• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So we've been had.....sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmodaius

Faustinasa;276721 said:
^ Agreed...I find it childish to start bashing on something new coming out. It's only a game. So what if it makes or breaks? It is not the end of the world...

The thing is, the Devil May Cry series and Dante are dear to the fans, or rather, those who call themselves hardcore fans. It's not the end of the world, no, but they are changing a character which they had grown accustomed to and loved playing as in the past games. They have a certain bond to him.

And thus it is hard for them to accept that someone is taking 'their' Dante and is changing him and 'their' DMC world into something unrecognizable.

Some take it harder than others while some are more open about it. That is where the two collide, the fans who dislike the changes and those who support them.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Asmodaius;276722 said:
The thing is, the Devil May Cry series and Dante are dear to the fans, or rather, those who call themselves hardcore fans. It's not the end of the world, no, but they are changing a character which they had grown accustomed to and loved playing as in the past games. They have a certain bond to him.

And thus it is hard for them to accept that someone is taking 'their' Dante and is changing him and 'their' DMC world into something unrecognizable.

Some take it harder than others while some are more open about it. That is where the two collide, the fans who dislike the changes and those who support them.

True...but when you put it that way, it sounds like politics are running our favourite game here :wacko: I mean, with all the likes and dislikes about change. It really is no different if a favourite show of yours brought in a new lead role to take over one that was there for a long while. It would take awhile to digest and settle.

Vampi

Faustinasa;276721 said:
^ Agreed...I find it childish to start bashing on something new coming out. It's only a game. So what if it makes or breaks? It is not the end of the world...

It might be for Capcom. Since they pretty much lost a good chunk of the DMC fanbase with this game. I guess only people who've never played DMC might take a casual liking to this, or others who've played DMC but totally shun the history just because Capcom label this new IP--"DMC"--might like this.

And i find it asinine to defend sumthing that no one knows nothing about.

So what if it makes or breaks? That its only just a game?

If it breaks, which from the looks of things most likely will, then DMC's name is practically worthless and should just be left in the bygone era which will just be visited when sumone writes a nostalgia article.

If it makes, well i guess alot of the Original DMC fans will leave and find solace in other games, knowing that they'll never receive a good conclusion to the numbered DMC games storyline. We won't see Original Dante or Vergil or any of the other characters because they don't exist in this new DmC. And even if they did they won't be the same like they were. They would be basically new characters that we have no connection with.

Capcom see's their loyal DMC fans as expendables. Even though we're the ones that help them make the DMC sequels with our money. Capcom see's us as being replaced. Question is...can we be replaced? And if so, will the new audience be bigger then what they have so far, or smaller because of the niche group that likes this game? Time will tell i guess.

And if its just a game, then why do DMC forums exist. Why do we talk about it? If it was sumthing so shallow then we would just play it and never speak about it again.

Asmodaius

Vampi;276724 said:
It might be for Capcom. Since they pretty much lost a good chunk of the DMC fanbase with this game. I guess only people who've never played DMC might take a casual liking to this, or others who've played DMC but totally shun the history just because Capcom label this new IP--"DMC"--might like this.

And i find it asinine to defend sumthing that no one knows nothing about.

So what if it makes or breaks? That its only just a game?

If it breaks, which from the looks of things most likely will, then DMC's name is practically worthless and should just be left in the bygone era which will just be visited when sumone writes a nostalgia article.

If it makes, well i guess alot of the Original DMC fans will leave and find solace in other games, knowing that they'll never receive a good conclusion to the numbered DMC games storyline. We won't see Original Dante or Vergil or any of the other characters because they don't exist in this new DmC. And even if they did they won't be the same like they were. They would be basically new characters that we have no connection with.

Capcom see's their loyal DMC fans as expendables. Even though we're the ones that help them make the DMC sequels with our money. Capcom see's us as being replaced. Question is...can we be replaced? And if so, will the new audience be bigger then what they have so far, or smaller because of the niche group that likes this game? Time will tell i guess.

