• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So we've been had.....sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirgilTheart

I guess I'm a fan then; I'm more attracted to the characters than anything else. :lol: But that might be because I'm a fan of writing and voice-acting and what-not. :lol: I like the gameplay of DMC a lot, but it's really the characters that draw me in. :D

Still not a hardcore fan though, so I see Vampi's point. :lol:

Asmodaius

Vampi;277667 said:
I consider myself a hardcore fan in a certain aspect. I do love the gameplay, its one of the reasons i fell in love with the series when i saw a preview of it on PSM Magazine long ago (that magazine is no longer in publication btw). But i really loved the character of Dante, not only cause of his cool look, but his fun-loving personality. I got very involved in his cause and his origin. I love this series to death and that's why i always get the games when it first releases (if i have the money...sumtimes i can't). But sumtimes i even don't buy food just so i can save money to buy the thing. If that's not hardcore enough then i don't know what is.

I'm not one of those fans that put gameplay videos up with all these insane combos. Trust me if i had there skills i would gladly put those kind of vids up. But since i don't, i can't. Doesn't mean i suck at it. I'm probably a bit better then the average DMC player who plays it for a few times. But i'm just really into the gothic atmosphere and the personality of Dante and Vergil.

Mostly all the forums i go to are sumwhat DMC related. I look up forums and see if there are any interesting discussions that pique my interest.

And not to get too personal, but i even found true love because of this game. Yes, i know i sound corny. But that's how i met my boyfriend...cause of this game alone. He was a fan, i was a fan, we talked about DMC and its future, and we just clicked. And we've been together for awhile now and we talked about DMC alot. He shares the same passion i do.

So its not only just a game. Its a part of our life. I know it sounds nerdy but its true. Though i don't cosplay as DMC characters...that's just too nerdy :p

That does indeed sound hardcore to me...
But how can you consider yourself a neutral party on these forums about the reboot then when you are indeed so passionate about the series?

VirgilTheart;277674 said:
I guess I'm a fan then; I'm more attracted to the characters than anything else. :lol: But that might be because I'm a fan of writing and voice-acting and what-not. :lol: I like the gameplay of DMC a lot, but it's really the characters that draw me in. :D

Still not a hardcore fan though, so I see Vampi's point. :lol:

Oh, I too consider myself a fan, because I like most games because of the characters storyline, their design, the storyline throughout the game and such.

For example, Final Fantasy 13's gameplay is dreadfully boring in my opinion, but I love the storyline and the characters in it!

Am I a hardcore fan? No...

Vampi

Ya know i just don't only answer to stuff about Dino's looks. I do contribute in that DmC Reboot gameplay thread and the theory thread. But since gameplay isn't my specialty there's nothing else i can really discuss in deeply. Thus why i talk about the look and atmosphere and personality about the game.

Just because i love this series, doesn't mean there aren't any other great games out there, only playing one series is just limiting your horizons, especially when DMC takes stuff from other series to expand on it and make it better. Just become it seems to other people i'm negative about it, its not exactly true. For example...

I played Bayonetta. Mind you, i think the gameplay is excellent and i love SUM of the characters, like Jeanne, Rodin and Enzo. But Bayonetta, the feature character, i really despise in sum way. She's annoying, slutty and she's basically Dante with boobs. I found that unoriginal, especially coming from the creator of DMC, Hideki Kamiya. I've had enough of fanservice geared only towards male, and Bayonetta is just as much a stereotypical female video game character as the DOA Girls. She might not be as bad as the DOA girls, but she's pretty much there.

Just because i hate the main character, doesn't mean i don't appreciate the gameplay. I absolutely love it and i've unlocked all of the unlockables it had to offer. I still play it to this day even though i pretty much got everything this game offered. I won't say i'm a hardcore fan of it, since i don't defend it as much as DMC, since the story is lackluster and that i can't stand Bayonetta. But, i still tout that game's great gameplay as the best i've play since DMC 4.

In other words, even if my worst fears about Dino's character come true, if the gameplay is great, i'll rent it and play it. I don't know about actually buying it cause it takes alot for me to actually plunk down $60 + Tax on a game, since i do research on it and consider if it has enough replay value, if i find the characters interesting or the gameplay is good. So i take those factors into consideration.

