• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So new DMC animated series are coming to Netflix

berto

I Saw the Devil
I scrubbed through the trailer. There are quite a few details in there. A lot to point out and it's loaded with easter eggs. They really wanted us to know that this is its own thing.

Edit- Just a heads up, the trailer on Netflix has a few different scenes. It's not that different but there are one or two alterations. It's also got the LatAm dub option, if anyone wants to hear Mexican Dante.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm going to put spoilers on these things since they're kinda big.

Anyaway. Just some things I saw that I want to comment on.

I saw that busted building in the background and it occured to me that that's probably where an action sequence just took place. It was just a thought. While looking at that I noticed that woman on the bridge. At least I think it's a woman and I think it's Lady.

vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h07m01s279.png

People say that those two on top of the trucks are Agni and Rudra but they have heads so I don't know. Anyway, it's the vehicle in front of them that caught my eye. There is a lot of military presence in this show so far. A bit unusual for DMC.

vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h07m23s630.png

I'm not loving this look for Rebellion. The 'ribs' are too thin. The bulk of the sword seems to be gone.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h09m40s465.png

Flintlock revolvers? That's kind of a silly concept. I don't even think they look that interesting.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h10m16s679.png

It's a bit disappointing when they just do this, just a generic design. This would've been a good time to add a small detail, an easter egg or a reference rather than just 'Pizza.' We know it's a pizza by the box so have some real fun with it.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h12m07s118.png

People kept saying that these are Berettas so I look it up and it seems like that's what they are. This really seems the biggest piece of evidence that it's another origin story. In some of the promotional work they gave E&I a DmC looking silhouette, and they still might give them that look, so this was a bit confusing.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h15m58s834.png

Everyone seems to assume that that's Enzo in the background but I'm going to go on a limb and say that that's Mad Dog from the LN. Apparently the director already said that he took a lot of hints from the manga for 3 so adding stuff from the LN is not that farfetched.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h16m32s601.png

The amulet seems to have gotten a very DmC redesign which is why I wouldn't be surprised if the guns will, too. They're blending a lot DMC this and that into this show so far. As a matter of fact, his whole design seems like it could be a blend of all of his previous looks (+Nero).
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h16m54s595.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h17m41s264.png

Yeah, that really does look like Jester without that cap and bells. Not sure how I feel about this one. Yeah, it's not canon, but repurposing the character can have a diminishing effect on their original presence in the new one if they have a misstep.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h17m09s146.png

I think it was on Screen Rant where I first heard about sky beams and big portals up in the sky. It was definitely on a review of some kind and it wasn't being brought up as a good thing. They're not an uncommon visual, really. In Lord of the Rings it was a like signal for war but in Suicide Squad it was just a meaningless visual. I never noticed till they brought it up but now... In superhero movies they've become an overused trope so I get a sense of weariness when it's a main plot element.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h18m24s955.png

Really breaking the cannon for all it's worth.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-00h54m48s143.png

Speaking of 4, I wonder if that's a Mephisto. Also, who's that lady? I'm wondering if the show is going to have episodic stories rather than one, overarching, narrative.
vlcsnap-2024-09-22-21h18m36s506.png

vlcsnap-2024-09-22-21h18m47s328.png

I have no proof but I think that Dante is the one who kicked those people over the counter and that that's Cindy, from the other anime, he carrying.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-01h19m34s808.png

There's something about the way he moves here that just feels wrong to me. There are some parts where I think the animation is lacking one's really sticking out and I can't figure out why. I don't know if it's the odd momentum or what but this scene felt off. I might be over thinking but it stuck out to me for some reason.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-01h19m53s127.png

More military stuff. This is also not the same one from the freeway chase. That one had a large receiver on top.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-01h20m09s907.png

They seem to be going with a different vibe for this guy here. In the Manga he was very stoick, calm. He never gave a smile like that, nor made any menacing faces.
vlcsnap-2024-09-21-01h20m23s865.png

Anyway. Me just rambling to myself.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
^ It's reminding me a lot of the latest FNaF game "Into the Pit" which is just meant to be a non-serious non-canon spin-off game and features fun cameos from stuff across the history and differing continuities - with the Devs being very clear that you're not meant to use the game as evidence to solve any of the franchise's remaining mysteries.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I hope for those that watch it in english that jyb brings a different energy to the role, as if it is just him being nero and reading lines that way for dante it will be offputting for a lot of fans.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Why do you presume it is a reboot?
An assumption made on past experience with their other shows and my own bias.

