• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Play3 Magazine Review : 8.9/10

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Yes, killing is bad. It doesn't matter if you're in the army; you're still killing people. Justify it all you want.

We were talking about reviewing games - about arguments and opinions, not moral issues.
Here's a thought. Have you ever written a review? I'd like to read it and see if there is any trace of opinions in it.

GF9000000Returns

I'm not 'anti' at all, lol. I guess now comes the time when people start accusing me of things. Sad that I can't have a discussion here.

No you act like the Germans are speaking the truth about how the game really is when it's honestly like that. Same goes for IGN and Gamespot, it's their opinions, not God talking to you.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Here's a thought. Have you ever written a review? I'd like to read it and see if there is any trace of opinions in it.

I'm sure you'll find my opinions in them, but I wouldn't let them influence the grade. That's the point. The grade should be based on what's good and bad about the game, not what you like and don't like.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
Opinions are allowed in reviews, but not when they influence the grade. I keep saying that, and I hope I don't have to again. If I say I don't like the new Dante, that's too bad. It's not an argument against the game, you see.

So you're saying review scores aren't meant to reflect the content of the review?

What are you saying?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
No you act like the Germans are speaking the truth about how the game really is when it's honestly like that. Same goes for IGN and Gamespot, it's their opinions, not God talking to you.

Reviews should not be influenced (not the grade, at least) by opinions. Have I said it often enough now? :p

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
So you're saying review scores aren't meant to reflect the content of the review?

What are you saying?

Reviews are supposed to show the good and bad about the game. Opinions can be included in the review, of course. That's what makes people want to read them, and it shows them whether or not they will like the game, based on their personalities. However, opinions may not affect the final grade.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
What is 'good' and what is 'bad' is defined by one's opinions.

What is good and what is bad is defined by how well it works. In game reviews they are, at least. You can say third person view in Oblivion doesn't work well. In fact, it doesn't. So that's a fact, not an opinion.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'll take the average user score over the critic score any day. I guess we'll have to wait how DmC does on Metacritic. Please keep in mind not to turn to websites such as Gamespot or IGN, as they may get paid for giving a very favorable review. I'm not even kidding.

On Metacritic, people are going to be giving the game terrible scores out of spite. And then the pros are going to try and backlash that with numerous reviews giving it glowing praise. I can see it now...

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
On Metacritic, people are going to be giving the game terrible scores out of spite. And then the pros are going to try and backlash that with numerous reviews giving it glowing praise. I can see it now...

XD

But seriously, I'd take average scores over one score by one person any day. Especially if it's the user score average. Unless that average is based on reviews that aren't really reviews, but just bashing.

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
What is good and what is bad is defined by how well it works. In game reviews they are, at least. You can say third person view in Oblivion doesn't work well. In fact, it doesn't. So that's a fact, not an opinion.
Guy A says DmC's combat works well. Guy B says DmC's combat doesn't work well. Tell me, who is right and who is wrong?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You just can't say a feature of the game is bad because ''you don't like it''. That's an opinion, not an argument. If I say I like it, look what happens to your review. I just debased it entirely.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Guy A says DmC's combat works well. Guy B says DmC's combat doesn't work well. Tell me, who is right and who is wrong?

I can't tell you without playing it for myself and weighing the good against the bad. What's factually wrong with it, I mean. Person B could say DmC's gameplay is inferior to that of the old DMCs because the framerate can make it choppy. That would be a fact. If it gets choppy, it gets choppy. No way around that.

GF9000000Returns

Reviews should not be influenced (not the grade, at least) by opinions. Have I said it often enough now? :p

Whatever man. If you secretly get the game and gave it a 4/10 for irrelevant reasons, prepare for us to bark at you just like you barked at this review. What goes around comes around.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Whatever man. If you secretly get the game and gave it a 4/10 for irrelevant reasons, prepare for us to bark at you just like you barked at this review. What goes around comes around.

I wouldn't do that. I review games based on what's good and bad about it. The factual flaws and strong points.

ji-high

*facepalm*. I base what I think about the game (reviews) on what's factually wrong and right with it, not what I like and don't like. What about you?
Never heard of Play3 Magazine. Can't even find much on Google about it. But from what I've read so far, they're not great reviewers. They gave Hitman Absolution an 8.8/10, which many people seem to disagree with.

^This was your first post in this thread.

You haven't even read the magazine and yet you question its integrity just because in your opinion Dmc doesn't deserve such grade and like i said, Hitman got pretty good reviews and a lot of people enjoyed/are enjoying it so tell me where are your "facts" in all of that?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
But what about fun then? Fun is always subjective, and if gameplay, for example, is good or bad depends on how much fun it is, dosen't it?

Whether a game is fun or not is also an opinion. I can say I didn't like Gears of War 3 at all, but its gameplay is pretty damn solid. I know somebody who loves GOW3, so it depends.

Top Bottom