• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revisiting Vergil

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Judging by the way he looks in that image in the teaser, he seems older than DMC3. He looks as old as Dante in DMC4 to me. Maybe that's a hint that, if he gets a campaign, he may get revived (assuming that he actually died) somehow and be alive during the events of DMC4.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Personally I don't think he did die. I have my reasons to think that.

I agree with you. He does look a bit older in the image.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
He does look a bit older in the image.
It's my opinion that he looks to be the same age as DMC4 Dante, thus implying that he used Nero as a conduit to resurrect himself.

Edit: After all, certain people have been declared dead only to have heartbeat later on. It's an uncommon occurrence, but not completely outside the realm of possibility. "Vanquished/Defeated/Dead" doesn't automatically mean "no recovery."

So yes, he did die, but then "Soul Reavered" his way back to life (like in DmC's Downfall chapter).

@DarkSlayerZero

I have a theory that (kind of) makes sense out of all this. If you want, I can send it over PM.

Last edited:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I practically don't believe he died at all. Nelo Angelo is simply armour that Vergil wears (Not out of choice) but having been forced upon him by Mundus.

Nelo Angelo, the dark angel. It simply means that;

1) Vergil was the 'evil' or more misunderstood twin. He always appeared as the bad guy. That was his image. He appeared deceitful and untrustworthy. He'd use people such as Arkham and probably even Dante too if he had the chance. And all just to gain power.

2) Considering point 1, that would make it easier for Vergil to become corrupted. His already existent evil tendancies. Who is to say Vergil wasn't tricked by Mundus who told him he would grant him with more power or more than what he had at the time. When Griffon was dying he asked Mundus to grant him one last surge of power. And also the way in which Mundus spoke to Dante about being able to create as many false representations of Dante's mum. It's quite clear that Mundus has the ability to grant power unto others and also has the capabilities of being able to bend time and space as well as form life itself in some sense. Vergil could of been tricked into thinking that Mundus wanted him as his right hand man and having been unable to kill Mundus he would settle for second best until the time came for him to beat Mundus and claim whatever power he could gain.

3) Mundus wasn't foolish enough to simply hand Vergil more power, or agree to at any point in the future. Vergil is a son of Sparda, he had gone to try and defeat Mundus. Sparda betrayed Mundus. Therefore if he did grant Vergil anything then Vergil would do the same and ultimately betray Mundus. Why would he do that? That would be idiotic.

No, what I believe is that Mundus told Vergil after he failed to kill him that he took pity on him. And should he agree to join him then he would restore his strength and perhaps grant him more in time if he served him well. Instead of taking it as a loss, Vergil saw it as a new proposal that could eventually serve some potential for him. Mundus then enslaved Vergil by placing him in armour that would act as a means to control him. Vergil became corrupted and became Nelo Angelo.

Cranberry

Maker of cookies
Anot
Even if he were flesh and blood and not a physical facsimile of Sparda, why would it only be possible for his body to be turned into shards? When Dante defeats demons, their souls are actually fluid, physical things: you can see them floating towards Dante. So what if the DMC4 library meant that Vergil's soul was hard, and it somehow shattered? Then those shards were used to create Bianco Angelos. That would explain why the file literally says those demons are made of fragments of Nero Angelo.

Seems like Capcom has yet another thing (besides Nero and his arm, I mean) to explain. This is going to be a huge undertaking for Capcom - let's hope they don't F it up as usual. Let's hope they actually get some decent writers and manage to keep them.

What I'm trying to say is, there's no evidence for anything. You say that it's obvious that the DMC4 library meant that those demons were made out of fragments of Nero Angelo's armor, but really, you're just guessing. We don't even know if Nero Angelo's armor still existed after DMC1. For all we know, Mundus utterly destroyed it. So how can you be so sure that those demons were made out of Nero Angelo's armor?

We don't know anything right now. The only thing we've got to go on is the DMC4 library file on Bianco Angelos being made out of fragments of Nero Angelo. I'm not willing to make a blatant guess like you are - the only logical thing to do right now is to stick with the DMC4 library explanation, and we'll see what Capcom really meant *later*. We'll see if they'll explain it in DMC4 SE.

Another idea to throw into the mix...those whole "shards of Nelo Angelo" came from Yamato. I mean, Agnus used it to make other demons. Maybe there was some of Nelo Angelo's power in the sword. That is what I always took the whole "made from Nelo Angelo" thing meaning, since Yamato was used to make every other demon that Agnus experimented on. I mean, Vergil did have it with him when he went into the Underworld. Maybe Mundus's power transformed Vergil and whatever he had on him. Like his amulet and even his sword become part of the whole Nelo Angelo package.

