• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So new DMC animated series are coming to Netflix

Lucel

They even have the White Rabbit from the DMC3 manga!
ZP1hVxM.png

vySERwB.png

Benny

I usually don't care if they change voice actor but casting a guy who voiced one of character in main cast for Dante after Reuben is pretty distasteful. It's like Goku's VA retired and they just get Tienshinhan's VA to voice him, uh...

berto

I Saw the Devil
It certainly looks exactly as you would expect...which is why I’ll be giving it a pass.
I might, as well. The whole thing was a lot of flash and no style, if that makes any sense. There are ideas and concepts but something about this trailer feels a bit on the hollow side. I don't know how to say it but I've seen scenes that were less flashy and with similar or less interesting ideas pull it off making it look more impactful.

Edit- Who am I kidding? I'm definitely watching it, even if it is not to my liking.
I usually don't care if they change voice actor but casting a guy who voiced one of character in main cast for Dante after Reuben is pretty distasteful. It's like Goku's VA retired and they just get Tienshinhan's VA to voice him, uh...
Bosch tweeted that there was a reason, in canon, for it. He was asked about Langdon and he said there was no issues on either side and that they're still good friends.

Edit Edit- Looks like Langdon tweeted that he was cool with it too. I can't find the link again, X won't let me see the posts in chronological order and I refuse to sign up just for that but you can find it yourselfs if need be.

Last edited:

Benny

Bosch tweeted that there was a reason, in canon, for it.
You know, I'd raise my brows everytime something was changed due to "canon reason". They really care that much for the canonical of fictional work, not because of whatever going on in the development team, r i g h t...

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Benny It doesn't bother me that much, nor do I think it's that big a deal. Do I find it odd that this Dante looks like Nero and sounds like him, too? Sure, but this is commonplace for the series. What's the difference between there being a canological reason vs when it just happens? What's the canon reason Dante's never had the same face in any 2 DMC games? The voice? This is hardly that bad. If Rubben wasn't dealing with this treatment would it really matter or would it just be another silly inconsistency the series is littered with? Because, as far as I know, the Rubben situation started well after the show began production, which was around the time DMC5 released. Besides, Bosch is friends with Langdon, they probably talked about it before all this and if it doesn't bother him

Benny

I'm okay if it's new character, but taking actor of an existing character to do another existing character is quite odd. Well maybe about a decade later everyone will get used to it

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, I saw the trailer a second time just to be sure. So, this is, evidently, a 'prequel' since those are clearly not E&I. I say prequel in quotations because there is this thing going around that the director confirmed that this is a 'bootleg' show, meaning it's not canon. It's a different universe, a retelling, an OVA to the 'main show.' Whatever you want to call it, it's not part of the mainline narrative. Just like how his Power Rangers short film is just a fan work this is, too. It seems like the director is going to take a lot of cues from the manga to 3, as we saw with the bunny wabbit.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
After watching that trailer, I can say, that is the trailer of all time. It most assuredly exists.

I was turned off by the CGI within the first few seconds, admittedly. Good to see Dante facing down a Plasma and the inclusion of Alice's rabbit as well as Dante's red-eyes "proto-DT" from that time, but Dante in the Madhouse anime fought a Phantom in the opening and that anime was still garbage.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Rewatching it looses appeal. It looks too safe to really blow me away.

Im fine with it being another reboot but im hoping it does more than another riff on DMC3.

As controversial as the reboot was, i feel the initial trailer did a better job at raising intrigue.

Im hoping it has big swerves/reveals down the road.

On the flip side, I wouldnt mind seeing what their take on DMC2 is.

Its got a 5 year plan so im hoping they jump between new content and riffing on the existing material.

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Wish they had got someone else for va, hearing nero in dante's body makes me cringe

It does not match at all, same way reuben voicing nero in a nero anime wouldn't. Even getting back tim phillips from the reboot as va would have been better.

Just going to watch it japanese with subs as i will not be able to shake that awkwardness everytime he speaks and i hear bosch.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
im hoping we do get to see more references to the light novels.

Dante's life as a mercernary feels like a gold mine.

plus the beast's head from the second light novel leans into Castlevania's use of the Multiverse.

Top Bottom