I'm curious about DmC,i want to see if this so called change is for the better. But i also can't involve myself too deeply since the game doesn't have any of the characteristics that identifies it as a DMC game. So i'm just an interested observer trying to find any nuance in the game that might give me hope that its paying a good homage to the original series.

VirgilTheart

Being honest, I'm a Kingdom Hearts fanboy. :cool:

There! I said it! :lol:

But who knows? I may end up preferring DMC to KH in future years. I can definitely say Dante's a much better written character than Sora is, but that's partly because of what sort of personality and background Dante actually has and CAN have, because he's not starring in a game meant for kids and teenagers. :lol:

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Hehe...I liked KH but oddly enough when I started looking for the game to buy it, it 'disappeared'. Grr :mad: I hate it when that happens. You look for something and then it's not there the next day or the next couple days.

VirgilTheart

Faustinasa;277687 said:
Hehe...I liked KH but oddly enough when I started looking for the game to buy it, it 'disappeared'. Grr :mad: I hate it when that happens. You look for something and then it's not there the next day or the next couple days.

If you have a PSP, I HIGHLY recommend getting the new prequel game, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. Best game yet, and three scenarios. :cool:

That said, I'm getting off-topic here, so back to DmC! ;)

Asmodaius

Thank you for your answer, Vampi. ^^
We've broken the viscious circle between us by now, won't you agree? Instead of bashing at eachother, this has been rather informative.

I agree with the over-sexualizing of female characters is getting rather tiresome - a female character can still be quite attractive without putting it all out there!

One of the reasons I like Dante's new look is because I find skinny goth-punk looking guys attractive - and it is not that Dante wasn't attractive in the other games, but... I admit... skinny goth guys... Well, forum rules prevent me to say what I wanna say, but let's just say that I -really- like them. ;3
So I guess that's another reason I am more open about this reboot.

moseslmpg

Asmodaius;277623 said:
But as a gamer, I indeed believe it is overreacting.
I think you mean, as a person. Gamers tend to take things out of proportion frequently.
Also, it is not only the optimists who disparages others, I have been called "not a true fan" by a hater, because I wasn't hating on the reboot. And the fact that you believe I have abandoned the old series actually hurt me when I have more than once tried to explain that I indeed haven't. Then you can choose to believe that or not, that's up to you, but don't make your opinion into a fact.
However, I agree that it was wrong of me to point fingers like I did and also calling you a cynical, and for that I apologize.
I never said the haters weren't doing the same thing, and I have called out my fair share, mainly at Capcom Unity and IGN. And about that comment, to be fair, your sig is kind of inflammatory; it could be seen as calling people out.

I can't see any way in which you haven't abandoned the old series. Going back and playing it doesn't count. Generally, when people lose something they love or see the prospect of losing it, they exhibit some degree of agitation. You seem all too comfortable with the fact that the old DMC will never again be seen. Either you are a Buddha, undisturbed by all things, or DMC doesn't mean as much to you as it does to people who are upset.
Also, you say you are a neutral party, but then you say that prejudice is a good tool to use... Do you have any prejudices towards this reboot? Do you have an opinion to express about it? Because then I'd actually like to hear it.
Of course I have some prejudice against it. But the thing is, I see it as a non-DMC action game; I don't feel I owe it anything just because it has the same name as a series I like. From what I have seen, as a regular game, I am not impressed so far. The trailer has not won me over at all. The combat looks like it might be slow, and the scenario doesn't intrigue me at all. At this point, I'd stick to GOW, and Dante's Inferno, and Darksiders, and Bayonetta, and all the other new action games coming out. I'm excited for Asura's Wrath in particular. In short, my reaction to the trailer as an independent game is: eh, whatever. I have never been so unhyped for a game in my life.
Vampi;277654 said:
You don't realize how much these games influence people. Moseslmpg even did a presentation about Okami in his College class. That's how much an influence these forms of entertainment are to people. They make you get new friends or inspiration from them. Merely calling it a game is underestimating its influence. Unfortunately, the suits at Capcom don't realize this much, since all they care about is profit. But they're a company so that's nothing new.
Actually, it was a term paper. And yes, I have put a lot of effort into it. You'd think I was an autistic savant ;) with as much research I have put into the game. In fact, if it weren't for DMC, I probably wouldn't even be in college right now, as it is primarily what inspired me to take up my religion concentration, and has informed my learning for years. In fact, I went to Japan, to Koya-san, the world headquarters of Bonji and all of it can be traced back to the DMC1 runes (which I also wrote a small, inadequate paper on). I've developed an entire, comprehensive deutero-canon from the series which is flexible enough to even be called heuristic and which is based upon the learnings which DMC caused me to aspire to in the first place.

