• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Non-Sparda Directions the series could take

Gray Knight

With 1, 3 and 4 we had stories that really centered on Sparda and his legacy.
After having 3 & 4 have to plot center on claiming Sparda's power people I guess are tired of that point.
Some people suggest a Sparda prequel but any ideas on where this series can go beyond Sparda?
The Sparda legacy is kind of a focus point of the series but how would they organically expand outside of it.

Would you introduced a great demon Sparda has no affiliation to. Angels maybe? (Fallen exist in DMC 3 and the seven sins statues so Angels are canon, just not properly explored).

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hmm, it's kinda hard to decide since every game has Sparda feature prominently.

I guess I would go with something completely different, maybe a story about a human who is forcibly made into a demon human hybrid and has to fight off both humans and demons alike...I dunno sounds kinda dumb but I'm struggling to think of something cool.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
In the anime, there was another human-demon couple so maybe exploring how their lives turned out could be interesting.

I wanted to do a Nero spinoff that focused on the cultural strife in Fortuna that rose up after Santus's defeat.

Maybe have Dante meet his namesake?

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
angels could work, should be refreshing and interesting to see what they'll look like..

but a new powerful demon could always work, maybe from a long long time way before the age of sparda.. and maybe combine it with the angel thingy and the fallen thingy and that he might be the first angel to fall on the human realm for whatever reason when demons run it.. make it a contrast with sparda, a demon being good while this guy an angel turned bad..

gotta ask, has sparda always been the strongest demon of all demon history?

Viper

Premium
DMC2 had a story that was not about Sparda, except for a brief mention here and there without much impact, more of a curiosity thing than anything important. Following that formula again, only better, would work just fine for me. Maybe they can even do that war for throne that was mentioned in the anime, dip into different cultures, etc.

Please no angels, everyone and their mother has already done "demon vs angel and humanity in between" theme.

NessPSI

Tony Redgraaaave!
There are plenty of interesting ways DMC could go. I think it would be nice to have a non demon antagonist for once. Take Aeron Lowell from the anime for example. A magician/alchemist who could use magic to bend demons to his will. Sounds pretty badass to me. Make someone like that into an antagonist and you got yourself a decent enough villain. Not some old guy who is doing what they do because thats want a taste of that sparda power.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
There are infinite non-Sparda stories that could be told, just youtube/netflix/comic book/manga search anything related to the supernatural and you'll see that there infinite directions that can be told on the subject, just add action to it and there we go. I don't understand how this is such a difficult thing to get across or why there is this notion that there are no more stories that can be told with DMC.

Veloran

It's a bit difficult, for all intents and purposes Sparda is the Jesus of Devil May Cry's universe, and his importance to both Demons and Humans can't be overstated.

You could go the route of angels, but that's both overdone and doesn't really fit the series very well. There are miscellaneous gods that are around which fall outside the established duality that could make good antagonists, think the goddess of time and space.

Beyond that maybe a sort of eldritch "old god" thing could work, go in a more horror direction, but that runs the risk of blobby tentacle monster bosses, nobody likes those.

Sesha

For the record, according to Itsuno there are no angels in the DMC universe. Only the human world and the demon world. The "angels" we've seen so far have all been demons.

DMC4 seemed to be building up to bringing back Mundus. Personally I dislike Mundus as both a character and a plot thread, so a fun twist (for me) is if Mundus gets resurrected during DMC5, but is almost instantly offed by another demon that the game has spent time building up.

gotta ask, has sparda always been the strongest demon of all demon history?

AFAIK, it's never been specified that he's the strongest. Only power scaling based on him beating Mundus. On the other hand, Sparda died while Mundus apparently can only be sealed away, suggesting that Mundus is actually stronger.

Beyond that maybe a sort of eldritch "old god" thing could work, go in a more horror direction, but that runs the risk of blobby tentacle monster bosses, nobody likes those.

That's simply a matter of creativity. There's plenty of diversely shaped entities in the Lovecraft Mythos, as well as in Lovecraftian-inspired fiction.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Sparda died while Mundus apparently can only be sealed away, suggesting that Mundus is actually stronger.

But immortality doesn't mean Mundus is stronger. You can still lose a fight even if you don't die. Sparda did beat him and his whole army after all. And Sparda died cause he ended up sealing away part of his demonic power in the first place.

Viper

Premium
But immortality doesn't mean Mundus is stronger. You can still lose a fight even if you don't die. Sparda did beat him and his whole army after all. And Sparda died cause he ended up sealing away part of his demonic power in the first place.
Exactly, Arkham even said it, that it was embracing humanity what made Sparda die. If he had kept his demonic power, and not sealed it away out of fear what he may do with it, he would still be alive and kicking.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Y'know, I found the Order in 4 to be an interesting concept. An organisation of humans trained to fight against the demons. Such a shame that it was so underused in 4.

I hope it would be explored in a possible sequel.

Viper

Premium
Y'know, I found the Order in 4 to be an interesting concept. An organisation of humans trained to fight against the demons. Such a shame that it was so underused in 4.

I hope it would be explored in a possible sequel.
It wasn't even the first time such concept appeared, the unwanted child called DMC2 already introduced the clan that protected Vie de Marli. It was seriously underused even then, though they at least had the excuse that only Matier and Lucia were still left.

It would make sense there are more such organizations, Sparda couldn't be everywhere at all times, Dante can't be everywhere at all times, not all humans can just sit and wait to be killed, they would at least try to fight back.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
How about actually inspecting the nature of the Demon Underworld? How it functions, the hierarchy among the demon hordes...what would happen if someone like Dante or Nero were to plunge into its depths. Would the presence of one of Sparda's kin do something, or have any effect on things there?

It's something we've been given brief glimpses of, but never a proper explanation of. I understand the makers of this series are rather reluctant to expand on many aspects of the lore, but given the role demons and hell play in a franchise called Devil May Cry, one would assume it would be the target of priority when it came to explaining things.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
How about actually inspecting the nature of the Demon Underworld? How it functions, the hierarchy among the demon hordes...what would happen if someone like Dante or Nero were to plunge into its depths. Would the presence of one of Sparda's kin do something, or have any effect on things there?

It's something we've been given brief glimpses of, but never a proper explanation of. I understand the makers of this series are rather reluctant to expand on many aspects of the lore, but given the role demons and hell play in a franchise called Devil May Cry, one would assume it would be the target of priority when it came to explaining things.

The first novel tried by having Dante feel sick and get weak whenever he ventured into an underworld like zone.

WolfOD64

The first novel tried by having Dante feel sick and get weak whenever he ventured into an underworld like zone.
I remember that. It was a cool idea---not entirely dissimilar to Vampire Hunter D's Heat Syndrome weakness.

It's a shame it isn't canon anymore...it would've been the closest anyone came to writing an actual weakness for Dante and breaking him out of his Gary Stu mold.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
An idea I thought of, a long time ago back when people were thinking of a female main antagonist, was what if Mundus had a daughter, and she was trying to free her father, or take over the underworld.

WolfOD64

An idea I thought of, a long time ago back when people were thinking of a female main antagonist, was what if Mundus had a daughter, and she was trying to free her father, or take over the underworld.
We almost had a female antagonist for DMC4 with Kyrie.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I'm not so sure, I liked how it ended in DMC1 and personally don't want to see Mundus become Dracula from Castlevania.

I really think we need a new protagonist and a fresh break from Sparda. You can still have Dante and/or Nero appear but I really can't see where their stories would go if they were the protagonists. But at the same time, I'm not sure Capcom would risk taking a bold approach like that, especially considering what's happening to their other franchises.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm not sure DMC fans would react well to a new hero/heroine since most were against Nero's spotlight in 4. Outside of the personal connection Sparda has with Dante, he's used as a way to establish a sense of scale which might be harder to replicate.

But playing a high ranking demon knight would be a good way around all this....

Top Bottom