• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Plot Holes, Questions, and Inconsistencies of DMC

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Dante, it's hard to believe in this because Capcom's games never tried too hard on that subject, even the RPGs. I mean, until today fans of Breath of Fire can't make clear conections between the games, and Capcom released five titles (most of them with good but simple plots and story) for this franchise. Megaman is even worse story-wise, and they continued releasing the games without even caring about these things. I mean, the ultimate objective of a company is to make profit (and i don't find this an evil behaviour at all, it's how it is suppose to be), if they see an easy way to make more profit they will try to convince people who were loyal to an old franchise to kept buying their reinterpretation of that franchise while trying to be appealing to a broadier audience, but in the end they've failed on that subject and started to blame and curse the old fanbase using another company as an scapegoat.

I really don't think that the story thing had a great role in the decision of rebooting, even because it never was a point that made the game sales drop or anything like this, i think that Capcom used it as an excuse for their own laziness more than the truth of why they decided to reboot the series, if they've said that the series was being rebooted to appeal to a broadier audience while secluding the old fans they would made things worse for them.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Dante, it's hard to believe in this because Capcom's games never tried too hard on that subject, even the RPGs. I mean, until today fans of Breath of Fire can't make clear conections between the games, and Capcom released five titles (most of them with good but simple plots and story) for this franchise. Megaman is even worse story-wise, and they continued releasing the games without even caring about these things. I mean, the ultimate objective of a company is to make profit (and i don't find this an evil behaviour at all, it's how it is suppose to be), if they see an easy way to make more profit they will try to convince people who were loyal to an old franchise to kept buying their reinterpretation of that franchise while trying to be appealing to a broadier audience, but in the end they've failed on that subject and started to blame and curse the old fanbase using another company as an scapegoat.

I really don't think that the story thing had a great role in the decision of rebooting, even because it never was a point that made the game sales drop or anything like this, i think that Capcom used it as an excuse for their own laziness more than the truth of why they decided to reboot the series, if they've said that the series was being rebooted to appeal to a broadier audience while secluding the old fans they would made things worse for them.
The topic of this forum is about the continuity issues and plot holes in DMC. That exist and Capcom goofed with it. Do we just shrug it off and pretend like it doesn't matter at all even when they clearly make serious attempts at telling a story? Hell, DMC 4's cut scenes as a whole clock in at almost 2 hours and that's longer than DmC which is only about a hour and a half.

Capcom using outsourcing as a blame is a dumb excuse. And also it's because they set unrealistic goals for themselves (see RE 6 and how they were literally comparing a success to the CoD amount)

I would welcome better writing and better stories in the Devil May Cry series. I don't see when improving on something you've always sucked at is chalked up as a bad thing. Maybe Devil May Cry should never bother with a story like ever. I'm always skipping the cut scenes anyway because they aren't really all that entertaining or interesting. But I guess those people who wouldn't mind the whole package living up to its fullest potential is just missing the point because we just have to ask and settle for the lowest common denominator. Heh, oh well.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda

Oh, I agree. the confusion in eth storyline was probably only a real small percentage, but it;'s one of the reasons they publisized as why they rebooted things. They were trying to get a broader audience, even Tameem commented on that when he admitted that his team's first concept was pretty much DMC5, and Capcom told them to go further away from the classic design and style. On the subject of BoF; it pretty much became the Final Fantasy at times of Capcom, especially when BoF5 just shat on everything the first four really did. And do not get me started on the clusterf**ck Megaman became..

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Oh, I agree. the confusion in eth storyline was probably only a real small percentage, but it;'s one of the reasons they publisized as why they rebooted things. They were trying to get a broader audience, even Tameem commented on that when he admitted that his team's first concept was pretty much DMC5, and Capcom told them to go further away from the classic design and style. On the subject of BoF; it pretty much became the Final Fantasy at times of Capcom, especially when BoF5 just shat on everything the first four really did. And do not get me started on the clusterf**ck Megaman became..
DmC was trying to branch out beyond just the anime crowd. I look at DmC like the Ultimate Devil May Cry though. (Comparison refers to Marvel Comics and the Ultimate series)

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
The topic of this forum is about the continuity issues and plot holes in DMC. That exist and Capcom goofed with it. Do we just shrug it off and pretend like it doesn't matter at all even when they clearly make serious attempts at telling a story? Hell, DMC 4's cut scenes as a whole clock in at almost 2 hours and that's longer than DmC which is only about a hour and a half.

Capcom using outsourcing as a blame is a dumb excuse. And also it's because they set unrealistic goals for themselves (see RE 6 and how they were literally comparing a success to the CoD amount)

I would welcome better writing and better stories in the Devil May Cry series. I don't see when improving on something you've always sucked at is chalked up as a bad thing. Maybe Devil May Cry should never bother with a story like ever. I'm always skipping the cut scenes anyway because they aren't really all that entertaining or interesting. But I guess those people who wouldn't mind the whole package living up to its fullest potential is just missing the point because we just have to ask and settle for the lowest common denominator. Heh, oh well.

I was just saying to Dante that the messed story was not the main point of rebooting it.