It isn't a competition or anything, to see who is the most hardcore...but when it comes to story and meta-canonical, pseudo-esoteric study of the series, I totally win :p But seriously, I've been pretty involved in it for a long time, and in my own arena, I am probably deeper into the pseudo-esotericism than any other DMC fan. Of course, I am nothing when it comes to gameplay, and that arena has its own hardcores, as does fanfiction. The key is that it means something more than a mere game to us and we can't honestly just give it up so easily.

That is not to excuse the overreactions of some fans, many of which are not "hardcore," but it is a vantage point for understanding the other side.
Vampi;277667 said:
And not to get too personal, but i even found true love because of this game. Yes, i know i sound corny. But that's how i met my boyfriend...cause of this game alone. He was a fan, i was a fan, we talked about DMC and its future, and we just clicked. And we've been together for awhile now and we talked about DMC alot. He shares the same passion i do.
Woah, that's pretty freaky. The same thing happened to me. What are the odds :p

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
moseslmpg;277695 said:
Actually, it was a term paper. And yes, I have put a lot of effort into it. You'd think I was an autistic savant ;) with as much research I have put into the game. In fact, if it weren't for DMC, I probably wouldn't even be in college right now, as it is primarily what inspired me to take up my religion concentration, and has informed my learning for years. In fact, I went to Japan, to Koya-san, the world headquarters of Bonji and all of it can be traced back to the DMC1 runes (which I also wrote a small, inadequate paper on). I've developed an entire, comprehensive deutero-canon from the series which is flexible enough to even be called heuristic and which is based upon the learnings which DMC caused me to aspire to in the first place.

It isn't a competition or anything, to see who is the most hardcore...but when it comes to story and meta-canonical, pseudo-esoteric study of the series, I totally win :p But seriously, I've been pretty involved in it for a long time, and in my own arena, I am probably deeper into the pseudo-esotericism than any other DMC fan. Of course, I am nothing when it comes to gameplay, and that arena has its own hardcores, as does fanfiction. The key is that it means something more than a mere game to us and we can't honestly just give it up so easily.

Ya know, video games are the main reason I really want to pursue a career in Sequential arts: Comic books and Graphic novels, and of course video game designing and concept art. So that's why I'm more accepting to different games because I want to see the design. As for characters, I'm more into WHY the characters are who they are. The motives, the gears clicking in their minds. But as to say, I look at a lot of different characters and I'm still very much a n00b when it comes to this, learning by teaching myself.

When I start reading things more thouroughly, the more I come to understand other peoples point of views. If I didn't start talking in certain posts, I wouldn't have known more about certain people. Certainaly you moses, and vampi. I am sorry if I have said anything unfair to you earlier, I am still fairly new to this site so yeah...my apologies if I came off as immature most (if not all) the time.

Asmodaius

VirgilTheart;277709 said:
*Bows* It's what I do, bro. It's what I do. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vrfEoc8_g

... Now you're just being cheesy. ;P

moseslmpg;277695 said:
I think you mean, as a person. Gamers tend to take things out of proportion frequently.

I just picked up on that! What I meant was that a gamer, a fan or whatever, reacting like that would be overreacting, not as me as a gamer or fan. :p

However, I stand corrected as I have learned that the hardcore fans indeed have reason to react as such.

Vampi

Asmodaius;277700 said:
... Are you two a couple?

128788549769963375.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom