• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Play3 Magazine Review : 8.9/10

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Never heard of Play3 Magazine. Can't even find much on Google about it. But from what I've read so far, they're not great reviewers. They gave Hitman Absolution an 8.8/10, which many people seem to disagree with.

^This was your first post in this thread.

You haven't even read the magazine and yet you question its integrity just because in your opinion Dmc doesn't deserve such grade and like i said, Hitman got pretty good reviews and a lot of people enjoyed/are enjoying it so tell me where are your "facts" in all of that?

I question its integrity, yes. But I'm not saying I'm sure they don't have good reviews.
If they want respect, they have to earn it. They don't just get it from me.

The fact that people enjoyed Hitman doesn't mean a thing. I enjoyed Fable 3, but it was still a bad game, and I rated it a 5,9 or something out of 10. As much as I like Game of the Goose, I can't say it's perfect :p Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's really good.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
I question its integrity, yes. But I'm not saying I'm sure they don't have good reviews.

The fact that people enjoyed Hitman doesn't mean a thing. I enjoyed Fable 3, but it was still a bad game.

I understand what you're trying to say its just that you're not saying it properly.

Just say "I don't agree with this review score."

Don't need to question the publication, they're just doing their jobs.

Sunaka Marién

Whether a game is fun or not is also an opinion. I can say I didn't like Gears of War 3 at all, but its gameplay is pretty damn solid. I know somebody who loves GOW3, so it depends.
Hmm, I guess I just don't fully grasp what "solid gameplay" means or how you know it's solid.
I mean, yes, sure, it depens, like, I could never rate any ego-shooters, because I just don't like that genre, but those who like it, how do they determine if the gameplay is solid or not if "fun" isn't the reason?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Hmm, I guess I just don't fully grasp what "solid gameplay" means or how you know it's solid.
I mean, yes, sure, it depens, like, I could never rate any ego-shooters, because I just don't like that genre, but those who like it, how do they determine if the gameplay is solid or not if "fun" isn't the reason?

If it works well or not. Like, shooting and taking cover in GOW works well, so that's a plus. It doesn't matter if I say I like taking cover or I hate it :p

ji-high

And i could say the exact same thing regarding you and your reviews pal.

The fact that people enjoyed Hitman doesn't mean a thing. I enjoyed Fable 3, but it was still a bad game, and I rated it a 5,9 or something out of 10. As much as I like Game of the Goose, I can't say it's perfect :p Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's really good.

So basically the only opinion that matters it's the one of those who didn't enjoy/like the game? By that logic i can also say that Bayonetta is complete and utter crap and the fact that people enjoyed it doesn't mean a thing.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
So basically the only opinion that matters it's the one of those who didn't enjoy/like the game? By that logic i can also say that Bayonetta is complete and utter crap and the fact that people enjoyed it doesn't mean a thing.

No, I'm saying opinions on both sides don't matter. I don't care if people 'enjoy playing DmC' or 'hate playing DmC'. What matters is what works and what doesn't work. It's about the facts, not the opinions.

ji-high

No, I'm saying opinions on both sides don't matter. It's about the facts, not the opinions.

And yet you used the opinion of those who think Hitman doesn't deserve an 8.8 to attack the integrity of Play3 mag. A little bit late to backpedal now man

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
And yet you used the opinion of those who think Hitman doesn't deserve an 8.8 to attack the integrity of Play3 mag. A little bit late to backpedal now man

What? :S
I said I didn't think Hitman was worth an 88/100. That's what I think, as it's not an almost perfect game.

No use in trying to accuse me of things I didn't say. I didn't attack their integrity, I'm questioning it.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Look, if you want me to leave, just say so, because I'm not going to let myself get attacked because you don't agree with what I feel is factually wrong with the game. I guess people aren't allowed to give grades below an 8 or something to what according to your opinion is a fun game. Fun has nothing to do with how good a video game is.

Breaking8ad

i am the danger, i am the one who knocks!!
Then maybe they don't have a vested interest in giving DmC high grades. Or maybe it simply depends on the reviewer in question. Gamespot and IGN do have multiple reviewers in their employ, and some of them have quite different opinions.
so does all of the different magazines and sites that have rated this game 8+ or 7+. of course you wont be able to find the play3 magazine it is deutsch... (sp?)

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
so does all of the different magazines and sites that have rated this game 8+ or 7+. of course you wont be able to find the play3 magazine it is deutsch... (sp?)

I won't find it because it's German? I don't see the logic in that. Or did I misunderstand you? If so, sorry about that.

TyIquan_DmC

I can't tell you without playing it for myself and weighing the good against the bad. What's factually wrong with it, I mean. Person B could say DmC's gameplay is inferior to that of the old DMCs because the framerate can make it choppy. That would be a fact. If it gets choppy, it gets choppy. No way around that.

At the same time, Person A could say DmC's gameplay is superior to that of the old DMCs because it's much more accessible and easier to get a handle on. That would be a fact. If it's more accessible, it's more accessible. No way around it.

I have to ask, though. If you for some reason feel that DmC is a 7, what do you think of the other games of the series and Bayonetta? Hell, MGR as well?

Breaking8ad

i am the danger, i am the one who knocks!!
I won't find it because it's German? I don't see the logic in that. Or did I misunderstand you? If so, sorry about that.
the magazine is in a different country than ours and therefore undergoes different media strategies than our country does as far as advertisements. so while xbox magazine gets marketed heavily here and everyone knows it, that country is heavily taxed and their laws rediculous according to my brother who lives there.so i can bet they dont care much if a magazine gets advertising or publicity.

also your opinion is your own. by your definition we should not waste our time with it or the reviewers opinions in these magazines.

ji-high

Look, if you want me to leave, just say so, because I'm not going to let myself get attacked because you don't agree with what I feel is factually wrong with the game. I guess people aren't allowed to give grades below an 8 or something to what according to your opinion is a fun game. Fun has nothing to do with how good a video game is.

There see? Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion just don't act like you never do so. I never said people aren't allowed to give below an 8 to a game i like. Hell somebody posted the score "Insight Factor" gave DmC(7.5) and you didn't hear me say they were wrong for giving it "only" a 7 or that nobody knows them so their opinon doesn't count. I just called you out on your questioning(it's the same thing as attacking really. It's just semantics) a magazine's integrity(one you haven't even read by the way) just because in your opinion a game doesn't deserve the grade it got from them. Finally, to me fun has everything to do with how good a game is.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
At the same time, Person A could say DmC's gameplay is superior to that of the old DMCs because it's much more accessible and easier to get a handle on. That would be a fact. If it's more accessible, it's more accessible. No way around it.

I have to ask, though. If you for some reason feel that DmC is a 7, what do you think of the other games of the series and Bayonetta? Hell, MGR as well?

True, but what does he mean by ''it's more accessible and easier to get a handle on?'' It's an argument without a basis on fact. So he would have to substantiate it first. What makes it more accessible and easier to get a handle on, and why?

I'm not sure DmC is worth a 7. I haven't played the entire game. However, I can say that if a game is awarded a 9/10, it gives off the message that it's one of the best games of this time, or perhaps one of the best games ever. The grade does reflect how good the game is, after all, not how much somebody likes it.

I'm writing a review of Bayonetta, actually, but I haven't beaten the last boss because it's a frustrating battle. A bit too chaotic, perhaps. Bayonetta would be worth around an 8/10, I think. No higher, probably.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
There see? Nothing wrong with expressing your opinion just don't act like you never do so. I never said people aren't allowed to give below an 8 to a game i like. Hell somebody posted the score "Insight Factor" gave DmC(7.5) and you didn't hear me say they were wrong for giving it "only" a 7 or that nobody knows them so their opinon doesn't count. I just called you out on your questioning(it's the same thing as attacking really. It's just semantics) a magazine's integrity(one you haven't even read by the way) just because in your opinion a game doesn't deserve the grade it got from them. Finally, to me fun has everything to do with how good a game is.

I always show how I feel about games, but that feeling you colored blue is still based on what's factually wrong and right with the game. Sorry for putting it so ambiguously. That it doesn't deserve the grade it got from them is not my opinion, it's my belief. I'm pretty sure it's not an almost perfect game that's better than the old DMCs, as the grade implies. What would you say if DmC got a 10/10? ''Well, people must love it''? I would say it's a superb game that has excellent (flawless) gameplay, story etc.

And no, questioning is not the same as attacking. I said I wasn't sure they were reliable reviewers. NOT SURE. So I can't take that review and say: ''Hey, I guess DmC is good'', like most of you do. It's a good sign, but I just don't know, and neither do you.

ji-high

That feeling you colored blue is still based on what's factually wrong and right with the game. Sorry for putting it so ambiguously. That it doesn't deserve the grade it got from them is not my opinion, it's my belief. I'm pretty sure it's not an almost perfect game that's better than the old DMCs, as the grade implies.

What you call "factually wrong and right" is still just your opinion pal. You can put something in the "minus" when someone else put it in the "plus" or simply doesn't care. A game mechanic is factually wrong only if it's broken/glitchy/whatever. You can believe that DmC doesn't deserve such a grade but ultimately it's still just your opinion, nothing more nothing less. That's just semantics really.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
What you call "factually wrong and right" is still just your opinion pal. You can put something in the "minus" when someone else put it in the "plus" or simply doesn't care. A game mechanic is factually wrong only if it's broken/glitchy/whatever. You can believe that DmC doesn't deserve such a grade but ultimately it's still just your opinion, nothing more nothing less. That's just semantics really.

Nope, what works and doesn't work in a game is not my opinion. If it were an opinion, reviewers would be out of business. Reviews would not be needed because it's all subjective.

If something works well, it works well. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Most reviewers have said the 'taking cover' mechanic in a certain game didn't work well. So you would say ''that's just your opinion, pal''? Come on.

TyIquan_DmC

True, but what does he mean by ''it's more accessible and easier to get a handle on?'' It's an argument without a basis on fact. So he would have to substantiate it first. What makes it more accessible and easier to get a handle on, and why?

Ok, then what does Person B mean by, "the framerate can make it choppy?" What's choppy, and how's the framerate at fault? Does that make it less playable, or is that simply aesthetic(which is completely grounded in opinion)? It's an argument without a basis on fact.

I'm not sure DmC is worth a 7. I haven't played the entire game. However, I can say that if a game is awarded a 9/10, it gives off the message that it's one of the best games of this time, or perhaps one of the best games ever. The grade does reflect how good the game is, after all, not how much somebody likes it.

I guess we're ignoring the fact that plenty of games get high 8s-10s. DmC isn't some anomaly, but even so, what games ARE 9s? What defines an unquestioned 9 for Lionheart1991?

I'm writing a review of Bayonetta, actually, but I haven't beaten the last boss because it's a frustrating battle. A bit too chaotic, perhaps. Bayonetta would be worth around an 8/10, I think. No higher, probably.

And the rest of the series?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Ok, then what does Person B mean by, "the framerate can make it choppy?" What's choppy, and how's the framerate at fault? Does that make it less playable, or is that simply aesthetic(which is completely grounded in opinion)? It's an argument without a basis on fact.

I guess we're ignoring the fact that plenty of games get high 8s-10s. DmC isn't some anomaly, but even so, what games ARE 9s? What defines an unquestioned 9 for Lionheart1991?

And the rest of the series?

Choppy means the game lags after each input, on screen. The framerate would be the cause of that, as it's an indication of literally the number of frames (like papers in a paper notepad) that get overturned after each other. That would make it less playable, or at least annoying to play. Have you played Dark Souls on 360? Many times the game lagged so much it would cause me to die. That's an example.

A 9 means it's excellent, with an amazing story (like one of the best stories) amazing gameplay and so on. It would have to be a masterpiece. Similarly, a 10/10 would be a perfect game that's excellent in every regard.

DMC3 would be worth (at that time) around 8.5/10, DMC2 I can't be sure about since I haven't finished it yet, and DMC1 would be around an 8/10, I guess. All based on their value back then, when games weren't as sophisticated as they are now.

Top Bottom