• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

rate the combat potential of DmC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can agree that using stinger on smaller demons can be annoying but besides that most of those sound like personal difficulties to be honest. I have never had trouble switching styles and I can agree that E&I don't fire that well like they did in DMC3 but they are pretty useless in DmC so I still prefer DMC4 in that regard. There is a lot of difference in the ply style between DMC4 and DmC. It really come down to what you prefer. I personally think that DmC's gameplay is more flashy than it is dee and so I don't care for it that much. The animations are nice but DMC4 doesn't have any particularly bad animations so it's not really that big of a leap forward.

DmC ebony and Ivory are actually quite useful, its a shame that people complain about aerial targets and aiming, but don't realize ricoshot is your best friend in that situation, because it interrupts multiple targets and gives you a chance to focus on a specific enemy since it autolocks on whichever one the ball of energy is hitting as it spreads all of them apart.

As for your overall preference, the biggest thing DMC4 has is the teleport ability, I swear if DmC Dante swapped out his angel pull for the teleport version, and they gave him the yamato rave attack, you'd see nearly the exact same kind of flashy boss fight stuff you see on berial and what not.

Also, the combat animations in DMC4 are pretty excellent and pretty much on par with DmC, since I think both games did the combat animations by hand, the motion capture was mostly for cut scenes and what not, and I think maybe the running and walking stuff during gameplay.

Last edited:

AcidX_Y

If they refined DmC's combat I think it could beat 4. The control scheme isn't too complicated and there's space for a lot more moves.

Fix the JC: the enemy stays in the air even if the attack doesn't hit.
Osiris: Prop/Shredder makes parrying ranged attacks way too easy.
Some of the more overly powerful attacks like Trinity Smash and Round Trip should have more strict timing like Vergils Atomic, Solar Flare and Perfect Slice.
20% increase in gameplay speed.
Ophion pull/lift: It shouldn't reset your Aerial moves. (Unless it's for platforming).

All I can think of for now.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I agree the teleport would add to DmC but its also the inertia and using trickster and roylguard to guard fly off bosses with the analog to control the direction and teleport back its like your flying and Also with trickster you have the sky star air dashes that can be mixed with aerial rave and yamato and killer bee and enemy step to rave all around the enemy or boss which is awesome but I do agree about the richochet and the one button controls being better ad more sophisticated in the reboot and its lock is better too I like the challenge of dmc4's controls as once truly mastered then what u can accomplish is visually stunning and so much fun and it looks crazy for me dmc4 is a game I can get stuck into for hours and lose track of time and I am completely focused and the reboot s a game I can play and are fun with and it makes me smile but after so long I go back to dmc3 or dmc4 so I guess in a way its preference over depth for everyone

If they refined DmC's combat I think it could beat 4. The control scheme isn't too complicated and there's space for a lot more moves.

Fix the JC: the enemy stays in the air even if the attack doesn't hit.
Osiris: Prop/Shredder makes parrying ranged attacks way too easy.
Some of the more overly powerful attacks like Trinity Smash and Round Trip should have more strict timing like Vergils Atomic, Solar Flare and Perfect Slice.
20% increase in gameplay speed.
Ophion pull/lift: It shouldn't reset your Aerial moves. (Unless it's for platforming).

All I can think of for now.
Pretty good suggestions. I think ophion/life should reset, but only if you actually connect with an enemy and not just tap them.
I agree the teleport would add to DmC but its also the inertia and using trickster and roylguard to guard fly off bosses with the analog to control the direction and teleport back its like your flying and Also with trickster you have the sky star air dashes that can be mixed with aerial rave and yamato and killer bee and enemy step to rave all around the enemy or boss which is awesome
Yup, not gonna lie, I do want that kind of fluid mobility for DmC Dante (DmC Vergil has it). Some of the berial stuff looks really sick especially how rapidly players are teleporting away and doing star raves and what not.

Also, DmC does have inertia so that's not a big stretch, the charged shots for both ebony and ivory and revenant do change your direction mid angel boost (cough* sky star glide) either towards or away from the enemy.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
[OppressedWriter, post: 530150, member: 24625"]Just so people think I don't appreciate DMC4's actual combat mechanics, this video is one of my favs its absolutely sick beatdown of berial.

[/quote]

God damn you Sam I gotta go play dmc4 now and destroy berial and Bael and echidna credo and agnus in bp and I was doing so well I hadn't played it I a few weeks lol

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Pretty good suggestions. I think ophion/life should reset, but only if you actually connect with an enemy and not just tap them.

Yup, not gonna lie, I do want that kind of fluid mobility for DmC Dante (DmC Vergil has it). Some of the berial stuff looks really sick especially how rapidly players are teleporting away and doing star raves and what not.

Also, DmC does have inertia so that's not a big stretch, the charged shots for both ebony and ivory and revenant do change your direction mid angel boost (cough* sky star glide) either towards or away from the enemy.
oh I know that well I like to buffer the Aquila dash move in while I do an angel dodge its badass I know there is inertia I the reboot but its not as much or as god as 4 I love doing inertia in 4 with rainstorm but hey DmC has some fantastic moves I love to JC aerial rave into helmsplitter then Osiris shuffle and grab em with Aquila and then JC about 7 or 8 of em together shoot a ricjochet and then grab One up and pull him up as high as he will go then do an eryx charge and ground pound the whole lot of em and trillion stab cancel the remains

I think this video has probably the best example of how all of the inertia glide effect exists, but its the fact that the pull animation will never be as dynamic as simply teleporting away and to the target, but if you see how I move around especially during the last phase of the fight, just imagine if I was teleporting instead of pulling, it would be remarkably similar to how inertia/skystar/etc work in dmc4.
Go to 2:25 mark for third phase.

Last edited:
Nice and yes I see what you mean ha did you do a trickster mod yet ha ha
Yeah, the glyph effect is one of my favorite mods by Zeromancer, who is a really talented dude, It's perfect because angel boost was just sky star glide without the effect.

Also, I might have to go back on the whole less possible to teleport around, it actually is possible in DmC, its just very strict in how you must do it in order to properly go back and forth. The thing is you can angel boost off an enemy but only if you learn the timing after a calibur dash, when you calibur, if you angel boost dante will grind on the enemy if then change direction of your glide you can glide away and either come back using one of the charged gun shots or the aquilas dash once again. I made a video showing this, I'll upload it in a little bit.

Ultimately I think the biggest reason you can't recreate berial is well because their isn't a big boss that you can just target all over its body, if there was an enemy exactly like berial I think DmC Dante could do some cool **** all over his body by gliding away and back in place.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Pity he didn't have an equivalent to using royal release and teleport to bounce off enemies and control the direction and teleport back or air dash twice in DT in any direction and then teleport back too I fair love guard flying against berial and Bael it really opens up the battlefield u should try your stuff on the hunter he ain't too far off berials height and his back is hunched which is great for e stepping off of

Last edited:

InfernalOverkill

Mors Ante Infamiam
when I switch styles the directional buttons mash together and when I want Swordmaster it presses royalguard or trickster instead
That just sounds like a bad dpad on your controller lol.

I can agree that E&I don't fire that well like they did in DMC3 but they are pretty useless in DmC so I still prefer DMC4 in that regard.
E&I are definitely more useful in DmC than DMC4. The charge shot for example will stun Tyrants if there's 2+ of them around. I'd rate the usefulness of guns in 4/DmC as Blue Rose>Deagle E&I>M1911 E&I. Aside from the occasional rainstorm on lesser demons and spamming the shotty at those grim reaper things I hardly use Dante's guns, whereas I constantly keep BR charged up and stock charges on Donte's E&I.

Dantenevercries

If you are rating the combat by contrast of other DMC games then I'd put it just above 4. I've always said that DmC was a more sophisticated version of 4 and I'm sticking with that.
i thought most dmc fans thought that DMC 4 is deeper combat wise then DmC reboot

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
i thought most dmc fans thought that DMC 4 is deeper combat wise then DmC reboot
It depends who you ask. Each person is going to have a different opinion.

If you are rating the combat by contrast of other DMC games then I'd put it just above 4. I've always said that DmC was a more sophisticated version of 4 and I'm sticking with that.
Agreed. I liked 4 and DmC, and I think they're on the same level, but no way could they beat DMC3. That game was the best one combat wise for me. As for DMC1 and 2, they're just below DmC/ DMC4, with DMC2 coming last because I just hated it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
my skill level has never allowed me to take advantage of what dmc4 had to offer so i've never seen the game the way more skilled players do. to me dmc is a bit more polished in enough areas that the experience is not as constrictive as 4. there are place where 4 is superior but still doesn't make up for places where it lacks.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Yeah, the glyph effect is one of my favorite mods by Zeromancer, who is a really talented dude, It's perfect because angel boost was just sky star glide without the effect.

Also, I might have to go back on the whole less possible to teleport around, it actually is possible in DmC, its just very strict in how you must do it in order to properly go back and forth. The thing is you can angel boost off an enemy but only if you learn the timing after a calibur dash, when you calibur, if you angel boost dante will grind on the enemy if then change direction of your glide you can glide away and either come back using one of the charged gun shots or the aquilas dash once again. I made a video showing this, I'll upload it in a little bit.

Ultimately I think the biggest reason you can't recreate berial is well because their isn't a big boss that you can just target all over its body, if there was an enemy exactly like berial I think DmC Dante could do some cool **** all over his body by gliding away and back in place.

I am going to try angel glide angel dodge Aquila dash demon dodge and JC aerial rave and helm splitter on the hunter for fun to see how it turns out

I am going to try angel glide angel dodge Aquila dash demon dodge and JC aerial rave and helm splitter on the hunter for fun to see how it turns out
yeah you can only do it off his face, so you aquilas dash than input angel boost and then right as dantes hits the enemies face, he'll sorta slide and you can boost off in the opposite direction. Also, when you do that if you're holding a charged shot and release it then Dante will inertia back towards him to shoot him in the face.

It's best if you have shoot on R1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom