277623 said:
In my opinion, crying over this reboot is overreacting. It's a pretty strong reaction for something that is made for people's entertainment, especially when their lives aren't directly involved with the production of the game, and by that I mean those who have a part in making it.

So i could say the same thing to you in a way. Why are you taking any post that is doubtful of this game so personally. You are in a DMC forum, where there's a passion for this game.

And our lives are involved in it. We've been with this series for 9 years. We've bought figurines, manga's, novels any sort of paraphernalia associated with this game. We've spent our time and money on it. Yes sum people are overreacting ,like you defending it all the time in every single threads and the majority of the Capcom Unity members. But there are sum who feel really betrayed about this since they've been devoted in talking specifically about this one game and hoping against hope that Capcom would heed their pleas. Maybe you're not as passionate at this series as you think you are. I'm not saying you're not a fan, but you're not as hardcore as sum others. And that's fine...

For example, I can understand if the man who created the franchise would feel personally assaulted when they replaced him with someone else to make the sequal. But as a gamer, I indeed believe it is overreacting.

So you're a gamer. You're not a hardcore DMC fan then (both aren't bad things i might say. Its just that one has more allegiance to the game then the other). Gamers go where the gameplay takes them. They don't care about the characters as much as a fan does. They only go to where the gameplay is good.

Also, it is not only the optimists who disparages others, I have been called "not a true fan" by a hater, because I wasn't hating on the reboot. And the fact that you believe I have abandoned the old series actually hurt me when I have more than once tried to explain that I indeed haven't. Then you can choose to believe that or not, that's up to you, but don't make your opinion into a fact.
However, I agree that it was wrong of me to point fingers like I did and also calling you a cynical, and for that I apologize.

I don't like those people as well who say "You're not a true fan" because sumtimes there facts are screwed up. But like i said, you replied saying "You're just a gamer and you think we're overreacting". That's sumthing a casual fan might say. Doesn't mean you aren't a fan of DMC...just not big enough by others standards.

The thing about you that strikes me as ignoring the past games is that you so easily accept this one, no questions asked. Its like you accept whatever Capcom throws at you, even when it looks so unnecessary and unfitting for the series. That strikes a serious doubt in other DMC fans minds.

Also i'm neutral about this game. I don't hate it but at the same time i can't seem to like it either since it looks nothing like the DMC i've been playing for 9 years.

There's nothing much to talk about the game since the trailer is very vague and the info Capcom throws us is very confusing. So until more footage or info is divulge i'll hold out on my thoughts about it totally.

Only thing that i really like were the Mannequin enemies. I can't elaborate on anything more because there's not enough material to elaborate with.

Asmodaius

So gamer means you can't be a fan? What? That's a personal theory, unless you can provide with some dictionary or other proof that what you say are indeed how it is.

Of course I'm a gamer, I am playing video games! I am also a fan of many of the game series I play!

And true, I might not be just as passionate as such hardcore fans, but that doesn't mean I'm not passionate about it. I just don't feel my life is ruined because of a reboot. I feel sorry for those who do though. I'm not being sarcastic now, I truly think it's sad that someone are so passionate about a video game that they feel like its a part of themselves that's been destroyed, because of a reboot.
I start to understand why those hardcore fans are feeling like they do towards DmC and the new Dante.

With that said, I don't think it's Capcom's responsibility to care and nurture such fans. I would understand if they had promised that DMC5 would be a continuation of the series, but from what I understand, they haven't done such a thing.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
You're walkin' on a thin line Asmodaius. There are some people out there who take some games so seriously that they make it a part of their life. I'm not really sure how to say it but there are people who have grown up to only video games because it's all they have to relate to.

I'm not speakin' for other people. I don't mean to offend anyone.

VirgilTheart

Vampi; on the matter of the DMC fans who are actually excited about DmC, I personally am not ignoring the past games. :( I can't say I'm a die-hard fan (because I'm not); I've been interested in the series since I was 10 years old, but sadly, I wasn't able to begin playing the series until the past couple of years (and even then, I've only begun to seriously play the games recently) Heck, I still haven't bought DMC1 or DMC2 yet, but I'm meaning to do that soon enough.

That said, I AM a fan of the series. I was VERY ****ed off when I first saw the trailer.

But... the thing is, when I calmed myself down and looked at it all again, I decided to try and see the good in this; because I am a DMC fan. I hope to God that they don't mess this game up. And when I decided to look more into the trailer, and into Ninja Theory's background, I started to see potential for all of this. My hope is that this game manages to respect the previous games and continue to bring respect to the series. I'm still disappointed that I probably won't be seeing any answers as to Nero's background, or Vergil's fate, but hopefully the game can make up for all of that.

That's just where I stand on the matter, Vampi. Hope you can understand and respect that. ^_^

Asmodaius

A thin line indeed, Faust.
I've seen how people craze about Final Fantasy 7 and all the spin-offs to that game. It's on the border to complete insanity, and Square Enix keeps milking it as much as they can - not to satisfy the fans, but to cash in.

So no... I'm not a hardcore fan then. I do sympathize with those who are though and as said, I am starting to realize what a major disappointment it must have been for them to not get what they want.

Vampi

Gamer mostly means sumone who plays video games for just the gameplay. Maybe they'll take a casual liking to the characters. But once the game is done they move on to another game.

Fan is sumone who deeply cares for the characters as much as the gameplay. They know the origin of the character, have thorough discussions about it, even have clubs or forum about it. Only on that one game.

You can't put yourself with the hardcore fans as much since you so easily accepted this game without asking why they change the formula and outlook to it. Fans ask questions, gamers just go along with the current no matter if the game looks different or not. If it plays well and if the character is named Dante without caring that it doesn't look like the original, then they're just a Gamer.

You don't realize how much these games influence people. Moseslmpg even did a presentation about Okami in his College class. That's how much an influence these forms of entertainment are to people. They make you get new friends or inspiration from them. Merely calling it a game is underestimating its influence. Unfortunately, the suits at Capcom don't realize this much, since all they care about is profit. But they're a company so that's nothing new.

It is Capcom's responsibility to cater to the fans in every way possible. We fans keep there company in business. Without us there would be no Capcom. Its just that now Capcom is being too ignorant and presumptuous about things. They think that they can garner even more fans who never even took a second glance at the series by radically changing it. But that also alienates all the fans that have been buying the games and paraphernalia over the years. I doubt fans can be replaced so easily and its a very big gamble to do such a thing. I'll give them time to win us over. But its looking very grim thus far with the lack of info on the game, especially with the majority having a negative outlook on the game.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
I don't mean any offence Asmodaius, so don't think of it as like I don't respect you. I was just pointing out that there are people who can only relate to characters in games rather than to other people. But I believe in general though, those who play games actually take traits of characters themselves (if you go deep enough into a characters profile) and build your own personality off it as well. Where it comes into play though, varies.

BTW, you can say I'm kinda a hardcore fan of the badboys in Final Fantasy VII. The Turks and of course Rufus Shinra <3 But I don't have the money to spend on figurines...mainly because I can't find them where I live. *sigh* Same goes with artbooks ect ect.

I wasn't too much of a fan of the spin-off canons...but they were OK I guess.

Asmodaius

Vampi;277654 said:
Gamer mostly means sumone who plays video games for just the gameplay. Maybe they'll take a casual liking to the characters. But once the game is done they move on to another game.

Fan is sumone who deeply cares for the characters as much as the gameplay. They know the origin of the character, have thorough discussions about it, even have clubs or forum about it. Only on that one game.

You can't put yourself with the hardcore fans as much since you so easily accepted this game without asking why they change the formula and outlook to it. Fans ask questions, gamers just go along with the current no matter if the game looks different or not. If it plays well and if the character is named Dante without caring that it doesn't look like the original, then they're just a Gamer.

You don't realize how much these games influence people. Moseslmpg even did a presentation about Okami in his College class. That's how much an influence these forms of entertainment are to people. They make you get new friends or inspiration from them. Merely calling it a game is underestimating its influence. Unfortunately, the suits at Capcom don't realize this much, since all they care about is profit. But they're a company so that's nothing new.

It is Capcom's responsibility to cater to the fans in every way possible. We fans keep there company in business. Without us there would be no Capcom. Its just that now Capcom is being too ignorant and presumptuous about things. They think that they can garner even more fans who never even took a second glance at the series by radically changing it. But that also alienates all the fans that have been buying the games and paraphernalia over the years. I doubt fans can be replaced so easily and its a very big gamble to do such a thing. I'll give them time to win us over. But its looking very grim thus far with the lack of info on the game, especially with the majority having a negative outlook on the game.

I can understand that. It's the fans who make the game something special, because they are the ones who take it into their lives and makes it part of them.

Then I got a question for you... Do you consider yourself a hardcore fan?

Faustinasa;277655 said:
I don't mean any offence Asmodaius, so don't think of it as like I don't respect you. I was just pointing out that there are people who can only relate to characters in games rather than to other people. But I believe in general though, those who play games actually take traits of characters themselves (if you go deep enough into a characters profile) and build your own personality off it as well. Where it comes into play though, varies.

You don't have to apologize to me, I know you meant no offence. :p

Vampi

I consider myself a hardcore fan in a certain aspect. I do love the gameplay, its one of the reasons i fell in love with the series when i saw a preview of it on PSM Magazine long ago (that magazine is no longer in publication btw). But i really loved the character of Dante, not only cause of his cool look, but his fun-loving personality. I got very involved in his cause and his origin. I love this series to death and that's why i always get the games when it first releases (if i have the money...sumtimes i can't). But sumtimes i even don't buy food just so i can save money to buy the thing. If that's not hardcore enough then i don't know what is.

I'm not one of those fans that put gameplay videos up with all these insane combos. Trust me if i had there skills i would gladly put those kind of vids up. But since i don't, i can't. Doesn't mean i suck at it. I'm probably a bit better then the average DMC player who plays it for a few times. But i'm just really into the gothic atmosphere and the personality of Dante and Vergil.

Mostly all the forums i go to are sumwhat DMC related. I look up forums and see if there are any interesting discussions that pique my interest.

And not to get too personal, but i even found true love because of this game. Yes, i know i sound corny. But that's how i met my boyfriend...cause of this game alone. He was a fan, i was a fan, we talked about DMC and its future, and we just clicked. And we've been together for awhile now and we talked about DMC alot. He shares the same passion i do.

So its not only just a game. Its a part of our life. I know it sounds nerdy but its true. Though i don't cosplay as DMC characters...that's just too nerdy :p

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
DMC 1 truly had that gothic atmosphere to it. Overall though, I truly love the series for its characters and atmosphere. I did try to write some fan fictions but they never made it up cause I personally thought they sucked. ^^;
Haha, Dante and his playful personality made me wanna play the games...

I had a bf once because we shared our love for acting and video games but uh...mine didn't end so well. I hope people don't meet the same end as me, it's sad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom