• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Plot Holes, Questions, and Inconsistencies of DMC

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
In a fan Q&A Kobayashi mentioned that Angus found Yamato near a hellgate he had created. It was broken when he found it and they don't know how it got that way ether. It was a stroke of luck.
Still, that does not explain how the sword broke and ended near the portal... But we can pretty safely assume that it happened when Vergil fought Mundus.
And is exactly this what give so much room to explore his frustration and motivations, his mother's death is indeed the only canonical clue we have for him to point out how weak humans are, and leaves it open if he blames himself and his human side for that, so it can be explored too.
And yeah, it's a pity that they didn't work more on his character, he was so promising...
As for your suggestion for reconstructing Vergil's past, I admit that at first I was being skeptical: I somehow have the fear that everything with a Vergil that cares for a human woman is in danger of being classified as bad fanfiction. I think the fault of this perception of mine can be ascribed to the fact that DMC3 shows us a completely cold version of Vergil, that leaves little room for imagining him falling in love with a human girl...
But maybe you're right, if I stop imagining this hypotetical relationship Vergil could have had as something that comes out from a sappy romance. Dunno why it gave me this impression.:ermm: Maybe it is just a bias of mine, so sorry in advance if I misinterpreted your idea! :p
So yeah, maybe in time I can come and share your version! :D

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
DMC1's prequel novel gave us a Vergil who was controlled, collected, but clearly desiring power. the DMC3 Manga gave us a Vergil who is cold, stamping of his own emotions save anger and hate, and seeks power, nothing else matters. DMC3 itself was in line with the Manga, to the point he saw family relationships(mocking Arkham about a percieved inability to kill his daughter out of fatherly love when it was in fact manipulations of all of then) as a liability and a weakness, compassion was a flaw and a self-threat in his eyes. The only time he indicated a possible sign of compassion was when he told Dante that he should leave before the gate collapsed, but that also feeds into an old maxim of acknowledging your opponent beat you and deserves enough respect to make his way forward.

Now, if the explination for Nero is that his mother is, in fact, a demon, another half-breed(unlikely), or maybe even that he has no mother but is a sluff off of Vergil's soul ala Kid from Chrono Cross, that would match more with Vergil's character and more in tune with the given timelines.

then again, Johnny(or was it Reubon) saying that they expressed to Capcom that fans were confused just what the hell Nero's deal was, and Capcom said "oh, we thought it was obvious", but then they don't say it until an ARTBOOK WITH EARLY NOTES ON IDEA really says, yes, it was obvious; even they had no damn clue.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Name a few please. That is what this thread is about.

Ok.

Sparda leaving Rebellion for Dante

Vergil having free will and using Yamato(I asked Kamiya about the sword and got a funny reply).

Yamato suddenly being about to "cut through anything" when the description in DMC1 said
"It's the legendary sword wielded by Sparda. It is said that, it has the will and the power to
divide and wipe out the darkness."

berto

I Saw the Devil
Still, that does not explain how the sword broke and ended near the portal... But we can pretty safely assume that it happened when Vergil fought Mundus.
Well, Agnus created those portals so it seems like there was no real significance of why it ended up near the gate, the gate was created near it. As for the broken blade, is it really so complicated? It's not just a broken blade from battle, it's symbolic of it's owner.

I remember someone once argued that because the blade could cut through anything it meant that it was indestructible. I couldn't convince the guy otherwise, he thought his logic was undeniable, that because it was supernaturally sharp equated to unbreakable. You can imagine how he felt about the DMC4 plot, considering his stance on the sword situation.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

And yeah, it's a pity that they didn't work more on his character, he was so promising...
As for your suggestion for reconstructing Vergil's past, I admit that at first I was being skeptical: I somehow have the fear that everything with a Vergil that cares for a human woman is in danger of being classified as bad fanfiction. I think the fault of this perception of mine can be ascribed to the fact that DMC3 shows us a completely cold version of Vergil, that leaves little room for imagining him falling in love with a human girl...
But maybe you're right, if I stop imagining this hypotetical relationship Vergil could have had as something that comes out from a sappy romance. Dunno why it gave me this impression.:ermm: Maybe it is just a bias of mine, so sorry in advance if I misinterpreted your idea! :p
So yeah, maybe in time I can come and share your version! :D

I think it's weird too to think about a romance or something like that, but it's one of the fewer things (besides he impregnating a prostitute, who doesn't seem like a thing Vergil would do too) that would explain Nero being his son. But it could be anything related to his human emotions (learning something about Sparda life as a human, besides?) holding him back at something important that should be done. But what lead me to think this story was not imagining the Vergil that is presented to us in DMC3 who is a already "developed" Vergil, when i suggested that past to him i was thinking of him being a kid that knows his past, his demon side, and his family matters, not that power seeking warrior of DMC3.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Sparda leaving Rebellion for Dante
Why is that a plot hole?

