• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory on DMC reboot: "we're not pretending we're Japanese, or apologising for it"

berto

I Saw the Devil
When you get down to making a big deal out of why Dante wears a red coat, it's a little ridiculous to act like an explanation is even necessary. Maybe Dante just likes red. He's got a show off personality. Why not?

I can tell you one thing I read once. The implication is that Dante once dealt in mercenary work and do to his deminer he made enemies but when they came to kill him none survied. When they were trying to kill him the bullets would just go through him or he'd vanish and reapear leaving dead bodies behind and since he wore red the natural thought would be 'it's the devil.'

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well I agree and disagree with their interview.

I agree on the western functionality bit but offer a repose. Most JRpGs deal with a fantasy world that has its own rules. The people behind DMC never bothered to explain to us what kind of world it is.Plus some characters's get ups felt odd like Dante's outfit in 1 or didnt make sense given the context like Gloria in 4.

I disagree on the notion that NT was hated on because they werent a Japanese developer. Fans hated them because they ignored the mythos of DMC for something easier to work with. We wanted you to fix capcom's mess, not throw it out and start new.

ZeroLove

Alright, I'll try make a comment on here now. Let's see how long it takes before my opinion gets shot down then:

Well I agree and disagree with their interview.

I agree on the western functionality bit but offer a repose. Most JRpGs deal with a fantasy world that has its own rules. The people behind DMC never bothered to explain to us what kind of world it is.Plus some characters's get ups felt odd like Dante's outfit in 1 or didnt make sense given the context like Gloria in 4.

I disagree on the notion that NT was hated on because they werent a Japanese developer. Fans hated them because they ignored the mythos of DMC for something easier to work with. We wanted you to fix capcom's mess, not throw it out and start new.

Dante's Devil May Cry 1 outfit looked very much inspired by the one Blade wears, with the armoured vest inside a long coat, practical boots and so on. As for Gloria's outfit, that was just pure eye candy. It is true though that it is very typically animé style to think about what looks cool and not what looks practical where as the western mindset is reverse. It's just the way it is and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There's no need to point fingers or blame anyone for it, because that's not going to change anything. Our cultures are just different from one another.

The whole "We're not pretending we are Japanese nor making apologies for that." is just them saying that they deal with what they know instead of trying to follow a style they are not used to. They are a British company, so they are using their own personal experiences and knowledge and put it into their games and I think that is what Capcom wants - to westernize the franchise and expand the fanbase.

Ana

Dante's Devil May Cry 1 outfit looked very much inspired by the one Blade wears, with the armoured vest inside a long coat, practical boots and so on. As for Gloria's outfit, that was just pure eye candy. It is true though that it is very typically animé style to think about what looks cool and not what looks practical where as the western mindset is reverse. It's just the way it is and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. There's no need to point fingers or blame anyone for it, because that's not going to change anything. Our cultures are just different from one another.

The whole "We're not pretending we are Japanese nor making apologies for that." is just them saying that they deal with what they know instead of trying to follow a style they are not used to. They are a British company, so they are using their own personal experiences and knowledge and put it into their games and I think that is what Capcom wants - to westernize the franchise and expand the fanbase.

First: They're British? Huh. I didn't know that.

Second: I think it's incorrect to say that westerners necessarily prize function over looks. There's no way the west can ever live down superhero outfits. Or the Matrix, for that matter. I don't think there's as direct a correlation as you're making it sound.

Gloria was too far though, I agree.

ZeroLove

First: They're British? Huh. I didn't know that.

Second: I think it's incorrect to say that westerners necessarily prize function over looks. There's no way the west can ever live down superhero outfits. Or the Matrix, for that matter. I don't think there's as direct a correlation as you're making it sound.

Gloria was too far though, I agree.

Ninja Theory is British, yes. :p

As for looks/function, it is generally speaking, of course. There are a few exceptions, as always, like the ones you mention.

Oh, and I loved Gloria's look. It is so hot and so inappropriate! I love that! XD

Ana

Oh, and I loved Gloria's look. It is so hot and so inappropriate! I love that! XD

I didn't like Gloria for the same reason I didn't like Bayonetta. Too over the top. Too much. Lady was hot. Trish was hot (though her DMC4 corset is much much better than DMC1). Gloria... meh. Absurd and unnecessary.

Of course, I also dislike Gloria because she's such a pointless throwaway that goes nowhere.

ZeroLove

I didn't like Gloria for the same reason I didn't like Bayonetta. Too over the top. Too much. Lady was hot. Trish was hot (though her DMC4 corset is much much better than DMC1). Gloria... meh. Absurd and unnecessary.

Of course, I also dislike Gloria because she's such a pointless throwaway that goes nowhere.

You do know that Gloria and Trish is the same person, right?

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat

This is true, but compare Batman's spandex outfit of the fifties to his modern one. It's a lot less showy and a bit more practical now, I think.

And the Matrix was completely inspired by Ghost in the Shell, aesthetic-wise.

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
But the gameplay in PoP and AC is very similar. Just like DmC and DMC.

The story in DmC is not the same as DMC. The reason why DmC has so many DMC ideas is because DmC is a new game that uses ideas from DMC.

The character of DmC is not DMC Dante. DmC character is a Dante made by Ninja theory.
The story of DmC is not the same as DMC.

So what DmC and DMC has in common is gameplay.
But like i pointed out so does AC and PoP. But despite that they are two different series.

You see, does every hack and slash game have the style, attitude, and difficulty of the Devil May Cry series?
Bayonetta and Darksiders. And they are both pretty new series. DMC serie has been around for 11 years now.
Darksider's combat is nothing like DMC's. Neither is the attitude. Bayonetta can be called a spin-off because it's essentially the same thing.
I said that AC and PoP is similar in gameplay, but the thing that sets them apart are some gimmicks and the story. Also, I don't think PoP has the puppet system of AC.
Now, I still don't understand what you mean by them calling DmC Dante the same as DMC Dante.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
DmC dante is a different person than dmc dante. NT only reffers to origidante when explaining the diferences between them.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Alright, I'll try make a comment on here now. Let's see how long it takes before my opinion gets shot down then:

My opinion gets shot down all the time.
No big deal, just try again.

Blade's outfit is more practical and I dont see how Dante's DMC1 outfit is practical. I think our cultures are more in common than people think cause I've seen plenty of 90's comic book characters that look more outlandish than DMC.

I get what you are saying, I just dont know if they did the right thing.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
westernize the franchise and expand the fanbase.??
Capcom is trying to do what it isn't ! they're doing it all wrong dammit !
they've turned their Resident evil "Survival horror" into left for dead in third person shooter falcon punching people -_-"
They've changed the genre it used to be "survival horror"

zombies drop money or ammo every damn time you kill them and you can't possible spindle kick a whole group of zombies you would only would get your leg broken its not a kung fu game you are supposed to be scared by zombies and unwilling to encounter them but this game just encourages you for more killing so that you can upgrade your weapons

NOW they want to westernise the DMC ?? which was never western it had tons of eastern elements which made this game awesome ! and btw dante is kinda based on 80's rock-star not some moody teenager who wants to slit his wrists because "no one cares" pfft

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Darksider's combat is nothing like DMC's. Neither is the attitude. Bayonetta can be called a spin-off because it's essentially the same thing.
I said that AC and PoP is similar in gameplay, but the thing that sets them apart are some gimmicks and the story. Also, I don't think PoP has the puppet system of AC.
Now, I still don't understand what you mean by them calling DmC Dante the same as DMC Dante.
They talk about DmC Dante as if it's DMC Dante by saying "the changes to Dante". DmC is a new character so he's not been changed, he's been created.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
westernize the franchise and expand the fanbase.??
that would be amusing to see so it means western people like skinny and nasty looking demon hunter wannabe ?
Capcom is trying to do what it isn't ! they're doing it all wrong dammit !
they've turned their Resident evil "Survival horror" into left for dead in third person shooter falcon punching people -_-"
They've changed the genre it used to be "survival horror"
this game just encourages you for more killing so that you can upgrade your weapons
I assume you have not seen the japanese version of re4

Top Bottom