• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Revisiting Vergil

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Who else is replaying through the Vergil campaign in commemoration of the DMC4 announcement? Is wreaking havoc as the evil twin as good as you remembered?

How do you think he'll differ from this campaign in future installments? You guys think that he'll have more weapons this time around?

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
The last two questions you asked have already been answered by most people, in the original thread about DMC4 SE, I think. I suppose it'd make sense if he had a new weapon instead of the Yamato, since Nero now has it. I'm hoping it'll be some kind of other katana, like a chokuto. It'd be great if he could block and counter with his main weapon, and I'm hoping he'll have his old DMC3 moveset too, of course. I don't think he's suddenly going to have styles like Dante: he'll just use his main weapon, plus maybe the Sparda sword and the Beowulf, which act like styles. Oh, and he'll have the classic summoned swords too.

Don't know what you mean by future installments. I doubt there's going to be games besides DMC4 SE where Vergil returns. I really think his story is going to be finished in DMC4, that is, if his story is continued in DMC4 at all. He could still just be a new skin for Dante, to be used in his levels. I wouldn't know how they could reintroduce Vergil, really. I mean, would he suddenly be a good guy? Or would he fight Dante as well as Nero, and if so, why would he even stand a chance? The only viable idea would be to have him fight Nero alone, and being defeated by Nero as Nero has learned to master his Devil Bringer. I guess Dante would have to be either killed by Vergil or stuck in hell like he was in DMC2.

I really have no idea what Capcom will make of him.

nephlim god

Wouldnt be rite him not using the yamato . Vergil is all about skill so giving him a new weapon such as a big sword like dante and nero wouldnt be rite

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
There is a chance this game takes place BEFORE DMC4's storyline, in fact I see it as incredibly likely in my opinion, so its completely possible for him to have the Yamato in this, and he is seen with in the teaser as well.

But there is also the possibility this is a non canon storyline inclusion of Vergil (Dante Skin) in which case it does not matter how and why he has the Yamato, although I hope Capcom does not go this route.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
But he's portrayed wielding Yamato in the teaser.
Then that probably means he won't have his own story, and will just be a substitute for Dante. If not, he has taken the Yamato from Nero, but then the question becomes: what weapon should Nero use if he can't use the Yamato? He'd have to find a substitute for the Yamato in those Devil Trigger combos. I doubt Capcom is going to rework Nero's DT attacks.

...Yeah, looks like Vergil's just an extra character like in DMC3 SE.

There is a chance this game takes place BEFORE DMC4's storyline, in fact I see it as incredibly likely in my opinion, so its completely possible for him to have the Yamato in this, and he is seen with in the teaser as well.

But there is also the possibility this is a non canon storyline inclusion of Vergil (Dante Skin) in which case it does not matter how and why he has the Yamato, although I hope Capcom does not go this route.
If this takes place before DMC4, then how does that work? Did he just not die in DMC1 when he, you know, exploded into tiny bits? That would mean that he actually was still alive after DMC1 (and apparently in fine form) but then died again within a year or two? That would be a fail, lol. All that effort getting himself de-slaved, and then he dies XD.

Besides, what demon would have killed him? Just some random demon in Fortuna who disappeared afterward? Because there's not a single demon in DMC4 who actually refers to Vergil. Kind of takes the drama out of his semi-death in DMC3, and his death in DMC1 too, if you ask me.

No, I don't think that's likely. But, we'll see.

He is seen with the Yamato in the trailer because that's his signature weapon. It belongs with the character, just like the Rebellion does with Dante. I really can't take a picture in a teaser as proof that this takes place before DMC4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Then that probably means he won't have his own story, and will just be a substitute for Dante. If not, he has taken the Yamato from Nero, but then the question becomes: what weapon should Nero use if he can't use the Yamato? He'd have to find a substitute for the Yamato in those Devil Trigger combos. I doubt Capcom is going to rework Nero's DT attacks.

...Yeah, looks like Vergil's just an extra character like in DMC3 SE.

Not necessarily. It could be that if there's gonna be a campaign for Vergil, it may be set before the events of the main campaign, like in the DMC4 novel. In that case, perfectly legit that he wields Yamato.
Or, if it's set after, and he takes the sword from Nero, the problem of "what should he use instead of Yamato while in DT" doesn't really matter, since we wouldn't get to control him, but Vergil instead.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Not necessarily. It could be that if there's gonna be a campaign for Vergil, it may be set before the events of the main campaign, like in the DMC4 novel. In that case, perfectly legit that he wields Yamato.
Or, if it's set after, and he takes the sword from Nero, the problem of "what should he use instead of Yamato while in DT" doesn't really matter, since we wouldn't get to control him, but Vergil instead.
Well, if it's set before DMC4, fine, then it makes sense not to include Nero as a playable character.
It is only a Special Edition, so maybe there's only a few new missions (five or so), all of which have Vergil as the only player character. I guess that makes sense.
Still, I'd find it really weird if Vergil just died or was killed without anyone commenting on it in DMC4. Nobody even referred to Vergil in any way. So... I guess that's a mystery.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
To be honest, I've kind of had enough of the Yamato. I saw enough of it in DMC3, and even in DMC4 with Dante. It would be interesting to see Vergil with a new weapon, but that's just my opinion. I guess it wouldn't work if DMC4 SE takes place before DMC4 itself, as he'd have to have the Yamato.

Last edited:

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
If this takes place before DMC4, then how does that work? Did he just not die in DMC1 when he, you know, exploded into tiny bits?

Lol exploded into tiny bits?

All we saw him do is disappear, people only came to the conclusion he was dead and gone due to the fact that he does not show up in the game at all after that and how he acted before vanishing that time, I'm one of the ones who believed this as well.

But saying he was "blown to tiny bits" is false.

But I don't know how he is alive, I'm one of the people who believed he died as well, but his last appearance in DMC1 did not give him a concrete death as shown in the video I posted above, here is a guy who knew how to vanish and disappear as it is, he could have just did that there although in a more dramatic fashion.

And it taking place before DMC4 could open the way for NEW demons for him to fight, we know his mode is not going to be that long as is, for all we know Capcom could simply wip up a couple reskins for the monsters and call them something else and bam, new demons in Fortuna before Dante and Nero even got there.

But from a story perspective if this is canon for him to have that Yamato it has to before DMC4 since I highly doubt Nero would give it to him after the events of DMC4.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Lol exploded into tiny bits?

All we saw him do is disappear, people only came to the conclusion he was dead and gone due to the fact that he does not show up in the game at all after that and how he acted before vanishing that time, I'm one of the ones who believed this as well.

But I don't know how he is alive, I'm one of the people who believed he died as well, but his last appearance in DMC1 did not give him a concrete death as shown in the video I posted above, here is a guy who knew how to vanish and disappear as it is, he could have just did that there although in a more dramatic fashion.

And it taking place before DMC4 could open the way for NEW demons for him to fight, we know his mode is not going to be that long as is, for all we know Capcom could simply wip up a couple reskins for the monsters and call them something else and bam, new demons in Fortuna before Dante and Nero even got there.

But from a story perspective if this is canon for him to have that Yamato it has to before DMC4 since I highly doubt Nero would give it to him after the events of DMC4.
Dude, shards from Nero Angelo (not his armor, Nero Angelo himself, apparently) were used to create several demons in DMC4. It's right there in the files. I'm not saying he literally exploded, but that's what it comes down to anyway.
He was enslaved by Mundus, I doubt he just broke free of that simply because Dante beat him. But hey, it's Capcom, they can make whatever story they want.

Yeah, like I said, I'm having a hard time reconciling Vergil's presence in Fortuna and death right before DMC4, with the fact that he was never mentioned in DMC4, and nothing even referred to him aside from Nero's DT and the Yamato itself. Even Dante didn't mention him, and his decision to track the Order of the Sword (according to DMC4) had to do with Trish bringing the Order to his attention. No Vergil connection there.

Capcom would really have to pull something incredible out of their hat for this to work.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, if it's set before DMC4, fine, then it makes sense not to include Nero as a playable character.
It is only a Special Edition, so maybe there's only a few new missions (five or so), all of which have Vergil as the only player character. I guess that makes sense.
Still, I'd find it really weird if Vergil just died or was killed without anyone commenting on it in DMC4. Nobody even referred to Vergil in any way. So... I guess that's a mystery.
Not like retcons and continuity issues are beyond this series. DMC 3 is a plot hole and retcon in itself. The only way for any appearance of Vergil to make sense in this game is a non canon campaign. Which could be the better route because they can just have the creative freedom to do whatever they want with the campaign, and you still get to play as Vergil.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Mundus never officially pronounces Vergil as dead. He states he has been defeated.

The Bianco Angelos were formed from Nelo Angelo's armour. Not his soul or being.

Nelo (Vergil) saw Dante's amulet. He regained a sense of who he was before being enslaved. It drove him mad. He broke his corruption. Clearly Dante's presence was enough to reawaken his strength and he freed himself.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Alto_&_Bianco_Angelo

The Bianco Angelo (Ita: "White Angel") is an artificial type of demon created by Agnus. Wearing armor bearing the crest of the Order of the Sword and made from fragments of Nelo Angelo[1], this hollow shell is animated by the souls of humans and demons that have been captured by Agnus.

''Bianco Angelo (formerly White Knight): A man-made soldier made
from the fragments of a demon known as the "dark angel". Filled
with either a human or demonic soul, it carries out its master's
orders with mechanical precision.'' - DMC4 Library: lesser demons.

Made from fragments of Nero Angelo himself, not his armor.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
That doesn't make any sense. I don't think his armor can power the demons in DMC4. In fact, we have no idea if Vergil still had his own body as Nero Angelo. Sure, it looked like (a grey) Vergil, but for all we know it was just a facsimile or a representation of Sparda the way Mundus saw him.

If it meant 'made of fragments of his *armor*, the DMC4 library would've said so. It specifically said made of fragments of Nero Angelo. You can speculate all you want, but I'm sticking to what the DMC4 library literally said (multiple times btw). I never said he was a robot or anything of the sort! I'm f****** done with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
If it meant 'made of fragments of his *armor*, the DMC4 library would've said so. It specifically said made of fragments of Nero Angelo. You can speculate all you want, but I'm sticking to what the DMC4 library literally says. I never said he was a robot or anything of the sort! I'm f*cking done with this.

Maybe the armor itself is made of Mundus's demonic power?

Also the armor name itself could be Nelo Angelo, after all devil arms in the Devil May Cry verse has names, why not the armor?

Lets just say for example that after Mundus beat Vergil he engulfed him in a armor made of his power named Nelo Angelo and had Vergil take on that mantle as well.

This could all be easily explained man.

Top Bottom