And if its just a game, then why do DMC forums exist. Why do we talk about it? If it was sumthing so shallow then we would just play it and never speak about it again.

You call yourself a fangirl/boy exterminator, but what I see here... is a fangirl. A fangirl who seems to take this reboot rather personally. I'm not dissing you, I don't mean it in a bad way, but I think you are making this worse than it actually is.

I've been a die-hard fan of the DMC series and I love them as well as a fan, so having you say that I am neglecting the old series by accepting this reboot is a bit like a kick in the face. The fact that you say you find it asinine to defend it is just sad - it makes you sound like it is better to hate something than to accept it. And to me, that sounds like you have taken the reboot personally.

It isn't personal though. It isn't an attempt to step on their fanbase. It is an attempt to rekindle an old series by giving an other team of game-producers the chance to show their vision of Devil May Cry and to expand their fanbase.

See it as an entire different game if you wish. But there are some of us who accept it for what it is - a new Devil May Cry game. And we aren't wrong in doing so...

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
I'm just finding it very tiring listening to people bash games. I believe forums exist to "help others" or "discuss" what you liked and didn't like in the game. Or even have a friendly debate about what weapons you use or what's your favourite character. But when a trailer of a new game comes out, everyone on the forum bashes it. I find it unlogical.

I agree...everyone grows attached to a character or characters. The game was made solely for pure entertainment...which is why I said it's just a game. But I can't speak for anyone, just myself. I do grow attached to games but I'm prepared if something changes.

Vampi

Asmodaius;276730 said:
You call yourself a fangirl/boy exterminator, but what I see here... is a fangirl. A fangirl who seems to take this reboot rather personally. I'm not dissing you, I don't mean it in a bad way, but I think you are making this worse than it actually is.

I've been a die-hard fan of the DMC series and I love them as well as a fan, so having you say that I am neglecting the old series by accepting this reboot is a bit like a kick in the face. The fact that you say you find it asinine to defend it is just sad - it makes you sound like it is better to hate something than to accept it. And to me, that sounds like you have taken the reboot personally.

It isn't personal though. It isn't an attempt to step on their fanbase. It is an attempt to rekindle an old series by giving an other team of game-producers the chance to show their vision of Devil May Cry and to expand their fanbase.

See it as an entire different game if you wish. But there are some of us who accept it for what it is - a new Devil May Cry game. And we aren't wrong in doing so...

I think you have me confused with yourself. I'm not the one who quickly goes to every unsure or confused Original DMC fan and totally tells them "Its Dante. Accept it". That's the recipe of a fangirl. You might not think so...but it is. I've seen your posts and you keep saying "Well, i hate the negativity. I don't think i'm gonna reply to those negative people" and guess what? You're still replying to those same people. Its like God forbid if anyone shares a doubt about this game you totally spaz out on them telling them that they're close-minded or stubborn or immature.

Yea there are sum people who have that reaction. But i haven't seen any of the members here who are unsure about this game react that way. You seem to take this game too personally, in which you defend in every way possible. Its like a blind devotion. A devotion to a thing you have no idea what's about.

And i never, EVER, said i hated this game. Its just so confusing and looks nothing like the DMC i know, which makes me conclude its not DMC and i don't agree with Capcom identifying it as DMC. Its like sumone selling me broccoli when i specifically asked for an ice cream cone.

Rekindling a series is one thing, completely obliterating a series is another. Capcom has practically stripped whatever made DMC special. That's fine if the developers want to create a vision for the series, but to have it stripped of its identifiable traits is just unnecessary and a big slap in the face for the fans.

You are wrong in doing so. You're looking at this game as a true prequel/sequel whatever of DMC, when it most obviously doesn't look anything close to the DMC of before. Its fine if you accept the game. But to accept it without having doubts about it, even though everything that they've shown so far is completely different, is just naive. Nothing screams DMC to me. If you showed Dino to any gamer before the debut of new game, they would have no clue it was Dante. And showing the trailer to a DMC fan, without showing the title, would just make a DMC fan conclude that this is just sum bland DMC copycat. They wouldn't automatically think its THE Devil May Cry game. It would just sum cash in copycat.