Even if it weren't another reboot, i'd prefer if it offers more than the greatest hits or what we already know from the games.
Isn't it just a different universe take on the series rather than a reboot?

That is what the creator said wasn't it?
details are scarce online but the creator said it was connected to his other shows

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Wouldn't that make it his own enclosed universe though, and not a canon DMC one or reboot of DMC

This guy is not from capcom afterall.
kind of.

reboots and alternate universes can overlap in practice as they accomplish similar goals for a franchise.

but i guess it depends on how they play it with this show.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Wouldn't that make it his own enclosed universe though, and not a canon DMC one or reboot of DMC

This guy is not from capcom afterall.
Actually, that is very much the case. He's referred to it as his bootleg universe and mentioned that it's connected to his Castlevania series. You could describe it in a very crude way as an expensive fanfiction with an official license.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
He's referred to it as his bootleg universe and mentioned that it's connected to his Castlevania series.
I really hope he means that spiritually and not literally as I was not a big fan of Netflix's Castlevania animated adaptation and I would not be interested in seeing any characters or elements from that creep into DMC. :unsure:

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Lain That's been my concern from the very beginning, too. The way he phrased it it seemed like the latter and that doesn't fill me with confidence. I watched the first season of Castlevania and then I started watching the second till I began skimming through it. There are entire conversations that not only go on way too long but end up being completely unnecessary. I skipped through one of those and nothing said there ever impacted the story so I literally missed nothing from not watching it. That first arc had some great highs but compared to the lows it was a brutal tip of the scales just by sheer numbers; I think I can count the high points in one hand while the lows were all over every episode.

To clarify, the issue with the lows isn't that they're there, it's that there are just so many. If we were to remove the unnecessary stuff, trim the fat, as it were, or just tighten the narrative, the show might've only been half as long. I worry that that is the direction that DMC might go. I never saw the second series of Castlevania from low interest so I don't know if they polished this one up. That's just the style of the show. Having the story be set in the same world as Castlevania is just complicating things in other ways that don't need to be. Even if they don't mix on screen the idea itself just comes off as a bad one. For one, making its own isolated thing is probably for the best since they don't have to adhere to preexisting canon and they can just tell their own story so slapping it on to the Castlevania one defeats the whole purpose of that and forces it on to another canon that it might not even be compatible with.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
october 26th is another animation expo. they might give us more details then.
If I remember the article they're going to be showing off a scene from the show and the director will be talking about it.

I hope for those that watch it in english that jyb brings a different energy to the role, as if it is just him being nero and reading lines that way for dante it will be offputting for a lot of fans.
Well, that's the one criticism that a lot of people have had since DMC4. That one guy who got all the hate for daring to not like DMC5 said it best. The games keep starting a younger protagonist (4), and younger protagonist (DmC), and a younger protagonist (5). I've mentioned a few times that they don't seem to know what to do with Dante. Because 3 is so iconic they seem to constantly revert to its formula and they can't seem to shake it off. Part of it is also that Itsuno had a great deal of admiration for Kamiya and was always worried about not doing right by his character.

A while ago I read something that someone in the DMC staff mentioned about how they wondered around what age men tend to be the coolest. They decided that it'd be around their 30s. I found that ironic because they can't seem to want to tell a story about said cool man in his 30s.

@berto
Mad dog and Cindy could be the other voices in the trailer.
Could also be Alice. As for they man's voice, my money is on one of the mercenaries that are trying to kill him at the start.

On a side note, I can't remember which but in one of the DMC1 material books I read that there this rule in the underworld of the city that Dante lives in not to go mess with him. That's just a sure fire way of getting yourself killed.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So....maybe it's actually Nero, all grown up, taking over Dante's role because he's retired.
Kinda like how everyone assumed Dante was Sparda, only now it's Nero as Dante? :unsure:
That's just a theory as an obsessed fanfic writer. PLEASE don't let that actually be the case.

What I do need to complain about is WHY IS IT ONLY SHOWING IN 2025 WHAT IF I'M DEAD BY THEN AND I MISS IT?!?!?!?1111!!!

Top Bottom