• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Plot Holes, Questions, and Inconsistencies of DMC

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Yea well his mom was dead so I was like ok Vergil died but, became a puppet of Mundus. And if Trish was created by Mundus to lure Dante to the island then I can only assume they were together and Eva was used as some kind of template or something to create Trish.

Funny you have refered this: I've even thought on the possibility of Trish being made of Eva's DNA or made from Eva's ashes, since in Eva's body was ripped apart on DMC1 Novel and/ or burn to ashes in DMC3 manga.
This would explain that strangely and against all odds, Dante followed Trish without question.Filial instinct, perhaps?

Terrutas

But that ending scene was not setting up any kind of game to take place in hell fighting Mundus with Vergil That was a scene that showed Vergil going in to battle with Mundus answering how Vergil died. We know the outcome of that fight. Vergil loses to Mundus there and gets killed. There is no one to go save or team up with. Did the fandom just think that final scene with Vergil was open ended? I knew the outcome even though it contradicts with the given canon the 1st game established.

DMC is very unorganized and that's undeniable. No sequel has also never been a direct follow up because they just jump around the timeline adding even more stuff whether it contradicts or not just for the sake of the player and not common sense plot wise.
Which is why we need a DMC5, mate. :)

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
But that ending scene was not setting up any kind of game to take place in hell fighting Mundus with Vergil That was a scene that showed Vergil going in to battle with Mundus answering how Vergil died. We know the outcome of that fight. Vergil loses to Mundus there and gets killed. There is no one to go save or team up with. Did the fandom just think that final scene with Vergil was open ended? I knew the outcome even though it contradicts with the given canon the 1st game established.

DMC is very unorganized and that's undeniable. No sequel has also never been a direct follow up because they just jump around the timeline adding even more stuff whether it contradicts or not just for the sake of the player and not common sense plot wise.
We never really see Vergil die unless counting DMC1 with Nelo and even then some people will argue that his soul was just thrown back into hell. The series is messed up I blame 4 for that and maybe the anime alittle as well. Most of what I wrote about the ending of 2 was just speculation of what COULD happen. We know that Mundas defeated Vergil but how? Did he use his strength or did he use Trish as a cheap trick and insulting Vergil's memory of Eva.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Which is why we need a DMC5, mate. :)
But DMC 5 will never be able to erase the already inconsistent canon unless they find a way to erase DMC 1. The original vision for DMC was abandoned a long time ago and no one has ever looked back. I don't want to buy that the VERY FIRST Devil May Cry is suddenly not suppose to be canon because it's the game that started it all.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
We never really see Vergil die unless counting DMC1 with Nelo and even then some people will argue that his soul was just thrown back into hell. The series is messed up I blame 4 for that and maybe the anime alittle as well. Most of what I wrote about the ending of 2 was just speculation of what COULD happen. We know that Mundas defeated Vergil but how? Did he use his strength or did he use Trish as a cheap trick and insulting Vergil's memory of Eva.
We all know Vergil died and became a puppet of Mundus. How? Oh when he was in hell he fought Mundus and must have lost. (even though again this contradicts with the original canon having us believe something like this was suppose to have happened 20 years ago)

And even if we got a game based on the DMC 2 set up that's even further in to the future. Dante was like pushing 40 in the game right? Don't remember his actual age too well. Plus Dante did make it out of hell. There's an extra scene implying he made it out.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Dante's age in DMC2 is never specified...ever. All we know is that it is, according to Capcom "an unspecified future events in the timeline." that way they can AVOID having to directly reference it.

And no, the extra scene, we never see who arrives at the shop, we see Lucia, flipping his coin, we hear a motor cycle and then as she runs out to see if it's Dante, it ends.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Dante's age in DMC2 is never specified...ever. All we know is that it is, according to Capcom "an unspecified future events in the timeline." that way they can AVOID having to directly reference it.

And no, the extra scene, we never see who arrives at the shop, we see Lucia, flipping his coin, we hear a motor cycle and then as she runs out to see if it's Dante, it ends.
Yea, I assumed though the bike was implying Dante made it out. It's been forever since I played 2. My memories fuzzy but I remember the bike.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
We all know Vergil died and became a puppet of Mundus. How? Oh when he was in hell he fought Mundus and must have lost. (even though again this contradicts with the original canon having us believe something like this was suppose to have happened 20 years ago)

And even if we got a game based on the DMC 2 set up that's even further in to the future. Dante was like pushing 40 in the game right? Don't remember his actual age too well. Plus Dante did make it out of hell. There's an extra scene showing some dude riding a motorcycle that looks like Dante's implying he made it out.
DMC4 Dante was around 38 this isn't confirmed or anything but he's around late 30's early 40's so yeah would be right somewhat on that and yea what Dante Redgrave no scene exists we only hear a motorcycle it could easily be Lady, Nero or even Trish

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I still have my ps2 copy of DMC 2 collecting dust somewhere. I'm gonna go through it again just for the hell of it. I hardly remember anything about that game. I play 1 and 3 the most. Hell I've beaten DMC 1 like a billion times.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
DMC4 Dante was around 38 this isn't confirmed or anything but he's around late 30's early 40's so yeah would be right somewhat on that
Nope, He was around 28 to 30 by verification of the director; as Dante was stated by Itsuno to be in his teens(arpund 18 to 19) in DMC3, and DMC4 is stated to be ten years later when Kobayashi commented on Lady being ten years older from DMC3, that means Dante was nearly 30, not nearly 40. Even Reubon commented it was odd he had to audition again for Dante, because they weren't sure if he could portray the aging to late 20s/early 30s, even though Reubon was a man in his MID 30s