Faustinasa;276731 said:
I'm just finding it very tiring listening to people bash games. I believe forums exist to "help others" or "discuss" what you liked and didn't like in the game. Or even have a friendly debate about what weapons you use or what's your favourite character. But when a trailer of a new game comes out, everyone on the forum bashes it. I find it unlogical.

I agree...everyone grows attached to a character or characters. The game was made solely for pure entertainment...which is why I said it's just a game. But I can't speak for anyone, just myself. I do grow attached to games but I'm prepared if something changes.

We are discussing. Just because it doesn't agree with your views doesn't mean its worthless or childish. Not all discussions are that free flowing.

How can we discuss about the weapon(s) he uses or favorite character when they haven't shown none of that in the trailer. Unless you're talking about the Mannequin enemies (though they're not really characters). And i like the Mannequins...they're the only good thing in that trailer. Unless you're talking about games in general. But i'm only talking about DMC so i'm just taking your quote about that.

And i think you mean "illogical". Not Unlogical.

Its fine if a game has a reboot. But Capcom should've concluded the main storyline first before they tried rebooting the series from scratch. We invest time and money in this series, that's the least they owe us. They should've gradually prepared us for a reboot. Not knock us over the head with it like a sucker punch.

Asmodaius

Ouch, that was a rather condescending response indeed.
I liked the trailer and I hope the game is going to be great. That isn't blind devotion. I am quite aware that this reboot could be a HUGE mistake, but so far I am being high-spirited about it. And though you might disagree, I'm not wrong in doing so. By telling me that it is indeed wrong, you are forcing your opinion upon me. I am merely defending myself.

Aye, I have said I wouldn't respond to such mindless bickering, but I have an opinion until I change it. I feel the same way about the reboot. Right now, I like it. It can change if I get disappointed with something they show us in the future.

They haven't totally obliterated the game series... that would mean that you wouldn't be able to play the past games either. Fortunately, we can.

Also, don't correct others' grammars when you yourself write 'sum' and 'sumthing' instead of 'some' and 'something'... That just being mean.

Vampi

What's with the word Condescending in this forum? Lately alot of the DmC supporters are using that word alot to the people who don't support the game. Is it like the word of the month or sumthing.

If my comment is condescending (which is not, since i never labeled you a fangirl. You were the one who started labeling me first) then your comment is downright insulting. I'll leave it at that.

That's fine about the trailer and stuff, and your hopes on it. But in every other post i've seen you talk about the game like you've already played it. You start to make your assumptions into a fact, which is really a huge disservice for a DMC fan who doubts this game. We don't need more confusion, Capcom has that covered.

Its blind devotion, you defend it in any way possible and you always have an answer for everything. You have no idea what this game is about. All you're defending is probably the label and maybe that guy who claims he's Dante---the so called "real" Dante. Its just your projection of this game is wrong. Nothing looks like DMC. Not the protagonist, not the theme, not the slow as molasses gameplay.

Okay, you say you won't respond to mindless bickering, but at the same time you say you'll have an opinion on it until it changes. Then i guess you'll not follow your own advice and just keep replying to the people you deem immature and childish. Yeah, i already saw that, you practically took back what you said.

I meant was that they obliterated the future, and possibly, the past of the series. And we wouldn't be able to play the past games if this game retcons everything. We'll just be playing the past games on purely gameplay alone. Who cares about the past DMC game storyline, when we know there's no solid conclusion for it.

I wasn't being mean. I just think she meant to use Illogical. Since rarely people use Unlogical. But whatever. That's not important. Don't have to get all huffy about it. Correcting people's spelling error isn't a form of disrespect. Learning stuff isn't a bad thing ya know.

Asmodaius

Hm, we are going round in circles here.
I apologize if I misunderstood you, I didn't mean to undermine you. I used the word 'condescending' because I felt undermined by you. I truly do feel like you won't even try and understand others point of view, and if someone says something positive about the reboot, you pick them down for doing so. That's my experience from your posts. And that is why I respond as I do.

