• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Play3 Magazine Review : 8.9/10

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I was talking about you claiming that the magazine review is questionable despite not having read it. I don't recall me questioning your judgment of the game.

Ah, right. Sorry. Been in an argument with some people on other sites and stuff.
But I was going by how they rated Hitman: Absolution. A grade of 88/100 is ridiculous, for almost any game, for that matter. The simple fact that they grade like that tells me the magazine might be questionable. I'm not saying it is, but there's a good chance it is. I don't really care about their reasons for awarding an 8.8, as they're most likely opinions, not facts based on what the gameplay, plot etc are like.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Ah, right. Sorry. Been in an argument with some people on other sites and stuff.
But I was going by how they rated Hitman: Absolution. A grade of 88/100 is ridiculous, for almost any game, for that matter. The simple fact that they grade like that tells me the magazine might be questionable. I'm not saying it is, but there's a good chance it is. I don't really care about their reasons for awarding an 8.8, as they're most likely opinions, not facts based on what the gameplay, plot etc are like.
Is it really that unbelievable for Absolution to get an 88? It could be that the reviewer prefers the linearity of it compared to the sandboxy game play of past Hitman titles.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Is it really that unbelievable for Absolution to get an 88? It could be that the reviewer prefers the linearity of it compared to the sandboxy game play of past Hitman titles.

What the reviewer prefers doesn't matter. In fact, it's the reviewer's job to be unbiased and keep his own preference out of his reviews. Of course, he can add his own humor and so on.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Dude that's completely incorrect. No review is ever objective and reviews are meant to be opinions not gospel truth.

Reviews are meant to - what else - review games. Reviews cannot and may not contain the reviewer's opinion, at least not in the sense that they can use it to influence their grading. If the reviewer grades something an 88/100 and says he did it because ''he liked the main character because he once knew somebody like him/her'' or he liked his shoes or whatever stupid reason, that reviewer has failed. If it's a good reason that's backed up by arguments, that's fine.

You can't just say: ''I liked the linearity of the game''. Sure, that's a reason, but it's not backed up by arguments. It's the kind of reason a child may give you when you ask them why they did something: 'because'.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Reviews are meant to - what else - review games. Reviews cannot and may not contain the reviewer's opinion, at least not in the sense that they can use it to influence their grading. If the reviewer grades something an 88/100 and says he did it because ''he liked the main character because he once knew somebody like him/her'' or he liked his shoes or whatever stupid reason, that reviewer has failed. If it's a good reason that's backed up by arguments, that's fine.

You can't just say: ''I liked the linearity of the game''. Sure, that's a reason, but it's not backed up by arguments. It's the kind of reason a child may give you when you ask them why they did something.

A lot of people like linearity because it helps gives the story some direction and stops the story from becoming irrelevant.

That's the argument.

Just accept the 89 for DmC man. You may not agree with the particular review, but its not fair to blame the publication for the score. I'm sure some magazine or site will give it a 5/10 or whatever score you were expecting.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
A lot of people like linearity because it helps gives the story some direction and stops the story from becoming irrelevant.

That's the argument.

Just accept the 89 for DmC man. You may not agree with the particular review, but its not fair to blame the publication for the score. I'm sure some magazine or site will give it a 5/10 or whatever score you were expecting.

Correction: that would be your argument. Others would argue that linearity doesn't have any effect on the story. It didn't really have an effect on the story of Final Fantasy 8 either. FF8 was open world.
So, I'm not sure I would call that an argument. It's an opinion.

I will not accept the grade until I get an idea of what the full game is like. I doubt Hitman is actually worth an 88/100. A lot of reviews are based on emotion too much.

Sunaka Marién

You can't just say: ''I liked the linearity of the game''. Sure, that's a reason, but it's not backed up by arguments. It's the kind of reason a child may give you when you ask them why they did something: 'because'.
Um, you have to keep in mind that this is a German magazine, and as far as I know, they always give rather high grades here, so a game getting 88% isn't that strange at all, especially since everythig below 80% is usually considered as of questionable quality/no fun/ not being worth to be played, I think.
And idk, but, I think it's perfectly normal and legitimate that the reviewers opinion is included to a certain degree, simply because you cannot judge anything completely leaving out your own opinons/prefernces. In fact, this is what many people want (at least here), they know a certain reviewer and know that said reviewers taste is similar to their own, which makes the review much more valuabe for them. Sure reviewers try to be as objective as possible - a good example is GameOne's review of Dishonored; the reviewer was rather disappointed with it, and also said so, but he still tried to point out the good points of this game and make the review fair.

ji-high

Never heard of Play3 Magazine. Can't even find much on Google about it. But from what I've read so far, they're not great reviewers. They gave Hitman Absolution an 8.8/10, which many people seem to disagree with.

Please keep that kind of crap for Whinerfaqs or Youtube. You are free not to like a game but to question the honesty of a review just because you don't agree with the score is exactly what a hater would do. Hitman got good reviews all across the boards and a lot of people did enjoy it a lot so i don't know what you are trying to prove here. Besides, i personally think Bayonetta is a crappy game. Yes the gameplay is top notch but i hate everything else with a burning passion yet i don't question the integrity of the people who gave it 9s and even 10s.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Um, you have to keep in mind that this is a German magazine, and as far as I know, they always give rather high grades here, so a game getting 88% isn't that strange at all, especially since everythig below 80% is usually considered as of questionable quality/no fun/ not being worth to be played, I think.
And idk, but, I think it's perfectly normal and legitimate that the reviewers opinion is included to a certain degree, simply because you cannot judge anything completely leaving out your own opinons/prefernces. In fact, this is what many people want (at least here), they know a certain reviewer and know that said reviewers taste is similar to their own, which makes the review much more valuabe for them. Sure reviewers try to be as objective as possible - a good example is GameOne's review of Dishonored; the reviewer was rather disappointed with it, and also said so, but he still tried to point out the good points of this game and make the review fair.

That's true, but again, one's opinion is not the same as arguments. I'm saying they can include their opinion, but it shouldn't impact the grade. I watch Angry Joe too, just to know what a game might be like. I don't take his opinions as arguments, though.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Please keep that kind of crap for Whinerfaqs or Youtube. You are free not to like a game but to question the honesty of a review just because you don't agree with the score is exactly what a hater would do. Hitman got good reviews all across the boards and a lot of people did enjoy it a lot so i don't know what you are trying to prove here. Besides, i personally think Bayonetta is a crappy game. Yes the gameplay is top notch but i hate everything else with a burning passion yet i don't question the integrity of the people who gave it 9s and even 10s.

I have good reason to disagree with the score, because I believe the review might be based on their emotions and opinions too much. I prefer never to use the word hater, either, as it deprecates people, and I don't want to do that without reason.

See, what you think about Bayonetta is your opinion. You ''hate everything else''. Well, that doesn't matter. Hate is not part of the equation. It's good minus bad, not 'fun minus what you don't like about it'.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
I have good reason to disagree with the score, because I believe the review might be based on their emotions and opinions too much. I prefer never to use the word hater, either, as it deprecates people, and I don't want to do that without reason.

See, what you think about Bayonetta is your opinion. You ''hate everything else''. Well, that doesn't matter. Hate is not part of the equation. It's good minus bad, not 'fun minus what you don't like about it'.
And what he hates is considered bad to him.

Sunaka Marién

That's true, but again, one's opinion is not the same as arguments. I'm saying they can include their opinion, but it shouldn't impact the grade. I watch Angry Joe too, just to know what a game might be like. I don't take his opinions as arguments, though.
But we don't know if his opinion really had an impact on the grade :/ He might have just said that without including it into the calculation. I don't know how Play3's grades are being calculated, though.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
But we don't know if his opinion really had an impact on the grade :/ He might have just said that without including it into the calculation. I don't know how Play3's grades are being calculated, though.

I don't know that either, I just question the review, but I'm not absolutely sure the magazine is s/h/i/t.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Correction: that would be your argument. Others would argue that linearity doesn't have any effect on the story. It didn't really have an effect on the story of Final Fantasy 8 either. FF8 was open world.
So, I'm not sure I would call that an argument. It's an opinion.

I will not accept the grade until I get an idea of what the full game is like. I doubt Hitman is actually worth an 88/100. A lot of reviews are based on emotion too much.
I would appreciate it if you didnt put words in my mouth. I don't give 2 craps about stories in games, especially in a devil may cry. All i said is that some people like linear games and it's perfectly reasonable to say that it gave the story direction. Perhaps the reviewer thought more about the story because it was linear rather than open world, which is a positive.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I would appreciate it if you didnt put words in my mouth. I don't give 2 craps about stories in games, especially in a devil may cry. All i said is that some people like linear games and it's perfectly reasonable to say that it gave the story direction. Perhaps the reviewer thought more about the story because it was linear rather than open world, which is a positive.

Look, saying the linearity helps the story is not an actual argument. That's what I'm saying. No need to get defensive about it. I meant it would be somebody's opinion, not a fact. What people like doesn't factor into the grade of reviews.

Top Bottom