Vergil having free will and using Yamato(I asked Kamiya about the sword and got a funny reply).
That is pretty funny.

Yamato suddenly being about to "cut through anything" when the description in DMC1 said
"It's the legendary sword wielded by Sparda. It is said that, it has the will and the power to
divide and wipe out the darkness."
I think that one came about during DMC3. I can't remember where I read it but it seems that that is now the case. If the people who made it say it is so the so it is.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Why is that a plot hole?

Going by DMC1, Sparda never had more than two swords, hell even Yamato wasn't mentioned.
With the Rebellion coming outta nowhere, they pretty much shaped Sparda to be like Inuyasha's badass father.

I think that one came about during DMC3. I can't remember where I read it but it seems that that is now the case. If the people who made it say it is so the so it is.

It started with with 3. I dislike it a little because its soo cliche and it came outta nowhere.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

Plus, i don't think those descriptions forms a plothole, they not contradict themselves. They just give different descriptions with similar core ideas, besides the "cut through anything (even the darkness) could be even a reference to "divide and wipe out the darkness".

But i think that the major plotholes of DMC series are (i'm not counting any manga or novel):

- Nero himself and all hist past
- Vergil's motivations in DMC3

I'll try to remember some more for us to make a list and summarize all the plotholes.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Going by DMC1, Sparda never had more than two swords, hell even Yamato wasn't mentioned.
With the Rebellion coming outta nowhere, they pretty much shaped Sparda to be like Inuyasha's badass father.
That's not fair, for that logic according to DMC1 Sparda also only had one outfit for the last 2000 years since it didn't mention any others. It didn't say it was his one and only sword, it's ambiguity left space for it and they used it.

Wait... Yamato wasn't mentioned?

It started with with 3. I dislike it a little because its soo cliche and it came outta nowhere.
It came from DMC2.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
That's not fair, for that logic according to DMC1 Sparda also only had one outfit for the last 2000 years since it didn't mention any others. It didn't say it was his one and only sword, it's ambiguity left space for it and they used it.

Wait... Yamato wasn't mentioned?

Nope, just Force Edge/The Sparda. Yamato was only part of the LDK costume.

It came from DMC2.

But DMC2 implied that Rebellion was in fact a sword Dante made, not an heirloom from Sparda. DMC3 retconned that one(again), which goes with teh whole plot of DMC3 being a take on the InuYasha story; powerful demon daddy with three powerful swords made from himself in some way.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Yeah, it was an easter egg inclusion. As to why Sparda would have to sacrifice one of the things he was trying to protect, well...dark magics tend to work that way. Plus all the things he had to sacrifice involved either his blood or something precious to him, something he considered part of him. Again, my theory is that the priestess was a human he fell in love with and turned on the demons for

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
...Well, let's face it, even Sparda himself has become a plot hole...much like Nero is a walking plot hole. maybe that's what Capcom meant by "it's obvious what Nero's deal is." he's a walking plot hole just like Sparda! :troll:

Why Sparda is a plothole? He's just a character that we know little about, even Dante don't know too much about Sparda.

It was never mentioned how much swords Sparda had, this is not a plothole at all.

But DMC2 implied that Rebellion was in fact a sword Dante made, not an heirloom from Sparda.

And how this is implied? I seriously can't even remeber he mentioning something about Reb in DMC2 or something at the description saying anything related to his creation/story. Or it was an assumption because you think he made it for not having the Force Edge/Sparda anymore?

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Is Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne canon to DMC 2?
I mean a certain even triggers that combines Hell and Earth thus making Dante present with his DMC 2 outfit

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Is Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne canon to DMC 2?

No, it doesn't. He is just a guest character and the writer is a big fan of DMC.
Also, SMT Dante is way too OP that he can Instakill gods and other planetf*ckers in SMT from what i have heard.

Valcorn

@Redgrave, Vergil isn't that cold in DMC3, him acting evil in there was just a masquerade, the manga is mostly non-canon and retconned by the game.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
@Valcorn: Him acting evil is because he is concern with power, he even SAYS that. And the Manga is not "mostly non-canon" because it was written in conjunction with DMC3. Please stop acting like you decided what is and what is not canon just because you don't agree with it, and trying to force YOUR interpretation of Vergil as THE Canon of the character.

Top Bottom