• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory on DMC reboot: "we're not pretending we're Japanese, or apologising for it"

ZeroLove

Say that to Hideki Kamiya and DMC 1:
The game that made DMC what it is, story and gameplay.

After DMC 1 , DMC became exactly what you say : shallow, fun, good time and nothing else.

But before Hideki left DMC had a good story foundation gameplay.
So you NEVER know the plans Hideki or his coworkers who worked with him on the story had for Devil May Cry.

What makes you think they had any plans? They might as well have just made Devil May Cry to be a single, stand-alone game without any plans for sequals. And maybe that's why he wasn't on the team who made DMC2.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
What makes you think they had any plans? They might as well have just made Devil May Cry to be a single, stand-alone game without any plans for sequals. And maybe that's why he wasn't on the team who made DMC2.
1) He wasn't around for 2,3 and 4.
2) The story went to hell.
3) Bayonetta
4) He's creator of DMC because he had major role in it's creation
5) Dante in DMC 2, 3 and 4 are just bad copies of DMC 1. DMC 3 - to "Have to say something cool" , DMC 2 "I am sad and serious", DMC 4 "Who the hell am i?".

Is that enough or do i have to get Hideki to say it himself? (Actually that's a good idea).

ZeroLove

1) He wasn't around for 2,3 and 4.
2) The story went to hell.
3) Bayonetta
4) He's creator of DMC because he had major role in it's creation
5) Dante in DMC 2, 3 and 4 are just bad copies of DMC 1. DMC 3 - to "Have to say something cool" , DMC 2 "I am sad and serious", DMC 4 "Who the hell am i?".

Is that enough or do i have to get Hideki to say it himself? (Actually that's a good idea).

Not a single one of those points answered any of my questions above. XD

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Not a single one of those points answered any of my questions above. XD
Ok, look at Bayonetta. It's a game Hideki made with his collegues at PG.
Bayonetta is a hack and slash
Bayonetta main character says "Flock off feather face"
There is more DMC stuff in the game.
Including attacks similar to DMC.

So that tells you what? Hideki liked DMC. He wanted to keep on making DMC.
After Hideki left (DMC 1) what happened? The DMC games story became what many people call "unconsistent", and is part of the reason why DmC was made. And the Capcom team that was left after DMC 1, tried to make something out of the foundation Hideki and key members layed out for DMC, but they failed.

Even Dante's character got messed up, and Hideki's response to Ninja theory's Dante is "Dante that were made after DMC 1 was always different from the Dante i created in first place".

ZeroLove

Ok, look at Bayonetta. It's a game Hideki made with his collegues at PG.
Bayonetta is a hack and slash
Bayonetta main character says "Flock off feather face"
There is more DMC stuff in the game.
Including attacks similar to DMC.

So that tells you what? Hideki liked DMC. He wanted to keep on making DMC.
After Hideki left (DMC 1) what happened? The DMC games story became what many people call "unconsistent", and is part of the reason why DmC was made. And the Capcom team that was left after DMC 1, tried to make something out of the foundation Hideki and key members layed out for DMC, but they failed.

Even Dante's character got messed up, and Hideki's response to Ninja theory's Dante is "Dante that were made after DMC 1 was always different from the Dante i created in first place".

Oh, I never questioned wether or not Kamiya was passionate about Devil May Cry. What I asked was that what if Kamiya never wanted to make a sequal to DMC1. And maybe that's why he wasn't on the team to make the others.

I don't think Capcom failed with the sequals though. I'm not a fan of DMC2, but I think the best Devil May Cry game is definately the 3rd one of them all.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Oh, I never questioned wether or not Kamiya was passionate about Devil May Cry. What I asked was that what if Kamiya never wanted to make a sequal to DMC1. And maybe that's why he wasn't on the team to make the others.

I don't think Capcom failed with the sequals though. I'm not a fan of DMC2, but I think the best Devil May Cry game is definately the 3rd one of them all.
I just told you that Hideki likes DMC. If someone is passionate about a game they made - why the hell would they not make a sequel when it's obviously possible?

DMC 3 was first DMC i bought and i liked it alot, but i honestly didn't find it's story so great. It was basically a new story just like DMC 2's with Arkham being the bad guy.
I would rather have seen the story that key members that made DMC 1 story had planned.

DMC 3 had impressive stuff though, not saying it doesn't.

ReRave

smug jerk

I am not entirely sure, but I remember hearing that Capcom fired Kamiya for something. I can't puzzle it back together, but there was something about ihm not being loyal to the company, if I remember correctly. Extreme measures.

Edit: Nope, my bad, Kamiya left of his own accord.
Funny though, I just read that Kamiya didn't even design Dante. A guy named Tsuchibayashi did that.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
If Keiji Inafune came back to Capcom, the entire building complex would burst into flames, and capcom would be awesome once again, :D (they are still awesome, but not as great as back in 2001-2005)

Tiran

The great pretender.
Say that to Hideki Kamiya and DMC 1:
The game that made DMC what it is, story and gameplay.

After DMC 1 , DMC became exactly what you say : shallow, fun, good time and nothing else.

But before Hideki left DMC had a good story foundation gameplay.
So you NEVER know the plans Hideki or his coworkers who worked with him on the story had for Devil May Cry.

Story, Characters... hmm? Dude.....

Yeah... He was really going places with this premise. Honestly, as cheesy and frivolous the story for DMC is, seeing Bayonetta proved, story-wise, Hideki Itsuno is the best thing to happen to the franchise so far, by far.

Jaxxy

i liked dmc 1 and dmc 3.......only because dmc 3 kind of made sense as a prequel to dmc 1. but dmc 2 and dmc 4......eh....not so much. but i did like certain elements though.

ninja theory is hypocrite......i'm pretty sure they borrowed the 'ninja' word from japan and slapped it next to their 'theory'.

just hearing tameem's interviews of what he sees dmc dante as.....makes me want to shave off his bad hair and make him look identical to alex jones.

the game play is okay......

CoolDemon

X will never be Y

Yeah... He was really going places with this premise. Honestly, as cheesy and frivolous the story for DMC is, seeing Bayonetta proved, story-wise, Hideki Itsuno is the best thing to happen to the franchise so far, by far.
Hideki Itsuno was the best thing to happen to the franchise storywise yet after Hideki left DMC serie storyline have been inconsistent. Nice video by the way. Are you a fan of DMC story at all? Because if your a fan - how come you seem to like that video? If it's not something you like - then why even bother with it?

That video by the way is not "nice" - it's not even funny:
1) Dante's hair is white and the cover of the magazine in the animation says "Why is his hair grey - is he like 70?" (Big fail at joke).

2) The magazine "Dante" has a diaper on him (really funny joke right? Nooo...)

Seems like a DMC hater made that animation.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium

oh NO!!! Egoraptor found DMC?!!!

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze

Trian i think you crave for a well baked story i suggest you play some RPG games they are strictly focused on story not focused on gameplay

Convicting a series which is solely focused on gamplay for having a shallow story is pointless

I know i also despise DMC4 for making it a love story and introducing lady gaga and clown dante but others are just fine

Tiran

The great pretender.
Trian i think crave for a well baked story i suggest you play some RPG games they are strictly focused on story not gameplay focused on gameplay

Convicting a series which is solely focused on gamplay for having a shallow story is pointless

Suggesting that a series that focuses on gameplay has anything other than a shallow story is... What? I'm not putting down the gameplay. I'm simply putting the series into perspective. It is what is is and never succeeded in being anything more, ever. It's all about the gameplay. It's all about looking cool and stylish. Devil May Cry sacrifices coherent story, consistent, believable characters and any depth for awesome gameplay and over-the-top presentation- It now no longer holds the monopoly in that area as it once did now all that's been outdone by a rival studio. Devil may cry must also grow in a new and different direction to stay relevant or just be buried in a sea of same-old titles. It can't be Bayonetta, it can't be ninja gaiden. So, it's taking it's combat and shedding it's greatest weakness to gain a strength none of it's rivals have. Although, it does come at the cost of the white hair, which I liked and hope will return by the end of the game, and (choke) Thirty frames. ...But truly, watching a cutscene from Heavenly Sword, The thought of a real character, someone I care about in a more than superficial way- busting out an aerial rave, get-over-here claw grab, roulette spin into a scythe prop shredder on some unlucky ass-wipe ... damn... How can that not at least make you curious?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Suggesting that a series that focuses on gameplay has anything other than a shallow story is... What? I'm not putting down the gameplay. I'm simply putting the series into perspective. It is ?

Devil May Cry sacrifices coherent story, consistent, believable characters

SACRIFICES ??? ha ha ITS only because DMC 4 was a major joke you need to REBOOT WHY ??? can't they just make another DMC5 with proper dante's personality and connected indulging story ??

DMC4 doesn't mean the end of the world as you are all screaming "oh they'll lose to the rival" blah blah

images
images

honestly saying the game covers show how mediocre these games are ! huh ! and NT never had a clasp on gameplay its all that hollywood "slo-motion" "zoom the camera" crap

HateU

Le bystander

SACRIFICES ??? ha ha ITS only because DMC 4 was a major joke you need to REBOOT WHY ??? can't they just make another DMC5 with proper dante's personality and connected indulging story ??

DMC4 doesn't mean the end of the world as you are all screaming "oh they'll lose to the rival" blah blah

images
images

honestly saying the game covers show how mediocre these games are ! huh ! and NT never had a clasp on gameplay its all that hollywood "slo-motion" "zoom the camera" crap

i also thought dmc 4 was not the end of the world. although i was upset at the intro of nero, i only hope that he disappeared or have a cameo appearance in a dmc 5 if there was going to be one.

of course i dislike seeing the idea of seeing dante as an even older cheesier geezer. but at least i hope that dmc 5 would've give the dmc franchise a good ending. and then we can move on to ninja theory's version *pukes*

Tiran

The great pretender.

images
images

You forget... This isn't heavenly sword or Enslaved. Ninja and Capcom are constantly reworking mechanics to get this game as good as it can be. Also, capcom had no ideas for story nor character. That is obvious as the reason they went with a company that does those things well. Absolutely none of the stories in DMC have ever been well told or deep in any non-superficial way, it won't magically happen with a 5th game. There's no magic light bulb to turn on that give them sudden story-telling prowess. There's no "O.k. we were just kidding with the last FOUR games, here's the real good story" button to press. Stop kidding yourself. It wouldn't happen. It would just be another disappointment or not happen at all anyway.

Dante47

I loved DMC 4, and a reboot wasn't needed but it gave new chances for a newer studio and the series. Mind you all, three different studios (including Ninja Theory) are working on DmC, Ninja Theory is just the face.

Top Bottom