• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory on DMC reboot: "we're not pretending we're Japanese, or apologising for it"

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Alright, I'll try make a comment on here now. Let's see how long it takes before my opinion gets shot down then:
See first off all i would like to say two things "Originality" and "taking key elements" and meshing them to make one product isn't unoriginal

People are saying dante is generic is pretty right because there are tons of van helsing wannabe movies and the whole concept of devil hunter isn't original but you can't blame it now can you ?

COD is FPS shooter and considered as God of FPS shooters even though it has such a overused themes of WW2 and defense of nations but no one points that out so take Dante also on that road that's what i am trying to say

Well i consider DMC4 to bullshit i am not western but i am not familiar with the eastern culture either:oops: i am south asian lol basically i don't really have a sense of both respective cultures:confused: but for me DMC4 was utter B.S only thing interesting about DMC4's story was nero and the cheese is just too much dante acted like some joker wearing dante's skin and behaving like a turd while in anime and other games he's completely normal

I actually took it for granted in DMC3 that he's pretty young but DMC4 30+ age doesn't really suit him

yeah they are but dante has the charm i am not referring to his face its overall look its just looks totally different than dante

*we've seen totally red contrast is gone now its replaced by black with slight red contrast which nero also had that didn't make him dante *the body build is completely opposite of old dante it used to be healthy and bright and now its kinda weaker and anti-hero looking

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Thanks Chaos Raiden for the upload. As always your awesome. But I think a big reason we Westerns play Japanese video games, read Manga, watch Anime, and secretly wish and pray we were Japanese (guilty) is because we LIKE the crazy hair, the over top clothing, the big eyes, with tiny nose and mouth. Could you image Dragon Ball Z if Son Goku looked like a normal Western person? Inuyasha would not be a hit if he looked like us Westerns. We loved Classic Dante's looks and some how I think we Westerns could relate to him more than New Dante. Classic Dante loves pizza and strawberry sundays, he has drums, guitars, and loves rock and roll. Dante also has family issues, with all this how could anyone say Classic Dante is not Westerner enough?

Western People have and/or like:
Junk food
Rock N Roll
Family problems

Classic Dante has all of these things and that's why we can relate to him, plus he has the crazy hair, and outfits and that ladies and gentlemen is what made us LOVE Dante and the DMC series.
Capcom I now declare to you, "a Boot to the head!"
*Capcom gets hit with a boot*

Tiran

The great pretender.
Seriously, this argument of the two Devil may cry's is really an argument of style against substance. Micheal Bay vs. Christopher Nolan.

I think anime characters were the coolest things ever, but I realize they represent the absolute antithesis of what my perspective on life is. I don't relate to the original Dante, his story and presentation was a deviation from reality for me, and that was fine. sometimes, however, I like to pop in a good, meaningful, well told and performed film and delve away from the over-the-top goodness of junk anime.

A character isn't relatable just because he eats a certain food or likes a certain type of music. He's relatable through his perspective, actions, emotions and reactions based on the things that occur around him. If Dante carries any emotional, or personal baggage, it's not shown well and what we do know is just told to us through dumped exposition or character vomit at convenient times. He never became a character until the last act of DMC 3 and that's the climax- way too late to start building a character!

People who are fans need to admit the truth: Devil May Cry is a shallow, fun, good time and nothing else. It's never been.

ZeroLove

Seriously, this argument of the two Devil may cry's is really an argument of style against substance. Micheal Bay vs. Christopher Nolan.

I think anime characters were the coolest things ever, but I realize they represent the absolute antithesis of what my perspective on life is. I don't relate to the original Dante, his story and presentation was a deviation from reality for me, and that was fine. sometimes, however, I like to pop in a good, meaningful, well told and performed film and delve away from the over-the-top goodness of junk anime.

A character isn't relatable just because he eats a certain food or likes a certain type of music. He's relatable through his perspective, actions, emotions and reactions based on the things that occur around him. If Dante carries any emotional, or personal baggage, it's not shown well and what we do know is just told to us through dumped exposition or character vomit at convenient times. He never became a character until the last act of DMC 3 and that's the climax- way too late to start building a character!

People who are fans need to admit the truth: Devil May Cry is a shallow, fun, good time and nothing else. It's never been.

Quoted for truth.
Devil May Cry has never been about anything meaningful or had a deep story. It's about action, style and cool-factor. Much like a Hollywood action movie. That's not a bad thing though, it is something Devil May Cry does this very well! But to say it has a deep story and the characters are relatable would simply be lying, because that has never been what Devil May Cry is about.

That might change in this new Devil May Cry though, but we have yet to see.

Ana

...You haven't been watching the right kind of anime. Or maybe you can't relate to anything that's outside of a very narrow spectrum of "realistic."

I agree DMC was over the top, unrealistic and very shallow, but please don't blame that on the "anime" aesthetic and don't group all anime together like that.

ZeroLove

...You haven't been watching the right kind of anime. Or maybe you can't relate to anything that's outside of a very narrow spectrum of "realistic."

I agree DMC was over the top, unrealistic and very shallow, but please don't blame that on the "anime" aesthetic and don't group all anime together like that.

Animé is generally unrealistic, but indeed not all. One of my favourite animé is very realistic, both in style, story and concept, though at times there are some very cartoony stuff thrown in, especially when the characters are showing certain emotions. But that's just how animé is and there's nothing wrong with that.

Tiran

The great pretender.

MOST anime is over the top and exaggerated by nature. Yes, there are those that are more realistic, but, they are greatly outnumbered and DMC is not in that category.

MY definition of realistic is:

realistic

[ree-uh-lis-tik]
re·al·is·tic
adjective
interested in, concerned with, or based on what is real or practical: a realistic estimate of costs; a realistic planner.
pertaining to, characterized by, or given to the representation in literature or art of things as they really are: a realistic novel.
resembling or simulating real life: a duck hunter skilled at making realistic decoys.
Philosophy . of or pertaining to realists or realism.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
There are millions of anime and there are so many genres.
You guys are probably just lazy to watch those genres because you guys are so hooked by shonen animes such as naruto.

Tiran

The great pretender.
There are millions of anime and there are so many genres.
You guys are probably just lazy to watch those genres because you guys are so hooked by shonen animes such as naruto.
I don't watch much anime to begin with and mostly movies, not extended series. I have seen many different anime. It doesn't change my opinion.

Tiran

The great pretender.
kay.
Its 1000x better though imo than those retarded cartoon crap.
Thank you. The more substantial, deeper, artistically driven and more realistic ideally driven and relatable anime that delve away from the superficial and stereotypical tropes of the genre are... Aren't they?

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Thank you. The more substantial, deeper, artistically driven and more realistic ideally driven and relatable anime that delve away from the superficial and stereotypical tropes of the genre are... Aren't they?
→.

ZeroLove

A more girly/mature animé called Paradise Kiss is quite realistic. It's about a regular college girl who is asked to be a model for this small team of fashion-design students who is working on a dress for their final exam. Nothing big or flashy like many of those shonen animé (animé for boys) such as Naruto, Bleach etc., just a nice, simple and entertaining animé about real-life stuff.

Though not all girly animé (can't remember the name for girly animé) are realistic. For example, Fruit Basket is about a girl who meets these boys who can turn into animals if they get hugged. XD

It's just that the more flashy animé are the ones who are known in the western world.

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
hey guy's i watch shonen anime and i like um a lot but since quite a while ive decided to watch other anime's to like the realistic or comedy ones can anyone tell me about some good decent anime's apart from these action shonen ones i really wanna watch um :)

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Say that to Hideki Kamiya and DMC 1:
The game that made DMC what it is, story and gameplay.

After DMC 1 , DMC became exactly what you say : shallow, fun, good time and nothing else.

But before Hideki left DMC had a good story foundation gameplay.
So you NEVER know the plans Hideki or his coworkers who worked with him on the story had for Devil May Cry.

Top Bottom