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
F*ck it. DMC is riddled with plot holes and continuity issues and I don't want to think about it any more.
tumblr_lzb9uyfa4o1qj4vs2o1_500.gif

berto

I Saw the Devil
DMC4 Dante was around 38 this isn't confirmed or anything but he's around late 30's early 40's so yeah would be right somewhat on that and yea what Dante Redgrave no scene exists we only hear a motorcycle it could easily be Lady, Nero or even Trish
It's not Lady nor Nero, namely because they didn't exist back then. It's not Trish ether because if it was they wouldn't show that scene, they had no interaction and her arrival is of no importance to Lucia, so why would they show that. It's Dante.

I think this is a perfect example of why we see a lot of these plot holes, this innate need to look for deeper meanings and questions that aren't there. Somethings are ether obvious or plainly left as obvious implications but instead of recognizing them we go with 'but what about this part?' or 'no, because we didn't actually see it' and the like. With this tremendous amount of nitpicking it wouldn't really matter if the series were full of plot wholes or not we would make them or make them up. This series not only suffers from been made by too many different people who insist on changing the protagonist and the story telling format but it also has a fan base that constantly goes 'yeah, but...'

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
with DMC2, yes, you are supposed to assume that Dante got out of hell and pulled back up to teh shop in the epilogue scene. That is not arguable; it's the clear intent of the scene. However, that is hardly the tip of the iceberg with the mess that the continuity and timeline and all of DMC became...

Valcorn

The retcons are the fact that Dante haven't seen Vergil since they were 8, the novel further retcons this and then DMC3 comes along and changes it completely... now you mister, Dante Redgrave, why do you insist that the novel IS CANON yet you admit it contradicts DMC3? lol

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
No, It's the other way around...DMC3 OUTRIGHT CONTRIDICTS DMC1 and the novel. Plus Capcom has said still that the DMC1 and 2 novels are canon. However...notice I ALSO explained how you can still see there is not actual conflict as far as "it's been this long since you lost your brother"; Vergil hasn't been the same person since. They never actually said that Dante hasn't seen Vergil AT all since he was 8, or at least, the games ndon't specifiy this, especially since in the Novel, he didn't even have a hint that Gilver WAS Vergil until the very end. DMC3 still fits this, in that Dante DID lose Vergil when they were 8, and even the Manga covers them remeeting knowing the other. In essence, yes, the WRITERS cause the issues, but some of them are not as bad to explain as you seem to insist.

And you can expect that Trish had to play dumb to some information per DMC3's retcons that she didn't know about Temen Ni Gru or what really happened. You really think Mundus told her everything?

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
And people wonder why Capcom finally gave up and said "reboot the damn thing"...

DMC never had the purpose of giving a great plot and story for the players enjoyment (and it still was a franchise that selled pretty good compared to other hack'n'slash titles), so, i don't think that's the reason behind the reboot. I think it was more a will to expand the audience, it ended more as a gambling than anything else.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
DMC never had the purpose of giving a great plot and story for the players enjoyment (and it still was a franchise that selled pretty good compared to other hack'n'slash titles), so, i don't think that's the reason behind the reboot. I think it was more a will to expand the audience, it ended more as a gambling than anything else.

It was part of the reason. Alex Jones did clarify that the disjointed and confusing mess of the storyline in the games was one of the factors in rebooting it.

Valcorn

@Dante, I mean DMC1 made it seem like Dante and Vergil haven't seen each other for 20 years, in novel they met as Tony and Gilver and in DMC3 they just met circa 8-9 years as of retconned timeline before DMC1, I'm not eating the "Trish played dumb" thing, clearly DMC3 and the novel weren't thought of thus invented back then.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
It's not Lady nor Nero, namely because they didn't exist back then. It's not Trish ether because if it was they wouldn't show that scene, they had no interaction and her arrival is of no importance to Lucia, so why would they show that. It's Dante.

I think this is a perfect example of why we see a lot of these plot holes, this innate need to look for deeper meanings and questions that aren't there. Somethings are ether obvious or plainly left as obvious implications but instead of recognizing them we go with 'but what about this part?' or 'no, because we didn't actually see it' and the like. With this tremendous amount of nitpicking it wouldn't really matter if the series were full of plot wholes or not we would make them or make them up. This series not only suffers from been made by too many different people who insist on changing the protagonist and the story telling format but it also has a fan base that constantly goes 'yeah, but...'
Thats what im saying yes at the time 2 was out Lady and Nero didn't exist but now that they do it could be them if they ever wanted to continue with 2's story
Nope, He was around 28 to 30 by verification of the director; as Dante was stated by Itsuno to be in his teens(arpund 18 to 19) in DMC3, and DMC4 is stated to be ten years later when Kobayashi commented on Lady being ten years older from DMC3, that means Dante was nearly 30, not nearly 40. Even Reubon commented it was odd he had to audition again for Dante, because they weren't sure if he could portray the aging to late 20s/early 30s, even though Reubon was a man in his MID 30s
CRAP! Sorry I meant DMC2 Dante not 4 probably should have read through that but i was in a rush sorry >_<

Top Bottom