• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory on DMC reboot: "we're not pretending we're Japanese, or apologising for it"

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
okie dokie, what i mean is that it is another game within the devil may cry series, however it is non-canon.
I honestly don't see how it is a DMC game. Because my definition of a DMC game is one that is part of DMC serie (1,2,3 and 4). When i think DMC i don't think of it's gameplay.
Gameplay is a major factor in DMC but what defines the term and name "Devil May Cry" is Dante and the story.
Otherwise the game could be called "Don't Make Crayons".

Let's look at a scenario:
Capcom makes a new game. The Main character name is Brea. She's a death god with a scythe and sword.
The story is different.

But the gameplay - the "DMC DNA" (as people call it) is 100% in this new game called "Balance". And it's of course a hack and slash.

Despite character and story being completely different but the gameplay is 100% same type as in DMC - would you find it appropriate to call the game for a "DMC" game just because of gameplay is the same?
I think you wouldn't.

As i have said before Ninja theory is praised to be great at storys. I have read and heard that so many times.
So they can probably pull off making completely new main character and story, b ut keep DMC type of gameplay. But that's not the case with DmC. In DmC concepts from DMC are used for story and character. And only answer i can think of is that Capcom wants money therefor they don't dare to try something new.
So i don't think the DMC elements in DmC is there because it's meant to be a DMC game, but more as a incentive for people who are big fans of DMC Dante and story to buy the game.

Darksiders and especially Bayonetta have great gameplay. And Bayonetta's gameplay seems like "DMC DNA" (I haven't played it but it looks that way alot).
But does that make Bayonetta a "DMC" game? No, it's called Bayonetta.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I honestly don't see how it is a DMC game. Because my definition of a DMC game is one that is part of DMC serie (1,2,3 and 4). When i think DMC i don't think of it's gameplay.
Gameplay is a major factor in DMC but what defines the term and name "Devil May Cry" is Dante and the story.
Otherwise the game could be called "Don't Make Crayons".

Let's look at a scenario:
Capcom makes a new game. The Main character name is Brea. She's a death god with a scythe and sword.
The story is different.

But the gameplay - the "DMC DNA" (as people call it) is 100% in this new game called "Balance". And it's of course a hack and slash.

Despite character and story being completely different but the gameplay is 100% same type as in DMC - would you find it appropriate to call the game for a "DMC" game just because of gameplay is the same?
I think you wouldn't.

As i have said before Ninja theory is praised to be great at storys. I have read and heard that so many times.
So they can probably pull off making completely new main character and story, b ut keep DMC type of gameplay. But that's not the case with DmC. In DmC concepts from DMC are used for story and character. And only answer i can think of is that Capcom wants money therefor they don't dare to try something new.
So i don't think the DMC elements in DmC is there because it's meant to be a DMC game, but more as a incentive for people who are big fans of DMC Dante and story to buy the game.

Darksiders and especially Bayonetta have great gameplay. And Bayonetta's gameplay seems like "DMC DNA" (I haven't played it but it looks that way alot).
But does that make Bayonetta a "DMC" game? No, it's called Bayonetta.
mkay those are some pretty good points, and i can see how you view that. however the reason i consider it a devil may cry game is because well despite the "rebirth" of it, it is called devil may cry, and i know alot of people don't accept this as a devil may cry game and if they don't want to then they don't have to view it as one, but capcom owns devil may cry and if capcom says this is devil may cry then it's devil may cry. if it wasn't devil may cry, well we wouldn't be discussing it on this forum right now :p

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
mkay those are some pretty good points, and i can see how you view that. however the reason i consider it a devil may cry game is because well despite the "rebirth" of it, it is called devil may cry, and i know alot of people don't accept this as a devil may cry game and if they don't want to then they don't have to view it as one, but capcom owns devil may cry and if capcom says this is devil may cry then it's devil may cry. if it wasn't devil may cry, well we wouldn't be discussing it on this forum right now :p
Well one thing is trying to change people's perceptions of things by forcing it on them.
But as you said Capcom owns DMC.