I haven't played the game, obviously, and if it seems like I write as if I have, then I apologize for that as well. Of course I haven't played it! I'm not sure what you mean with the "like you've already played it" comment. I don't know more than the rest.

The reason I defend this reboot is because people are so easy to judge. Yes, of course I want this to be a great game, but I see so many who have already given up hope for this game and seems to have already decided that it is going to suck. You say don't judge it to be good yet, I say don't judge it to be bad yet. I don't see you as being immature or childish, you give some very good points to your arguements and I respect that - I just feel saddened by the fact that most of your points are against the reboot which gives me the impression that you hate it. However, your posts aren't mindless bickering - and I'd like to give my response to them, hoping that maybe something I write might change your mind just a bit, but instead my words are getting teared down and stomped on. In return I get defensive, and then you get defensive and well... then we're back into the circle. XD

The fans are indeed colliding with one another here. We have different opinions and its fine, we don't all have to agree.

Oh, and sorry about the spell-correction comment, that was unfair of me.
(Edit: Oh, and one more thing... I'm a boy, not a girl so I'd prefer to be called a fanboy if anything, not a fangirl. Not that I say I am a fanboy - yes, I am a fan of DMC and I am a boy, but I don't see myself as to what fanboy means... if that makes any sense. XD )

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Don't you kind of find this hilarious? It's like a mystery drama lol. Capcom was behind the change all along and after reading all these threads, it seems like they did for publicity on the game. Once that was achieved they reveal(In the NEW DMC thread just started) that new "Dante's" look isn't arbitrary. There is a reason, a story behind why he looks so different from his older self.

Capcom must have lots of confidence in this new reboot to pull something like this. What do you guys think? Capcom is either ingenius for creating such publicity or insanely stupid for alienating many fans of the original right off the bat with such a gamble.

(For those who didn't understand, I'm saying that after reading all this new information and all these new articles, it seems Capcom USA plans have "Dante" looking more like his old self towards the end of the game, though they haven't released story details yet.)

I knew part of it had to be a marketing ploy. Crazy as hell but it kinda worked. Still I'd suggest Capcom find a better marketing strategy for future games because they really did peeve off a lot of fans. Then again, if that was their aim...well, like I said, they're CRAZY! XD

I still like this new Dante. I think he looks cool and hot, even more so than the old Dante. And already from the trailer he seems to have more personality than being a smartass like the old Dante.
You can define him having more personality just from the trailer? o_O What did I miss? I like Dante's wit! D: Lame as it is, it's comic relief!

I think Capcom is taking a very risky gamble here. I mean, it seems like they have confidence, but if it fails, they're doomed.
You mean the DMC franchise is doomed. ;_;

icmasticc

I think Capcom is taking a gamble, but there's some undeniable facts here. Firstly, I am a fan who does not like the idea of this reboot but as I read more new information, I'm beginning to understand a little, maybe lol.

So basically, though we are all mostly angry with Dante's appearance, I think the game itself will still be good. Ninja Theory's graphics are pretty...you can't even tell me otherwise. Heavenly Sword's graphics were visually stunning and it looks like they might be able to use Capcom's engine in this game which will make them even better. Secondly, Ninja Theory is damn good at character development. I was actually a fan of Heavenly Sword, and it seems like they made each character important in their own way. Character development would be GREAT for a DMC game.

Thirdly, the gameplay. Of course we haven't seen any but let's take what we have seen and break it down. Heavenly Sword's gameplay is debateable. Some people liked it, and some didn't. Let's look at the DmC trailer though. Even though Ninja Theory stated they want a more realistic, dark, and brutal feel to the gameplay, in the trailer Dante still fights with his sort of unrealistic, stylish flair i.e., staying in the air long enough to perform a full combo on an enemy and then stab him to the ground. We've seen it before, but that could possibly gameplay hasn't shifted too much. Dark and brutal most likely means, what people don't want to hear lol, QUICKTIME EVENTS lmao. We'll most likely be going GoW(God of War) on bosses and maybe even certain enemies.

Finally, we have story/voice-acting. Heavenly Sword's story may not be so original, but you can't tell me it wasn't told in a fluid, entertaing way which was made even more so by great voice-acting. Though Dante and other characters might have new voice-actors, Ninja Theory has proven to be adept at finding voices that fit their characters. They are also capable of taking a cliche' storyline and telling it in a such a way that it keeps you enthralled for some time.

So, in summary, the story should be good, the voice-acting should be tolerable, the gameplay should be largely unshifted(unless you hate quicktime events lol) save for a new realistic feel, and the graphics should be top notch. All we left is character appearance which IS a big deal in DMC's case, but this game and the developers have hinting SO hard that Dante will change and have completely white hair and maybe even look a little different towards the end of the game.

TheDarkSlayer

Gilver FTW!
I'm with Vampy and everyone alse who can't look at this game and see a DMC game in it.

Asmudaius, I got your point, you are a fan of the gameplay only, like GTA fans (any GTA game is like a reboot for the previous game, but the gameplay is still the same). So, if you'll get the gameplay u want in DmC, it'll be fine for you. So you don't realy love the Devil May Cry series that much like you think you are.

Unlike you, Vampy, me and many other DMC fans like the characters as much as we like the gameplay. So it's pretty hard to us to look at this 'Dante' and say that this is the real Dante. If this game wasn't a Devil May Cry game, than fine, no problem, I wouldn't care in the main character's name was Dante 'cause I know this game isn't a Devil May Cry game. But as for a DMC reboot, there is nothing like DMC except for the name. I don't hate this game, I just hate the fact that this game comes instead of a real DMC game, only beacuse of this I won't play it.

Asmodaius;276531 said:
I still like this new Dante. I think he looks cool and hot, even more so than the old Dante. And already from the trailer he seems to have more personality than being a smartass like the old Dante.

At this point, I personally don't care about all the negative response that's around. I just can't wait to see what more they have in store for us. ^^

Wow,glad to have some teammates :).

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
I'm a huge fan of character and DMC story, but its consistancy went out the window a long time ago. At first I was disappointed but then I got thinking well, since I can't judge a book by its cover, I may as well get optamistic about the game and hopefully it took a good turn.

Of course, not everyone can accept the reboot easily, and I accept why people are being frustrated with both sides. To real die hard fans, Capcom/NT destroyed Dante; therefore the whole entire series. To the other fans its a new start, new action and maybe an even better storyline Capcom lined up with the previous DMC games. But this being a reboot...it doesn't have to corrospond to the series @ all, a new DMC series started fresh. I believe this is what is getting wrapped around in everyone's mind.

In all reality, we are just basing it off looks right now and some interviews Capcom/NT have released, but none have any details about the game what-so-ever at this point in time. Meaning, people defending the new reboot can easily turn on a dime at this point, opinions will change as more info is released.

Faustinasa;276797 said:
I'm a huge fan of character and DMC story, but its consistancy went out the window a long time ago. At first I was disappointed but then I got thinking well, since I can't judge a book by its cover, I may as well get optamistic about the game and hopefully it took a good turn.

Of course, not everyone can accept the reboot easily, and I accept why people are being frustrated with both sides. To real die hard fans, Capcom/NT destroyed Dante; therefore the whole entire series. To the other fans its a new start, new action and maybe an even better storyline Capcom lined up with the previous DMC games. But this being a reboot...it doesn't have to corrospond to the series @ all, a new DMC series started fresh. I believe this is what is getting wrapped around in everyone's mind.

In all reality, we are just basing it off looks right now and some interviews Capcom/NT have released, but none have any details about the game what-so-ever at this point in time. Meaning, people defending the new reboot can easily turn on a dime at this point, opinions will change as more info is released.

Sure are going to change.
But i don´t think that they really destroyed Dante,they can return to old tracks in DMC6.
For me this is puberty Dante,we all got through puberty once or we are still going through(like me :$)so basically we all know that is a rough part of life.
Who knows what was going through his head in that years.
And smoking is common teenager habit.
Just mine opinion :).

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Subject 64432B;276798 said:
Sure are going to change.
But i don´t think that they really destroyed Dante,they can return to old tracks in DMC6.
For me this is puberty Dante,we all got through puberty once or we are still going through(like me :$)so basically we all know that is a rough part of life.
Who knows what was going through his head in that years.
And smoking is common teenager habit.
Just mine opinion :).

I wasn't stating that I believed Dante was ruined in my eyes, I was stating that a lot of die-hard Dante fans believe Capcom/NT did. Therefore...refusing to embrace this game as part of DMC @ all. They only see a skinny/malnurished boy in chains, nothing more. I see Dante as Dante...he's younger and re-vamped. Heck, his whole story might be re-vamped if it pulls off with flying colours.

Yeah, I can relate that going through puberty sucks :$ but again, that's why I can relate to this new spunky, roughed up looking Dante than others. I believe NT is trying to break the mold and create a new one. Only with more details about the game, will I make better judgement about it.

Faustinasa;276802 said:
I wasn't stating that I believed Dante was ruined in my eyes, I was stating that a lot of die-hard Dante fans believe Capcom/NT did. Therefore...refusing to embrace this game as part of DMC @ all. They only see a skinny/malnurished boy in chains, nothing more. I see Dante as Dante...he's younger and re-vamped. Heck, his whole story might be re-vamped if it pulls off with flying colours.

Yeah, I can relate that going through puberty sucks :$ but again, that's why I can relate to this new spunky, roughed up looking Dante than others. I believe NT is trying to break the mold and create a new one. Only with more details about the game, will I make better judgement about it.

Hope you will :D.

Asmodaius

TheDarkSlayer;276785 said:
I'm with Vampy and everyone alse who can't look at this game and see a DMC game in it.

Asmudaius, I got your point, you are a fan of the gameplay only, like GTA fans (any GTA game is like a reboot for the previous game, but the gameplay is still the same). So, if you'll get the gameplay u want in DmC, it'll be fine for you. So you don't realy love the Devil May Cry series that much like you think you are.

Unlike you, Vampy, me and many other DMC fans like the characters as much as we like the gameplay. So it's pretty hard to us to look at this 'Dante' and say that this is the real Dante. If this game wasn't a Devil May Cry game, than fine, no problem, I wouldn't care in the main character's name was Dante 'cause I know this game isn't a Devil May Cry game. But as for a DMC reboot, there is nothing like DMC except for the name. I don't hate this game, I just hate the fact that this game comes instead of a real DMC game, only beacuse of this I won't play it.

Thank you for telling me how I feel about DMC, I really didn't know myself.(end sarcasm)
Note though, you are quite wrong. What you people don't realize is that some people can like the past games AND the past Dante, and -still- like this Dante as well. You don't -have- to choose, it's not all that black and white.

So no, you do not get my point.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Asmodaius;276813 said:
Thank you for telling me how I feel about DMC, I really didn't know myself.(end sarcasm)
Note though, you are quite wrong. What you people don't realize is that some people can like the past games AND the past Dante, and -still- like this Dante as well. You don't -have- to choose, it's not all that black and white.

So no, you do not get my point.

Yes, that's exactly how I feel...I accept the new DMC Dante and the past Dante as well. I'm glad that there are people who can put differences aside.

fox

Ninja theory has completely gotten it wrong, DMC does not need a reboot, all what DMC needs is simply an upgrade to get everything back in order. All they needed to do was work on improving the game play and the story and everyone would be happy, instead they change the world, the main character(the way he looks and sounds) and the visual style of the game. What they are doing is pointless and a complete waste of time.

And to the people who think that there is nothing wrong about changing the way that dante looks in the game, to many of the DMC fans out there, playing a DMC game with dante looking, sounding and acting completely different is like for instance watching a batman movie with batman wearing a mini skirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom