• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory on DMC reboot: "we're not pretending we're Japanese, or apologising for it"

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I think they should at least release a demo so we can know a two or a thing about the REAL GAMEPLAY.
Because as gamers,we feel the gameplay more by playing it not by watching it.

Ana

I think they should at least release a demo so we can know a two or a thing about the REAL GAMEPLAY.
Because as gamers,we feel the gameplay more by playing it not by watching it.
HA HA HA

keep dreaming

(I wish that too, but that's not very likely, not any time soon. :cool: )

ReRave

smug jerk
The issue is that they emphasize their Western-ness, how totally western they are, when they themselves have been influenced by the east. ...That looks about right. I guess it just rubs certain fans the wrong way...?
That's just not true. They stated, that they are Westerners. They sure as hell didn't rub "I AM WESTERN THEREFORE EVERYTHING I CAN DO IS WESTERN" in your face, did they now? I just get the feeling, that a lot of people want to hate NT so much, they read **** into everything.

Well, whatever. Honestly, I wish they'd stop talking about the old Dante already. I liked him in some ways, didn't like him in some others. But this passive-aggresive way NT is constantly bringing him is just... I've had enough of it. More than enough.
Of course they bring up old Dante everytime they say something. It's the main reason, people hate on them. Not talking about criticists.

Stop talking about how the new Dante makes more sense and start showing him! Dito.
I wanna know about him! Where he learned to fight, where he got his guns, who his parents are, whether he has a brother, what he's like. You are one of a handful of people. Welcome to war. ;D

He looks quite hot Forgive me for not noticing you are a girl... Ooops.

, short black hair and dark coat and all, there's no need to feel so insecure, Think about that again, would you?

NT! Gimme more! MOAR! Please do, guys.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
But people don't dislike NT only.
Keji Inafune is another person i dislike.

Capcom, Keji Inafune and NT.

Scums of recent time.

Which is why i hope Capcom company goes bankrupt.
I hope Hideki and Platinum Games learn from Capcom and Ninja theory so that their company don't turn out to be like them.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
I'm unsure of what you mean by using the word hypocrite in this context? You can be inspired by another culture/influence regardless of which one you grew up with. I don't think it makes you a "hypocrite" to use either style - Western or Eastern - with whatever you're creating. If their directive was "use more of a Westernised feel" then that's what they did; just because previous games in their repertoire were more of a Japanese feel doesn't make them hypocrites. It would if they said, "we don't do Japanese styles. That's not our thing. We're not influenced by the culture and we'd never consider even inferring the style into any of our products". Granted, I've not read every interview or seen every video of NT, but so far I've not seen/heard anything like that statement coming from them.

Well, it's like how they talk about being so western, their inspiration being all western culture, western media etc. but still there previous games had an Asian flavour. Given, they haven't said anything like they are never gonna include any Asian influence but still speakin' so much about them being all western and then using eastern themes doesn't really gets down my throat. Perhaps I'm very stubborn!

With what they have said in the interview VB posted, they are referring to their "growing up with western media" for the purposes of why this particular title is how it is - nothing more or less than that, from what I can see. I'm not entirely sure why their other games need come into it at all seeing as they are not what are mentioned within the interview in relation to DmC.

Okayyyy... I didn't see those ... it's about time I check those out.

Ana

The issue is that they emphasize their Western-ness, how totally western they are, when they themselves have been influenced by the east. ...That looks about right. I guess it just rubs certain fans the wrong way...?
That's just not true. They stated, that they are Westerners. They sure as hell didn't rub "I AM WESTERN THEREFORE EVERYTHING I CAN DO IS WESTERN" in your face, did they now? I just get the feeling, that a lot of people want to hate NT so much, they read **** into everything.

They might not have gone that far, but there's a certain... subtext? feeling? to their comments that seems... mildly west-elitist. Well, communication is imperfect and everyone perceives the message differently, based on their own preconceptions. Who knows what NT actually meant.

Well, whatever. Honestly, I wish they'd stop talking about the old Dante already. I liked him in some ways, didn't like him in some others. But this passive-aggresive way NT is constantly bringing him is just... I've had enough of it. More than enough.
Of course they bring up old Dante everytime they say something. It's the main reason, people hate on them. Not talking about criticists.

I'm not sure what you mean...? I really am tired of hearing about him. New Dante shouldn't exist as a reflection of Old Dante. I want him to be more established as his own character.

He looks quite hot Forgive me for not noticing you are a girl... Ooops.
short black hair and dark coat and all, there's no need to feel so insecure, Think about that again, would you?
???? Well, I'm thinkin', quite happily...
Hey, don't judge my priorities! There's nothing wrong with a perfectly healthy concern for the shape of the butt I'll spend hours seeing... (That sounded better in my head.) Anyway, no one complained about Nariko having half a skirt and a sexy back, now did they?

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Well, it's like how they talk about being so western, their inspiration being all western culture, western media etc. but still there previous games had an Asian flavour. Given, they haven't said anything like they are never gonna include any Asian influence but still speakin' so much about them being all western and then using eastern themes doesn't really gets down my throat. Perhaps I'm very stubborn!
Haha! We're all very stubborn in this thread, I reckon ;) I just think within the context of the article, they are simply emphasising the influences behind the direction change in terms of style and appearance. Granted, a lot of emphasis, but still not nearly as much as is perhaps being perceived?

I'm not a smart person, so take what I say with a massive pinch of salt. And then throw it over your shoulder, sumo style :D

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
Haha! We're all very stubborn in this thread, I reckon ;) I just think within the context of the article, they are simply emphasising the influences behind the direction change in terms of style and appearance. Granted, a lot of emphasis, but still not nearly as much as is perhaps being perceived?

I'm not a smart person, so take what I say with a massive pinch of salt. And then throw it over your shoulder, sumo style :D
You dumbo!

baby_dumbo_hugs.gif

ReRave

smug jerk
They might not have gone that far, but there's a certain... subtext? feeling? to their comments that seems... mildly west-elitist. How come people read subtext into something, when they can't even hear the intonation? Subtextual messages are not hidden in what is said, but how it is said, so let's just take the statements for what they are and not what they might be. At least that's what I do.

Well, communication is imperfect and everyone perceives the message differently, based on their own preconceptions. Who knows what NT actually meant.
I am not sure how to phrase this, so my point gets across, but here goes: NT probably meant, that they feel secure enough to take a Western approach to the series, seeing that they live in Western society themselves. Eastern might be in their repertoir, but doing Western stuff comes more natural to them. As i said before: Enslaved might be inspired by the chinese Journey to the West, but it sure didn't feel like it was straight outta China.

I'm not sure what you mean...? I really am tired of hearing about him. New Dante shouldn't exist as a reflection of Old Dante. I want him to be more established as his own character.
People bitch and moan about how Dante isn't the same anymore. So they have to draw comparisons to point out to the audience, why new Dante looks the way he does.

It's about the waves of misinformation, misinterpretation and mostly mindless madness (henceforth known as the 3 constants of DmC-discussions) that has spread like a wildfire all over the internet. NT was threatened and is being insulted by "fans" on a minutial (can i write it like that?) basis. I would be scared ****less by a mob of neckbearded fanboys, that want to destroy the reputation of my company.
Point is: Every new piece of info is being scoped for insults and possible changes in comparison to the old franchise to be bashed afterwards: if something is remotely similiar to DMC, it's called a rehash; if it's something new, it's a change no one likes. That is, how most of the old league think about this game.

Hey, don't judge my priorities!
I don't.
There's nothing wrong with a perfectly healthy concern for the shape of the butt I'll spend hours seeing...
You won't: he wears a long-coat. :D
(That sounded better in my head.)
Probably not.
Anyway, no one complained about Nariko having half a skirt and a sexy back, now did they?
You did see vidya-heroines before, did you? Ivy? Lara? ;)

Ana

Ohohoho! You asked for it now! It's 6 am, I haven't slept and it's on now!

They might not have gone that far, but there's a certain... subtext? feeling? to their comments that seems... mildly west-elitist. How come people read subtext into something, when they can't even hear the intonation? Subtextual messages are not hidden in what is said, but how it is said, so let's just take the statements for what they are and not what they might be. At least that's what I do.

Patently untrue! Subtext exists in the phrasing of messages as well! If I wrote, "Dante sure has a large sword," you could, if you chose to, see that as me implying something about certain private measurements! However, my actual text only talks about his sword! Subtext is simply anything you choose to read into, beyond the most basic surface meaning. (In fact, it's a kind of subtext that you assume which Dante and which sword I'm talking about!) Subtext is crucial to communication, but it can be easily misunderstood!

(Don't get on this subject. My mom is a Communication scholar and I had to edit all her work.)

Since it's all subtext, we can't really know what NT meant, so I'll just drop this point. We understand what we "heard," but we obviously read it differently, so that's that. I'll concede that you're probably right. I can be stupidly oversensitive.

People bitch and moan about how Dante isn't the same anymore. So they have to draw comparisons to point out to the audience, why new Dante looks the way he does.