So they can make a new term called "DMC" (not actual reference to DMC original serie):
"DMC" games are games with gameplay like DMC.

But i guess it's a "DMC" game if Capcom says so.

Ana

mkay well franchise then
Entries in a franchise can be quite far apart. Take everyone's favorite Mega Man example. Battle Network has a completely different setting and style than the X series. I like both well enough, and they're both Mega Man games, but they're really not the same. At all.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Well one thing is trying to change people's perceptions of things by forcing it on them.
But as you said Capcom owns DMC.

So they can make a new term called "DMC" (not actual reference to DMC original serie):
"DMC" games are games with gameplay like DMC.

But i guess it's a "DMC" game if Capcom says so.
i kinda feel like if they were to make a sequel to DmC, it would be kinda like what you said they would probably just use the DmC to represent devil may cry, and then a subtitle after it. for example: DmC: Sparda's Shadow
however i think DmC will just be an experiment and they will not continue with a sequel to it.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
i kinda feel like if they were to make a sequel to DmC, it would be kinda like what you said they would probably just use the DmC to represent devil may cry, and then a subtitle after it. for example: DmC: Sparda's Shadow
however i think DmC will just be an experiment and they will not continue with a sequel to it.
I hope after DmC that DMC serie dies as well.

It really feels pretty stale without Hideki. And DMC 2 and 4 was like Hansel and Gretel going into forest but finding no house made out of candy (as in DMC 2, and 4 not being consistent to story).

DMC 3 was ok, but didn't explain to much about story. It only told us a alternative version of how Vergil got caught.

DMC 1 story owns. The look on Dante's face when he thinks back at his and Vergil's birthday:
4:46 great story telling moment

And if only thing that matters most for you in DMC is the gameplay then DMC 4 and 3 is very good at it. Why go play ModernWarfare 3,4 and 5 when Modernwarfare 2 or 1 is just as good.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Entries in a franchise can be quite far apart. Take everyone's favorite Mega Man example. Battle Network has a completely different setting and style than the X series. I like both well enough, and they're both Mega Man games, but they're really not the same. At all.
yeah that fits better with what i was saying :)
i just had an epiphany, if you think about it capcom has experimented alot with their franchises, like they are doing with DmC. they do it with the megaman series, making different types of megaman games that aren't necessarily considered canon, resident evil series, they are somewhat doing this with resident evil: operation raccoon city. you play as the bad guys trying to kill the good guys, and then street fighter x tekken crossover. so now that i think about it i'm not suprised they are now doing this with devil may cry.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
yeah that fits better with what i was saying :)
i just had an epiphany, if you think about it capcom has experimented alot with their franchises, like they are doing with DmC. they do it with the megaman series, making different types of megaman games that aren't necessarily considered canon, resident evil series, they are somewhat doing this with resident evil: operation raccoon city. you play as the bad guys trying to kill the good guys, and then street fighter x tekken crossover. so now that i think about it i'm not suprised they are now doing this with devil may cry.
Same here. Which is why when someone made a thread that said "If DmC does bad DMC will die with it as well" i said "This is a biased thread". Because if DmC does bad they will just continue with a new DMC game.

They are milking their games alot. It's business, but nowdays Capcom does it constantly.
I guess gamers have lowered their exceptations.

I play Blood Omen 2 (Ps2), Battle Hunter (Playstation one poor quality game) and Parasite Eve 2.

That shows how boring games are nowdays to me. Despite the "Oh look this game has so great graphics. Let's look at it and admire it!".

Graphics isn't so important. First you need to have a game concept before you can go on and in later games polish the graphics.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
I hope after DmC that DMC serie dies as well.

It really feels pretty stale without Hideki. And DMC 2 and 4 was like Hansel and Gretel going into forest but finding no house made out of candy (as in DMC 2, and 4 not being consistent to story).

DMC 3 was ok, but didn't explain to much about story. It only told us a alternative version of how Vergil got caught.

DMC 1 story owns. The look on Dante's face when he thinks back at his and Vergil's birthday:
4:46 great story telling moment

And if only thing that matters most for you in DMC is the gameplay then DMC 4 and 3 is very good at it. Why go play ModernWarfare 3,4 and 5 when Modernwarfare 2 or 1 is just as good.
i like all the devil may cry games for the different things they brought to the table, but yeah i must admit i wished i knew what would've happened if hideki continued the series. also, to me gameplay is the MOST important factor in a game, but that's not the only thing and yes dmc3 and dmc4 are good at it. that's why i still play dmc4 from time to time, and i can't wait to play dmc3 when the hd collection comes out! DmC, from my point of view also looks like it has good gameplay, but i won't be able to tell fully until i play it.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
Same here. Which is why when someone made a thread that said "If DmC does bad DMC will die with it as well" i said "This is a biased thread". Because if DmC does bad they will just continue with a new DMC game.

They are milking their games alot. It's business, but nowdays Capcom does it constantly.
I guess gamers have lowered their exceptations.

I play Blood Omen 2 (Ps2), Battle Hunter (Playstation one poor quality game) and Parasite Eve 2.

That shows how boring games are nowdays to me. Despite the "Oh look this game has so great graphics. Let's look at it and admire it!".

Graphics isn't so important. First you need to have a game concept before you can go on and in later games polish the graphics.
oh i definitely agree with you about the graphics idea, but i have to disagree with you about capcom milking the devil may cry franchise. the reason i say that is because so far (and hopefully never!) capcom hasn't used any dlc in devil may cry (milking it for money). also i think capcom is trying too many new things with devil may cry to consider it "milking" it, but that's just how i see it. personally my definition of milking a franchise would be just doing the same ideas over and over again and not adding in anything different, new, innovative, or even just using ideas that are trendy at a certain point in time. (for example f.3.a.r adding melee and sprint into the franchise, just because there's so many first person shooters doing it.) btw i just realized me and cooldemon are going waaaay off topic lol maybe we should continue this conversation in PM. sorry guys :p

ZeroLove

We're on a Devil May Cry forum discussing the new Devil May Cry game (in its own section even, not even in a General Gaming section) and then you ask if it is a Devil May Cry game? Really?

I can understand if you wonder what connection it might have to the original series, if it even has any, but wether or not if it is a Devil May Cry game is a redundant question as it is so obvious on so many levels that it is. Either you are in denial or your fan-rage must have blinded you.

CoolDemon

X will never be Y
We're on a Devil May Cry forum discussing the new Devil May Cry game (in its own section even, not even in a General Gaming section) and then you ask if it is a Devil May Cry game? Really?

I can understand if you wonder what connection it might have to the original series, if it even has any, but wether or not if it is a Devil May Cry game is a redundant question as it is so obvious on so many levels that it is. Either you are in denial or your fan-rage must have blinded you.
Just like the so called death threats i am questioning what makes DmC a DMC game.

And based on my discussion with Choco the only thing i can conclude is that it's a DMC game because Capcom owns the game.

The majority of people in Galileo's time thought the sun circled around earth. Do you really believe just because we are on a DMC forum that it's enough proof?

I see only people calling DmC a DMC game because of it's gameplay. And that same gameplay exists in Bayonetta - so i fail to see how DmC is really a DMC gameplay.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm looking at the original article and thinking over the comments made. I'm not sure how to take them or how to explain my confution.

Alright, so the statement is, by Tammy, that Japanese game characters are designed with a style over substance view, characters are made to look cool but they lack a reason to be so. Dante's hair color is white for no reason. I western games they follow the age old form follows function philosophy we've all learned in art school. If this character has this there is a reason for it and it must always be explained (that's actually a very Hollywood philosophy). If Dante's hair is white we must go on to explain the why, if he's got a red coat we must make a long and sadisfactory explination, I get the impression that there is an underline point that implies that the western way is right and the eastern way not, which is bullshit, there is no such thing as 'the right way' only diferences in choices, with out ether or the world would be borring and we'd be stuck with the one design philosophy and it'd get old fast.

I don't know if that is the implication, maybe they are just saying that they do it that way, we do it this way, but that guy, the director, strikes me as such an arrogant dick. I've read a few interviews with his and that's the impression I get from him. I know he's supposedly gotten a bit more humble in the last year since starting this project but I've read an interview where the guy asking questions pretty much says that it must be hard having to deal with whinny fans, I forget the exact responce but he pretty much goes on about how the fans are, and I remember not been to flattered by it. I might be wrong and reading too much into it but there, in the point of this article, one of the reasons I am dissadisfied with this project.

I play whatever I want, be it western or eastern games. I play DMC and I expect that eastern flavor that it has that you can't get in the west. I play Batman AA and I expect a certain experience, one different from DMC. Like playing chess and pocker, I don't want to make chess more like pocker just because pocker has an appeal that sells, I want to play chess for chess. Again, I'm not explaining very well, I'm sorry, but if you understand what I'm trying to say that's sort of what I'm nagging about.

Ana

I'm looking at the original article and thinking over the comments made. I'm not sure how to take them or how to explain my confution.

Alright, so the statement is, by Tammy, that Japanese game characters are designed with a style over substance view, characters are made to look cool but they lack a reason to be so. Dante's hair color is white for no reason. I western games they follow the age old form follows function philosophy we've all learned in art school. If this character has this there is a reason for it and it must always be explained (that's actually a very Hollywood philosophy). If Dante's hair is white we must go on to explain the why, if he's got a red coat we must make a long and sadisfactory explination, I get the impression that there is an underline point that implies that the western way is right and the eastern way not, which is bullshit, there is no such thing as 'the right way' only diferences in choices, with out ether or the world would be borring and we'd be stuck with the one design philosophy and it'd get old fast.

I don't know if that is the implication, maybe they are just saying that they do it that way, we do it this way, but that guy, the director, strikes me as such an arrogant ****. I've read a few interviews with his and that's the impression I get from him. I know he's supposedly gotten a bit more humble in the last year since starting this project but I've read an interview where the guy asking questions pretty much says that it must be hard having to deal with whinny fans, I forget the exact responce but he pretty much goes on about how the fans are, and I remember not been to flattered by it. I might be wrong and reading too much into it but there, in the point of this article, one of the reasons I am dissadisfied with this project.

I play whatever I want, be it western or eastern games. I play DMC and I expect that eastern flavor that it has that you can't get in the west. I play Batman AA and I expect a certain experience, one different from DMC. Like playing chess and pocker, I don't want to make chess more like pocker just because pocker has an appeal that sells, I want to play chess for chess. Again, I'm not explaining very well, I'm sorry, but if you understand what I'm trying to say that's sort of what I'm nagging about.

I think I get what you mean. He says "imagine what a character would look like if they were in a movie," but what if I don't want a game that looks like a movie?

Another problem is that he sounds like he thinks his way of doing things is somehow inherently better. We already had an explanation for why Dante's hair is white - his father, Sparda, had white hair. It's hereditary. Why does Sparda have white hair? Because he's a demon. (Maybe he wanted to look like that. Maybe he didn't quite manage to look like a human; Nevan still has green skin after all.) When you get down to making a big deal out of why Dante wears a red coat, it's a little ridiculous to act like an explanation is even necessary. Maybe Dante just likes red. He's got a show off personality. Why not?

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Another problem is that he sounds like he thinks his way of doing things is somehow inherently better. We already had an explanation for why Dante's hair is white - his father, Sparda, had white hair. It's hereditary. Why does Sparda have white hair? Because he's a demon. (Maybe he wanted to look like that. Maybe he didn't quite manage to look like a human; Nevan still has green skin after all.) When you get down to making a big deal out of why Dante wears a red coat, it's a little ridiculous to act like an explanation is even necessary. Maybe Dante just likes red. He's got a show off personality. Why not?

One question, are you me?

This is EXACTLY what I got from his words. It's beyond the extent of ridiculousness(if that's a word) if they feel the need to explain everything! I mean, c'mon...somethings are good the way they are.

Top Bottom