• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Plot Holes, Questions, and Inconsistencies of DMC

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
I thought they were named after religious stuff, like you say.
Credo, that's like believe. And there is a prayer called The Credo.
Kyrie is the kyrie eleison which is another prayer/ prayer song.
Sanctus is a prayer said before communion.
Agnus is just lamb...like the agnus dei...lamb of god? That's a prayer too
Gloria is another prayer for Catholics and Protestants.
Exactly. Except Credo, which is an Italian verb for "I believe" (but also the name of a prayer), and Kyrie (Greek), they are all Latin names for prayers.
Now that I think about it, Gloria is the only name which is commonly used in Italian (my parents wanted to call me Gloria... Lol. They changed their minds, though. Pity. 'Twas a good name.).

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I thought they were named after religious stuff, like you say.
Credo, that's like believe. And there is a prayer called The Credo.
Kyrie is the kyrie eleison which is another prayer/ prayer song.
Sanctus is a prayer said before communion.
Agnus is just lamb...like the agnus dei...lamb of god? That's a prayer too
Gloria is another prayer for Catholics and Protestants.
tumblr_m4vzwwhVdZ1r4sv79.gif

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Exactly. Except Credo, which is an Italian verb for "I believe" (but also the name of a prayer), and Kyrie (Greek), they are all Latin names for prayers.
Now that I think about it, Gloria is the only name which is commonly used in Italian (my parents wanted to call me Gloria... Lol. They changed their minds, though. Pity. 'Twas a good name.).

Credo (it's spelled "Crehdo") means belief in portuguese and is written in that exact same way, and is a cognate to creed, in my language it has some variations like crença. And i think that Kyrie eleison means something like "Mercyful Lord".

Gloria is a common name here too! And it has some other meanings like something greateful, but then it's spelled and written as glorioso(a) and is used like an adjective (here we use different letters in the end of a word if it's talking about a female object/person or a male object/person, "o" is used for male and "a" for female), similar to glorious in english.

Sanctus is similar to santo(a) in portuguese, which means something/someone who is kinda divine or have a high degree of holiness, like the catholic saints (catholic people refers to Virgin Mary as Santa Maria or Virgem Maria here)

Agnus i really don't know too much, i've never noticed words similar to agnus here.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Devil May Cry always had an unorganized canon. Hell, it was implied in DMC 1 that Vergil died along with his mother and Capcom pulls out of their butt a villain for the 3rd game. Then there's lore that just contradicts with the given canon already and which ones are we suppose to believe? I also don't buy Nero is Vergil's son. That's impossible.

Ever since Kamiya left Devil May Cry so many other writers just started adding their own crap and totally lost the spirit of that first game along the way.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Devil May Cry always had an unorganized canon. Hell, it was implied in DMC 1 that Vergil died along with his mother and Capcom pulls out of their butt a villain for the 3rd game. Then there's lore that just contradicts with the given canon already and which ones are we suppose to believe? I also don't buy Nero is Vergil's son. That's impossible.

Ever since Kamiya left Devil May Cry so many other writers just started adding their own crap and totally lost the spirit of that first game along the way.
That wouldn't make sense Nelo Angelo was Vergil I don't think DMC1 implies Vergil is dead unless you mean when Trish says something along the lines of "Your the man who lost his mother and brother to evil 20yrs ago?" which i've come up with an answer for that

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
That wouldn't make sense Nelo Angelo was Vergil I don't think DMC1 implies Vergil is dead unless you mean when Trish says something along the lines of "Your the man who lost his mother and brother to evil 20yrs ago?" which i've come up with an answer for that

DMC4's recap verifyed that Nero Angelo was actually Vergil's soul shoved into a false body and armo, like Alphose in FMA, it specified him as the soul of Dante's DEPARTED brother, meaning Mundus killed him then enslaved his soul. Or at least that's the retcon. originally it was that Mundus brainwashed him, then sent him after Dante, with Vergil previously having mucked around on earth prior as Gilver.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
DMC4's recap verifyed that Nero Angelo was actually Vergil's soul shoved into a false body and armo, like Alphose in FMA, it specified him as the soul of Dante's DEPARTED brother, meaning Mundus killed him then enslaved his soul. Or at least that's the retcon. originally it was that Mundus brainwashed him, then sent him after Dante, with Vergil previously having mucked around on earth prior as Gilver.
It would still work I mean 8 year old soul shoved in a suit what would Mundas have to gain from that soo its easily DMC3 Vergil's soul

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yea well his mom was dead so I was like ok Vergil died but, became a puppet of Mundus. And if Trish was created by Mundus to lure Dante to the island then I can only assume they were together and Eva was used as some kind of template or something to create Trish.

Why do people think Dante will make some trip in to hell to save Vergil? The ending of DMC 3 just got me thinking oh so that's how he became a puppet. He lost to Mundus there.

But then I think about it some more. So none of this sibling rivalry was ever acknowledged in DMC 1. Dante was like 28 in DMC 1. He was 19 in DMC 3. That's only 9 years. That's a pretty far leap from the 20 that Dante allegedly lost his family at. It was true Capcom just yanked out of their butt Vergil being the villain in DMC 3.

Terrutas

But then I think about it some more. So none of this sibling rivalry was ever acknowledged in DMC 1. Dante was like 28 in DMC 1. He was 19 in DMC 3. That's only 9 years. That's a pretty far leap from the 20 that Dante allegedly lost his family at. It was true Capcom just yanked out of their butt Vergil being the villain in DMC 3.
Because by then he wasn't his rival anymore. He cherished his brother's memory and missed him.

That's why he cried. :(

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Because by then he wasn't his rival anymore. He cherished his brother's memory and missed him.

That's why he cried. :(
But that still just happened 9 years prior to DMC 1. It tosses out the window the statement that says allegedly Dante lost both his mom and brother 20 years ago.

Terrutas

But that still just happened 9 years prior to DMC 1. It tosses out the window the alleged statement Dante lost both his mom and brother 20 years ago.
So? If my brother died I'd miss him my whole life. Wait am I relating to a fictional character? what the hell is wrong with me? :)

EDIT:
Well, I don't know. It's not consistent as you said. But I wasn't addressing that statement. You're quite right about that I guess. :p

Though I'm not entirely sure, give me some time to ponder it.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So? If my brother died I'd miss him my whole life.

EDIT:
Well, I don't know. It's not consistent as you said. But I wasn't addressing that statement. You're quite right about that I guess. :p

Though I'm not entirely sure, give me some time to ponder it.
That's not the point. There's only a 9 year difference between DMC 1 and 3 with me being told Dante lost both of them 20 years ago.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Yea well his mom was dead so I was like ok Vergil died but, became a puppet of Mundus. And if Trish was created by Mundus to lure Dante to the island then I can only assume they were together and Eva was used as some kind of template or something to create Trish.

Why do people think Dante will make some trip in to hell to save Vergil? The ending of DMC 3 just got me thinking oh so that's how he became a puppet. He lost to Mundus there.

What I think is that during the events of 3 any remaining citizens would only know a strange tower with demons appeared from the ground only Lady,Dante, Arkham (deceased), and Vergil were the only people to know its real purpose. When Trish came around she already knew what happened to Vergil (because I believe that she was the reason mundas won when Vergil tried to fight him) so she had to go with what authorities officially knew that Dantes mother and brother were murdered. if Dante figured out that Trish knew the events of the Temingru he would get suspicious seeing how Trish would have know about Mundas's return on Mallet Island and Vergil he probably would have killed her or atleast humored her until they got to the island and probably would have never saved her I'm also one of those people who like to think that the ending to 2 would lead up to Dante going through Hell to finish off Mundas and along the way meets Vergil and they both decide to work together to defeat Mundas and along the way and the game dwells into their relationship. HOHO I don't know why i wrote all that xD

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Pretty much DMC3 Retconned everything heavily. Originally, it had been twenty years since Eva was murdered and vergil vanish, making Dante think he was dead. The Novel still kept to that since to a degree, Dante didn't know for sure that Gilver was Vergil until he has "killed" him at the end. It was DMC3 that totally threw all that out the window, but still, to a degree, it was twenty years since Eva died and Dante pretty much lost his brother in one manner or another.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
What I think is that during the events of 3 any remaining citizens would only know a strange tower with demons appeared from the ground only Lady,Dante, Arkham (deceased), and Vergil were the only people to know its real purpose. When Trish came around she already knew what happened to Vergil (because I believe that she was the reason mundas won when Vergil tried to fight him) so she had to go with what authorities officially knew that Dantes mother and brother were murdered. if Dante figured out that Trish knew the events of the Temingru he would get suspicious seeing how Trish would have know about Mundas's return on Mallet Island and Vergil he probably would have killed her or atleast humored her until they got to the island and probably would have never saved her I'm also one of those people who like to think that the ending to 2 would lead up to Dante going through Hell to finish off Mundas and along the way meets Vergil and they both decide to work together to defeat Mundas and along the way and the game dwells into their relationship. HOHO I don't know why i wrote all that xD
But that ending scene was not setting up any kind of game to take place in hell fighting Mundus with Vergil That was a scene that showed Vergil going in to battle with Mundus answering how Vergil died. We know the outcome of that fight. Vergil loses to Mundus there and gets killed. There is no one to go save or team up with. Did the fandom just think that final scene with Vergil was open ended? I knew the outcome even though it contradicts with the given canon the 1st game established.

DMC is very unorganized and that's undeniable. No sequel has also never been a direct follow up because they just jump around the timeline adding even more stuff whether it contradicts or not just for the sake of the player and not common sense plot wise.

Top Bottom