• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Play3 Magazine Review : 8.9/10

GF9000000Returns

Not that again. I just find it hard to believe DmC gets an 89/100. It's an exorbitantly high grade, don't you agree? It would be almost a perfect game, which is improbable.

If the story and gameplay is good, then why not? It's their opinion. I would give it a score like that too IF the story's good. I already love the gameplay and graphics.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Reviewing is about tallying up the good and bad points of the game. To say something is a bad point because you don't like it is ridiculous. So is saying something is a good point because you like it. You have to present arguments.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
If the story and gameplay is good, then why not? It's their opinion. I would give it a score like that too IF the story's good. I already love the gameplay and graphics.

An 89/100 to me implies that the game has a plot that almost couldn't be better. That it has infallible characters. Excellent acting. Nearly perfect gameplay. I've not seen any of that so far. It's not a sin to grade games a bit lower, like a 7/10.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Reviewing is about tallying up the good and bad points of the game. To say something is a bad point because you don't like it is ridiculous. So is saying something is a good point because you like it. You have to present arguments.
Arguments are opinions as well.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
An 89/100 to me implies that the game has a plot that almost couldn't be better. That it has infallible characters. Excellent acting. Nearly perfect gameplay. I've not seen any of that so far. It's not a sin to grade games a bit lower, like a 7/10.
Exactly. YOU have not.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Look, saying the linearity helps the story is not an actual argument. That's what I'm saying. No need to get defensive about it. I meant it would be somebody's opinion, not a fact. What people like doesn't factor into the grade of reviews.

Who said that linearity doesn't help story? You? Who said that DmC doesn't deserve an almost perfect score? You?

What we have here is a classic case of "I don't like it, so it must Suck." Ad Hominem.

I'm sorry you were expecting "3/10 no lock on no styles too much wub wub ninja theory sucks."

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Arguments are opinions as well.

No, they're not. Arguments for something should be based on facts, not opinions. You don't evaluate a game by saying ''Hey, I liked it, so I'll give it a 9/10''. You do it by tallying up the good points and bad points of the game, as I said in my previous comment.

GF9000000Returns

Once again...OPINION! You're just an anti so what do you know anyway?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Who said that linearity doesn't help story? You? Who said that DmC doesn't deserve an almost perfect score? You?

What we have here is a classic case of "I don't like it, so it must Suck." Ad Hominem.

I'm sorry you were expecting "3/10 no lock on no styles too much wub wub ninja theory sucks."

Like you said, don't put words in my mouth. I said it's subjective. You may say that linearity helps story, I may say it doesn't. Since it's subjective, it can't be part of a review.

Sunaka Marién

Not that again. I just find it hard to believe DmC gets an 89/100. It's an exorbitantly high grade, don't you agree? It would be almost a perfect game, which is improbable.
*ehem* I know I said it before, but I really feel the need to say it again: It's a German review.
It's like that in Germany. I think it started sometime during the PS2 era (or was it before? I don't remember exactly), when the difference between good an bad games was pretty big, so to make this differece more obvious, they stardted to give the good games some 90% scores, while the medicore ones got 60-80% and the bad ones were at 0-50%. And it just kinda stayed like that. The End :p

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
No, they're not. Arguments for something should be based on facts, not opinions. You don't evaluate a game by saying ''Hey, I liked it, so I'll give it a 9/10''. You do it by tallying up the good points and bad points of the game, as I said in my previous comment.
Killing is bad but when a soldier defends his country by killing other people, he's considered a hero. Does that mean killing is good or is killing bad? See how this works? Killing is both good and bad.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
*ehem* I know I said it before, but I really feel the need to say it again: It's a German review.
It's like that in Germany. I think it started sometime during the PS2 era (or was it before? I don't remember exactly), when the difference between good an bad games was pretty big, so to make this differece more obvious, they stardted to give the good games some 90% scores, while the medicore ones got 60-80% and the bad ones were at 0-50%. And it just kinda stayed like that. The End :p

Eeeh, alright then. I honestly don't know about things being different in Germany. Though giving mediocre games about 60/100 instead of 80 to 90 is only logical.

ji-high

I have good reason to disagree with the score, because I believe the review might be based on their emotions and opinions too much. I prefer never to use the word hater, either, as it deprecates people, and I don't want to do that without reason.

See, what you think about Bayonetta is your opinion. You ''hate everything else''. Well, that doesn't matter. Hate is not part of the equation. It's good minus bad, not 'fun minus what you don't like about it'.

I thought it was pretty obvious that what i hate(the oversexualisation of the main character for example) equals what i find bad; and i might be wrong but when reviewing a game people usually put in the "good" part what they liked about the game and in the "bad" part what they didn't so you are not really making sense here.

Well, that's not how he should think about it. What you don't like isn't by definition something bad.

It is bad for me and it's all that matters when i'm playing the game. Not what some reviewer or some "pro" think about said game. I hate first person view in video games so to me all the FPS are crappy games and nothing anybody says can change my opinion on that matter. Millions of people like this kind of game though and i'm not gonna say that they have bad taste or that the reviewers who give Halo, Far Cry, Half Life or Bioshock near perfect scores are biased or paid. Different strokes for different folks.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Killing is bad but when a soldier defends his country by killing other people, he's considered a hero. Does that mean killing is good or is killing bad? See how this works? Killing is both good and bad.

Yes, killing is bad. It doesn't matter if you're in the army; you're still killing people. Justify it all you want.

We were talking about reviewing games - about arguments and opinions, not moral issues.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I thought it was pretty obvious that what i hate(the oversexualisation of the main character for example) equals what i find bad; and i might be wrong but when reviewing a game people usually put in the "good" part what they liked about the game and in the "bad" part what they didn't so you are not really making sense here.

It is bad for me and it's all that matters when i'm playing the game. Not what some reviewer or some "pro" think about said game. I hate first person view in video games so to me all the FPS are crappy games and nothing anybody says can change my opinion on that matter. Millions of people like this kind of game though and i'm not gonna say that they have bad taste or that the reviewers who give Halo, Far Cry, Half Life or Bioshock near perfect scores are biased or paid. Different strokes for different folks.

As I said, it's good you aren't a reviewer, then, because all of that is your opinion, and opinions should not be used to influence the grade given in a review.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Like you said, don't put words in my mouth. I said it's subjective. You may say that linearity helps story, I may say it doesn't. Since it's subjective, it can't be part of a review.

What are you talking about? Subjectivity is definitely allowed in reviews. Reviews aren't facts, they're opinions.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
What are you talking about? Subjectivity is definitely allowed in reviews. Reviews aren't facts, they're opinions.

Opinions are allowed in reviews, but not when they influence the grade. I keep saying that, and I hope I don't have to again. If I say I don't like the new Dante, that's too bad. It's not an argument against the game, you see.

Top Bottom