I prefer DMC story over DmC, even with its failures. I want to see Dante's world continued, not a new world with references to Devil May Cry. DmC story is not that good too, it was a little improving in exchange for a load of downgrade to the gameplay, DmC's story can't even compare to games like MGS3 or Dark Souls, who has very detailed, interesting and intriguing lore.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I was just saying to Dante that the messed story was not the main point of rebooting it.

I prefer DMC story over DmC, even with its failures. I want to see Dante's world continued, not a new world with references to Devil May Cry. DmC story is not that good too, it was a little improving in exchange for a load of downgrade to the gameplay, DmC's story can't even compare to games like MGS3 or Dark Souls, who has very detailed, interesting and intriguing lore.
Well not sh!t it can't compare to series such as MGS. Neither can DMC because it's awful. Metal Gear Solid has a story that puts it in a league of its own and as for Dark Souls, I don't really play it but I can see the immense depth in the personality of the world just based on what my friend talks about because he's a Dark Souls fanatic.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Well not sh!t it can't compare to series such as MGS. Neither can DMC because it's awful. Metal Gear Solid has a story that puts it in a league of its own and as for Dark Souls, I don't really play it but I can see the immense depth in the personality of the world just based on what my friend talks about because he's a Dark Souls fanatic.

Getting off-topic, but: you should play Dark Souls, man. It's such a complete game that can give enjoyment to all kinds of players, his lore is magnificient and his gameplay is simple but carries some depth to the PvP and builds you can make, as for the mechanics they are simplistic but well-functional and diverse for an RPG game. I highly recommend Dark Souls for anyone, but the lore is kinda minimalistic, you need to read a lot of things and pay attention to dialogues and item descriptions, even item and corpses locations gives you hints of the lore.

EDIT: Videos on YouTube can give you valuable information if you don't have all the time it takes to do resarch on the game by itself, i've seen a lot of videos as i don't have many hours to play it (as most of the time i need to test things on SSFIV when i'm playing or just want to relax playing DMC or another action games) and take real enjoyment for discovering new things, but i'm always watching to the community findings.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Getting off-topic, but: you should play Dark Souls, man. It's such a complete game that can give enjoyment to all kinds of players, his lore is magnificient and his gameplay is simple but carries some depth to the PvP and builds you can make, as for the mechanics they are simplistic but well-functional and diverse for an RPG game. I highly recommend Dark Souls for anyone, but the lore is kinda minimalistic, you need to read a lot of things and pay attention to dialogues and item descriptions, even item and corpses locations gives you hints of the lore.
I had Dark Souls but I sold it to a friend. He loved it so much and I hardly played it myself so I was like well pay me and you can keep it. He gave me like 20 for it which was more than I was going to get at Gamestop.

And I did not suck at Dark Souls. It just wasn't something I'd play often because I found it kind of boring at times. I can see why people like it but, it's just not my thing.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Why the hell did it take Nero 10 missions to figure out the Order was bad when he saw one of the Order Knights turn into a demon in the first mission? Surely he couldn't have been that stupid.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Why the hell did it take Nero 10 missions to figure out the Order was bad when he saw one of the Order Knights turn into a demon in the first mission? Surely he couldn't have been that stupid.

I think Nero figured out the Order was evil (errrmmm shady is a better term) when one their scientists (Agnus) stabbed him in the gut with an artificial demon sword and transformed into a demonic angel.

If anything after leaving the castle, he was heading to the HQ to figure out what the hell is going on.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
I think Nero figured out the Order was evil (errrmmm shady is a better term) when one their scientists (Agnus) stabbed him in the gut with an artificial demon sword and transformed into a demonic angel.

If anything after leaving the castle, he was heading to the HQ to figure out what the hell is going on.

Well that's absolutely stupid. After being stabbed by one of the Order's most prominent members he still doesn't know what's going on?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Depends on the situation like if she was trying to protect the kids or she was already injured and i don't think she was killed by regular hell spawns
A "Demon hunter" should do that with ease because that's what they do ! and i think the only reason Vergil and Dante survived is because they were half-demons.

as far as i know they were probably regular demons sending stronger demons would have been overkill.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
A "Demon hunter" should do that with ease because that's what they do ! and i think the only reason Vergil and Dante survived is because they were half-demons.

as far as i know they were probably regular demons sending stronger demons would have been overkill.
well i don't know like maybe a demon on arkhams level or something

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.

Maybe Mundus wanted to make sure the work was getting done, by selling higher demons?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Maybe Mundus wanted to make sure the work was getting done, by selling higher demons?
Still an overkill he already sent dozens of hell spawns and they basically destroyed the whole village if Eva WAS a demon hunter she would've killed all of them saving the village.
well i don't know like maybe a demon on arkhams level or something
why ?Just why would he need such unnecessary force for a petty thing ? besides stronger demons would just bail of out of this because they won't have any fun or challenge whatsoever.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Still an overkill he already sent dozens of hell spawns and they basically destroyed the whole village if Eva WAS a demon hunter she would've killed all of them saving the village.why ?Just why would he need such unnecessary force for a petty thing ? besides stronger demons would just bail of out of this because they won't have any fun or challenge whatsoever.

...what village? Eva lived in a modern day city with the boys. Unless you referred to the small TOWN that was in Episode 8 of the anime, which still was not a "village", and was clearly meant to be Dante being taken to safety by Nell Goldstein since Eva would have been dead then; no mention of a brother.

Top Bottom