Since DMC 3, I just saw Nelo Angelo as the alias Mundus gave him, but that bulky armor was like a prison. Without his helmet, he started to wig out. Probably the loss of the helmet helped him remember and he shattered it himself. I could see the armor being just like any other Devils Arm.

I practically don't believe he died at all. Nelo Angelo is simply armour that Vergil wears (Not out of choice) but having been forced upon him by Mundus.

Nelo Angelo, the dark angel. It simply means that;

1) Vergil was the 'evil' or more misunderstood twin. He always appeared as the bad guy. That was his image. He appeared deceitful and untrustworthy. He'd use people such as Arkham and probably even Dante too if he had the chance. And all just to gain power.

2) Considering point 1, that would make it easier for Vergil to become corrupted. His already existent evil tendancies. Who is to say Vergil wasn't tricked by Mundus who told him he would grant him with more power or more than what he had at the time. When Griffon was dying he asked Mundus to grant him one last surge of power. And also the way in which Mundus spoke to Dante about being able to create as many false representations of Dante's mum. It's quite clear that Mundus has the ability to grant power unto others and also has the capabilities of being able to bend time and space as well as form life itself in some sense. Vergil could of been tricked into thinking that Mundus wanted him as his right hand man and having been unable to kill Mundus he would settle for second best until the time came for him to beat Mundus and claim whatever power he could gain.

3) Mundus wasn't foolish enough to simply hand Vergil more power, or agree to at any point in the future. Vergil is a son of Sparda, he had gone to try and defeat Mundus. Sparda betrayed Mundus. Therefore if he did grant Vergil anything then Vergil would do the same and ultimately betray Mundus. Why would he do that? That would be idiotic.

No, what I believe is that Mundus told Vergil after he failed to kill him that he took pity on him. And should he agree to join him then he would restore his strength and perhaps grant him more in time if he served him well. Instead of taking it as a loss, Vergil saw it as a new proposal that could eventually serve some potential for him. Mundus then enslaved Vergil by placing him in armour that would act as a means to control him. Vergil became corrupted and became Nelo Angelo.
Yes, yes, and yes.

Last edited by a moderator:

HandsomePeanut

Satan Claus
But what about time were we actually see Vergil's face for a brief moment in the last fight?

Why does everyone think that's his face?

NeloAngelo3.jpg~c200

How does that look human? To me, that looks like the face of a statue.

HandsomePeanut

Satan Claus
Umm...considering it's Ps2 early game, yeah..I pretty sure it's his face.

Look at Dante and Trish. His face and hair are the same greyish color of stone. Add that to the fact he's the twin brother of Dante yet taller and his face is bigger.

And there's the scene where he takes Dante's form and then transforms back into Nelo. It isn't like he's dressing up as Dante and using the fact he looks exactly like Dante -- it's a glamour.

My theory is that his body isn't under the armor. Mundus removed his soul (either destroying the body or preserving it, your choice) and placed it in a suit of armor he named Nelo Angelo. Taking the face of Dante on top of his armor was just like the mirror scene: a glamour.

Just like it's shown in DMC3 SE, with the Corrupted Vergil costume. That one is probably how DMC1 Vergil looks without the armor.

Corrupt Vergil is a costume.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I know it's a costume. So? Not that far-fetched to think that they made it to show how Nelo Angelo looks without armor.

However, yes, the theory that it's just the manifestation of his soul, that Mundus placed in an armor, is also probable and I'm becoming inclined to it more and more.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Look at Dante and Trish. His face and hair are the same greyish color of stone. Add that to the fact he's the twin brother of Dante yet taller and his face is bigger.

And there's the scene where he takes Dante's form and then transforms back into Nelo. It isn't like he's dressing up as Dante and using the fact he looks exactly like Dante -- it's a glamour.
I think his face's blue, so I never considered it to be stone

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Is it really so difficult for Capcom to keep this canon straight?

Kinda hard to do when you pawn the series off to different people with each game.

Capcom really could have benefited more with having 1 guy in charge of the Devil May Cry mythos, idealy Kamiya would fit the bill if he had stuck with the series but even without him I think it would have been great to find someone to just take over the series direction after Kamiya was no longer involved.

The series could have been a lot more coherent if you ask me.

But then again Resident Evil isn't bad with keeping canon straight, and they do not have 1 guy in charge over the series story.

But then again Resident Evil is Capcom's biggest money maker next to Street Fighter so its not hard to see why they would give more of a d@mn about it in comparison to Devil May Cry.

Now on to the Corrupted Vergil thing, I like the idea of him being Nelo Angelo without the armor.

Top Bottom