It's about the waves of misinformation, misinterpretation and mostly mindless madness (henceforth known as the 3 constants of DmC-discussions) that has spread like a wildfire all over the internet. NT was threatened and is being insulted by "fans" on a minutial (can i write it like that?) basis. I would be scared ****less by a mob of neckbearded fanboys, that want to destroy the reputation of my company.
Point is: Every new piece of info is being scoped for insults and possible changes in comparison to the old franchise to be bashed afterwards: if something is remotely similiar to DMC, it's called a rehash; if it's something new, it's a change no one likes. That is, how most of the old league think about this game.
Bah! Fans are pansies! And anyway, they'll be unhappy either way, so a better strategy would be to convince those that want to be convinced - and those people don't want to keep hearing about Old Dante. (I still keep reading a sort of mild implication that the new version is superior. I don't like that, so I wish they'd stop talking about him.)

There's nothing wrong with a perfectly healthy concern for the shape of the butt I'll spend hours seeing...
You won't: he wears a long-coat. :D
Anyway, no one complained about Nariko having half a skirt and a sexy back, now did they?
You did see vidya-heroines before, did you? Ivy? Lara? ;)

Nero wore a long coat too, but he jumped around quite a bit, so I saw plen.... Er. Well, anyway.
And I'll have you know Kratos had some truly amazing thighs way back when!
(Wait, what the hell am I trying to prove this that example?!)
Lara was also quite sexy, even with basic polygons! Ivy... meh. Too much. Now Sophitia...
...I feel like I lost the thread of conversation there.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I think it would be more odd if NT didn't big up their own Dante version - not many companies would wax lyrical about previous incarnations of a character and then add a bit about their own, almost as an afterthought. It's not necessarily that NT's Dante is superior but he's kind of theirs, really, so naturally they'll be more inclined towards promoting him over the original Dante.

Ana

I think it would be more odd if NT didn't big up their own Dante version - not many companies would wax lyrical about previous incarnations of a character and then add a bit about their own, almost as an afterthought. It's not necessarily that NT's Dante is superior but he's kind of theirs, really, so naturally they'll be more inclined towards promoting him over the original Dante.
I just wish they'd talk more about their own Dante, instead of going on and on about the old one, in a slightly perhaps superior tone, and then adding maybe something about their Dante.

I mean, look at what they say. "The old Dante didn't have a reason for why his hair was white and his coat was red, but ours does. (We're not gonna tell you what it is.)" This... this... tease.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
They are using DMC Dante to draw attention to DmC Dante. That's what it is bottom line.

Why the hell did it take 1 year to make the character design? Why??? Because if it was a out of "Dante" character it would be bad for sales.

Ninja theory haven't proved a crap to me when it comes to character making. They are using concepts from a already loved character named Dante and applied it to their version of A Dante.
And they aren't telling things as it is - that DmC Dante is not DMC Dante because that would be bad for sales, and it would be bad for their own creation.

Like you said DmC character should be it's own character and not be a character that has to answer to a other character. But that's not how it is. When Tameem talks he mentions "explore Dante's early years" or "Changes" or crap when DmC Dante is a new character.

How can a new character "changed" when it's new? That implies DmC Dante is DMC Dante hence why "he's changed".

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I'm just being moronic, as usual - there's just so much emphasis on this white hair business.

Ana

@ Ana - Maybe there'll be a whole mini-game devoted to his hair?
...Maybe that's what the Secret Missions will be.
NT: Well, fanboys and girls, you want white hair, you have to go through these insanely grueling 20-something missions. We guarantee "white hair" by the end. Have fun~ <3

DmC - causing premature gray hair in gamers since 2012.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
...Maybe that's what the Secret Missions will be.
NT: Well, fanboys and girls, you want white hair, you have to go through these insanely grueling 20-something missions. We guarantee "white hair" by the end. Have fun~ <3

DmC - causing premature gray hair in gamers since 2012.
Don't be like that. I really dislike people making it into white hair issue.

It ****es me off. Because ignorant people go on about white hair.

Such as a girl on a gameshow who said "Next time you guys send death threats over white hair go f yourself".
And the funny thing? She talked about death threats she had not seen.

But really bad joke on your part Ana.

Ana

Don't be like that. I really dislike people making it into white hair issue.

It ****es me off, it creates hate in me. Because ignorant people go on about white hair.

Such as a girl on a gameshow who said "Next time you guys send death threats over white hair go f yourself".
And the funny thing? She talked about death threats she had not seen.

But really bad joke on your part Ana.

S-sorry...?

(I think "black hair" is fine too...? Mighty fine, in fact.)

Top Bottom